daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 25th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #1441
sherwood199

Likes (Received): 425

Ladbrokes moving into the former arcade on Clumber Street, next to Poundland and William Hill... With Aldo now gone and Holland and Barrett moving in to this unit is this street on the slide ???

http://plan4.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/W...e=&pageCount=1
sherwood199 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 25th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #1442
Trent Student

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwood199 View Post
Ladbrokes moving into the former arcade on Clumber Street, next to Poundland and William Hill... With Aldo now gone and Holland and Barrett moving in to this unit is this street on the slide ???

Yes, it definitely is on the way down. It all started with the inauguration of the poundland
Trent Student no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #1443
RedArmy

Likes (Received): 10

It started with all the bloody mobile phone stores along there!!
RedArmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #1444
WillPS

Likes (Received): 1

whatever are you talking about!? Holland & Barrett is hardly downmarket and I'd prefer a bookmakers to a scummy arcade. Ladbrokes have had a presence on the Market Square for ages and I don't see anybody saying that's on the slide. Bookmakers are rich organisations and can afford high rents - most of the properties along there are owned and let independently from one another, the landlord/agent will be looking for the maximum return not the best for the street/city.
WillPS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #1445
RedArmy

Hasn't that arcade been closed down for ages - I'm sure there was a temporary store both this Christmas gone and the one before?

The problem with betting shops is there's simply too many of them; people complain about Tescos and how they're dominating the City - next time you're walking around Nottingham start counting how many bookmakers there really are and I bet the results surprise you! They're definitely not the most attractives venues either and I have to agree on a street that commands so much footfall yet another bookies to complement Sports Direct, McDonalds and the six/seven mobile phone stores already present isn't exactly a step forward. Aldos, Evans, Jack& Jones or Holland & Barret, Poundland and a bookies - I think you might say its a step backward don't you?

And personally I'd never use Market Square as an example of a positive shopping area; at night it's one of the worst areas of Nottingham (St. James Street is positively dangerous) and it's hardly the European cafe culture that it aspired to be. Look at the number of vacancies on Market Street, Wheeler Gate (leading directly off the square) and you'll see that the square and its surrounding, while superb for events, is not really attracting high grade retailers. God forbid Debenhams ever relocates because it won't be pretty for that end of town!
Old April 30th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #1446
flange

Likes (Received): 644

Cath Kidston are advertising for staff for a new store opening in Nottingham.

http://cathkidston.co.uk/t-careers.aspx

Last edited by flange; April 30th, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:25 PM   #1447
PerfectDark

I don't know how you can describe the centre of town as an end of town.

Bookmakers, while rich, are a leech on society and feed off the hopes of the poor. They also have no future on the high street, their only benefit is to provide a place where down and outs can get a quick head-rush out of my way. I've never seen anyone who gives the impression that they have the slightest clue what's going on enter or leave one of these places.

If you want to gamble, use the internet, if you want to get away from the wife, divorce her.
PerfectDark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:47 PM   #1448
Luis99

Likes (Received): 77

well said perfect dark
Luis99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:56 PM   #1449
RedArmy

PerfectDark - take it you're referring to my post?

I'm not sure what the issue is - 'that end' is a figure of speech. In terms of retail Market Square is clearly not the centre of the City and actually lies off the axis between Broadmarsh and Victoria (Clumber, High Street, Bridlesmith). If Debenhams does go, no matter if you call it that 'end of town', that 'section of the City' or something similar - then the retail offering around the square (Long Row, Market Street, Queen Street, St. James Street, Friar Lane) will be even worse than it is now - vacancy rates, particularly on Market Street, are awful. The old Selectadisc property is still empty (bar a brief tenancy) years after they closed and if you take Debenhams out of the equation then the situation will only become worse.

Just saying like....

Out of interest why do you say they have bookies have no 'future' on the high street? The number of branches and openings would seem to suggest otherwise; I can't remember a bookies actually shutting down recently unless I've missed something? I'd suggest that you'll see more bookies, pound stores, pawnbrokers etc. while the economy is in its current condition...
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #1450
PerfectDark

My only issue with you saying "that end" was that it implies that people have to go out of their way to get there, when they really don't... and the square is always FULL of people so it's not like it's going to become a dead part of town anytime soon.

And I mean no future for them long term, they have an ageing clientèle, I never see any young people going in or out but I could be wrong.
PerfectDark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #1451
sherwood199

Looks like that excellent cheese shop in the flying horse arcade might be expanding and including a cafe, good to see the independents doing well....

Old May 11th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1452
sparkrs

Is this an expansion of the current shop?
sparkrs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #1453
sherwood199

Hard to tell on the plans, think it might be a different unit ?
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #1454
sparkrs

I thought it might be, I cant remember the name of the shop but it looks prime to be one which is on the same side as the cheese shop currently but a little more towards the square end
Old June 7th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #1455
flange

Likes (Received): 644

List of Clinton Cards stores acquired by Lakeshore Lending Ltd

List of Clinton Cards stores remaining under control of administrators Zolfo Cooper
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #1456
sherwood199

Hugo Boss moving to the Cafe Rouge place on Bridlesmith Gate... no news on whether Cafe Rouge are relocating, as it is the only Cafe Rouge in Nottingham I would have thought they will relocate ? possibly Trinity Sq ?

Old June 8th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #1457
seannichol

Likes (Received): 2

My friend works there , and aparently they are going to move into vic centre once that is extended, which we know won't happen for along very long time, cafe rouge is closing on the 8th July
seannichol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #1458
sparkrs

The Hugo boss store at present is a perfect example of the quality of the store, I hope a pound store doesn't move in as the building deserves better

I suppose them moving is to be closer to all the other designer shops, or if BM ever gets a revamp
Old June 9th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #1459
sherwood199

Shame that cafe rouge will be out of Nottingham for the next few years, the earliest completion date for VC was Oct 2015 I think and that was based on a start this year. There was talk of a cafe rouge in West Bridgford but no news on that?

Also noticed some surprising (?) store closures today; Top man has closed on lister gate, Currys digital is closing in the Victoria centre and Jigsaw is closing down on Bridlesmith gate.
Old June 10th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #1460
seannichol

Likes (Received): 2

I am surprised currys is closing , maybe because of the merger with PC world, I wander what will replace It, I doupt it will remain closed for a long time. I am even more surprised at the closure of topman as that only got refurbished a year ago.
seannichol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: