daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #201
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
I read a travel story of one guy from Kiev who went to Kazakhstan through Russia. Getting through Russia was no problem, but once he hit Kazakh roads... oh boy... At the same time, roads in Astana and Alma-Ata were very good.
I've seen a similar video report on Youtube long ago. Perhaps it is the same story

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #202
asotUA
Audicted Driver.

Likes (Received): 1418

Alright you guys, I wanna show you a report of a local round road going around my homecity(Vinnytsia)[M12]...pictures are from February/March 2008 or so.
Looks very "BEAUTIFUL" doesnt it? yes, very Kazakhstan style, LOTSSSSS of work has to be done here. I drove on it back in summer '07 and it looked much better for some reason than here...maybe because of season change.
One thing I know is that the city is not responsible and does not have right to fix this round road, becuase its not in cities borbers or soemthing like that..UkrAvtoDor's job, sad because our major owns like an asfalt company i heard, since lots of cities roads are been fixed like never before

On the way to Zhytomyr(Kyiv)...I think at night time some drivers just go trought that grass incase of "Emergency" or if "it" can still be called a grass here...Billboards do its job though

This picture makes me to start smoking..

well atleast crashbarriers are somewhat Euro looking here..little progress

1/2..but keeps switching back and fourth 1/2, 2/1

No wonder there is almost no cars on this road = that roads quality, its much better entering the city and getting out of it on the other side but going on normal smooth roads with little trafic reither than bumpy round road..will lose counple pounds by getting on the other site
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #203
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

It needs time. Ukraine is a huge country for European standards, and funding isn't as massive as you want to improve the roads.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #204
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Exactly, when Ukraine will come more into EU structures then money for investment will come
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #205
X236K

Likes (Received): 47

Not only Ukrainian roads need massive funding. In fact, I think that what we can see on those pics is not that bad... you should see some of Czech roads where the condition is much worse.
X236K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:47 AM   #206
asotUA
Audicted Driver.

Likes (Received): 1418

are you sure?

wow I can't bulieve you guys actually positive about this...I was expecting worse and more like "Thats So Village Style"!!! But seriously I don't like it for my self! Just judging from the first pic, not sure maybe its the dust covering the white side lines or they never painted them there which is very rair of not doing so. You can see that a car or whatever it was crossed the grass just like that.
Funding will always be a problem. But they it used to be only Kyiv-Boryspil highway but now the number grew by 2 more.+Karpary(Lviv/Uzhgorod Region and well known here Kyiv-Odesa)...by Ukraine's Independence Day(August 24th) they will open Donetsk-Dnipropetrovks or Donetsk-Kharkiv highway..not sure yet.
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #207
X236K

Likes (Received): 47

I'm not positive about this... just want to say that based on my experience it could be worse... no matter if in Czech or Ukraine.
X236K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #208
Piotrek_409

Likes (Received): 0

In any country you may find examples of roads in very bad condition (at least in every eastern european country) but what differs is percentage of this type of roads in whole network. That's why it is so difficult to judge the country just by some random pics.

I have been in Czech Republic many times and from my experience roads are in very good condition, (of course there are few exceptions). Major towns are connected by motorways or well mainted highways with very good signadge.

In Poland maybe we will achieve this in next few years (till 2012) when hopefully if all major parts of our motorway network start to be constucted this year and some roads under construction will be succesfully finished. So far we do have some parts of very nice motorways (a2, a4) from west to the center connecting major towns like Poznan - Lodz; Wroclaw - Opole, Katowice - Krakow and some small part of expressways (s7); some dual carriege ways after commie times (like DK 1 Warsaw - Lodz - Katowice) and lots of highways which are constatly repaired but unfortunately due to the traffic it is still horrible to travel on them.

I have never been in Ukraine but it seems to me that road network is mostly bad maintained and it is impossible or very dangerous to travel from one major town to another by car. It's not a question of constructing some small sections of new motorways but rather long term program to improve overall conditions of ukrainian roads. I hope they will make it till EURO 2012
Piotrek_409 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #209
bebe.2006
Ekspert

Likes (Received): 458

Is the whole road Kyjiv-Odesa finished now? I saw it 2003 under construction.
bebe.2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #210
bebe.2006
Ekspert

Likes (Received): 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7iDmytro_UA* View Post
Part of Kyiv-Chop highway just opened up(100km)..by european standarts or close to it, you tell me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby13 View Post
From: http://www.gpu.ua/index.php?&id=240956&lang=ru&s=1_nall

Между Бродами и Стрыем открыли европейского уровня дорогу
19.07.2008 18:18

В субботу открыто движение на отремонтированном участке автомобильной дороги Киев-Чоп от г. Броды до г. Стрый на Львовщине, сообщает пресс-служба Министерства транспорта и связи.

"Далеко не все верили, что можно закончить дорогу в этом году, но мы ее отрываем именно сейчас - летом. Украина сегодня получила пусть и небольшую часть, однако качественной и высокой категории дорогу. Наконец каждый житель Украины увидит, дорога от Киева до Чопа будет действительно качественной и скоростной трассой", - заявил министр транспорта и связи Иосиф Винский.

Протяженность открытого участка 180 км - это участок автомобильной дороги М06 Киев-Чоп от Стрыя до Львова (91,5 км) и участок международного транспортному коридора ь3 (Берлин - Вроцлав - Львов - Киев) Львов - г. Броды (89 км).

Работы велись с октября 2005 года. Этот участок автомобильной дороги Киев-Чоп от г. Броды до г. Стрый отремонтирован во исполнение второго этапа проекта кредитного соглашения "Ремонт автомобильной дороги Киев-Чоп" между Украиной и Европейским банком реконструкции и развития от 28 февраля 2005 года.

В 2006 года подписано Третье кредитное соглашение между Украиной и ЕБРР о реализации проекта "Ремонт автомобильной дороги Киев-Чоп" в размере 200 млн. евро, и с Европейским инвестиционным банком (ЕИБ) 30 июля 2007 года о реализации проекта "Украина - Проект европейских дорог Украины" в размере 200 млн. евро и "Украина" в размере 172 млн. евро.

Эти кредитные соглашения предусматривают капитальный ремонт автомобильной дороги Киев-Чоп через участок в 313 км от Житомира до г. Броды. Общая стоимость 572 млн. евро, сообщает Интерфакс-Украина

So, there are 180 km M06, first section Stryj to Lviv (91,5 km) and second section Lviv-Brody (89 km).
Build since Oktober 2005.

Is the whole 180 km section four-lane road?

----------------------------------------------------------
24 August (Independent Day of Ukraine) section Charkow to Dniepropietrowsk (118 km !) will be opend.
bebe.2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #211
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe.2006 View Post
24 August (Independent Day of Ukraine) section Charkow to Dniepropietrowsk (118 km !) will be opend.
As far as one can see on Google Earth, most of it is already completed. It's signed as a yellow road, however, it seems to have nearly no intersections since it runs through rural area's. Some grade-separated intersections are visible. Two pics I stumbled upon on GE:

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 29th, 2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old July 29th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #212
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrek_409 View Post
I have never been in Ukraine but it seems to me that road network is mostly bad maintained and it is impossible or very dangerous to travel from one major town to another by car.
I think this is rubbish. Why would it be "impossible or very dangerous" to travel between two cities, especially major ones? Kiev - L'viv, Kiev - Odesa, Kiev - Char'kiv, I think driving there is quite normal, and definitely not "impossible or very dangerous".
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #213
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, I wouldn't want to drive at night at some lonely road in Ukraine, Poland or Romania. How's corruption in Ukraine? I heard some mafia stories where the mafia let people pass through waiting lines at the border faster after a big payment.
Old July 29th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #214
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I agree. Last year in Slovakia I only made one ride during the night, and it was one of the most dangerous rides I've ever made, since the potholes are hardly visible and Slovaks drive like Poles. And about the mafia in Ukraine you are completely right.
Old July 29th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #215
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2265

Well, you probably won't believe, but I have driven during the night in Poland and Romania and nothing "dangerous" happened!

Last edited by RipleyLV; July 29th, 2008 at 07:06 PM.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #216
Piotrek_409

Likes (Received): 0

well I travel there very often at night (at least in Poland) and nothing happend yet, however I wouldn't recommend our roads to any foreigner mainly due to poor signadge, specifc polish drivers and also communication problems which may occur in small towns, villages in case of accident, emergency etc. (not many of them speak english or any other foreign lanuague even in the police)

I haven't heard about any cases with mafia robbing drivers etc. but it may be dangerous especially for truck drivers.

Anyway I am really curious about conditions of Ukrainian roads. Sometimes after seeing some of the pictures I fell they are way better then here, but usually people who had been are saying sth completely diffrent.
Piotrek_409 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #217
Timoth12

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon Kruijk View Post
I agree. Last year in Slovakia I only made one ride during the night, and it was one of the most dangerous rides I've ever made, since the potholes are hardly visible and Slovaks drive like Poles.
What section were you driving then? It might happen that you meet an idiot on the road, but generally it´s not the rule. Some especially very young drivers wants to test the cars after they obtain the driving license. But I think it is the case almost everywhere.
Timoth12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #218
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrek_409 View Post
Anyway I am really curious about conditions of Ukrainian roads. Sometimes after seeing some of the pictures I fell they are way better then here, but usually people who had been are saying sth completely diffrent.
I think conditions vary from great to very poor, also on some of the more important roads. There are Dutch people doing a vacation in Ukraine, but it's not common (yet). Imo, most of the country doesn't have so much special to offer (kinda like the American Midwest), but the Carpathians and Crimea looks like they're worth a visit.
Old July 29th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #219
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoth12 View Post
What section were you driving then? It might happen that you meet an idiot on the road, but generally it´s not the rule. Some especially very young drivers wants to test the cars after they obtain the driving license. But I think it is the case almost everywhere.
There were indeed some idiots (drunk) on the 18 from Poprad to Mengusovce and the road (512?) from Mengusovce to Stola. But this is just my experience of 1 ride, so I was just unlucky.
Old July 29th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #220
ChrisZwolle
Road user

M-5 Odessa - Kiev, a journey by panoramio & Google Earth

M-5 north of Odessa, I don't know how old these pics are, imagery from Google Earth is 5,5 years old.
]

Same location:

M-5 across some lake not far out of Odessa:

Further north, there's newer imagery from 2007 which shows overpasses under construction instead of a level-crossing.
M-5 approximatly 35km north of Odessa:

Doubling of M-5 near Chervonoznamianka

Grade-separated junction near Shryiaieve

M-5 near Troitske

The Interchange with the M-13 (Moldova - Kirovohrad) is a full profile cloverleaf. Google Earth only uses E-numbers. Near Liubashivka, there's a gas station at the freeway. The interchange with the T 16-03 near Krive Ozero is also a cloverleaf. This road connects Balta with Pervomaisk.

Modern gas station just north of Krive Ozero:

Further North, imagery is older, but a new interchange and a new bridge (2x2 lanes) across the Bug is visible. Rest area near Uljanovska

Interchange is under construction near Uljanovska for the M-23. I guess it's finished already (imagery is from 2004). Another gas station north of Uljanovka. Some images on Google Earth seems to be over 10 years old.

Near Uman:

One of the most important interchanges on M-5 seems to be near Uman, the M-12 intersects here with a full cloverleaf.

Exit Uman:

North of Uman, the M-5 seems to have a new routing, away from villages. Near Zhaskiv:

New interchange near Kiev:

Closer to Kiev:

conclusion:

Judging from the pictures and available imagery, the M-5 seems to be at least a high-quality 4-lane highway for it's entire length, bypassing all villages and towns along the long route. All important intersecting roads have grade-separated interchanges by western standards, but local and secondary roads sometimes seems to intersect at-grade. Slow or un-motorized traffic might be a problem.

Tags
highways, motorways, ukraine