daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 15th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #21
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Very beautiful tower, and a great thing for Hanoi!

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #22
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57914

Hm, doesn't look that interesting... Quite boring for being considered a "landmark", sorry.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #23
allan_dude
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Good height though for SEA's second tier city.
allan_dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #24
Marshall_Azadi

Likes (Received): 0

It's very beautiful and excited
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:29 AM   #25
skidlin

Last edited by skidlin; March 26th, 2010 at 06:24 AM.
skidlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:28 AM   #26
lacailacai

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nongkhai_tong View Post
Is this approved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude12 View Post
it says U/C.
Actually, they will start to construct it on August 25th
Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:50 AM   #27
phillybud

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacailacai View Post
Keangnam to Build Vietnam's Tallest Tower

[IMG]http://i9.************/5zn65uo.jpg[/IMG]

A conceptual image of Keangnam Enterprise's Hanoi Landmark Tower complex. The main tower will be 70 stories high when completed in 2010 / Courtesy of keangnam Enterprise
By Cho Jin-seo
Staff Reporter

Keangnam Enterprise said it will start building a 70-story tower in Hanoi this month, which will be the tallest structure in Vietnam, to be completed by 2010.

Vietnamese cities such as Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon) have been known for their low-lying French colonial-era buildings with Vietnamese characteristics. Currently, the Saigon Trade Center is the tallest building in the country at only 33 floors (145 meters) high. But along with the Keangnam tower, several more construction projects over 60 stories have either been approved or are under construction in the Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh areas, reflecting the country's prospering economy.

It is not the first time for a Korean-made building to dominate the Hanoi skyline. Daewoo Group opened the 18-story Hanoi Daewoo Hotel in 1996 when there was no building taller than 10 stories in the city.

(THE KOREA TIMES)
What a contrast with neighboring Thailand. How many highrise buildings in Bangkok??

Don't misunderstand me I'm happy for Viet Nam in building this tower - it is modern and very beautiful, I admire it! - but in South East Asia, we can see where the real business, financial, touristic, shopping, manufacturing and convention hub of the region is ... and it is not Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh, or Phenom Penh, or Yangon, or Penang or even Kuala Lumpur.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:23 PM   #28
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

any construction updates?
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:48 PM   #29
dcdgbd

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybud View Post

What a contrast with neighboring Thailand. How many highrise buildings in Bangkok??

Don't misunderstand me I'm happy for Viet Nam in building this tower - it is modern and very beautiful, I admire it! - but in South East Asia, we can see where the real business, financial, touristic, shopping, manufacturing and convention hub of the region is ... and it is not Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh, or Phenom Penh, or Yangon, or Penang or even Kuala Lumpur.
Let me tell you, it's also not Bangkok, Manila, or Jakarta. It's Singapore!

And you should remember that Bangkok was behind Saigon (now Ho Chi Minh) in the 50s and early 60s. I know it was the past, and now Bangkok is more advanced than Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh. But if Bangkok could develop so fast in the last few decades, Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh can also develop even faster in the coming years. I know it takes time, but Saigon will once again become the Pearl of the Far East, due to its strategic location. Bangkok is not even its rival. The only city that can compete is Singapore.
dcdgbd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:22 PM   #30
saraprobe

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacailacai View Post
Keangnam to Build Vietnam's Tallest Tower

[IMG]http://i9.************/5zn65uo.jpg[/IMG]

The South Korean builder said Thursday that it has received approval from the Vietnamese government for the $1.05 billion project named the Hanoi Landmark Tower. The compound of one 70-story building and two 47-story apartments will be erected in the burgeoning town of Pham Hung about 22 kilometers from Hanoi, it said.

(THE KOREA TIMES)
Ops, $1.05 is staggering compared with labor charges in Vietnam
saraprobe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #31
wulizhong
Oppa Keangnam Style

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraprobe View Post
Ops, $1.05 is staggering compared with labor charges in Vietnam

Because it's a 5+ * hotel and 2 Luxury departments so i think the cost almost for the interior!

For the Bone Structure 150 to 200 M$ is enough already!
wulizhong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #32
lido0l-zen
Skyscraper freak. x]

Does all three towers reach 336m?
lido0l-zen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #33
phillybud

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdgbd View Post
Let me tell you, it's also not Bangkok, Manila, or Jakarta. It's Singapore!

And you should remember that Bangkok was behind Saigon (now Ho Chi Minh) in the 50s and early 60s. I know it was the past, and now Bangkok is more advanced than Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh. But if Bangkok could develop so fast in the last few decades, Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh can also develop even faster in the coming years. I know it takes time, but Saigon will once again become the Pearl of the Far East, due to its strategic location. Bangkok is not even its rival. The only city that can compete is Singapore.
Let me remind you that Bangkok (in the early 1900's) had PUBLIC ELECTRIC STREET CARS before Tokyo. Unlike Singapore, Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, Yangon, Manila, KL, Jakarta .... Bangkok has always been free and independent and never a colonial vassal of some European or American power.

Certainly I agree Singapore is a great city ... a wonderful city, clean and sparkling with excellant highrise buildings. A real world class city! The beautiful gardens, and the charming neighborhoods like Little India.
However .....

1. Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport surpasses those of the other cities mentioned. Many people consider it the newest, most ultra-modern, certainly one of largest, state-of-the-art airport in the world. The tallest air control tower in the world. The architecture is just stunning. Do you think such an airport will be built in Viet Nam in say the next 5 or 10 years?

2. You must admit that when it comes to Temples, Palaces, and Monuments, even Singapore can't match the grandeur, majesty and superb elegance of so many stunningly gorgeous historic structures like Wat Arun (Temple of the Dawn), Wat Pho (Temple complex of the Holy Bodhi Tree), Wat Pra Keao (Temple of the Emerald Buddha), Wat Benchamabhopit (the Marble Temple - with it's lovely gardens!), the Royal Palace, the Teak Palace, the Golden Mount (worth the Climb!), etc, etc ad infinitum!

3. The excellant modern Skytrain elevated rail system.

4. The Oriental Hotel, in my opinion - but also that [I][U]Conde Nast Traveler magazine - beats out Raffles Hotel in Singapore.

5. Because it is a Royal Kingdom, Bangkok oftentimes showcases glorious pagentry and spectacle. Examples, processions of the royal golden barges on the river, parades and military processions on the King's birthday, etc.

Well, I could go on and on, citing the restaurants, hotels, world class convention facilities (Recently Bangkok stole the title from Hong Kong for hosting the largest and most important jewelry convention in the world), shopping (Hong Kong still #1 - but the Siam Paragon Mall is wonderful), but you get my point. Frommer's Travel Guide was correct, in my opinion, when it reported that North Americans prefer Bangkok over Singapore because it was a more multi-faceted jewel, have more things to see and do, a modern city but somehow more exotic, more thrilling, more exciting.

Singapore is the cleaner than Bangkok, more orderly, more liveable, and closer to being an American metropolis. Bangkok, on the other hand, has something Singapore doesn't have: Bangkok wears the Resplendent robe of magnificent royal regalia be it the glittering temples, majestic architecture, elegant palaces, the sumptuous legacy of the Chakri Dynasty: an opulent royal capital. Bangkok is indeed opulent, Singapore never will be.
Old August 25th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #34
well-done

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybud View Post
Let me remind you that Bangkok (in the early 1900's) had PUBLIC ELECTRIC STREET CARS before Tokyo. Unlike Singapore, Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, Yangon, Manila, KL, Jakarta .... Bangkok has always been free and independent and never a colonial vassal of some European or American power.

Certainly I agree Singapore is a great city ... a wonderful city, clean and sparkling with excellant highrise buildings. A real world class city! The beautiful gardens, and the charming neighborhoods like Little India.
However .....

1. Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport surpasses those of the other cities mentioned. Many people consider it the newest, most ultra-modern, certainly one of largest, state-of-the-art airport in the world. The tallest air control tower in the world. The architecture is just stunning. Do you think such an airport will be built in Viet Nam in say the next 5 or 10 years?

2. You must admit that when it comes to Temples, Palaces, and Monuments, even Singapore can't match the grandeur, majesty and superb elegance of so many stunningly gorgeous historic structures like Wat Arun (Temple of the Dawn), Wat Pho (Temple complex of the Holy Bodhi Tree), Wat Pra Keao (Temple of the Emerald Buddha), Wat Benchamabhopit (the Marble Temple - with it's lovely gardens!), the Royal Palace, the Teak Palace, the Golden Mount (worth the Climb!), etc, etc ad infinitum!

3. The excellant modern Skytrain elevated rail system.

4. The Oriental Hotel, in my opinion - but also that [I][U]Conde Nast Traveler magazine - beats out Raffles Hotel in Singapore.

5. Because it is a Royal Kingdom, Bangkok oftentimes showcases glorious pagentry and spectacle. Examples, processions of the royal golden barges on the river, parades and military processions on the King's birthday, etc.

Well, I could go on and on, citing the restaurants, hotels, world class convention facilities (Recently Bangkok stole the title from Hong Kong for hosting the largest and most important jewelry convention in the world), shopping (Hong Kong still #1 - but the Siam Paragon Mall is wonderful), but you get my point. Frommer's Travel Guide was correct, in my opinion, when it reported that North Americans prefer Bangkok over Singapore because it was a more multi-faceted jewel, have more things to see and do, a modern city but somehow more exotic, more thrilling, more exciting.

Singapore is the cleaner than Bangkok, more orderly, more liveable, and closer to being an American metropolis. Bangkok, on the other hand, has something Singapore doesn't have: Bangkok wears the Resplendent robe of magnificent royal regalia be it the glittering temples, majestic architecture, elegant palaces, the sumptuous legacy of the Chakri Dynasty: an opulent royal capital. Bangkok is indeed opulent, Singapore never will be.
No one here doubts or disagrees Bangkok is great city, certainly better than Hanoi and Saigon at the moment. But why you had to come up with sentences like this "What a contrast with neighboring Thailand. How many highrise buildings in Bangkok??", it's totally uncalled for, we dont need you to remind us of how great Bangkok or Thailand is, because this is a place to discuss about a Hanoi's project, it was you who came here first and made boarst of Bangkok first.

I personally think for a country who never suffered from a war like Thailand, it could have reached class of Japan or atleast South Korea by now.
well-done no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #35
phillybud

YOU ARE RIGHT --- AND I APOLOGIZE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by well-done View Post
No one here doubts or disagrees Bangkok is great city, certainly better than Hanoi and Saigon at the moment. But why you had to come up with sentences like this "What a contrast with neighboring Thailand. How many highrise buildings in Bangkok??", it's totally uncalled for, we dont need you to remind us of how great Bangkok or Thailand is, because this is a place to discuss about a Hanoi's project, it was you who came here first and made boarst of Bangkok first.

I personally think for a country who never suffered from a war like Thailand, it could have reached class of Japan or atleast South Korea by now.
Your point it well taken! You are quite right and ..... I APOLOGIZE!!! The purpose of these threads is not denigrate some cities or to boost some cities over other cities. I guess I just got very defensive when the previous commenter dismissed Bangkok (a city I love and hope to live in one day) and suggested Hanoi and Saigon were superior in the recent past.

In fact, several months ago I was in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, and was thoroughly enchanted by it. It is much smaller than Bangkok, and indeed much poorer, yet it was full of lovely historical buildings, the people were friendly, lots of very good restaurants, etc. So please excuse me if I got carried away in a heated moment of defensiveness ... you were correct to point out the inappropiateness of my comparisons!
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #36
Jude12
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lido0l-zen View Post
Does all three towers reach 336m?
dont think so.
Jude12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #37
hapricorn

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude12 View Post
dont think so.
yep, only the highest tower reach that high..
this project was break ground yesterday..
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #38
tq
i'm a hanoian

Likes (Received): 176

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

-update-
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by tq; February 19th, 2008 at 08:58 PM.
tq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #39
lacailacai

Likes (Received): 12

Old August 28th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #40
Saigoneseguy
Vivat capitalismus

Likes (Received): 106

Go for Vietnam's first supertall!

Tags
hanoi, kt khuongthai