daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #101
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Likes (Received): 5

Well when i saw Petes photo's, i thought i will try some of that HDR jiggery pokey. I do like the medium'ish camera i have now, which i can quickly whip out to take a photo with anywhere, but it's getting old now, and thats why i have been thinking for months about a DSLR. They aren't cheap, that's why im thinking a lot, do i really want one, not as easy to whip out of your pocket, or to conceal, but better optics, sensor, control. I'm going to treat myself, it's only money, you can't take it with you when you are gone.
JUXTAPOL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 13th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #102
T0M
Scousish

Likes (Received): 0

Go for it. I hear the D80 is definately the one to go for if you are intending to splash out. Can't wait to see the results...
T0M no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #103
petemc

The D80 is good, but Nikkor lenses generally cost a bit more than Canon. The 350/400D is also very good, as is the 20/30D.
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #104
T0M
Scousish

Good point Pete... hmmmm, choices choices.. glad I won't have to make them! There'll be no lense swapping for me...
Old March 26th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #105
T0M
Scousish

I've added JUXT's post from the Malmaison thread regarding being challenged when taking photos outside the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUXTAPOL
While taking this shot, the on site security guard questioned me and said i shouldn't be taking photographs, as management don't like it, and about how all the other buildings are the same, the low level buildings on Princess dock (the govt ones), Beetham, RSA, so don't take any pictures, also i shouldn't be there, (the open door to the rear steps in the dock wall from the main road down into princess dock), where it says "pedestrians". He mentioned that police monitor these buildings with cctv and i could be arrested under the "terrorism act", 9/11, 7/7, etc.

Now he may be right in some respects, and i know about the cctv, police, restrictions about the place, but all this over the top reaction to anyone doing anything, restricting access, don't take photo's, don't say anything, is a bit annoying. There are thousands of tourists from all around the world who walk around the place taking photos.

I challenged saying it's a public place, and i have taken many photos around the place and nobody has stopped or challenged me yet. I am waiting for the day though when the armed response unit police, screech up to me in their armoured Land Rover shouting "do not shoot anything and put the weapon of mass photography down, or we will arrest you, and send you to Guantanamo".
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...315280&page=20

Although generally tollerant within the city centre, I think we might start to see more of this sort of 'behaviour' in the coming months, and it'd be good to all know where we actually stand legally.

I've taken this link from a post by The Longford in a thread I started about the governments plans to further restrict the rights of everyday people to take photos in public. It's a link to a .pdf file which gives a good outline of photographers rights in the UK

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/media/UKPhotographerRights.pdf

The main points to note are:

* It is perfectly legal to take photographs of buildings from public places.

* If you are on privately owned property you may be asked not to take photographs by the owner of the property (or a representitive of the owner, like a security guard).

* If you you enter privately owned property without permission you are trespassing

* If you are caught trespassing (or taking photos when you've been asked not to) the owner can ask you to leave and use 'reasonable force' to remove you from their property, although this does not extend to violence, threats of violence or damaging or confiscating your property (ie a camera). If they do any of these things they are breaking the law. If they ask you to leave and you won't leave they can call the police.

* You could be sued by a landowner for trespassing, although it's unlikely unless you've actually caused physical damage.

* You can't take photos of certain buildings and infrastructures (such as defence buildings, powerstations, airports) under the 1911 official secrets act, but this only applies if those photographs could be 'useful to an enemy' (bit vague) and if they can prove that you're not just taking photos for innocent purposes.

* The Terrorism Act 2000, gives police more powers to stop and search people on the basis of suspicion alone. Now, this is where it gets tricky, the act makes it an offence to 'take or posses' photographs containing information likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism. Which could basically be any picture of any building, although common sense would suggest that photos taken of views generally available to the public, and for a recognised purpose, should be ok. Just be careful taking photos of blueprints of nuclear power stations.

* It is perfectly legal to take photographs of people in public places provided that it's not a place where that person would have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

So, in summary, take photos wherever you like, but if you're on privately owned land (most carparks would be included in that definition) go quietly if told to stop or asked to leave. If you're standing on a street (and not causing an obstruction) taking a photo of a building you don't have to stop or leave. Unless a building is covered by the official secrets act then no one other than the police can tell you not to photograph it from a public place, and no one other than the police can confiscate your camera (and even then they only have restricted powers).

Hope that helps - VIVE LA RESISTANCE!
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #106
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 1001

Quote:
* If you are on privately owned property you may be asked not to take photographs by the owner of the property (or a representitive of the owner, like a security guard).

I'm sure that Princes Dock is private property of Peel. There are signs near the waterfront gates, where the Seacat used to be before it was crippled. You'd be OK on the Pier Head though. Best just to email Peel for permission IMO.
Scarecrow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #107
T0M
Scousish

Good idea Bunny, although technically someone from Malmaison can't tell you to stop taking photos if you're standing on Peel's land not theirs. Of course if you're rooting round in the bins like JUXTY then you're likely to get a cuff round the ear...
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #108
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Cheers Tom that is good info to know, as Bunnyman says, Peel do own the land, probably similar to the massive L1 development owned by Grosvenor (will be interesting to see what restrictions there when complete). Now they own the land, but many people use the place, live, work, and leisure, so is this a public place, i would say yes.
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #109
mr-nad

here are some pics from the 'Contemporary art from China' Firework face off

totally amazing

mr-nad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #110
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Wow, i should have got down there, great photo's.
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #111
mr-nad

cheers here's some more

Old March 31st, 2007, 12:32 AM   #112
Spaceman

C - I give permission for any of the photos or pictures which I post, or have previously posted, on this site only to be used by any member of this forum for non-profit, urban development related purposes but wish to be credited where possible and wish to be informed if my images have been used.
Spaceman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:22 PM   #113
Doug Roberts

Likes (Received): 163

I received this e-mail yesterday from the '10 Downing Street' site in response to me signing the photo petition.

E-Petition: response from the Government
The e-petition asking the Prime Minister to "Stop proposed restrictions regarding photography in public places" is on-going. This is a response in advance of the closing date from the Government.

Thank you for signing the petition on the Downing Street website calling for the Prime Minister to stop proposed restrictions on photography in public places.

This petition has already attracted over 60,000 signatures from people who obviously share your concern. Not surprisingly, the idea that the Government might be poised to restrict your ability to take photos has caused some puzzlement and even alarm.

We have therefore decided to respond to this petition before its closing date of August, in order to reassure people.

The Government appreciates that millions of people in this country enjoy photography. So we have checked carefully to see if any Government department was considering any proposal that might possibly lead to the sort of restrictions suggested by this petition. We have been assured this is not the case.

There may be cases where individual schools or other bodies believe it is necessary to have some restrictions on photography, for instance to protect children, but that would be a matter for local decisions.

In fact, Simon Taylor, who started the petition, has since made clear that he was not really referring to Government action or legislation. His main concern appears to be that photographic societies and other organisations may introduce voluntary ID cards for members to help them explain why they are taking photographs. Again, any such scheme would not involve the Government.

We hope this re-assures you and clears up the confusion.

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. Yoda
Doug Roberts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #114
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Likes (Received): 428

odds and sods .......

Misc collection of pics from our 5 April walk-about...........

Port of Liverpool
URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL

Port of Liverpool behind the hoardings

Water Street with the Town Hall

Ma Boyles in Tower Building

Unity.
]URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL

Planet- Bar Light, she must be saved

Old April 7th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #115
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

Quote:
Planet- Bar Light, she must be saved

Too late, she has been chopped up and placed as ornaments around the Albert Dock....
Old April 7th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #116
woody
Liverpool + Urmston

Likes (Received): 428

[QUOTE=JUXTAPOL;12551694]Too late, she has been chopped up and placed as ornaments around the Albert Dock....

HA HA, when did this piece of public art show up? I have never seen it
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #117
JUXTAPOL
800th birthday in 2007

[QUOTE=woody;12551754]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUXTAPOL View Post
Too late, she has been chopped up and placed as ornaments around the Albert Dock....

HA HA, when did this piece of public art show up? I have never seen it
Just today, when they chopped that ship up....

No only jesting of course...Not sure when it went up, but it is really good, i hope it lights up and makes foghorn sounds.
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #118
T0M
Scousish

Liverpool 9/11

A vapour trail leaves a beautiful yet eerie mark on the Liverpool skyline, it's position behind the nearly finished Beetham West tower is unsettlingly reminiscent of scenes from the New York skyline on 9/11. Which just shows what a massive impact those images had that they can illict an emotional response from a random skyline shot like this.

Are we still vulnerable? Food for thought...
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #119
mr-nad

the red lighthouse art piece went up last week as part of the Art From China Tate Exhibition, it, like the fountain, is only temporary it does light up but
it is not allowed to through fears of causing plane and boat crashes. the artists name is Gu Dexin and there is a bit more here:

http://www.tate.org.uk/liverpool/exh...itionguide.htm

when visiting the Albert Dock he actually thought the light ship was brought here especially for him!
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #120
afk9000

UPC tbh Tom
afk9000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote