daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:49 PM   #1261
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

The german A861,the Schwarzwald or Bodensee or how ever motorway is a joke anywhere - it will never be so finished that the motorway realy looks like a motorway,they build a piece here and a piece there and then stop at all
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:55 PM   #1262
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

The A861 is completed, you're talking about the A98.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:10 PM   #1263
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
The A861 is completed, you're talking about the A98.
You are off course right,i mean that piece of motorway that in the year 3000 will not be complete
Old April 8th, 2011, 01:13 AM   #1264
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

A few variants for Morges' bypass have been selected.

The variants are:
* red, with or without the demolition of the existing motorway throught the town
* both red and blue with a new junction, and demolition of the existing motorway
* like the red part until the Y junction, then only the blue branch, and demolition of the existing motorway
* maintaining the status quo with the existing shoulder running

The best variant will be chosen in the beginning of 2012, but realisation will take years (2020? or later...).

image hosted on flickr

Source: 24heures.ch

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 03:22 AM   #1265
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

What's wrong with the existing motorway?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #1266
Coccodrillo

It's 2x2 even if with shoulder running (the new would be at least 2x3) and it pass through the town.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #1267
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

It needs to be 2x3 indeed. However, motorways going through towns is nothing exceptional.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #1268
Coccodrillo

There is not much space on the sides of the motorway, so it has been decided to built a new road instead of widening the existing one which may (as I said, the existing motorway could be retaiend for local traffic) also free space in the city centre. But this will take years in any case. 2020 may even be optimsitic.

Old April 8th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #1269
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

I sort-of like the realistic approach to road work schedule policy of the Swiss in relate to road projects (not the policy itself): they have all those 2012-2025 expected road openings and it seems they usually deliver their projects on time, instead of the usual approach of an unrealistic close ECD followed by countless delays due to weather, contract signing, "geology surprises" and alike.

Now if they only tripled the number of projects in the pipeline and added 2 new road base tunnels...
Old April 9th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #1270
Coccodrillo

There have already been relatively many new (semi)motorways under construction in recent years, it's much.

Most of these are expensive as with many tunnels. A rapid calculation gives this:

A3/A4 Zürich: 12 km (southern branches)
A4 Axen: 10 km
A5 Biel Bienne: 4 km (east bypass, +6 km for the western one)
A8: 8 km or so
A9: 22 km
A16: 40 km (that is, half of the length of the A16)
A28: 8 km

This gives around 100 km of tunnels (most with two tubes each) built in the last 10 years (or to be built in the next 10), which will finally complete the motorway network even in the mountainous regions. Except for some widenings (Zürich?), now it's time for railways.

Old April 9th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #1271
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
This gives around 100 km of tunnels (most with two tubes each) built in the last 10 years (or to be built in the next 10), which will finally complete the motorway network even in the mountainous regions. Except for some widenings (Zürich?), now it's time for railways.
A network is never "complete" as long as traffic is not stationary AND leveled off. You always have improvements to be made.

However, I personally will never consider the Swiss highway network "complete" until they:

- build a 2nd Gotthard road tunnel, for obvious reasons
- build a road tunnel Valais-Bern, opening a third alpine crossing Italy-Germany via Sempione + new road tunnel - Bern
- fix the southern approach of A13 on San Bernardino tunnel, eliminating the hairpins for a modern tunnel+viaduct descent, as that sector is rather substandard

Then I have my pipedreams, like Switzerland joining Italy to increase the use of San Bernardo tunnel, and building couple new international mountain passes between two countries for leisure traffic/ski resort development.

Last edited by Suburbanist; April 9th, 2011 at 01:39 AM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #1272
Coccodrillo

0) Road traffic is highly inefficient on city to city traffic, and some main Swiss railways are still partially single track (Luzern-Zürich), thus congested, the others being congested on two. Improving them is more urgent.

1) It's forbidden as you know. But many (I'm with them) would be happy if at least the truck limit would be reached, with or without more capacity. Anyway traffic is limited today to around 1000 vehicles per hour per direction, it should be studied if it's possible to increase this limit to 1500-2000 on days when trucks are banned (basically on Sudays) to reduce waiting times, it's the only realistic option in the next 15 years or so.

2) The Rawil road project (a 1x2 Autostrasse) has been abandoned many years ago and since then nobody in Wallis-Valais asked for a road, most Bern-Valais traffic goes by rail (15~20.000 passengers/day versus 6.000 road vehicles on the rail shuttle). On the other hand this canton is now lobbying for doubling the track of the new rail tunnel to increase the number of trains. No plans at all for a Simplon road tunnel (but train shuttle service may be increased).

3) Traffic is low (AADT 6.000) and some of it diverted from the A2, so there is no need.

The only new road (or rail+shuttles) project I would like to see are a Novena-Nufenen tunnel and one between Bellinzona and the Valchiavenna/Valtellina.

Old April 10th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #1273
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

Nice aerial of Échangeur Ecublens in Lausanne.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #1274
Coccodrillo

A nice plan of the proposed (and less nice) Geneva eastern bypass, comprising up to 10 km of tunnels: http://static.tdg.ch/LAC.pdf

Dots = tunnels, discontinuous line = trench partially covered, continuous line = open air. The tunnel under the lake would be made of immersed segments as the soil is too soft to be bored (unless going dozens of metres below the surface), an alternative could be a bridge.

Some articles in French (nothing really new):

http://www.tdg.ch/node/330494

http://www.tdg.ch/geneve/actu/geneve...lac-2011-04-11

http://www.20min.ch/ro/news/geneve/s...idee--16716052

Old April 12th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #1275
Suissetralia

Likes (Received): 67

there is a thread about the bridge in the Swiss forum Genève: Pont Léman

I personally favour the option of the tunnel, but if ever this project goes forward the bridge looks more likely to be built... although my opinion's been changing a little bit over time, the bridge doesn't look that bad either...
Suissetralia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #1276
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Nice Tunnel (Olivone-Lago Luzzone)

Old April 13th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #1277
Coccodrillo

Two videos and other photos here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...510148&page=29 (post #573)

Old April 13th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #1278
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Hey great,you also found the other one that goes thru the dam - i wanted also to drive that road but totaly forgot and i am not sure if i would find it so fast,i read about it in the denzel aplenstrassenführer.There is another fascinating tunnel in Switzerland i want to drive,the Les Agites one
Old April 13th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #1279
Coccodrillo

If you like tunnels you should then try the Munt la Schera tunnel (search also on Wikipedia): http://maps.google.ch/?ie=UTF8&ll=46...,0.077162&z=14

Or also the train shuttles (it's better if you can board first, as you don't have cars or a roof above you - the first wagons being without roof).

There are easily other road tunnels like the one you see around dams, but they may not be opened to public. There also many unknow and closed to public water, rail, road or service tunnels for dams.

On http://map.geo.admin.ch/ (at high zoom levels) you can see them: they are the blue dotted lines starting from the dams.

Old April 13th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #1280
Zagor666
Motomaniac

The Munt la Schera i drived last year twice,prety cold
I read that the road between the 2 tunnels,the first one thru the dam and the other one,has a climb of 30%,wow,thats something
The road with the biggest climb i drived till now was the Raffensteiner Strasse near Bolzano with 33%

Tags
schweiz