daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #1421
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

10 years since the Gotthard fire: http://www.astra.admin.ch/themen/nat...x.html?lang=it (IT/FR/DE)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #1422
Coccodrillo

A Slovenian semitrailer running on the A2 has been found without two braking discs, with brake pads of the other four wheels completely worn and with a damaged pneumatic. In addition the driver did not respect the mandatory rest time. The driver had to pay a bail, he was forbidden to drive and the truck repaired.

These checks were carried on all trucks in the Moleno parking area, north of Bellinzona. Around 68 trucks have been checked and 27 drivers have been fined.

Such infractions are quite common, and that's also why road transport is cheap and nobody want it.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old October 28th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #1423
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

I don't understand your last conclusion. Of course, the lack of maintenance on one's vehicle is undeniably very bad, but most infractions for truckers during checks are usually minor, such as minor overloading, small driving hours offenses, insufficient paperwork and so on. This happens when we create ultra-tight regulation.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #1424
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
The driver had to pay a bail, he was forbidden to drive and the truck repaired.
Good for our roads.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 02:41 AM   #1425
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

I am all in favor of road transport, but with zero tolerance to defective or overloaded trucks or overworked truck drivers.
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:16 AM   #1426
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

When i usred to working in transportation we've been avoiding CH as much as we could. Namely, Krone trailers on our trucks were 4,02-4,05m high. No way to enter CH with anything above 4!
Second most problematic country was Hungary. They had zero tolerance on tachographs. If they would have found two minutes above limit 2 weeks ago they fined the driver. I think similar things with no tolerance are too much.
Third worst: Bulgaria. No entering with more than 100 liters of fuel. On that way they have been forcing truckers to fill the fuel in BG. Fortunately with 10€ you can buy a star from corrupted custom officer in BG. Problem is that more of them don't let you pass so you pay at least 5x10€
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:26 PM   #1427
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

(Offtopic:
Yes, being fined by an overdriving of 5 or 10 minutes may not be a proper action. However, this dawn, a Romanian truck driver, falling asleep, killed 14 people in Hungarian M43 motorway. So according to Hungarian public opinion, police checks should be even more frequent and strict)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:30 PM   #1428
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Falling asleep can also happen if you keep within the hours of service though. It's not a guarantee that fatigue accidents won't happen. The problem is you can get fined for example in Italy for driving a few minutes too long, 3 weeks ago, 1500 kilometers away, in Sweden. Some police forces allow such things, others are very strict and will fine you even for a few minutes too long. Especially with the incredible lack of truck parking throughout Europe some overtime driving is bound to happen.
Old October 31st, 2011, 02:00 PM   #1429
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21244

I'm with the Swiss. Plan in advance, or work for a company who has crews on its routes instead of lone-drivers. Only cases of natural catastrophes should be exempt.

With more rigorous enforcement, business offering paid truck parking will increase.
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:32 PM   #1430
Samply

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type
When i usred to working in transportation we've been avoiding CH as much as we could. Namely, Krone trailers on our trucks were 4,02-4,05m high. No way to enter CH with anything above 4!
Second most problematic country was Hungary. They had zero tolerance on tachographs. If they would have found two minutes above limit 2 weeks ago they fined the driver. I think similar things with no tolerance are too much.
Third worst: Bulgaria. No entering with more than 100 liters of fuel. On that way they have been forcing truckers to fill the fuel in BG. Fortunately with 10€ you can buy a star from corrupted custom officer in BG. Problem is that more of them don't let you pass so you pay at least 5x10€
IMO CH is a drivers paradise precisely because it's a trucker's nightmare, I hope they keep it that way! Put the cargo on rail...
H: I agree with you on this point, those fines are definitely unnecessary and do little to help road safety, but I'm guessing that isn't what they have in mind when issuing the fines.
BG: does the bulgarian government have an excuse for such a law? it seems to me that being part of the EU, that should be looked into
Samply no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:48 PM   #1431
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samply View Post
IMO CH is a drivers paradise precisely because it's a trucker's nightmare, I hope they keep it that way! Put the cargo on rail...
H: I agree with you on this point, those fines are definitely unnecessary and do little to help road safety, but I'm guessing that isn't what they have in mind when issuing the fines.
BG: does the bulgarian government have an excuse for such a law? it seems to me that being part of the EU, that should be looked into
CH: absolutely agree about cargo on rail! but i don't agree about being so rigid. what have we been doing when the truck was 4-5 cm too high? released the air pressure in tyres. you can imagine what bomb on wheels that was! (of course, that was only till the first service area, where the driver again pumped the tyres on right presure - the controls were only in border). simply there must be 5 or 10% tollerance for such a things, because being rigid and strict doesn't make any sense (proven with releasing the air pressure)
H: some drivers told me that Hungarian officers are not that bad anymore. something has happened in last 2 years so they've changed.
BG: have no idea.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 03:10 PM   #1432
Coccodrillo

Timetables for Freiburg-Novara and Basel-Lugano piggyback trains for trucks (source) and for short distance shuttles (write "19" in the field, then open any of the tables numbered from 1975 to 1986).

Old November 4th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #1433
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

OK, but having 10% (it is 40 cm!) tolerance is the same as having 4.40 limit and zero tolerance. Imagine the limit is 3.65 and you got almost 10% tolerance ;-)

Actually, since the height limit for road vehicles is Europe wide 4m, I can't underdstand why some vehicles have been built over the limit.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #1434
Coccodrillo

But vehicles higher than 4 m are quite common...like those for cattle and for cars.

Old November 6th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #1435
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The pneumatic springs on the suspension of a truck is also of influence. It can make a few centimeters difference.
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #1436
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1593

Rules are there for a thing, and that thing does not include exceptions. If everyone thinks 4m is too low and that there are no reasons to hold that limit, then what should be done is modifying the law to allow for trucks measuring 4.2m or whatever is needed/possible, not asking for police to stop enforcing the laws with subjective margins of errors.
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #1437
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Actually, since the height limit for road vehicles is Europe wide 4m, I can't underdstand why some vehicles have been built over the limit.
It is not...

There are several countries allowing higher and longer trucks than the default EU dimensions on their national road network. For example, there is no height limit in France, UK, and Sweden. In Finland and Iceland, the limit is 4.20 metres, and it is 4.65 metres in Ireland. In Finland, the 4.20 metre limit applies to vehicles from EU/EEA only; for others, the 4.00 metres is the limit.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #1438
Coccodrillo

Height can limited by tunnels, bridges, overhead signs and so on. As far I remember the roof of Gotthard and other tunnels is not much distant to the roof of a truck.

==========

PDF describing the Saaser and nearby tunnels on the A28: http://www.gr.ch/DE/institutionen/ve...fnung_saas.pdf

With the opening of the Küblis tunnel around 2015, the A28 will be completed. The first project dates from 1975.

Old November 7th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #1439
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There is always some margin. For instance, if a truck (trailer) is not completely level, the front or end may be higher or lower by several centimeters, and if extreme, is usually the cause of trucks hitting bridges. In shipping they call this "list".
Old November 7th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #1440
Coccodrillo

Then with a 4.20 m truck there would be no margin...

Tags
schweiz