daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old October 11th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #161
danz013
Robin Hood

Likes (Received): 8

A business called Brasserie Chez Gerard is moving in where Caffe Uno is on low pavement.

Follow Me - Twitter
danz013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 11th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #162
Bingethink

Likes (Received): 26

"Building on the heritage and quality reputation that Chez Gérard has created over the past 25 years, the Brasserie Chez Gérard menu draws on French influences from around the globe from Morocco, Montreal, Italy (particularly the borders that touch France!) to New Orleans utilizing spices and flavours, blending them to create a contemporary, lighter, more diverse menu. Brasserie Chez Gérard embraces the French brasserie tradition for all day dining. Open for breakfast, morning coffee, casual or formal dining or simply drinks at the Zinc Bar. Families and children are always welcome and there is a special children’s menu and goody pack.

Famous for “The best steak-frites this side of Paris”, using only the finest pasture reared Angus and Herefordshire beef. Sample our delicious choice of specialty Moroccan ‘Tajines’, a selection of light and casual dishes such as smoked haddock fish cakes with a salad of grapefruit and roasted sweet chillies alongside an indulgent range of desserts.

Visit our locations section to find your nearest Brasserie Chez Gérard where a warm welcome always awaits you.
Bingethink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #163
flange

Likes (Received): 452

Brasserie Chez Gerard and Caffe Uno are owned by the same company they did the exact same thing in Manchester Caffe Uno closed and then rebranded to become Brasserie Chez Gerard.
flange está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #164
danz013
Robin Hood

interesting stuff.

Follow Me - Twitter
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #165
danz013
Robin Hood

Two Interesting Articles

Quote:
DERBY TRIP - 'THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN'T BUY IN NOTTINGHAM'

Curiosity and the need to find a decent birthday present led me down Brian Clough Way to check out the new Westfield Centre, writes Chris Birkle.

Just off the A52 in Derby, the brand new multi-million pound Eagle Centre replacement could not be easier to find.

First impressions of the inside were good.

Shiny floors, good use of natural light, soft music and the smell of new materials gives the place an appealing ambience.

The interior is very modern, and with parking at just £2.20 for two hours, you don't feel the rush to get back to your car.

So it is easy to see why shoppers from more marginal areas, such as Long Eaton or Ilkeston, may choose to go to Westfield.

But after the excitement of the new centre has worn off, you are not left with much more choice than there is already in Nottingham.

Although there were a handful of shops I had not seen before, what I feel the centre lacks is a quality large department store like John Lewis or House of Fraser.

Although M &S and Debenhams are at Westfield, there seems to be nothing to actually buy there which is not already available in Nottingham.

It was nice to make the journey for one trip. But I doubt I will return for that reason.

Follow Me - Twitter
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #166
danz013
Robin Hood

I just realised I only posted one article...

Quote:
Nottingham is proud of its reputation as a shopping capital. It's well-deserved. Earlier this year Experian's retail ranking report rated the city fifth in UK shopping destinations, with consumers expected to spend £1.26bn here this year.

Nottingham's prospects look good, too.

In 2017 that spending figure is expected to reach £1.4bn, with the city maintaining its position alongside London's West End, Glasgow, Birmingham and Manchester as a shopping Mecca.

In the East Midlands, there is nowhere else that compares. The combined spending in Leicester, Derby and Lincoln - our nearest geographical rivals - only equates to 80% of the cash splashed in Nottingham.

But the city's neighbours are beginning to up their game.

On Tuesday, Tess Daly, Claire Sweeney and DJ Spoony opened Westfield Derby. The celebrities may have been "B" list, but in terms of regeneration, the shopping centre is not.

It has cost £340m, created nearly 3,000 jobs, and is expected to boost the number of shoppers visiting Derby from 16m-a-year to 22m-a-year. A further £300m has been secured on the back of the development in the form of hotels, offices and flats.

In 2008, John Lewis is opening a 220,000 sq ft store as the "anchor" store to Leicester's new £350m Shires West development.

And while seemingly rapid progress has been made elsewhere, Westfield still hasn't given a starting date for work to begin on the Broadmarsh redevelopment.

This is despite planning permission being granted back in 2004, although subsequent amendments have been needed.

And there have also been problems acquiring the required land thanks to Compulsory Purchase Orders which were not completed until last year.

Meanwhile, this month's announcement that Marks & Spencer and Debenhams will be the 'anchor' stores has disappointed those hoping that Selfridges or Harvey Nichols would come to the city.

Coun Michael Cowan, deputy leader of the Tory group on the city council and a member of the development control committee, said: "I am concerned that the major anchor stores (for the Broadmarsh) are two existing stores and there is a real risk that there will be decline in shopping in the core central area between the two shopping centres (Victoria and Broadmarsh)."

But Coun Brian Parbutt, who is portfolio holder for transport, economic development and skills at the city council, said the authority is focused on maintaining Nottingham's position as a top shopping centre.

Coun Parbutt said: "We are not complacent, but at the same time we shouldn't be panicked into the idea that there is a threat we are not prepared to challenge.

"We still see retail as a key aspect of Nottingham's economy. We have more than most when it comes to developing the city centre and we are going to continue to develop that."

Jane Dykes, city centre manager, accepted that Westfield Derby may take some customers away from Nottingham, but believes the development does not pose a real threat.

She said: "Very few shoppers from Nottingham will go to Derby. If you are looking at what is on offer in Derby there's a good mix, but there isn't a major name like House of Fraser or John Lewis.

"I don't see Westfield Derby as a threat. I am confident we are going to see an even more exciting development here."

John Dowson, from Derbyshire and Notts Chamber of Commerce, agrees that the £700m Broadmarsh redevelopment is vital to helping the city maintain it's position as a top five shopping destination.

He said: "I am not entirely sure what is delaying the process. I know there have been some revised planning applications, but Westfield is a commercial organisation and it takes its view as to where it places its investment and in what order."

However Lisa Cattanach, communications leader for Experience Nottinghamshire, which promotes the city as a tourist destination, thinks Nottingham's diverse shopping offer, with big stores and smaller, high-end designer retailers is the key to the city's continued success.

She said: "Around Bridlesmith Gate there is a different environment. It's not like being in an indoor centre.

"Obviously names like Selfridges and Harvey Nichols are good to see, but I am sure the range of shops we will have in the new Westfield Broadmarsh will be more than enough to attract people."

Catherine Markgraaff, a spokeswoman for Westfield, said the firm was "committed to the long-term economic health of Nottingham".

She added: "Developments of this kind are by their nature complex. We will continue to work hard to deliver a new and improved retail experience for Nottingham."

Follow Me - Twitter
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #167
danz013
Robin Hood

A few things...

The councils talking about Banding those mobile stalls. There were loads of them on clumber street today.. very irritating and very cheap.. i think they should get rid asap.

I'm a little surprised Limeys hasn't been let out yet. Its been a while since it went on the market. Does this mean the demand for up market stores is not as high as we though???? Discuss...

Lastly.. this unit has become available...

image hosted on flickr

Follow Me - Twitter
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #168
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 46

Didn't there used to be a resturant on that corner? I think a similar sort of place should open rather than a shop as it's quite a big unit. Either a resturant or a bar would look nice there as the nighscene in that area is already quite lively.
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #169
flange

Yes Dim t used to be open there although they are still listed on there website as being open in Nottingham

http://www.dimt.co.uk/
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #170
danz013
Robin Hood

Where Dim T actually there before... or is it them moving in?

That Lingerie shop has opened too.

Follow Me - Twitter
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #171
flange

They opened there this year

Review of the restaurant from January 2007

http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/foo...&in_page_id=26
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #172
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

At least we aren't losing a resturant in Nottingham.
I agree with you Dan about those bloody stall things on Clumber Street and Listergate. They really do get on my tits selling cheap shit that knowone wants.
I kind of feel sorry for the people who sell the stuff though as without that where else will they get their income from?
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #173
danz013
Robin Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef88 View Post
I kind of feel sorry for the people who sell the stuff though as without that where else will they get their income from?
Markets.. anywhere... just not there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
They opened there this year

Review of the restaurant from January 2007

http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/foo...&in_page_id=26
I wonder why its boarded up then? I hope its only a refurb or something.

Follow Me - Twitter
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #174
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Thanks for posting the link Flange, it looks really nice in the picture and the food obviously was nice as the article suggested.
Im sure this place will stay open as it's affordable but you get good quality food with it.
Once the word has spread round about this place it'll be busy all the time.
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #175
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz013 View Post
Markets.. anywhere... just not there.
Alongside Wilko's would be a good place as they have market stalls there all the time.
I wouldn't really mind them on Clumber Street just as long as they didn't set up shop right in the fucking middle where people walk.
It's bad enough walking down there when it's busy but when you have people bugging you to buy a shitty mobile phone strap that goes round your neck it just does my head in.
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #176
danz013
Robin Hood

I wonder what Victoria centre are going to do with the other side of the Bridge?

Follow Me - Twitter
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #177
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Demolish it hopefully there's only one shop on the upper section on that side. The furniture shop is ALWAYS empty. Hopefully they'll offer them another unit within the main shopping centre.
Once it's all done they could probably sell off the land to someone else. What I want to know is what's stored in the big concrete monstrosity alongside Sports World as that's connected to the footbridge aswell.
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #178
danz013
Robin Hood

I'm thinking about what furry was saying the other day.. about a high rise... and.... he's absolutely right.. this would be a great spot for a high rise.

The thing is though its a little big away from the business areas in the city but who cares... CSC are in the game of making money... there obviously going to do something with it at some stage.

Maybe they could create a high rise mall lol.

Follow Me - Twitter
Old October 13th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #179
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

23rd floor - Menswear
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #180
oats
Flakey

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz013 View Post
A few things...

Lastly.. this unit has become available...

image hosted on flickr
What a shame! I ate there earlier in the year and it was truly delicious, and not too expensive. I think a refurb is extremely unlikely, because it was only opened this year and was certainly not pokey when I was there, I hope something good goes in there after them - moving the Amusement arcade from the corner of fletcher gate into there could be a worse thing to do, allowing Bildurn (who I think it was said ages ago owned that property) to make it into something good, not the horrid mish-mash of buildings already there.
oats no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: