daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area For Birmingham, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands.

Old May 29th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #101
djay
Chartered Town Planner

Likes (Received): 117

i remember that, was a great ep aswel.

Two Weeks Notice
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 30th, 2009, 12:15 AM   #102
feltip

Likes (Received): 298

I remember that one. With the mosque and the fundamentalists.

I think thats the charm of the city we have the grotey and the new which gives us so much potential for different stories.

edit: episode recap if you don't mind a spoiler or reminder. http://www.tv.com/Spooks/Episode+2/e...397/recap.html

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
feltip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #103
blar

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by feltip View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing this on our screens. It's almost 20 years since a television drama was set and filmed in Brum. I hope the producers choose interesting settings around the city and not just the Bullring and Brindley Place
blar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 01:13 AM   #104
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Quote:
A Birmingham-based film-maker is bucking the trend of London-based production by making the most of the city’s talent and resources for his new film.

The collaborative effort is the first joint venture from Immense Productions – the partnership between Guardian columnist Guy Browning and Birmingham-based producer Steffan Aquarone.

The feel-good film, The Husband Obedience Trials, will be produced in Birmingham and filming will take place in Kingston Bagpuize near Oxford for five weeks in the summer. Mr Aquarone said: “Very few full-length films are genuinely regionally produced, so it is great to be a part of such a breaking project. There is no reason why all production should fall to London. In my work with the Producer’s Forum I encounter so much talent in the city and we have the equipment as well as the skills.
http://www.filmbirmingham.co.uk/Arti...test_film.aspx
I'm in the production team for that.

Sound guy, obviously.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM   #105
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Aquila Television's 'Tom Raider Ascension' feature-length fan film was the most popular torrent on Pirate Bay yesterday. Beating other torrents such as Star Trek and Night at the Museum. Shot in 7 days, with a budget of £20,000. Today it is at number 8 on Pirate Bay and topping most other torrent web sites.

Aquila had to take the main web site down after getting tens of thousands wanting to download the DVD version from the site yesterday.

Trailer:

Aquila TV are based on Broad Street. http://www.aquila-tv.com/

Last edited by SimonTheSoundMan; June 3rd, 2009 at 05:17 PM.
SimonTheSoundMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:49 PM   #106
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 173

Hahaahahahahhaaha that looks terrible! Let's hope nobody knows they're a Birmingham based company!

Flickr

Pinterest
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:56 PM   #107
djay
Chartered Town Planner

its good for 20k lighting is a lil poor though

Two Weeks Notice
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:17 PM   #108
SimonTheSoundMan
Unregistered User

Erm, fanfilm, £20k, 7 days. You think it's going to be like a block buster?

It's got a lot of attention by people in the industry for being so good for such a low budget and short time.
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #109
feltip

i'm impressed

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #110
JayPeeDee

Likes (Received): 475

For something that cost 1/3600th the price of the Hollywood film this is excellent. I've seen much worse in so called professional TV drama.
JayPeeDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #111
feltip

Not sure which best thread but O2 Academy opens with the Editors performing on Sept 10.

Quote:
Editors To Launch O2 Birmingham Academy
June 05, 2009 - Global | Touring

By Jen Wilson, London

U.K. rock act Editors are set to be the first headline act to perform at the new O2 Birmingham Academy on Sept. 10.

It will be the band's first non-festival U.K. show this year, with bookings for European festivals including Germany's Hurricane and Southside, England's Latitude and Greece’s Ejekt festival in Athens.

As previously reported (Billboard.biz, June 1), U.K. venue operator Academy Music Group (AMG) announced it will open the new site in Birmingham, England this fall. Other shows have been confirmed for Dizzee Rascal, Bloc Party and the Maccabees.

The venue will have an overall capacity of 3,859 and house three venues; a 3,000-plus capacity auditorium, the 600-capacity O2 Academy 2 Birmingham and 250-capcity O2 Academy 3 Birmingham.
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/conte...b5ff92f3838e0c

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old June 8th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #112
feltip

Well whoever said Survivors had finished filming is totally out of the loop.

We had an email about road closures as part of filming.

Quote:
Sunday 14th June - 6.30am to 6.30pm – Newhall Street / Edmund Street area and Livery Street Car Park

This day is one of The Survivors biggest and most important filming days. The BBC need to film along Newhall Street and Edmund Street throughout most of the day, as well as on the top floor of Livery Street Car Park. The following requirements have been agreed with the Birmingham City Council Highways Team.

They have requested the complete closure of Newhall Street from Colmore Row down to Great Charles Queensway for the whole day. Their filming will be looking down towards Great Charles Queensway but they do not require any control of the traffic along Great Charles Queensway. Access for vehicles along Newhall Street from the Great Charles Queensway end up to Cornwall Street will also be possible from 1400 hours onwards.

There will be complete closure of Edmund Street from the Livery Street junction up to the Margaret Street junction.

A temporary traffic control will be in operation on Livery Street at its junction with Edmund Street, and also on Church Street, where it joins Edmund Street.
Filming will also take place on the top floor of Livery Street Car Park and this will be closed for parking on the day. This is mostly for views along Edmund Street of the actors on the ground – but also for one scene that involves one actor sitting on top of the roof of the stair-well block, at the upper end of this top floor, looking at the city around him. This character will not be jumping down or moving during this scene. The remainder of Livery Street Car Park will be open as usual throughout the day.

The BBC will be employing a Traffic Management Company to attend and signpost the road closures and diversions, and are requesting a police presence to control the traffic on Livery Street and Church Street.

All parking bays will be suspended as follows - along Newhall Street (between Great Charles Street and Colmore Row) and along Edmund Street from the Saturday for filming and continuity purposes.

GREATER BIRMINGHAM
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #113
djay
Chartered Town Planner

i just noticed on big brother, they have a bus stop in the garden and on that bus stop it says...11A Outter Circle lol

Two Weeks Notice
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #114
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 84

You shouldn't watch that awful show

Interesting news Feltip, maybe a giant abandoned construction site next to Livery Street car park will be shown. I'm not sure how thet will get a deserted city feel if they are filming Great Charles Street Queensway in full flow.
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #115
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 192

Thanks Feltip. This is truely a coup for the city. I might even start watching it. I love seeing Birmingham on film. I watch embarrassing bodies for all the wide shots of the skyline and the odd shot of a wonky boob.
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #116
BABYCAKES

Likes (Received): 0

This weeks question time, which should have been broadcast from Llandudno, has been moved to Birmingham. It may go out live also....
Old June 9th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #117
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 34

Be prepared for some fine workings of the Brummie accent then.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #118
markmcd1976

Likes (Received): 67

Looks like they are filming on Bridge Street in town today, Survivors I guess.
markmcd1976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #119
hoody
Ahoy Ahoy

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
Be prepared for some fine workings of the Brummie accent then.
It always makes me cringe with the brummie accent on tellybox. They always manage to secure a yammer and over emphasis the accent.

Think Howard from the Halifax and when he was animated? Does he have a job anymore?
hoody no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #120
U475 Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Kerrang! Radio to close Birmingham news room
Jun 10 2009 by Anna Blackaby, Birmingham Post

Birmingham-based Kerrang! Radio is to close its city newsroom in the Jewellery Quarter and to report Midlands news from Manchester.

The four-strong news team producing regionally-focused news at the alternative music station have been offered redundancy, with the potential for two positions to relocate to Manchester.

Kerrang!, which is owned by Bauer Media, is considering using its Manchester-based sister brand Key 103 to produce news for the Midlands station.

A Kerrang! radio spokesperson said the company had entered into consultations with staff and was considering its options.

“Our strategy is to locally invest in the best programming and creative talent to inform and entertain our listeners. The resource needed to do that is flexed up and down in order to best serve their audience and advertisers,” the person said.

“We are now proposing to reshape our Kerrang! teams to support the business going forward.

“To discuss these proposals we are now entering into consultation with a number of people. We believe that these changes are necessary, but will not be making any further comment until consultations are concluded.”

It was not clear how the station would continue to provide West Midlands news from Manchester but the spokesperson said: “Our commitment to providing local news for the West Midlands community remains unchanged.”

Kerrang!, which is based on Lionel Street, has been one of the rising stars of the region’s media, recently taking the gold prize in the Station of the Year category for stations with more than one million listeners at the Sony Radio Academy Awards, known as the “Oscars” of the radio industry.

Radio industry listening figures published in March saw the station continue to increase its weekly reach, broadcasting to 374,000 people across the West Midlands.

The station’s nationwide DAB broadcast also recently made it into the top ten of the list of stations on a national level measured in terms of listening hours.

Over the past 12 months Kerrang!, which launched in 2004, has been changing the music it plays to appeal to a wider audience beyond its traditional rock listener base as well as bringing in more mainstream presenters such as ex-Big Brother star Kate Lawler.
http://www.birminghampost.net/birmin...5233-23831276/
U475 Foxtrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
media