daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2007, 06:41 PM   #81
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 2012

That's ******' unbelievable,thank Bush/Blair and 9/11 for providing the excuse for eroding our basic human rights.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 21st, 2007, 06:43 PM   #82
dups45

Likes (Received): 0

Can we start a petition to get rid of English Hertiage??!? Please please please
dups45 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 07:07 PM   #83
T0M
Scousish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dups45 View Post
Can we start a petition to get rid of English Hertiage??!? Please please please
Looks like it if we wait a while we won't have to!

But you could start one asking them to stay out of development issues. All sorts of petitions get an official response.... http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page10551.asp
T0M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #84
Doug Roberts

Likes (Received): 163

El Greco, I'm shocked at this it's totally ridiculous, talk about over the top!! ok the country needs to be vigilant on the anti-terrorist thing but this is crazy.

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. Yoda
Doug Roberts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #85
DJ Billy

David Icke was right!
DJ Billy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #86
PunkyPaul85
Aspiring Liverpolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0M View Post
Looks like it if we wait a while we won't have to!

But you could start one asking them to stay out of development issues. All sorts of petitions get an official response.... http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page10551.asp
Thats amazing TOM!
'Liverpool, thanks to modern science & commercial enterprise, to the spirit & intelligence of the townsmen, & to the administration of the mersey docks & harbour board, has become a wonder of the world. It is the New York of Europe, a world city rather than merely British provincial'.

Illustrated London News, 1886
PunkyPaul85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #87
PunkyPaul85
Aspiring Liverpolitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
That's ******' unbelievable,thank Bush/Blair and 9/11 for providing the excuse for eroding our basic human rights.
Its all part of the Blairite agenda Paul, to erase what is left of British society. Why do you think they want to bring ID cards in? Do nothing about mass immigration and enact utterly ridiculous legislation such as this! Blair hates everything this country stands for and he for one wants to see an end to it. So you can kiss your right to be a patriotic Brit goodbye, as soon it will be illegal to express one's pride/nationality, except of course if you are an ethnic minority! Big Brother is watching you type stuff...

'Liverpool, thanks to modern science & commercial enterprise, to the spirit & intelligence of the townsmen, & to the administration of the mersey docks & harbour board, has become a wonder of the world. It is the New York of Europe, a world city rather than merely British provincial'.

Last edited by PunkyPaul85; February 24th, 2007 at 05:41 PM.
PunkyPaul85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #88
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 23

Too right PunckyP.....
http://www.wirralwaters.com/
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
http://www.shipais.com/index.php
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
http://visitliverpool.com/
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #89
T0M
Scousish

A couple of shots from the weekend

Old March 12th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #90
T0M
Scousish

Old March 12th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #91
T0M
Scousish

And my favorite,

Old March 12th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #92
1878EFC

Likes (Received): 23

that last one is brilliant Tom, UPC
1878EFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #93
T0M
Scousish

Cheers mate, I would do if they'd open a new competition.. bunch of slackers..
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #94
liverpolitan

Likes (Received): 1

Is that HDR Tom? I'm afraid I don't like it much, as the Albert Dock one looks a bit garish to my eye. There is not enough colour in the sky, a bit too much colour in the bricks and pillars.

Why is it people like HDR effects so much? It reminds me of those rather vivid oil paintings they sell on railings outside parks (they used to outside the Bluecoat), with bloated sunset scenes and generally a bit too much paint applied with each brush stroke.
liverpolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #95
petemc

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpolitan View Post
Why is it people like HDR effects so much? It reminds me of those rather vivid oil paintings they sell on railings outside parks (they used to outside the Bluecoat), with bloated sunset scenes and generally a bit too much paint applied with each brush stroke.
Its possible that you've only seen the bad HDR shots. It is a complex tool with various options and a lot of people do get strange results imho. I do feel that the processing on these shots does have issues. I've had similar results with Photomatix. I'm not entirely sure why this happens. Maybe the software is pushing the limits of the dynamic range of the source photos. I'm not sure.
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #96
T0M
Scousish

It's not HDR (unfortunately) and as Pete says I am getting the software to push the limits of the dynamic range (whatever that is?!). In truth I'm just messing round in photoshop, seeing what it can do - the effect in the last shot was achieved mostly by clarifying the image several times over. It achieves a similar type of effect to HDR, but you'll see it has no where near the level of detail or 'smoothness' of an HDR shot. Ie it ends up looking quite 'forced' and very noisey.

Part of the reason I use these techniques is a) because I haven't got round to trying proper HDR yet (waiting to buy a decent camera first) and b) because I convert a lot of my shots to black and white, and what looks a bit odd in a colour photo can look great in black and white, even noise looks much better in black and white. But every now and then I like the effect it produces in colour, even if it does look a bit surreal.

I think it's good to look at familiar views through different tones and shades as they can make us think twice about our environment and the scenes we 'think we know' because they're so familiar. For me, part of the joy of taking these photos is trying to find the interesting within the ordinary, and seeing the potential of any photograph to stir the imagination (although it rarely happens that way)

This is the shot I took this image from, which shows just what you can do with a bit of post-production 'cleaning' - had I posted this shot, no one would have looked twice at it - sure it's more 'natural' but it's also bland and uninspiring, but full of potential, so the new effect has an impact, even if it's not one everyone likes..

Old March 13th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #97
petemc

Oh right It looks quite like some HDR processing I've done. Have you tried these in B&W? I also agree, its good to push things sometimes to make people look again. If I'm being picky, I think the horizon needs levelling just a tad Seems to slope to the right a bit. Keep playing though. Thats how I learn things, push buttons see what sticks.
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #98
T0M
Scousish

Thanks for the feedback Pete, always valued. For the record how do you correct the angle of the horizon?

I have tried most of these in black and white, and generally think they look better (the noise tends to be less obvious in black and white as it just looks like 'graininess'). Once I get my new camera I'll be coming back for some tips on generating decent HDR shots!

Old March 13th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #99
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

It's all about personal choice, and your pictures look good. Keep posting as i tend to pic up tips from other peoples shots to try and improve my shots. I tend to get sloping horizons aswel, probably from trying to view a 2inch lcd screen, but i am aslo tinkering with the idea of a half decent camera (Nikon D80), where you use the viewfinder.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #100
T0M
Scousish

Ok, now you're just trying to make me jealous! (I'd love a D80). I think I'm going to go for another compact with a wide angle lens, I was tossing up between the Ricoh Caplio R5 and the Panasonic Lumix FX01 - but now I think I'm going to spend a bit more and get the Canon IXUS 850IS, as by all acounts it takes better shots and gives you much more creative control (plus it looks gorgeous...)

If I had the cash I'd buy an DSLR as well, but at the moment a good compact will suit more of my needs as it's much easier to take everywhere, and the picture quality for reproduction on a computer screen is certainly worthwhile.

I'm trying to organise my images into a website, will let you know when I get it together as I always value feedback, and like you hope to pick up tips as I go along, which is why it's great to have people like Pete in our midst...