daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Bangladesh > Cityscapes & Urban Development

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 50 votes, 4.82 average.
Old August 21st, 2007, 05:40 AM   #1
Tmac
Dhaka-Ottawa-DC

Likes (Received): 7

Jamuna Future Park - Largest Shopping Mall in South Asia

The Jamuna Future Park is a mega-shopping complex cum commercial centre with a total floor area of about 4.20 million square feet and has three levels of basement carpark to provide about 2,800 parking bays. When completed it will be the largest shopping mall in Dhaka. The structure will house a shopping mall, movie theater, 5 star hotel, a private TV station, etc.

courtesy of Jamuna Group website

the rendering of the project

a google earth view of the project site

PIA777 liked this post
Tmac no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 21st, 2007, 05:46 AM   #2
Tmac
Dhaka-Ottawa-DC

here are some photos taken a few months back.

photo credit: mirzazeehan

Old August 21st, 2007, 05:48 AM   #3
Tmac
Dhaka-Ottawa-DC

photos taken recently by mirzazeehan.

Old August 21st, 2007, 06:22 AM   #4
tanzirian

Likes (Received): 193

Nice starter compilation Tmac. Does anybody know when it's supposed to be complete? Things seems to have progressed nicely despite corruption troubles of its owner, but I would be suprised if the interior is finished this year. My prediction...at current rate of construction...middle of next year.
tanzirian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:34 AM   #5
Tmac
Dhaka-Ottawa-DC

Jamuna Future Park

-Located on Pragati Sarani, Jamuna Future Park is projected to be the largest shopping mall in Asia. Undertaken by Jamuna Group, the complex will not only be a shopping mall, but also this will include commercial space, theme park, hospital, theaters, TV station and others.

-Total construction area would be 450,000 square-foot. Cost of the project is estimated at more than Tk. 1000 crore (US$ 167 million).

-The total cement requirement of the project is estimated at 120,000 MT. CEMEX Bangladesh is currently the exclusive provider of cement in the project.

a more recent google earth view.

Last edited by Tmac; August 23rd, 2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:37 AM   #6
meghnarmajhi
Tetulia theke Teknaf

Likes (Received): 0

Very nice.

With all these beautiful constructions underway, power development board should wake up and do something about the hanging wires and ugly power grids.

Last edited by meghnarmajhi; August 21st, 2007 at 07:40 AM.
meghnarmajhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:12 AM   #7
khalek
Khal-X

Likes (Received): 1

i guess its located in Baridhara.... looks fabulous... any idea when they will finish this project?
khalek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:21 AM   #8
mirzazeehan

Likes (Received): 269

Nice thread Tmac!From what I can see in the google earth pic of the mall,it is all set to have Five big Domes.Hope they make each part of the mall unique and diifferent from the other in terms of decoration and architecture-much like the Ibn Battuta Mall in Dubai which has got five parts based on the architecture of five countries.
These days,I can finally go to sleep in peace.....for I know,that even when I am asleep,over 2 million workers are working on 15000 building projects including 750 skyscrapers so that I wake up to a new city every morning: Mirza from the changing city of Dhaka,Bangladesh
mirzazeehan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:22 AM   #9
nayeem007

Likes (Received): 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalek View Post
i guess its located in Baridhara.... looks fabulous... any idea when they will finish this project?
It's in Bashundhara, right before the entrance. I am going to Dhaka coming December IA, I will take some pics while there..
nayeem007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:50 PM   #10
khalek
Khal-X

Likes (Received): 1

nayeem thanks for the info...
khalek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:06 AM   #11
clearsky

Likes (Received): 25

I am unable to lookup Jamuna Groups website. Looks like the domain registration has expired.

The above structure is truly stunning. It's one of the best infrastructures in southeast Asia.
clearsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:25 AM   #12
tanzirian

Looking at the Google Earth photo made me wonder...do any of you guys know which side of the building (north, south, east, or west) will be the main entrance? Or are there to be entrances on multiple sides? If we can go by the computer rendering, there will be some lawn area in front, but the Google Earth view shows the building hemmed in by other structures or trees...so some of that may have to be cleared.
Old August 25th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #13
mirzazeehan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzirian View Post
Looking at the Google Earth photo made me wonder...do any of you guys know which side of the building (north, south, east, or west) will be the main entrance? Or are there to be entrances on multiple sides? If we can go by the computer rendering, there will be some lawn area in front, but the Google Earth view shows the building hemmed in by other structures or trees...so some of that may have to be cleared.
This is how the place should look after JFP is completed.The rendering below also suggests that all small sized structures in the surrounding areas will be removed before the mall opens.

Jamuna Future Park

These days,I can finally go to sleep in peace.....for I know,that even when I am asleep,over 2 million workers are working on 15000 building projects including 750 skyscrapers so that I wake up to a new city every morning: Mirza from the changing city of Dhaka,Bangladesh
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #14
tanzirian

Very nice Mirza, but do you know if this is a current render? For instance, that semicircular window out front...I have not seen evidence of it being built in your photos. Interesting also to see the other buildings around JFP...I assume those are just hypothetical? Or are there plans for them to be built? Anyway, if the place turns out like the picture, that will be great. In fact, from what we've seen, it'll probably turn out great even if it doesn't end up exactly like the pic.
Old August 26th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #15
Tmac
Dhaka-Ottawa-DC

nice render Mirza. Great to see this taking shape.
Old August 26th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #16
mirzazeehan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzirian View Post
Very nice Mirza, but do you know if this is a current render? For instance, that semicircular window out front...I have not seen evidence of it being built in your photos. Interesting also to see the other buildings around JFP...I assume those are just hypothetical? Or are there plans for them to be built? Anyway, if the place turns out like the picture, that will be great. In fact, from what we've seen, it'll probably turn out great even if it doesn't end up exactly like the pic.
Tan,I am not sure if they still plan on building the exact thing in the picture.But JFP was always supposed to consist of one Mall,one 5 star hotel,and one world class hospital...so I guess the two buildings on two sides of the mall will be the hotel and the hospital.Small structures will surely be removed from the area,and from the front of the mall as its a huge project,and cannot afford to have those around it.
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #17
Naga_Solidus

Likes (Received): 2

Hello Bangladeshi friends (haven't said hi in ages),

4.2m sq. ft is clearly indicative of a fast-growing retail sector in Bangladesh. BTW, is Jamuna Future park going to attract tourists from outside South Asia?
Old August 27th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #18
tanzirian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga_Solidus View Post

4.2m sq. ft is clearly indicative of a fast-growing retail sector in Bangladesh. BTW, is Jamuna Future park going to attract tourists from outside South Asia?
Hi to you too! I doubt that a shopping mall, in and of itself, will attract any tourists to Dhaka (after all, this isn't Dubai)...but I am sure that tourists already in Dhaka might stop by for a look-see.
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #19
clearsky

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naga_Solidus View Post

Hi,

That would depend entirely on the retail stores, items, prices etc available in this mall. Also, they would need to advertise in other SE countries to attract tourists. Generally BD lacks poor image abroad compare to many neighboring countries even after having similar or better infrastructures.

There is another very big shopping mall (biggest in SE) in Dhaka and foreigners like it. But I don’t know if anyone would visit BD just to shop in that mall.

You can find info about that mall in other sections of this forum. The name of that mall is “Bashundhara” mall. Just to give you an idea how big that mall is, a Canadian diplomat based in Dhaka commented that it was one of the biggest malls she had ever seen in all the countries she had visited over the years!
clearsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #20
Tmac
Dhaka-Ottawa-DC

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearsky View Post
Just to give you an idea how big that mall is, a Canadian diplomat based in Dhaka commented that it was one of the biggest malls she had ever seen in all the countries she had visited over the years!
Canadians are always so nice!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: