daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 12th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #1141
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1980 View Post
I'm stumped.
About what?
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #1142
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf View Post
Agreed.

Newer cars with automatics have 4 spd transmissions at the very least. Most, if not all have O/D as well. That gives you the extra gear when you lock the tranny into L1, L2, L3 and maybe L4 if it's a 5 spd (L stands for Lock btw). Just use the same gear you would if you were driving a manual.
The current car I is automatic with geartronic and 7 gears, I always find the right one to drive downhill.

Quote:
Manual and automatics are your only choice E. J.
I use brakes for you to make it more clear:

Try to get a (manual) or a (automatic with a good shift down possibility).

The third option would be a automatic with bad gear locks (like the American car I used to drive)

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:11 AM   #1143
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
The third option would be a automatic with bad gear locks (like the American car I used to drive)
What make was it? I had an 05 Pontiac Grand Am which had a 4 spd auto. The gear lock worked just fine on it, even on the steepest of hills. I miss that car...
Old January 14th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #1144
marco1980

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
About what?
Still don't know what to do. But I think that I must hear what you have said.

Jezus Chrystus
marco1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #1145
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Some plans of the proposed Biel western bypass can be seen here: http://www.a5-biel-bienne.ch/fr/comm...ers-de-presse/ ("Conférence de presse du 19 avril 2010", then "Uebersicht" files).

As usual this includes a lot of tunnels, a total of over 6 km to be added to the 4 km of the eastern baypass. The Port tunnel is considered the best option, so variant 1C is escluded. Cost is estimated around 1.5 to 2 billions francs (1.1 to 1.5 billions euro). Opening could be between 2020 and 2030.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #1146
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

That is a very nice project. I'd call it a southern bypass though.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #1147
Coccodrillo

Projected traffic levels (rounded, they differ slightly for each variant):

2x2 Eastern bypass (under construction): 28.500 variant 0, the others 34.000
2x2 Weidteile tunnel: 36.000
2x2 City tunnel: 19.000-23.000 variants 1 and 2, 7.000 variant 3 (1x2 in this case)
1x2 Vingelz tunnel: 12.000-17.000

Variant 0 means doing nothing (escept small improvements in the city centre). The variant recommended by this study is number 2. Note that Port is a municipality (physically a neighborhood of Biel-Bienne, but indipendent), not the port of Biel-Bienne.

A motorway along the southwastern side of the lake has apparently been discarded long time ago.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Last edited by Coccodrillo; January 14th, 2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old January 15th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #1148
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

I drove through a big part of Switzerland last week and noticed some construction going on at the A4 between the interchange with the A4a and the interchange with the A14, this will be upgraded from 2x2 to 2x3. If I'm correct this should be completed in 2012, works were well underway.

There was more construction going on the A2 on the northern part of Luzern. Not sure what they were doing though.

On the A8 towards Interlaken a by pass is being build around the town of Lungern, which will consist of a long tunnel around the village on the eastern side.
Old January 15th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #1149
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1980 View Post
Still don't know what to do. But I think that I must hear what you have said.
You'll be fine. Just take your time, use your lower gears to control your speed and just make the lightest of brake applications. It's that simple. Oh yeah... One more thing: Don't forget to stop and enjoy the view.
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #1150
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
There was more construction going on the A2 on the northern part of Luzern. Not sure what they were doing though.
Heavy maintenance-refurbishing of the tunnels and other parts throught Luzern.

Major projects are A5 Biel-Bienne eastern bypass, A8, A9, A16, and partly A13 Roveredo GR bypass (a tunnel replacing a bit of A13 cutting in half the village).

Also A8.it-Gaggiolo-Mendrisio-A2.ch was planned but this is nearly abandoned.

Old January 15th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #1151
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
I drove through a big part of Switzerland last week and noticed some construction going on at the A4 between the interchange with the A4a and the interchange with the A14, this will be upgraded from 2x2 to 2x3. If I'm correct this should be completed in 2012, works were well underway.
Yes, I noticed these works already in mid-2009. The traffic volumes on this particular section exceed 60.000 vehicles per day. Not the busiest Swiss 2x2 motorway, but it is likely to increase now the A4 has been completed between Zürich and Cham. Especially for the area between Lenzburg and Zürich (a quite heavily populated area), the A4 is now a better route than A1-A2 via Aarburg.
Old January 15th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #1152
Coccodrillo

The A4a was planned to reach the A3...but the Hirzel tunnels have been abandoned (one 1x2 for road, one single track for railway).

Old January 15th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #1153
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yep, it's a bit of a missing link... Only 5 km, but it is the best route from central Switzerland (Interlaken, Luzern etc.) towards eastern Switzerland and Austria. The replacement route isn't very good either, just a normal rural road that passes through villages.
Old January 15th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #1154
Coccodrillo

The A9 under construction will follow the path of the old N9 on the southern side of the river Rhône which will be enlarged to 2x2 and covered or put in tunnel for 4 km. That's why a new road has been built on the northern side, on the path of the originally single track railway, which has been widened. The railway has been put underground and doubled. Google's satellite images still show the railway, while StreetView show the road.

Location: http://maps.google.ch/maps?f=q&sourc...,0.105143&z=14 (near "Tschüdanga")

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There is already a sign showing the future A9: http://maps.google.ch/maps?f=q&sourc...46.64,,0,-4.59

Old January 15th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #1155
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
What make was it? I had an 05 Pontiac Grand Am which had a 4 spd auto. The gear lock worked just fine on it, even on the steepest of hills. I miss that car...
Jeep Cherokee. I never said that all Americans are like that.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #1156
Des
Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yes, I noticed these works already in mid-2009. The traffic volumes on this particular section exceed 60.000 vehicles per day. Not the busiest Swiss 2x2 motorway, but it is likely to increase now the A4 has been completed between Zürich and Cham. Especially for the area between Lenzburg and Zürich (a quite heavily populated area), the A4 is now a better route than A1-A2 via Aarburg.
I think the Northern-Ring of Zurich should have top priority when it comes to 2x2 upgrading.
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #1157
Des
Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Heavy maintenance-refurbishing of the tunnels and other parts throught Luzern.

Major projects are A5 Biel-Bienne eastern bypass, A8, A9, A16, and partly A13 Roveredo GR bypass (a tunnel replacing a bit of A13 cutting in half the village).

Also A8.it-Gaggiolo-Mendrisio-A2.ch was planned but this is nearly abandoned.
Thanks!

A8-A2 connection only makes sense for local traffic and to serve as a backup for the Italian A9, but I saw there was a lot of construction going on on the A9 last week as well, possible widening to 2x3?

The Swiss A13 is really quiet off-season, I didn't see any cars for at least 5-10 minutes at some point, not even in the other direction.
Old January 16th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #1158
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
A8-A2 connection only makes sense for local traffic and to serve as a backup for the Italian A9, but I saw there was a lot of construction going on on the A9 last week as well, possible widening to 2x3?
Yes, 23 km will be widened to 2x3, between Lainate and Como-Grandate, with opening date March 2013.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #1159
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The widening up to Como is no problem. The bypass of Como however is full of tunnels and widening here is unlikely. This section is also not as busy as further south.
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #1160
Coccodrillo

Quote:
A8-A2 connection only makes sense for local traffic
It is in stand by, with committees pro ( http://www.pro-superstrada-stabio.ch/ ) and against ( http://www.nosuperstrada.ch/ ) fighting between them. The road on swiss part would be 4 km on flat land without tunnels or major bridges.

Quote:
The Swiss A13 is really quiet off-season, I didn't see any cars for at least 5-10 minutes at some point, not even in the other direction.
Both A2 and A13.

Tags
schweiz