daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #1121
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

I don't know the N27 (Engadin road), but road N28 Landquart-Davos is very good maintained and wide, the Flüela pass can be narrower (but can be avoided by the shuttle train in the Vereina tunnel).

The Chur-Andermatt-Brig road (19) is also very good, considering the kind of traffic, but expect some little problems if you have to cross a truck or a bus on the Furka (shuttle train also here) and Oberalp passes.

The N9 Brig-Martigny is good as it was the main road before the opening of the A9 for which you need the vignette. The N9 crosses the towns along it, just like the others (except N28 which has some bypass tunnels).

I don't know anything about any hotel or other accomodation.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #1122
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Hotels are extremely expensive in Switzerland, though it is possible to find some cheaper accomodations here and there. € 100 per night is nothing. I would continue into France and get an F1 or other roadside hotel for € 30 - 40 per night.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #1123
Coccodrillo

The cheapest hotel I know in the region is the Visperhof in Visp, at 80 € (single room, with only one bed) to 140 € (double room). It is near the railway station and the main road and it is clean and confortable. Less accesible hotels can be cheaper, especially (and obviously) those far from railway stations and main roads, outside tourist localities (like Andermatt or even Martigny).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old January 9th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #1124
marco1980

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
I don't know the N27 (Engadin road), but road N28 Landquart-Davos is very good maintained and wide, the Flüela pass can be narrower (but can be avoided by the shuttle train in the Vereina tunnel).

The Chur-Andermatt-Brig road (19) is also very good, considering the kind of traffic, but expect some little problems if you have to cross a truck or a bus on the Furka (shuttle train also here) and Oberalp passes.

The N9 Brig-Martigny is good as it was the main road before the opening of the A9 for which you need the vignette. The N9 crosses the towns along it, just like the others (except N28 which has some bypass tunnels).

I want to travel only by car. I want to see the most beatiful mountains in the Europe.

Jezus Chrystus
marco1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #1125
marco1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Hotels are extremely expensive in Switzerland, though it is possible to find some cheaper accomodations here and there. € 100 per night is nothing. I would continue into France and get an F1 or other roadside hotel for € 30 - 40 per night.

I will have to. I will never pay 100 Euro for one night.

In Switzerland can I sleep in the car or not?

Jezus Chrystus
Old January 9th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #1126
Coccodrillo

Shuttles are used by local people and medium-small trucks the whole year, and by anybody durig winter period (october-may) when roads are closed. Sometimes these roads are closed also during summer, when snowfalls are rare, but may happen.

Old January 9th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #1127
czerwony_bo_szybszy

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1980 View Post
I will have to. I will never pay 100 Euro for one night.

In Switzerland can I sleep in the car or not?
I drove through Suisse last year and had no problem with sleeping in my car, I doubt if it`s banned anywhere - You can always say that you suddendly felt tired and stopped for a while to drive safe
+ good idea to buy petrol in Suisse/Austria, much cheaper than in DE/FR
+ try to visit Bern - wonderful!
czerwony_bo_szybszy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #1128
Coccodrillo

I would not sleep in a rest area along a motorway...

Old January 9th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #1129
ther

Likes (Received): 0

We don't need to be as carfriendly as america. In fact, I'm glad we're not waisting so much room on huge parking spaces and unneccesary big roads.
ther no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #1130
marco1980

Quote:
I would not sleep in a rest area along a motorway...
Why?

Jezus Chrystus
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #1131
Coccodrillo

Racists-burglar-violent-drunk people are everywhere...but maybe I'm just impressed because recently a man has been killed in a rest area near my home.

Old January 9th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #1132
marco1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by czerwony_bo_szybszy View Post
I drove through Suisse last year and had no problem with sleeping in my car, I doubt if it`s banned anywhere - You can always say that you suddendly felt tired and stopped for a while to drive safe
+ good idea to buy petrol in Suisse/Austria, much cheaper than in DE/FR
+ try to visit Bern - wonderful!

I will try to visit during return to the Poland.

Jezus Chrystus
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #1133
marco1980

Quote:

Coccodrillo, Can U tell me something? Should I install in my car better brakes? How Swiss driver prepare his cars for a ride in the mountains?

Jezus Chrystus
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #1134
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Downhill you don't brake with your brakes but with your engine. You want to drive downhill in 2nd or 3rd gear. If you use your engine braking you really only need to brake with the pedals for really sharp turns.

The most annoying thing I found about driving downhill are tourist (especially the Dutch) who use their pedal brakes all the time so you can't let your car run in 3rd gear, but you have to apply extra braking all the time.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #1135
marco1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Downhill you don't brake with your brakes but with your engine. You want to drive downhill in 2nd or 3rd gear. If you use your engine braking you really only need to brake with the pedals for really sharp turns.

The most annoying thing I found about driving downhill are tourist (especially the Dutch) who use their pedal brakes all the time so you can't let your car run in 3rd gear, but you have to apply extra braking all the time.
I know that engine is first and most important brake. But, if I will drive through the highest passes, 5-7 per day... I don't want to burn my brakes

Jezus Chrystus

Last edited by marco1980; January 11th, 2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old January 11th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #1136
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

It doesn't matter how many passes you will do a day. Your brakes have enough time to cool down between the passes. The only problem is constant braking, then your brakes can get to hot.
Do you have your own car or rental? Try to get a manual or a automatic with a good shift down possibility. I once had a problem with an American car t the Splügen pass, it only had gear 1 & 2 option and 1 was to slow and in 2 I had to brake a lot. I had to stop in the middle of the pass to let the car cool down.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #1137
marco1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
It doesn't matter how many passes you will do a day. Your brakes have enough time to cool down between the passes. The only problem is constant braking, then your brakes can get to hot.
Do you have your own car or rental? Try to get a manual or a automatic with a good shift down possibility. I once had a problem with an American car t the Splügen pass, it only had gear 1 & 2 option and 1 was to slow and in 2 I had to brake a lot. I had to stop in the middle of the pass to let the car cool down.

I have my own car. I think that I install sport disc and pads. I haven't big experience in driving through the high passes. Only two passes with altitude 1100m.

Jezus Chrystus
Old January 12th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #1138
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1980 View Post
I have my own car. I think that I install sport disc and pads.
You won't need them, unless you plan to drive at 250km/h. Use your engine to brake. My father did the Four Passes in Trentino Alto Adige (Passo Sella 2240m, Passo Pordoi 2239m, Passo Campolongo 1875m, Passo Gardena 2121m) all in few hours, back in the '80 driving a good ol' Fiat Ritmo with drum brakes, with no problems at all.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 03:33 AM   #1139
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Agreed.
Quote:
Newer cars with automatics have 4 spd transmissions at the very least. Most, if not all have O/D as well. That gives you the extra gear when you lock the tranny into L1, L2, L3 and maybe L4 if it's a 5 spd (L stands for Lock btw). Just use the same gear you would if you were driving a manual.

Manual and automatics are your only choice E. J.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #1140
marco1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
You won't need them, unless you plan to drive at 250km/h. Use your engine to brake. My father did the Four Passes in Trentino Alto Adige (Passo Sella 2240m, Passo Pordoi 2239m, Passo Campolongo 1875m, Passo Gardena 2121m) all in few hours, back in the '80 driving a good ol' Fiat Ritmo with drum brakes, with no problems at all.

I'm stumped.

Jezus Chrystus

Tags
schweiz