daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #1321
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

If you like tunnels so much then you can try the Gotthard-Seelisberg-Uetliberg in a few hours. The first two are just a 35 km apart...

Edit: Uri voters decided today to refuse the two proposals to build a second Gotthard tunnel. The "referendum" aimed to force the cantonal government to ask the central government for a new tunnel. There were two variants, one for a new single lane tunnel, one for a new two lane tunnel with the total clousure of the old one.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #1322
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
If you like tunnels so much then you can try the Gotthard-Seelisberg-Uetliberg in a few hours. The first two are just a 35 km apart...
actually, regarding the tunnels - i have some priorities. currently those are Gotthard and Arlberg in A
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #1323
Coccodrillo

Well, Göschenen-Seelisberg tunnel-first exit after it-Göschenen only takes 50 minutes and 90 km as for Google Maps.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old May 26th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #1324
Coccodrillo

Some sort of traffic calming in Lugano with kerbs separing main and secondary roads. On the road in the background traffic used to run on the left, the lane on the right of the photo being reserved to vehicles exiting a police station.

Monte Cenery road, which once had four lanes on part of the ramp.

Transport museum in Lucerne (each side of this building has a theme: on the left side city signs (white), then normal roads (blue), motorways (green) and on the last side...the signs show their back).

Old May 27th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #1325
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

that museum is really cool, I must visit it one day!
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #1326
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i have used that skech from Seinfeld at least 10 times on the internet, it is my all-time-favourite
Old June 9th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #1327
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

10 cargo wagons have been on fire in the Simplon Tunnel (railroad) for the last 12 hours. The Simplon Pass (road) has also been closed due to smoke.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #1328
Coccodrillo

Thankfully there are no injured, as there were no passenger trains after this freight train and as the tunnel has two tubes. The road has been reopened at around 17.30, the railway will remain closed until at least tomorrow morning. The fire is probably still not extinguished.

Some photos: http://www.1815.ch/wallis/aktuell/im...rrt-29347.html and http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/ber...flammen-174286

Last edited by Coccodrillo; June 9th, 2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old June 9th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #1329
Coccodrillo

This morning:

Old June 11th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #1330
Coccodrillo

Today's queues:
* 15 km A13 San Bernardino tunnel southbound around midday
* 20 km N13 Chur-Thusis
* 10 km N13 Sargans-Chur
* 11 km A2 Gotthard tunnel southbound on morning
* 20 km A2 custom to enter Italy

Old June 12th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #1331
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Today's queues:
* 15 km A13 San Bernardino tunnel southbound around midday
* 20 km N13 Chur-Thusis
* 10 km N13 Sargans-Chur
* 11 km A2 Gotthard tunnel southbound on morning
* 20 km A2 custom to enter Italy
Everybody is going to Liechtestein :p
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #1332
Coccodrillo

The avalanche/rockfalls shelters of the Simplon road are being rebuilt, and tunnels are receiving a new internal lining. This leads to long waiting times because of the only available lane. To add problems the fire in the railway tunnel means that the car shuttle cannot run. Even if the tunnel has reopened yesterday only one track is available so there is no sufficient capacity available for the shuttles.

Photos of the tunnel fire here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...4#post79409964

Old June 17th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #1333
Coccodrillo

The Simplon shuttle will be reactivated on Monday with a train every 2 hours (instead of every 90 minutes).

Old June 18th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #1334
Suburbanist
on the road

Are both tubes already opened?
Old June 18th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #1335
Coccodrillo

No, only one and a half (10 km single track). Refurbishment works were already planned in the whole tunnel before this accident, so they will be combined with repairs of the damaged part which will take months. After these works are finished the shuttle frequency may be increased to every 60 minutes.

Old June 19th, 2011, 03:07 AM   #1336
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

I'm planning on driving to Monza [Milano] to visit some friends in july. Driving there on july 25th probably. Any recommendations? I've been on the train shuttle once, took forever and I wasn't sure if it was actually faster. There was a huge jam at Gotthard so that's why we took the shuttle. Recommended by a German guy from the hotel where we stayed on the way to Italy. I loved the scenes though. I've been through the Gotthard once, also took forever. Any other possibilities? Thanks
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #1337
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
I'm planning on driving to Monza [Milano] to visit some friends in july. Driving there on july 25th probably. Any recommendations? I've been on the train shuttle once, took forever and I wasn't sure if it was actually faster. There was a huge jam at Gotthard so that's why we took the shuttle. Recommended by a German guy from the hotel where we stayed on the way to Italy. I loved the scenes though. I've been through the Gotthard once, also took forever. Any other possibilities? Thanks
Hey, I live in Tilburg but I'm from Milano. You are travelling on a Monday, so it is better than weekends. You've got several options to avoid jams at Gotthard:

1 - the nuclear option: fork some expensive tolls and travel via Mont Blanc tunnel + A5 + A4. Assuming you are coming from the Netherlands, that means going via Dijon, France (=more tolls).

2. Drive via Martigny and Domodossola. As there is no alpine tunnel, the ride will be smooth

3. If you fancy mountain road passes, at Hergiswil (south for Luzern) take the A8, then follow to Lungern, Meiringen, Grimselpass, Passo della Novena and arrive at ARiolo. This only in case you want to take longer for the sake of the sceney

4. Take the Gotthard road pass instead of the tunnel. You might get queued if there is a long, long line on A2 approaching the tunnel, unlikely in a Monday. The Gotthard road pass is quite a modern one, 70km/h possible for most of it.
Old June 19th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #1338
Ni3lS

Thanks for the tips. Thing is that I'm coming from South Germany just 20 km's North of the Swiss border because we're staying there for a week first. Then my parents will go to Eastern France close to Geneva, and we will probably spend 3 days in Milan. After that we'll drive back to France via Torino and Frejus.

How are the scenics on the Gotthard pass?
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Old June 19th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #1339
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

Gotthard Pass is pretty boring compared to Grimsel, Susten, Furka or Nufenen passes.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #1340
Ni3lS

Just watched Chriszwolle's video of the Gotthard pass. Pretty amazing stuff, really looking forward to it.

Tags
schweiz