daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:34 AM   #121
southwestforests

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealMist View Post
I hear ya, Amtrak is such a rip off.
When I travel between Boston and NYC I can take Amtrak for $80-$100 ...or take greyhound for $15. O yeah and they take basically the same amount of time.
Question for you, what does Greyhound have to pay to build and maintain the roads compared to what Amtrak currently pays to build and maintain their tracks?
southwestforests no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:27 PM   #122
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

That is why competitive, profit-driven rail transportation can only be achieved when you segregate and separate track ownership and train operation.
Old October 13th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #123
Ωρτimuş

Likes (Received): 29

MISC | High Speed Rail Manufacturers

Speedelia, the new Alstom’s AGV

lepays.fr

Quote:
Speedelia is based on 8 traction systems with 16 engines in motorised bogies, with total power of 10 MW. It is able to reach a commercial speed of 360 km/h. In order to free up a maximum of space for passengers, all the technical equipment has been placed beneath the chassis. The inside area has been optimised for passengers through a large bodyshell and the positioning of the pantographs which allows the same roof height for the entire length of the cars.

This arrangement provides the best ratio in terms of floor area, number of seats (between 600 and 720) and total train length (8 cars, 200 metres). The train will be able to cross all European frontiers: it can be fitted with 3 redundant pantographs of different types (1,500 volts DC, 3,000 volts DC, 15,000 volts AC, 25,000 volts AC) and can integrate 10 different on-board signalling systems. Speedelia targets operators who are looking for very high capacity in countries where networks with wider gauges permit non-articulated train sets.

http://www.transport.alstom.com/home...?languageId=FR

msnbcmedia.msn.com

Last edited by Ωρτimuş; October 13th, 2010 at 04:25 AM.
Ωρτimuş no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 04:18 AM   #124
Ωρτimuş

Likes (Received): 29

http://www.transport.alstom.com/home...707_162905.pdf

Ωρτimuş no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #125
33Hz

Likes (Received): 47

So it's a non-articulated AGV?

Poor name. Really poor.
33Hz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #126
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

I agree, the name's... mediocre. But that doesn't really matter as it's only an Alstom brand name, Alstom's customers won't be using this name much in their marketing messages.
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #127
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Hz View Post
So it's a non-articulated AGV?
I suspect it's more a further development of the pendolino's built in Alstom's Italian operations, but with the tilting equipment omitted.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #128
Nozumi 300

Likes (Received): 6

Seems like Alstom wants to get back into the Chinese market, no way is that going to happen after what their CEO said. Also why would the MOR need the "Speedelia" when they've got the Zefiro 380 :P
Nozumi 300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #129
greenlion

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozumi 300 View Post
Seems like Alstom wants to get back into the Chinese market, no way is that going to happen after what their CEO said. Also why would the MOR need the "Speedelia" when they've got the Zefiro 380 :P
Alstom had won a lot of contract in Chinese Metro market,but I can't see any possibility for Speedelia to enter Chinese market
greenlion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #130
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Front side window paint scheme took a hint from the Zefiro.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #131
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlion View Post
Alstom had won a lot of contract in Chinese Metro market,but I can't see any possibility for Speedelia to enter Chinese market
Does it have to be Chinese? Alstom has missed out on export markets in a lot of countries by insisting on working articulated. Personally, I agree with their main argument: it IS much safer. The twin problems, as far as I understand, are (1) un-articulated trains can load more passengers, and (2) some very winded old tracks cannot accomodate the "stiff" articulated trains. To the French this is no problem: you solve (1) by buying more trains, and you solve (2) by laying new tracks. Two countries seem to agree, namely Japan and Spain. The rest....?

To this comes the fact that the East Asians are now looking into the issue of wide-bodied highspeed trains. Siemens' prototypes (and some Japanese trains) can be broadened to 2+3 seats in second class. An articulated train, as I have understood it, cannot.

One of the main reasons Alstom lost the Eurostar contract to Siemens was apparently that its AGV has a lower passenger capacity. They have to address this issue FAST. China may be one factor, but only one...

Last edited by hans280; October 13th, 2010 at 08:41 PM.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 01:24 AM   #132
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
The twin problems, as far as I understand, are (1) un-articulated trains can load more passengers,
How is it that an unarticulated train can transport more passengers than an articulated one? I would asume it to be the oposite, as an articulated train can use the loading gauge more efficiently, as the Talgo Avril demonstrates.
Old October 14th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #133
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
How is it that an unarticulated train can transport more passengers than an articulated one? I would asume it to be the oposite, as an articulated train can use the loading gauge more efficiently, as the Talgo Avril demonstrates.
The truth is, I don't know. This is how it was communicated to me by an SNCF technician, fuming over the fact that the new AGV has a maximum passenger capacity of 700 and the Velaro D close to 900. - Obviously if you make the (unarticulated) train in a broadened version you get more capacity, but that's another story entirely.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #134
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
The truth is, I don't know. This is how it was communicated to me by an SNCF technician, fuming over the fact that the new AGV has a maximum passenger capacity of 700 and the Velaro D close to 900.
A 200m AGV has more or less the same capacity as a 200m Velaro. The more or less depends on seating configurations and how much comfort you allow your passengers to have, but for the same trainlength the AGV seems to offer a similar cabin length as a Velaro. Ofcourse the AGV needs more sections for that.
Quote:
- Obviously if you make the (unarticulated) train in a broadened version you get more capacity, but that's another story entirely.
Indeed, and I believe that in Denmark they have some extreme examples of that.
Old October 14th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #135
makita09

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
The Siemens Velaro pdf from the website explains it. The articulated cars are shorter to fit within the loading guage, yet must have the same toilet and doors.
makita09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #136
ironalbo
Un chileno más

Likes (Received): 62

Looks more beautiful than AGV
ironalbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #137
loco designer
loco designer

Likes (Received): 0

I was recently about to copy the Eurostar into a 7 1/4" gauge loco but, now l have seen the velaro, l have changed my mind.

Luckily l had got to the point of having ordered the engine and hydraulics, brakes and vacuum system. This can all be re-used.

I have managed to find a CNC routing co to produce the buck and could have it ready for finishing prior to moulding.

It caught my imagination because of the sleek lines, by being stylish and eye-catching. As l am to market it, this is what catches customers eyes.

It will be driven with a Honda V twin engine, hydrostatic unit, hyd' motors and finally through bevel T gearboxes.

The body will be GRP pre-coloured in the mould to save on spray painting, it's also more durable as a finish.

It will be around 13/14 feet long and be able to pull around 50 passengers.

The colour scheme can be changed to the new E320 being purschased by eurotunnel.
loco designer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #138
Cori
BANNED

Likes (Received): 111

Cori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #139
Sistemasmetroven
Ferro-Metroaficionado xP

Likes (Received): 284

Me to I agree, Miss Eurostar ( Economic Travel under water, the stations are correctly placed, easy traslation to station ( gare )

One Question??

What is gone to do with these Waterloo Station?
Sistemasmetroven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #140
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

I rode the fastest HSR line in Europe (Paris-Marseilles) last year, at that time it's still the fastest. The ride is rather bumpy, but definitely fast and exciting. I don't think the current gen TGV is as aerodynamic as the Korean KTXII, but it'll all change when AGV is commissioned.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote