daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > The Construction Forum

The Construction Forum For everything tall going up in London right now.

View Poll Results: Have your say
Demolish - Its Butt Ugly. 197 67.93%
Philistines - Refurbishment NOW! 85 29.31%
Eh? 8 2.76%
Voters: 290. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 7th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #581
menganito

Likes (Received): 13

@Core Rising

I suppose you are right, it looks a bit gothic. Those vertical slim fins, seen from this angle, are like bars in a cage or like ribs, shafts and buttresses in a cathedral wall. Nice.

@Langur

See that is a big difference: I am not sure of anything that will happen in the future. So much so that even though the current building is already in all architecture history books rated as a very fine and influential piece of work, and that does not happen to many buildings, I am not prepared to say if the substitute will or won't better that with much certainty. One thing that has been revealed is that the substitute will provide for six times more residential units. If you like hyper density that is an unmistakable plus.
Then there is the definition of "better" that you use. It is probably very different to mine.
menganito no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 20th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #582
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 12517

Demolition starts at Robin Hood Gardens site
Building Design
19 April 2013

Quote:
Work has started to demolish the north-eastern end of the Blackwall Reach regeneration site, which includes the Smithson’s Robin Hood Gardens estate.

The first phase of work will see the construction of 98 new homes, a new community centre and a new public square and the homes will be used to ‘decant’ residents from the existing estate.

-

Vnofd5, Officer Dibble liked this post
SE9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #583
SE9
South East Nine

Now that the demolish v refurbish issue has been decided, would it be beneficial to merge this thread with the main project thread: Blackwall Reach Regeneration Project | Tower Hamlets | Unknown | Pre-Planning

... which should be updated: Blackwall Reach £1.5bn Regeneration | Tower Hamlets | Demo

-
Old April 21st, 2013, 06:52 PM   #584
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 832

Merged
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:32 AM   #585
Soup_Dog

Likes (Received): 0

I spent a good few years passing this monstrosity going to and from work.

Architetural wonder or not, it brings down the entire area. I felt sorry for those living there; what a hellish and grey experience that must have been. If it sucked life from those simply passing, imagine the long term effect of actually living there.
Soup_Dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:36 AM   #586
potto

Likes (Received): 1706

never mind the buildings look at the area! Talk about OTT road systems!

jake-potato, jamiefearon liked this post

Last edited by potto; April 22nd, 2013 at 12:22 PM.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 04:09 PM   #587
Pants1254

Likes (Received): 67

Good riddance, cant believe some people really wanted this building protected at one point, its hideous and an incredible inefficient utilisation of land. I know people wanted to protect this building because of its post war brutalistic value but it has to go now make way for the new.

jamiefearon liked this post
Pants1254 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #588
annamaria4711

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
Demolition starts at Robin Hood Gardens site
Building Design
19 April 2013

Corrupt Mayor who has taken 3million from public money and nobody can find out where he has spent it as well as spending an extra 1million on his office....THIEF... political PR tart
annamaria4711 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #589
annamaria4711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants1254 View Post
Good riddance, cant believe some people really wanted this building protected at one point, its hideous and an incredible inefficient utilisation of land. I know people wanted to protect this building because of its post war brutalistic value but it has to go now make way for the new.
I would have liked to have seen it renovated etc, not just because of its historic value in my eyes...its not the buildings that fail its how people treat them...but also because the rooms within Robinhood estate are actually much much larger than those families will ever get again...some of the flats there were/are really quite spacious.....my only real dislike of the estate was the Belfast wall around it....

woodgnome liked this post
annamaria4711 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #590
Vnofd5
Lord of the Cornish Pasty

Likes (Received): 249

Does this mean we'll get a fair bit of variety or is that wishful thinking? Though I'm certainly not complaining.

Quote:
Trio of architects named for Robin Hood Gardens work
Metropolitan Workshop, Jestico & Whiles and Karakusevic Carson won Ojeu bid

Metropolitan Workshop and Jestico & Whiles have been appointed to design the second phase of the £500 million Robin Hood Gardens redevelopment.

Both practices issued a statement defending their decision to enter the competition for the controversial project to replace Alison and Peter Smithsons’ 1972 housing at Blackwall Reach in east London.

Meanwhile Karakusevic Carson has also been appointed to design phase 1b which will include 245 homes in the south-east corner, most of them private.

More than 30 practices entered the competition for phase two, including Studio Egret West and Mossessian & Partners.

Metropolitan Workshop and Jestico & Whiles were chosen by Swan Housing Association, Tower Hamlets council and the Greater London Authority after detailed interview process.

Phase two involves a new park and 239 new homes at Cotton Street, in the west of the site.

The two practices have also been asked to review the masterplan by Aedas and Horden Cherry Lee for the entire 7.7ha site which won outline planning last year.

The scheme has been hugely controversial among architects and historians because it involves destroying a housing scheme considered seminal with its then innovative “streets in the sky”. It was the subject of a long, but ultimately doomed campaign to get the buildings listed.

In a joint statement, Metropolitan Workshop partner Neil Deely and Jestico & Whiles’ Eoin Keating said they respected the Smithson’s legacy and had sympathy with campaigners’ views.

But they said there was “little point in looking backwards” now the estate was immune from listing and its replacement has planning approval, with the first phase under way.

They said the voices of residents and the local authority who “desperately want improvements” should not be disregarded.

Mark Curle, development director at Swan, said: “In addition to their skills and expertise in design and masterplanning, it was important to the project team that the selected architects were able to demonstrate strong expertise in community involvement. The plans for Blackwall Reach have the backing of the local community and consultation will remain central to the programme’s development.”

Construction of phase 1a has already begun.

jake-potato liked this post
Vnofd5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 12:40 PM   #591
mogwai83

Likes (Received): 45

Robin Hood Gardens still have a couple of years left as they haven't been de-tenanted yet. The demolition under Phase 1 was for the old school buildings on the north western corner of the zone. Demolition has already finished and piling work is underway

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by Docklandsboy, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Vnofd5, Officer Dibble liked this post
mogwai83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #592
SE9
South East Nine

Architecture Initiative wins planning for school at Robin Hood Gardens
Building Design
July 2013

Quote:
Architecture Initiative has received planning consent for a £9.7 million primary school at Blackwall Reach.

Four-storey Woolmore Primary School has been designed to take up the minimum site area, maximising landscaped playground space and providing visual amenity to the surrounding residential development.

The building has been positioned hard up against the eastern site boundary using the mass of its large spaces to provide an acoustic and environmental buffer separating the site and landscape from the busy Blackwall Tunnel approach.

This position also provides an open aspect for the landscaped areas and maximum daylight and sunlight penetration across the whole of the site.

It is part of the 7.7ha Robin Hood Gardens regeneration masterplanned by Aedas and Horden Cherry Lee.

-

George Costanza liked this post
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:57 AM   #593
SE9
South East Nine

At the Gardens yesterday:

Robin Hood Gardens - Blackwall, London by SE9 London, on Flickr

-
Old September 9th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #594
mogwai83

Likes (Received): 45

Two cranes have appeared over the last few days, looks like phase 1a is going to go up pretty quickly.

image hosted on flickr

Officer Dibble liked this post
mogwai83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #595
SF-02

Likes (Received): 79

In that pic the newer block of flats is more drab and grey than Robin Hood gardens. Impressive. I know that isn't this development but is a sad indictment of 'progress'. And with smaller windows allowing less light in. Some of RHG should be saved, cleaned up, and the barely used grass areas built on. Leaving some small squares and garden to be well tendered.

Last edited by SF-02; September 9th, 2013 at 06:55 PM.
SF-02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #596
uk.de

Phase 1B consultation event on Saturday 30 November 2013. Refreshments will be provided

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31300623@N06/11056099133
uk.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 12:36 AM   #597
Retro Specs

Likes (Received): 664

My wife wrote an article on property guardians and interviewed one of them in one of the social housing blocks that's going to be knocked down (not Robin Hood Gardens but next to it): http://london-student.net/features/1...sed-buildings/

SE9, potto liked this post
Retro Specs está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #598
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Specs View Post
My wife wrote an article on property guardians and interviewed one of them in one of the social housing blocks that's going to be knocked down (not Robin Hood Gardens but next to it): http://london-student.net/features/1...sed-buildings/
Fascinating article thank you.
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #599
tsweaver

Likes (Received): 52

interesting video from when robin hood gardens was being constructed:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UH5thwHTYNk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dammit, any idea how to embed?

anyway, here's the link

http://youtu.be/UH5thwHTYNk

Last edited by tsweaver; November 27th, 2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: embedding problems
tsweaver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #600
stevekeiretsu

Likes (Received): 1679

[youtube ] UH5thwHTYNk [ /youtube]

without the spaces

My London development & construction photos: • by area/projectby year
My Urban Showcase threads: • LondonVallettaLjubljanaFunchalOrkney
My website

tsweaver liked this post
stevekeiretsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread