daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast > Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2007, 06:08 AM   #81
g-man430

Likes (Received): 41

It will be 1-2 stories taller than the Bookends building. Thanks for the comments guys.

Sponsored Links

Old September 7th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #82
g-man430

I just sent an email to the head of the DPC that said this:

I am very disappointed with the DPC's decision to reject the development proposal for the intersection of Main and River Streets in the West End Historic District. The two buildings located on this site are a complete eyesore and are not even listed on the national register of historic places according to the agenda item for this proposal. The developer has even said that two national retailers would be part of this great looking development. Downtown lacks when it comes to national retailers/restaurants and is something the city and many citizens have wanted for sometime. If this proposal comes up again at a future date, I urge you and your colleagues to rethink your decision of rejecting it and look at what it could do for redevelopment in the West End area. Thank you. -Jacob

-I urge anybody who cares to do the same.
Old September 7th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #83
Greenville

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I just sent an email to the head of the DPC that said this:

I am very disappointed with the DPC's decision to reject the development proposal for the intersection of Main and River Streets in the West End Historic District. The two buildings located on this site are a complete eyesore and are not even listed on the national register of historic places according to the agenda item for this proposal. The developer has even said that two national retailers would be part of this great looking development. Downtown lacks when it comes to national retailers/restaurants and is something the city and many citizens have wanted for sometime. If this proposal comes up again at a future date, I urge you and your colleagues to rethink your decision of rejecting it and look at what it could do for redevelopment in the West End area. Thank you. -Jacob

-I urge anybody who cares to do the same.
Excellent letter, g-man. Would you please post the DPC's email address? I am planning on sending them one as well.
Greenville no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #84
g-man430

Here you go man: woodbr@greatergreenville.com
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #85
g-man430

Expect a public hearing in October to discuss the new location for a federal courthouse. The General Services Administration has been looking at sites since the late 1990s, and even chose the former Greenville Memorial Auditorium site last year to build. However, the plan fell through and the government is looking at more sites. Expect a short list to be announced in a few weeks. Speaking of the former auditorium site, the group looking to develop the property at the corner of Church and East North streets paid their $50,000 contingency fund to the city last week, which says that the project is moving forward. Publix opened its downtown store last week. It took the city seven years to get a downtown supermarket built. Don't expect it to take that long again. There are several parcels of land being considered by several chains in and around downtown including along Church Street, North Main and the Westside of town.
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #86
Skyliner
The Creative 1

Cool

I would love to see a Bloom open up in downtown. Having a 24-hour supermarket will take downtown to the next level residentially speaking. I hope they are one of the companies looking to build here.
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #87
g-man430

Can't argue with that. I'm hearing Bi-Lo is the chain looking at Church Street, while Bloom is looking in the North Main area. Not sure who is looking at the Westside of town.
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #88
g-man430

It's coming guys.
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #89
Greenville

Quote:
It's coming guys.
What is, Pinnacle on Main?
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #90
g-man430

No silly. The gateway site. However, the Pinnacle on Main will start this month.
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #91
erm1981

^Actions speak louder than words....where did you hear this information...from Bobby Ellison?
erm1981 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #92
Greenville

Quote:
No silly. The gateway site. However, the Pinnacle on Main will start this month.
What did you hear about the Gateway site, g-man? Any news or rumors you can pass along?
Old September 11th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #93
g-man430

Maybe if you guys on UP would stop thinking Project Apple is Dunkin Donuts, then I would tell you. The developer of the gateway site told me it should be out later this month. If it's not, then blame him not me.
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #94
gsupstate

Quote:
Maybe if you guys on UP would stop thinking Project Apple is Dunkin Donuts, then I would tell you. The developer of the gateway site told me it should be out later this month. If it's not, then blame him not me.
OK g-man....please enlighten those of us lower on the food chain than you. What is Project Apple? Do you know?
gsupstate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #95
g-man430

Well, if you guys would go out and take some pics, you wouldn't be so low on the food chain. I don't know unfortunately, but it's not Dunkin Donuts. Information regarding the project will be released sometime this fall.
Old September 11th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #96
g-man430

According to WYFF, the City of Greenville completed the sale of city hall plaza today, so a new mixed-use development consisting of a Courtyard by Marriott could be built. Construction to begin in 2 months: http://councilagendas.greatergreenvi...07/Item14c.pdf
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #97
g-man430

City Hall plaza sold
Developer plans a hotel, parking garage, restaurant and offices at the location

Published: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 6:58 am
Updated: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 7:04 am

By Ben Szobody
Staff Writer
bszobody@greenvillenews.com

City Manager Jim Bourey said Monday the city has finished its sale of the City Hall plaza at the corner of McBee and Broad streets for $1.8 million.

Bourey told City Council that demolition on the site should begin in late October or early November.

The city's Design and Preservation Commission last week approved a $38 million development plan for the site.

Developer Windsor/Aughtry Co. Inc. has said it will include a hotel, a six-story office building, a parking garage and a restaurant with outdoor seating. It will also feature a grassy courtyard next to City Hall with a "water wall," public bathrooms and a winter ice rink.

Bo Aughtry, a principal with the firm, has said he hopes to break ground on new buildings early in 2008.

He has declined to identify tenants that might occupy space in the development, but told commissioners last week that he's dealing with a "high-end seafood restaurant" and a large aquarium would be in the hotel lobby.
Old September 11th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #98
g-man430

http://www.greatergreenville.com/cit.../PlazaSale.pdf and http://www.greatergreenville.com/cit...lazaPhotos.pdf

Last edited by g-man430; September 11th, 2007 at 05:38 PM.
g-man430 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #99
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 15

I didn't know a six-story office building was going to get built there as well...cool. Any renderings for it yet?
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #100
g-man430

Yes indeed. Second article down: http://www.gsabusiness.com/ The office building and the Courtyard by Marriott are going to be in the same building if I recall correctly.