daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 26th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #41
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #42
ilovechicago91

Likes (Received): 1

get rid of the "tile" look, and i love it!
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #43
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

This design has some compelling touches, but overall I don't like it and hope it's never built. It'll throw the entire skyline off. I hope it goes the way of the Beitler Communication Tower--swift death.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #44
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Plus, it may be too south for actual skyline view except for the southern end of the skyline. You may only barely see the JHC, but can't see JHC up close.

I mean the west view will just consist of Chinatown, Bridgeport, 26th St, and industrial areas.

In the east view, just the lake

In the south view, maybe future olympic housing, McCormick place, surface lots, random buildings, maybe M of Sci and Ind, and railroads
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #45
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Doesn't a law exist prohibiting construction east of LSD?
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 04:25 AM   #46
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; May 18th, 2010 at 08:41 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #47
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

I cant decide if I really want this to go up. I love 2000ft'ers but I dont know. I really doubt this would ever happen anyway, especially in the spot proposed on the pic.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 05:55 AM   #48
ChicagoNight

Likes (Received): 4

i dont like this. other cities need "structures" to artificially enhance their skyline, but not Chicago.
ChicagoNight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #49
Reinsdorf Sucks
Seven Costanza

Likes (Received): 4

Yea I'm definately against this tower. Especially when it's by itself like that.
Reinsdorf Sucks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #50
Chitowner245

I hate it, it's awful. It's everything that chicago is not. We don't need some stupid tourist attraction like this that forever changes the skyline in a completely unbalanced fashion. The location sucks, the design sucks, and it won't ever happen anyways, so who cares?
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #51
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

jeez, why is everyone hating on this building so much?

First, there is way too much of a focus on this having an observation deck. He main point of this building is its broadcast abilities, because it's going to be its superb broadcast capabilities that will fetch it the kind of lease money to make it worth building. And what the heck is wrong with tourism anyhow? Especially since it's one of the largest (if not the largest) industry in the world, and certainly one of chicago's top five (and I'm pretty sure it's like third at least). And considering the whole "City Beautiful" concept is about attracing tourism anyway...

Second, i honestly have no idea why this building is being so universally decried as ugly. I like the design alot, and unless i'm misremembering structures, i liked both of the com tower proposals that have gone up.

I don't also understand the potential unbalancing of the skyline. The sears tower and jhc also unbalanced the skylines, and considering I want higher and denser developments to go up in the southerly end of the loop, I see this as a good flag bearer for the area.

I would of course, make an analogy here to the Eiffel tower, but people who tend to use that argument use it as a bad catch-all (a "history will justify us" style argument that is fairly arbitrary) and people who wouldn't use it wouldn't understand the implied historical contextualism anyway. So I'll just say that at least I think it looks great and you guys all must be smoking something amazing
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #52
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

I agree with you on all accounts. The only problem I have is the location east of LSD, that cannot and should not happen.
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #53
robituss

I wouldnt have such a problem with this if it wasn't so dang oogly. The fact that it is proposed east of LSD doesnt do a whole lot for me either. All in all, I would actually prefer a thicker base and thicker top, something more along the lines of Pelli's version even, and maybe a better location in the south loop. But I guess Im not a fan of broadcast antennaes either, although I do like centerpoint tower in sydney and the one in Seattle is ok too.

Better yet, why dont they get in partnership with a developer who wants to build a tall building and just stick their antennea on top?
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 07:49 AM   #54
Beware

Likes (Received): 13

" Why are so many cities marring Their, beautiful, skylines with dreadful observation towers? "

Last edited by Beware; December 2nd, 2007 at 07:31 AM.
Beware no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM   #55
Sandeman
everything's looking up

This is seriously a good idea, seriously. It’s a shame that it fell through the cracks…here are my opinions:

• The tower follows the spire-theme as other towers in Chicago, the location is great (even though it’s east of LSD) because views from the southeast are by far the best.
• This is an extension of the museum campus that will draw tourists further south (where the lakeshore is more of a sanctuary).
• Additional benefits are to view the adjacent boat harbor and Northerly Island (and hopefully, its further progression into a nature reserve).
• There will be plenty of business drawing from the adjacent McCormick Place Convention Center.

Put a high end restaurant and a cafe in there (as Eiffel did), add a rooftop helipad, some platforms for bungee & BASE jumping enthusiasts include the Chicago Children’s Museum and you have a 5 star attraction.
Sandeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:46 PM   #56
StevenW
Born in Baltimore

Likes (Received): 1602

i'm all for it being built.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:52 PM   #57
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

While I was in favor it when it first got proposed, I have to say now, looking back, it's a ghastly project and I hope it never goes up.
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #58
cmj2k2

Likes (Received): 7

I'd lose tons of respect for chicago if they built this joke of a tower
Old July 30th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #59
ChicagoIllinoisUSA
Chicagoan

That thing is disgusting!
ChicagoIllinoisUSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote