daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #1941
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Sigh. I believe the first time I was in Switzerland (1986) a dollar was worth two francs or so....

So, we're talking a $100.00 annual vignette. They really need to offer short-term options for tourists, in my opinion. Not that it affects me.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #1942
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

A4 Blegi - Rütihof

Road marking works have finished the A4 widening this weekend. A 5 kilometer section of A4 has now been widened to 2x3 lanes between interchanges Blegi and Rütihof, halfway from Zürich to Luzern.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #1943
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The € 140 tolls to get to Sweden and back is a major obstacle for me. I can drive almost 1900 kilometers worth of diesel for that kind of money. It's not that I cannot afford it, but it's not worth it (at least on a frequent basis). In the last 5 years I went to Denmark 3 times but only once I crossed into Sweden because of the high tolls.
Regarding the Baltic Sea countries, if you order a Bro Pass from Oresundsbron ( http://uk.oresundsbron.com/page/945 ) (AFAIK it's available for all EU citizens ) the price for each passage is about 50% off the regular price for a crossing. The bropass can also be used throughout Scandinavia when i.e. going on tolled Norwegian highways as well as on Scandlines ferry routes (Roedby-Puttgarden, Elsinore-Helsingborg).

Point being, it doesn't have to come off as that expensive to go to Sweden as you postulate (20+20€ for Oresundbridge, 32+32€ for Storebaeltbridge = 104€ to and from Sweden).
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #1944
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah, but the annual fee is € 36, so it's not worth it for one trip per year (4 toll crossings total)
Old August 19th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #1945
dj4life

Likes (Received): 48596

Additionally, the one can go to Sweden (Helsingborg) by ferry from Helsingørr in Denmark.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #1946
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Yes, I always use that one. Travel on a Sweden ticket that includes the Puttgarden to Roedby ferry.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:10 PM   #1947
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Popular opinion about the Gotthard tunnel congestion appears to be that "it's only a few weekends per year".

Nothing could be further from the truth. According to ASTRA, there were 182 days with congestion at the southern portal and 150 days at the northern portal in 2011. This means congestion occurs approximately 50% of the year. They note that where congestion was just some holiday weekends before, it now spreads to weeks in a row with daily congestion. Truck traffic through the Gotthard was down substantially, from 3.200 tot 2.500 per day. The highest truck count is on A1 near Rothrist with 13.000 trucks per day.

The worst congested motorway is the A1 along the northern side of Zürich. There were 349 days with traffic congestion in 2011. Overall traffic congestion was up by 20% in 2011, while neighboring Austria recorded a substantial drop. Capacity-related congestion even increased by 34% in 2011 alone.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:26 PM   #1948
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
According to ASTRA, there were 182 days with congestion at the southern portal and 150 days at the northern portal in 2011. This means congestion occurs approximately 50% of the year.
Ok, but...

Quote:
The worst congested motorway is the A1 along the northern side of Zürich. There were 349 days with traffic congestion in 2011.
...so Zürich's inhabitants would certainly prefer some money for them (not necessarily for roads), instead for the Gotthard road tunnel.

Quote:
Truck traffic through the Gotthard was down substantially, from 3.200 tot 2.500 per day. The highest truck count is on A1 near Rothrist with 13.000 trucks per day.
Climate in mountains is not the same as on plains (or low hills) like on the A1.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #1949
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

I took the pass instead of the tunnel on sunday

image hosted on flickr

GOTTHARD VALLEY by NielsKristianPhotography, on Flickr
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #1950
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

The old or the new road?
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 09:23 AM   #1951
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Judging from the perscpective it must be the new road.

http://maps.google.ch/maps?q=Airolo,...d%C3%A8re&z=17

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:23 PM   #1952
Coccodrillo

Reopening of the N2 San Gottardo - Sankt Gotthard in spring:

http://www.20min.ch/schweiz/zentrals...=48028&index=5

http://www.20min.ch/videotv/?vid=251688&cid=128

One of the two tubes of the Eyholz tunnel has nearly been completed: http://www.a9-vs.ch/aktuell/aktuell/tunneleyholz.pdf

When both will be completed boring of the second tube of the nearby Visp tunnel and construction of other sections might start, so that the snail motorway A9 might open by the end of the decade. Maybe...

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Last edited by Coccodrillo; September 1st, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old August 31st, 2012, 07:54 PM   #1953
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
One of the two tubes of the Ezholy tunnel has nearlz been completed: http://www.a9-vs.ch/aktuell/aktuell/tunneleyholz.pdf
Sitting at an English keyboard ? Or a German one?
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 08:24 PM   #1954
Coccodrillo

I'm using a new notebook with Swiss keyboard but Windows 7 continuously changes the layout to the Italian one - as it does on every newly installed system I used (even if I always choose the Swiss French layout when I install Windows, it automatically switch to the Italian layout). Apparently it's a bug, I wonder if Windows versions in French/German language sold in Switzerland randomly changes to the French/German layouts as well...the only way to solve this is to remove the Italian layout (which I didn't install) completely.

(I have correct the previous post, the tunnel's name is Eyholz, not Ezholy)

Old September 1st, 2012, 12:40 AM   #1955
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9 Visp

The first breakthrough (durchschlag) of the Eyholz Tunnel in A9 around Visp was today. This is the southern tube which is 4.225 meters long. The northern breakthrough will be in October.

Edit: I see Crocodillo edited his post later.
Old September 1st, 2012, 12:08 PM   #1956
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Let's go skiing!

Grimsel Pass and Susten Pass are closed due to snow. Snow is also covering Furka Pass and Albula Pass.
Old September 1st, 2012, 12:31 PM   #1957
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1591

Weird summer indeed :/
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 12:50 PM   #1958
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
I'm using a new notebook with Swiss keyboard but Windows 7 continuously changes the layout to the Italian one
I created a custom layout - based on the Italian one - that allows me to enter easily characters like ü, È, î and so on. Windows seems to randomly switch between my custom layout and the Italian one all the time
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 03:49 PM   #1959
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Let's go skiing!

Grimsel Pass and Susten Pass are closed due to snow. Snow is also covering Furka Pass and Albula Pass.
One morning in early July 1972, my family woke up in Yellowstone National Park to discover it was snowing.

On June 13, 1986 (100th anniversary of the death of Mad King Ludwig, by the way), the high in Munich was 9.

At age 8, I was thrilled to see snow in July.
At 22, I was not thrilled with winter weather in June on my trip.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 03:58 PM   #1960
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor666 View Post
The old or the new road?
Don't know, first time I took the pass. It seemed to be fairly new. Crazy that it's already snowing up there
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
schweiz