daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #1441
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaud
Rules are there for a thing, and that thing does not include exceptions. If everyone thinks 4m is too low and that there are no reasons to hold that limit, then what should be done is modifying the law to allow for trucks measuring 4.2m or whatever is needed/possible, not asking for police to stop enforcing the laws with subjective margins of errors.
I haven't heard of any other european country which is so strict on this. This is especially a pain in the ass for car transporters, for which a few centimeters of margin is common. At the customs, they even ask you to open the door to control the air unit, (which generally is placed underneath the driver seat) to see if it is in driving position...

Even with normal trucks you'd need some small margin sometimes. For instance: if you'll have light goods in the front of the trailer and more heavy goods on the back (perfectly within axle weight and total weight restrictions), it's likely that the front of the trailer will raise just a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist
I am all in favor of road transport, but with zero tolerance to defective or overloaded trucks or overworked truck drivers.
What is 'defective' according to you? There's a big difference between minor defects, like a defective headlight, and more major defects, like big holes in the loading floor or something.

Overworked drivers: you can't avoid that completely. I can work up to 15 hours a day (which is allowed) and still feel very active, on other days I can be quite tired after just 8 of 9 hours of working when I'm starting at irregular times. Not to mention that in the physical most exhausting driving jobs (for instance city distribution to restaurants, cafes, etc.) they barely drive a few hours a day or don't even have a tachograph.

When it comes to enforcement: generally the northern part of europe (like UK, Netherlands, Germany) do have a more tolerant policy than the more southern countries (Belgium, France, Spain, Switzerland, Italy). Getting a fine hundreds up to thousands of euros of euros (especially France) for minor offences like up to an hour too much driving time is just ridiculous...
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #1442
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

By defective trucks I mean trucks with less than stellar maintenance, like missing bright strips (where they are compulsory), damaged brake lights, uneven cargo distribution, worn out tires, out of spec patches on the air brake system etc.

As for overtime, I think there should be zero tolerance, like air pilots. If you have a plane with 300 passengers and get late to depart because of a storm, then you might exceed your crew time limit and a new crew must be brought in.

Indeed, I think trucking should be more like a huge fleet business and less like individual drivers crossing all over Europe in a stint of 3 days. So if there were more major companies, they'd have relay stations and could easily drive (in a car) a truck driver to a place where another drive is about to hit his/her time limit.

OTOH, trucks driving always around a base and never venturing that far usually get more aggressive on their driving.
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #1443
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Indeed, I think trucking should be more like a huge fleet business and less like individual drivers crossing all over Europe in a stint of 3 days. So if there were more major companies, they'd have relay stations and could easily drive (in a car) a truck driver to a place where another drive is about to hit his/her time limit.
Back to the 1800's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pony_Express
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #1444
Jeroen669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
By defective trucks I mean trucks with less than stellar maintenance, like missing bright strips (where they are compulsory), damaged brake lights, uneven cargo distribution, worn out tires, out of spec patches on the air brake system etc.
What do you mean with "uneven cargo distribution"? Of course all trucks need to be well maintained, but for minor offences there should be minor fines (or warnings) and that's not the way it is right now.

Quote:
As for overtime, I think there should be zero tolerance, like air pilots. If you have a plane with 300 passengers and get late to depart because of a storm, then you might exceed your crew time limit and a new crew must be brought in.
You obviously haven't got a clue what you're talking about, comparing truckers with air pilots.

Have you ever been driving in europe like after 20.00? There is a huge lack of parking spaces, especially in the bigger countries (Germany/France/Italy). If you planning to drive to a certain parking area, there's a big chance you have to drive through since parkings are just FULL. Which is also the reason why you see so much trucks eventually ending up on emergency lanes (Germany/France) and SOS bays (Italy), since getting a fine for parking there is less than getting a fine for exceeding driving times. You'd say that is a safe solution?

Quote:
So what are you saying is smaller companies shouldn't exist anymore? And any idea how much extra these things would cost? No, it definately isn't working that way.

I know companies that are working with switching systems, like driving 4 hours, switching trailers, taking a break and drive back 4 hours. However if someone's ending up in a big traffic jam, they'd still exceed driving time anyway.

There are also companies which are working with 2 drivers on one truck. They switch every 4,5 hours and the truck itself is allowed to drive 30 hours in one piece that way. However, this is of course very expensive and not every trucker is willing to share their cabin continiously (at least, I wouldn't).

No, imo the rules itself aren't that bad, though one or two allowed hours a day extra wouldn't hurt. But it's the lack of parking space and the way too high fines which makes working with those rules sometimes inefficient and unhuman. Especially for west-european companies, for which it is already hard to compete with our east-european brothers...
Old November 8th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #1445
Suburbanist
on the road

I agree with the lacking of parking spaces. They should make huge parking facilities for trucks, multistory, near major interchanges.
Old November 10th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #1446
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Around 40% of the vignettes is sold to non-Swiss cars, even if they make 12.5% of the vehicle*kilometre.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #1447
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, that's not really surprising. Most people who buy a Swiss yearly vignette make only two trips on motorways through the country (i.e. transit or vacation). An inhabitant of Switzerland drives year-long with the exact same vignette.
Old November 11th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #1448
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A16 Transjurane

4.6 km of A16 is planned to be opened to traffic today, in the extreme northwest of Switzerland. It will run from Boncourt at the French border to Bure. It's indicated as the northernmost section on the map below.

Old November 11th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #1449
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Is it 4-lane? Continuation looks so. But the expressway on the French side (N 1019) is 2-lane.

Last edited by Verso; November 11th, 2011 at 08:07 PM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #1450
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, it's a 4-lane motorway. However, I've seen they saved on shoulders on some sections. There are some areas with just gravel shoulders.
Old November 12th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #1451
Coccodrillo

Basically it is a 4 lane motorway, but the longest tunnels (four of 3~4 km each) have been built for two lanes only, with space (and sometimes portals) reserved for two tubes.

The 1x2 sections are (a few km south of) Porrentruy-Glovelier, Delémont-Moutier and something between Moutier (except its bypass) and Tavannes.

As the predicted traffic is around 10.000 to 20.000 vpd the two lanes are not a problem.

The A16 has been added to the motorway network project only in 1984 (all the other motorways have been planned together in the 1950s-1960s), with the exception of the existing highways/motorways which will be transferred to the federal government in the next months/years. That's probably why the A16 has its own number, and it's not part of the A6.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old November 13th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #1452
Suburbanist
on the road

Why are the Swiss centralizing the network in the central government?
Old November 13th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #1453
Coccodrillo

I don't know. Maybe to relieve the cantons of the cost of maintenance: all these roads (some 400 km if I remember correctly) are already existing and include some non motorway/non autostrasse roads (like the Julier pass road).

Old November 24th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #1454
Jeroen669

I'm back from a trip to Italy. To give you an indication about the swiss truck insanity: this tuesday I left Bad Bellingen (last rest area in germany) at about 10:30, I got through the last checkpoint in Chiasso at 20:00. That is about 9,5 hours for just over 300 kms...

Last edited by Jeroen669; November 24th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #1455
Coccodrillo

What were you transporting? From where to where?

Old November 24th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #1456
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Probably a transit route.

The A16 around Moutiers will open tomorrow. Only 2 kilometers, but still.
Old November 24th, 2011, 06:45 PM   #1457
Jeroen669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
What were you transporting? From where to where?
Netherlands - Italy, I do about one drive a week that way, now. No further details, sorry.
Old November 24th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #1458
Coccodrillo

For such long trips the Brenner may be an alternative (I don't now for your particular case) - and anyway on such distances are ok only for perishable goods.

Old November 24th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #1459
Jeroen669

Brenner is not an option, too many kms. And no, I don't transport perishable goods.
Old November 24th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #1460
Coccodrillo

Then there would be no need to use a truck, if there were alternatives...

Tags
schweiz