daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:28 PM   #201
davsot
Perro que ladra no muerde

Likes (Received): 47

PR-3 en Maunabo, PR

PR-3 Interchange

PR-187

Túneles de Maunabo

PR-66

http://www.emdi.net/

Photos from Better Roads Asphalt Corp.'s website
Fotos del sitio web de Better Roads Asphalt Corp.
davsot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:30 PM   #202
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

I found out Highway 18 is the busiest in Puerto Rico at 270,000 vehicles per day.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:48 PM   #203
Di-brazil
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

PORTO rico é muito bonito, essas rodovias estilo americanas são minhas favoritas , um abraço do brasil !!
Di-brazil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #204
davsot

@Chris: How did you find that out?

@Di-brazil: Muchas gracias hermano!
Old April 5th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #205
davsot

I don't know where you got that info, but PR-18 is only a small segment of the PR-52, which is San Juan - Caguas - Ponce.

PR-18 is characterized is perhaps one of the only segments of the Puerto Rico highway system with 10 lanes. That may be why it holds the title.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:09 AM   #206
Bori427

Likes (Received): 1808

Yo tambien habia leido eso, antes estaba como por los 300,000 ADT

Expreso José de Diego

Bori427 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 02:55 AM   #207
davsot

Fotos por davsot >_>
Old June 4th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #208
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244275

Very nice photo-upates from Puerto Rico freeways; Espreso Jose de Diego also connects San Juan or not?
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #209
davsot

Yep, it is San Juan - Arecibo. Connects all the suburbs in the North.
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #210
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Is there any plan in place to make Puerto Rican freeway signs bilingual? I was just wondering that if PR joins the Union, one of the impacts (not a major one) would be having some freeways added to the Interstate System, like those H- interstates in Hawaii.
Old June 5th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #211
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19365

They are already in the Interstate system

(not all of these routes are freeways, and not all freeways are shown)
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #212
davsot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Is there any plan in place to make Puerto Rican freeway signs bilingual? I was just wondering that if PR joins the Union, one of the impacts (not a major one) would be having some freeways added to the Interstate System, like those H- interstates in Hawaii.
They are already in the PR- system and yes, we would probably make signs billingual, but other things would remain the same. Like how we use the metric system.

Also, remember there is no official language in the US.
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:24 AM   #213
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post

This is strange, but I hope the Tea Party pressure change that... Don't know if it would require a law or a Constitutional Amendment, though...

Anyway, metric system would be a headache, but now I think US should join the rest of the world in adopting the metric system. Even Canada has joined.
Old June 6th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #214
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsot View Post
They are already in the PR- system and yes, we would probably make signs billingual, but other things would remain the same. Like how we use the metric system.

While there is no official language wouldn't this violate MUTCD?
urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #215
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
This is strange, but I hope the Tea Party pressure change that... Don't know if it would require a law or a Constitutional Amendment, though...

Anyway, metric system would be a headache, but now I think US should join the rest of the world in adopting the metric system. Even Canada has joined.
Oh you like the Tea Party eh , that explains alot of your anti-Rail / Transit comments here. Its there Island , let them keep it even when they join the union. It would cost millions in new signage....I like having no official language , makes our country unique.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #216
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
There's that metric interstate in Arizona, so I doubt it violates MUTCD
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #217
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
There's that metric interstate in Arizona, so I doubt it violates MUTCD
I-19 was a test, sanctioned by MUTCD. Arizona's Dept. of Transportation is actually in the progress of re-numbering those exits and markers to Imperial.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when there´s snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of it´s best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 05:42 AM   #218
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
I-19 was a test, sanctioned by MUTCD. Arizona's Dept. of Transportation is actually in the progress of re-numbering those exits and markers to Imperial.
I guess Maryland tried metric system in the 80's, am I wrong?

Maybe they can use both systems.

---------
About the Tea Party off topic remark: I'm not a fan of them, though I like that they are at least breaking the political inertia that was transforming almost all Congressional Districts into semi-hereditary feuds. They also do US at least bringing to the national spotlight things like deficit, out of control immigration and so. But I don't buy their curbside-libertarianism, nor do I support their TV/radio folks like Sarah Pallin or Glenn Beck.
----------

Anyhow, in a very hypothetically scenario, the text signaling of US is not compatible with multi-language environment. In Europe that works because almost all relevant traffic signals are pictographs, not texts (and even then some not-yet-standardized signaling like zones with restrictions for old and more polluting vehicles causes confusion).
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #219
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

I have no problem with the 'no official language' thing in the USA - and I live in a state that where, for many years after statehood, English was a minority language (in the late 19th and very early 20th Century, the #1 language spoken in Wisconsin was German). As generations passed on, everything coalesced to English.

Also, New Mexico, a strong, stable part of the USA, has had a very strong Spanish-language/Latino presence, perhaps even majority, ever since before statehood.

Back to roads, isn't that 'I-PR3' likely to circle back around to 'I-PR1' (south), especially with that construction activity in the Maunabo area? I would also add PR 30 between Caguas and Humacao to the 'system' as 'I-PR4'.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #220
davsot

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlover View Post
I don't even know how I stumbled upon this link, but found it interesting.

Most of the gas stations sell by liter. I think this is because most of the gasoline companies here are regional to Central America and the Caribbean so they go by those countries. Meters, liters, all we have are speed limit signs in MPH and the US cars display MPH obviously.

http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/signs/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Back to roads, isn't that 'I-PR3' likely to circle back around to 'I-PR1' (south), especially with that construction activity in the Maunabo area? I would also add PR 30 between Caguas and Humacao to the 'system' as 'I-PR4'.

Mike
Through PPPs, the government is trying to accelerate the completion of the tollway loop around the Island. Big projects in this administration include extension of the PR-22 expressway from Arecibo to Aguadilla. This will complete the west segment of the loop. The completion of the PR-3 expressway will take a little while longer since they have to bore another tunnel through the mountains, but the first tunnel is wonderful, they just need to receive funds for the construction.

The extension of the PR-66 expressway (PR-3) has also been met with some criticism because it would go right through the last remaining coastal buffer zone for El Yunque. El Yunque is Puerto Rico's most famous national park and one of the most important rainforests of the Caribbean. Scientist and other experts say development around El Yunque has contributed to the reduction in rainfall levels.

I am in favor of the loop, but not in favor of the unregulated development Puerto Rico has been promoting since the 1950s. Sprawl, sprawl, sprawl. Everywhere. If they want to build that expressway without getting sued, they should prepare a land use plan so the land around the coastal buffer zone, known as the Northeast Ecological Corridor, does not get developed.

Hotel agencies are pushing to build two hotels, the battle has opponents on every side. Just last year, our governor rewrote history when he became the first elected official to dismantle protection from a nature reserve, the Northeast Ecological Corridor. This essentially put in jeopardy years and years of efforts from the local population to protect the Northeast Ecological Corridor from development.

I will bring more photos soon.