daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #1341
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

ASTRA will study three variants for the A1 Autobahn through Sankt Gallen in northeastern Switzerland. These variants will be made concrete by the end of 2011.

The following variants will be studied:

* variant "Spange", a new bypass with 3 new interchanges
* variant "Bypass", a new bypass without interchanges
* variant "3rd tube", a third tube in the Rosenberg Tunnel with 3 lanes, widening of the existing motorway.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #1342
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

What's wrong with the existing motorway?

Btw, when was the interchange Bern-Neufeld upgraded? I've just noticed it. It looks quite complicated, and I see a tunnel to Tiefenaustrasse.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #1343
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 62

On June 24 I took the motorway from Biel to Interlaken and on every bridge the was a bunch of people waving to the cars and the trucks passing by, mostly families. Is it a Swiss custom to go to the nearby motorway bridge before dinner or was it a special day?
M@rtoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #1344
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Two parts of the A16 will open this year, preceded by two days of free visits for the public (probably only by foot, bycicle, skates and similar).

Boncourt-Bure, 4,6 km, visit on August 27th from 10 to 18, opening on November 11th
Moutier bypass, 2,1 km, visit on September 24th from 10 to 18, opening on November 25th

A bit of (semi)motorway will then follow about every year until 2016: http://www.a16.ch/A/a16_clic.pdf

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #1345
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

It makes a very strange bend and it's way longer than the straight line towards Boncourt. I know nothing about the geography of the zone but wasn't it possible to make a shorter route?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #1346
Coccodrillo

This motorway had to pass near Delémont, the biggest town in the area...with a population of only 15.000 inhabitants counting nearby villages. A more direct French broder-Biel Bienne route would have imposed a branch to Delémont (which itself certainly attracts a lot of people, on a local scale), while a direct Delémont-Grenchen (A5) route would have shortened Delémont-Zürich/Eastern Switzerland trips but would have required a single 8 to 10 km tunnel. The chosen route is then a compromise between the need of fast links and the need to serve more people as possible. It is partly 1x2 (most of the tunnels) and partly 2x2 (open air sections).

The A16 follows the same path of the first XIX century railway of this area, both of them for the same reason. Along the direct Delémont-Grenchen route there is a 8.5 km railway tunnel, the last railway built in this area, but only because it was planned to be part of a major France-Delémont-Bern-Lötschberg-Simplon-Italy railway, not because of local needs.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old July 16th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #1347
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've driven there, there is not really that much traffic, but driving times are very long due to geography and relative isolation of the area. So I understand the reasoning behind the routing of A16.
Old July 16th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #1348
Coccodrillo

Another explanation is that the railway was built on the easiest and cheapest route trying also to link as much villages as possible. Along it the villages grew more than the others not served by the railway, and this relative importance also "attracted" the A16.

Old July 16th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #1349
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Winter 2010:

"Hirzel pass" as connector road between Canton of Zug and motorway A3 in direction of St. Gallen / Chur:

Motorway A3, somewhere in the canton of Schwyz (SZ), heading eastbound to St. Gallen / Chur:

Exit Tuggen (SZ) from northbound motorway A53 (connection between A3 and Rapperswil (SG)); some km's after the exit, the canton of SG is reached

Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 07:52 PM   #1350
Coccodrillo

Some good plans of the tunnel complex south of Visp are finally available.

Visp tunnel (2,7 km): http://www.a9-vs.ch/aktuell/aktuell/...2011tunnel.pdf

Eyholz tunnel (4,3 km): http://www.a9-vs.ch/aktuell/aktuell/tunneleyholz.pdf

As usual in modern motorways (even the Dutch ones!) there are many tunnels, the longest being the Eyholz one (completely bored through rock, like Visp tunnel), followed by another one still over 4 km, but partly built as cut&cover. Full opening of the A9 is still not expected before 2016 (on some open stretches no work has started yet, because of changes to the projects to include a fouth track for the railway to be built together with the A9).

Source: http://www.a9-vs.ch/aktuell/aktuell.php

Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:18 AM   #1351
Verso
Islander

Looks like there was no other possibility than to build tunnels (or build the motorway through the town). Will there be any motorway or expressway northeast of Brig? What about A9 over Simplon? Are there plans to widen it into a motorway?
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:30 AM   #1352
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Looks like there was no other possibility than to build tunnels (or build the motorway through the town).
In Visp the only alternative were tunnels. This one has the double use of connecting the Visper valley (Saas Fee and Zermatt) and bypassing the town. In addition, tunneling hard rock is easier than boring through the (I suppose) sedimental soil under Visp.

But other tunnels might have been avoided, as are built mainly because of noise in natural areas or near buildings.

Quote:
Will there be any motorway or expressway northeast of Brig?
No, the A9 is a dead end (but the Simplonstrasse is very good, for that kind of road).

Quote:
What about A9 over Simplon? Are there plans to widen it into a motorway?
Absolutely nothing more than the already upgraded N9 (on very few places 2+1). But traffic there is very low: on average 3.000 vehicles a day outside peaks (when there are no more than 6.000).

Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:51 AM   #1353
Verso
Islander

I agree, it's enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
In Visp the only alternative were tunnels. This one has the double use of connecting the Visper valley (Saas Fee and Zermatt) and bypassing the town. In addition, tunneling hard rock is easier than boring through the (I suppose) sedimental soil under Visp.
I meant building a motorway through Visp (over ground).
Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:11 AM   #1354
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I meant building a motorway through Visp (over ground).
Like here?

(where a tunnel is being built)

Old July 26th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #1355
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
What's wrong with the existing motorway?

Btw, when was the interchange Bern-Neufeld upgraded? I've just noticed it. It looks quite complicated, and I see a tunnel to Tiefenaustrasse.
The Tunnel was openend in 2009.

Btw yesterday I was driving in Valais and was quite surprised that near Martigny Aosta was signed in french ("Aoste") and not in italian. Torino on the other hand was signed in italian.

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #1356
Coccodrillo

Maybe because Valle d'Aosta's dialect is a mixture of Italian and French (or, better said, because it's one of the many variants of Latin born everywhere in southern Europe)?

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialetto_valdostano

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdôtain_dialect

Old July 27th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #1357
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpioe View Post
Thanks!
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #1358
Coccodrillo

The horrible noise walls along the A2 cutting Bissone in two are taking shape. If at least a roof had been built, the village would have gained some welcome flat space. But no

Old July 29th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #1359
Suissetralia

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpioe View Post

Btw yesterday I was driving in Valais and was quite surprised that near Martigny Aosta was signed in french ("Aoste") and not in italian. Torino on the other hand was signed in italian.
French is official in Aosta together with Italian, so as Martigny is french speaking, why choosing a sign in Italian if it is perfectly acceptable to write it in french?
Suissetralia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:42 PM   #1360
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I wonder if it really helps that much to put a noise barrier in the median. So far I've only seen it in Austria, but apparently Switzerland started with it as well. It makes for a giant noise tube. It seems more useful to me to build two barriers on either side with acoustically absorbing surfaces.

Tags
schweiz