daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2011, 05:32 PM   #1521
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21237

Well, tunnel safety is very important. Tunnel fires are the worst possible road disaster, so a broken car is really a safety issue as it precludes prompt rescue and firefighting should a fire start at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #1522
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Snow on the A13 near San Bernardino tunnel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ywFF8psMK0

Trucks are banned on both A2 and A13.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #1523
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

A bicycle rider was caught by the police, last 29th December, riding inside San Gottardo tunnel. He managed to cover 6 of the 17 km of the tunnel before a truck driver spotted (and photographed) him and reported to the police.
http://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2012...1/?ref=HRESS-6
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1524
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
A bicycle rider was caught by the police, last 29th December, riding inside San Gottardo tunnel. He managed to cover 6 of the 17 km of the tunnel before a truck driver spotted (and photographed) him and reported to the police.
http://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2012...1/?ref=HRESS-6
Who would want to cycle through a busy, seventeen km tunnel..? Pure insanity.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #1525
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1587

some people love to take it to the limit, I would be scared to death with all those cars and trucks, not to mention the fact that my lungs would have turned black by the time I reached the end. Fortunately he was arrested and there was not an accident.
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #1526
Coccodrillo

Some mistakes, as quite usual with journalists

Quote:
Lo spericolato personaggio ha percorso ben 6 km di quello che - con i suoi 17 km di lunghezza - è attualmente il secondo tunnel stradale più lungo del mondo.
It's the third longest road tunnel, not the second, after the Laerdal and Zhongnanshan.

Quote:
Probabilmente l'uomo ha scelto di imboccare la calda e coperta galleria per evitare di dover pedalare sotto la neve che, in quel momento, stava cadendo abbondante sul celebre passo del San Gottardo.
He has not taken the tunnel because it was snowing on the pass road, but because this road is completely submersed by snow in winter. He and his bicycle could have taken a train between Göschenen and Airolo (or viceversa?) instead.

By the way, also the Furka and Oberalp pass railways are now completely blocked - even if the first traverse the pass with a 15.4 km tunnel; blocking also the two car shuttles; Göschenen-Andermatt road is also closed and Andermatt and Hospental villages are accessible only by train (because the railway is nearly 100% covered by snow shelters).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #1527
Suburbanist
on the road

I have very nice memories of Andermatt - but on a sunny, stunning August morning after I had driven through the Fürkapass :p
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #1528
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Some mistakes, as quite usual with journalists
It's surprising how often you read mistakes like this. They often base those stats of the biggest/widest/highest/longest/largest on Europe + North America and usually at least 5 years outdated.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #1529
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo
Göschenen-Andermatt road is also closed and Andermatt and Hospental villages are accessible only by train (because the railway is nearly 100% covered by snow shelters).
This means that there are villages that don't have road access at all in wintertime?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #1530
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's surprising how often you read mistakes like this. They often base those stats of the biggest/widest/highest/longest/largest on Europe + North America and usually at least 5 years outdated.
I think those mistakes are quite harmless.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #1531
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I think those mistakes are quite harmless.
Still, when presenting facts, you better get them right, especially in this day and age of megaprojects.
Old January 10th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #1532
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
This means that there are villages that don't have road access at all in wintertime?
Only these days.

Old January 10th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #1533
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
It's a special situation, I think the last time we had that much snow in the Alps was in 1999.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #1534
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Well, I found out that Zermatt is home of 6000 people but there are no roads going there! But they seems like it because it make the town quiet and clean! I wonder if there are other towns in the developed world with no road access (except islands, off course). In Italy the only one is Chamois, in Aosta Valley, home of only 100 people and accessible by foot or cable-car only.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #1535
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Well, I found out that Zermatt is home of 6000 people but there are no roads going there! But they seems like it because it make the town quiet and clean! I wonder if there are other towns in the developed world with no road access (except islands, off course). In Italy the only one is Chamois, in Aosta Valley, home of only 100 people and accessible by foot or cable-car only.
Zermatt is a mountain resort, and the costs of hauling merchandise and supplies there are extremely high anyway. There is, indeed, a road reaching Zermatt but it is unfairly closed to road traffic to boost the income of the cable car company.

Murren, Gimmelwald and other villages on the Lauterbrunnen valley are also "car-free" in the sense of not being directly accessible by roads, but they have nearby parking lots from where you take a cable car. They should convert the villages into resorts IMO.
Old January 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #1536
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Most of those villages would be completely dead if there was no tourist infrastructure or highly protectionist policy of locally produced agricultural products.
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #1537
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

That's not only true for those villages, but for about any village in the alps.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #1538
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
That's not only true for those villages, but for about any village in the alps.
True. Mayrhofen is a village, pop. around 3500, but with facilities to accomodate 10.000 tourists. Nearly all houses are hotels, guesthouses, restaurants, shops and other facilities for winter and summer vacations.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #1539
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
True. Mayrhofen is a village, pop. around 3500, but with facilities to accomodate 10.000 tourists. Nearly all houses are hotels, guesthouses, restaurants, shops and other facilities for winter and summer vacations.
/off-topic:

Doesn't it feel desolated to live in a place that is empty during the transitions (April-May, October-December)? I had a friend who lived in a place near Cortina d'Ampezzo and hated the feeling of a "ghost town" during the low seasons, particularly the one preceding the winter when it rains a lot and days progressively shorter.
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:57 PM   #1540
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
/off-topic:

Doesn't it feel desolated to live in a place that is empty during the transitions (April-May, October-December)? I had a friend who lived in a place near Cortina d'Ampezzo and hated the feeling of a "ghost town" during the low seasons, particularly the one preceding the winter when it rains a lot and days progressively shorter.
Not at all. There are always Dutch and Germans about, but it's nice to have the village to yourself again once in a while. Most restaurants and hotels are closed, but a few remain open. The cable car's aren't running, but the spring is always really mild and at times hot here. Last April we've hit 37C, while the skiing season wasn't even finished yet. So I take the dogs into the mountains, which isn't conglegated by Germans then. Also in autumn we usually have warm sunny weather. It get's chillier at 5pm, when the sun hides behind the mountains. The Mayrhofen area is right on the Italian border, but Italy is only accesible on foot. We still get their weather, and I enjoy Mayrhofen any time of the year. Also now, now that we got so much of the white stuff, that they've started dumbing loads in the river.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
schweiz