daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2016, 11:27 PM   #3141
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
40 years of planning to build a two-lane expressway that replaces a two-lane expressway. I don't want to criticize anything since I guess there must be strong reasons for the old road to be replaced, but this sounds bizarre to me.
The only reason was to remove the noise walls and exhaust gases from the centre of this village: https://www.google.ch/maps/@46.23693...7i13312!8i6656

The section from Bellinzona to the tunnel has been widened to full 2+2 lanes plus shoulder. This and the section north of the tunnel give plenty of space for overtakings, while the almost 70 km long single lane mountain section (with a few 2+1 uphill) means that this short single lane tunnel is not considered problematic. Works are going on also on other tunnels on this autostrasse, but just to build a small diametre safety tube.

Building undersized infrastructures is a common habit in Switzerland anyway, one famous rail example are the two light rail and metro lines in Lausanne which were built partially with a single track to save a few millions, but which started quickly to become problematic. In particular, metro line 2 was opened in 2008 recycling an exsisting narrow single track tunnel, and before 2020 (just a dozen years after) they plan to build a second tunnel to increase capacity-something that will obviously cost much more than what they saved in 2008. And there are other non rail examples.

There is a partial interchange (only to/from south) under construction just south of the tunnel, so if the tunnel closes traffic will use it, not the interchange in Bellinzona. Anyway the tunnel has been opened yesterday, so no big work can be expected before 2050, and it is quite short and thus quick to refurbish anyway. As for small maintenance, there are many other single tube tunnels on the A13, including the summit tunnel which has no alternatives in winter...

(apparently, finally the cost rose to 440 million)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

verreme, MichiH, Highway89 liked this post
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2016, 08:04 PM   #3142
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

A2 Luzern

The Federal Council (Bundesrat) has approved the 'Bypass Luzern', a new twin-tube tunnel for A2 and a widening of A14 to Buchrain to 2x3 lanes. The projected cost is 1.7 billion CHF. Construction is estimated to take 10 years and is planned to start in 2025.

Press release: https://www.astra.admin.ch/astra/de/...-id-64521.html

Project website: http://www.bypasslu.ch/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Babenhausen Süd, Manolo_B2, junky liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 07:37 PM   #3143
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9 Wallis-Valais

A9 between Leuk/Susten-Ost and Gampel-Steg-West (both are semi-interchanges) opens to traffic tomorrow. It is a 7.5 km segment of motorway through the Rhône Valley. Construction took 12 years, although most of the time the works were dormant.

Old November 29th, 2016, 07:56 PM   #3144
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Schaffhausen

A4 in the northern city of Schaffhausen will be expanded to a four lane motorway. ASTRA has approved its plans, which will now move into review and consultation phase.

The plan is to expand the Fäsenstaub Tunnel to two tubes, and turn the present two-lane A4 north of the tunnel into a double-deck motorway (it probably will replace the current double-deck structure, the wording isn't too clear on it).

The Schaffhausen-Nord exit will be eliminated, as a compensation, the Mutzentäli interchange will be reconstructed for access to Schaffhausen.

The project has a budget of 473 million CHF (€ 439 million, or € 125 million per kilometer). It is expected to begin construction in 2025, which will take 8-9 years.

Presently some 30,000 vehicles per day drive through the single-tube Fäsenstaub Tunnel.

http://www.nzz.ch/schweiz/nationalst...usen-ld.131250

http://www.cholfirsttunnel.ch/images...es_Projekt.pdf

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:13 AM   #3145
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A4 in the northern city of Schaffhausen will be expanded to a four lane motorway. ASTRA has approved its plans, which will now move into review and consultation phase.
Apparently still no plans about closing the gap between the Swiss and German motorway networks here.
Old November 30th, 2016, 06:33 PM   #3146
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Apparently still no plans about closing the gap between the Swiss and German motorway networks here.
Yep, I think it's not planned by Swiss authorities and it's definitely not planned by German authorities at all.

AADT is increasing though: http://www.svz-bw.de/fileadmin/verke..._Bietingen.pdf.

11,700 vehicles/day in 2004, 15,900 in 2015.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 07:26 PM   #3147
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A16: Court – Loveresse 8.8km (? to Spring 2017) [1st c/w] – projectmap
Announced to be opened on 3rd April 2017. Source. It's the last A16 section because the second to last section is to be opened next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A16: Delemont-East – Choindez 4.9km (? to 5th December 2016) [1st c/w] – projectmap

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 04:03 PM   #3148
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've noticed many large motorway projects in Switzerland are scheduled around 2025 (the 2020s decade). Do they have that much more funding available around that time, or is it just a general idea that it will take years before construction starts (a 'moving date' for when construction may start).

Projects mentioned so far;

* A1/A6 upgrades at Bern
* A1 widening east of Solothurn
* A1 Zürich Northern Bypass
* A1 possible Glattalautobahn near Zürich
* A2 Osttangente Basel
* A2 Luzern Bypass
* A2 Gotthard Tunnel renovation / potential second tube
* A4 Schaffhausen expansion
* A4 Axenstrasse upgrade
* A5 western leg of the Biel/Bienne Bypass
* A9 remaining segments between Sierre and Brig
Old December 3rd, 2016, 03:18 AM   #3149
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Quote:
A9 between Leuk/Susten-Ost and Gampel-Steg-West (both are semi-interchanges) opens to traffic tomorrow. It is a 7.5 km segment of motorway through the Rhône Valley. Construction took 12 years, although most of the time the works were dormant.

Will this Motorway ever be complete? Its a neverending story like the German A1

VECTROTALENZIS liked this post
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2016, 11:04 PM   #3150
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A16 'Transjurane'

Some photos of the newly opened segment of A16 between Delémont and Choindez. The 3287 meter long Tunnel du Choindez is only a single tube. A16 is overall quite expensive at € 6 billion / € 71 million/km, in particular considering that quite a number of tunnels are only operated as a single tube.

Old December 26th, 2016, 05:38 PM   #3151
ChrisZwolle
Road user

http://www.oldmapsonline.org/map/cuni/1142494

A map showing the Swiss route numbering system as it was implemented in 1912.

No roads are shown at all in Graubünden, as cars were banned there between 1900 and 1925.

A table with all 1912 road numbers: https://sites.google.com/site/roadnu...tstrassen-1912

Luki_SL liked this post
Old January 6th, 2017, 07:51 PM   #3152
ChrisZwolle
Road user

40 vehicles were involved in a pile-up on A3 in the canton of Glarus this morning. The cause was reported to be dense fog. 17 people were injured.

Old January 7th, 2017, 04:48 PM   #3153
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

There were some questions concerning road cleaning services coming up after this crash. The spokesperson of Bundesamt für Strassen "Astra" (Federal office of roads), Thomas Rohrbach, emphasized that despite all efforts of cleaning the roads, funded by Astra, motorists cannot take black surfaces for granted.
"Everybody has to assume his/her personal responsibility. Not everything can be in perfect state at any moment. One has always to adapt to given conditions".

http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/news/sto...sein--27284111

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 05:13 PM   #3154
rarse

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

Is this Tern font? Does that mean Switzerland will adopt the old font and in future have the same font as the other EU countries, although it's not EU?
rarse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 05:24 PM   #3155
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Switzerland uses Frutiger for their directional signage. Which happens to be very similar to Tern.

rarse, Luki_SL, pai nosso, devo liked this post
Old January 18th, 2017, 03:07 PM   #3156
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Traffic chaos on A1 Lausanne - Genève due to blowing snow.

junky, x-type, pai nosso, Vaud liked this post
Old January 18th, 2017, 11:49 PM   #3157
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

The speed traps, approx. every 5 kms on that stretch (with one visible in the photo) enjoying a good break. Less so the drivers ...

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 01:47 AM   #3158
OulaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarse View Post
Does that mean Switzerland will adopt the old font and in future have the same font as the other EU countries, although it's not EU?
The EU countries don't have the same font.

I don't even have an idea about which font you mean with "the same font". I only know two EU countries that have the same font, Slovenia and Croatia; and those two only because they used to belong to the same country relatively recently.

Are there others? I'm not sure, I haven't driven in all of them.

Last edited by OulaL; January 19th, 2017 at 02:50 AM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 01:49 AM   #3159
OulaL

(double message, mods may delete, please)

Last edited by OulaL; January 19th, 2017 at 02:50 AM.
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 01:33 PM   #3160
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
I don't even have an idea about which font you mean with "the same font". I only know two EU countries that have the same font, Slovenia and Croatia; and those two only because they used to belong to the same country relatively recently.
'Transport', invented for use in the UK, is also used in Ireland, Greece, Cyprus and Portugal. (UK, Ireland and Portugal also use the sister-font 'Motorway' font as well).

And Luxembourg uses the font of whichever bordering country they are using the sign design manual from that time!

Any attempt to create an EU-standard of road signs will be a total mess with at least 4 or 5 countries able to convincingly say that their signs are the best and should be the standard, plus another couple who would push for their not-so-good standards to be considered. I'd imagine that it would be one of the last things unified in ever-closer union.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
schweiz