daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #821
keLmikez
Safe, fast, reliable.

Likes (Received): 4

i'm so sad that the planned cebu LRT wasn't pushed through

Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #822
jacknjill
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Northrail

Any news about NORTHRAIL? Deadball na ba ito? It is now under DOTC.
jacknjill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:15 AM   #823
jacknjill
BANNED

The nation needs NorthRail now more than ever especially with the rising cost of fuel/gasoline.
Old April 28th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #824
rawr

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bintaro View Post
halos naman lahat ng mga magagandang projects nasa luzon lang samantalang kami na nasa visayas at mindanao kukunti lang, parang Republic of Luzon lang ata ang Pilipinas.

Visayas is the tourism region for the Philippines

Don't know much about Mindanao

and perhaps

because nearly half of the voting population lives on Luzon...
rawr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #825
rawr

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknjill View Post
Any news about NORTHRAIL? Deadball na ba ito? It is now under DOTC.
Project is rolling...and slated to be completed on late 2013 or early 14
rawr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #826
pi_malejana

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawr View Post
Visayas is the tourism region for the Philippines

Don't know much about Mindanao

and perhaps

because nearly half of the voting population lives on Luzon...
well, there are plans to revive the Panay Railways... and also a feasibility study is now being done for the Mindanao Railways... so yeah, the plans are there we just have to wait and see..

Old April 29th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #827
Sky Harbor
Green + Maroon = Blue. :D

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bintaro View Post
halos naman lahat ng mga magagandang projects nasa luzon lang samantalang kami na nasa visayas at mindanao kukunti lang, parang Republic of Luzon lang ata ang Pilipinas.
First, please speak in English. This is not the Philippine forums.

Second, like what everyone said, there are plans to revive the Panay Railways network (Iloilo-Roxas-Kalibo-Caticlan with a spur line to the Iloilo International Airport), and the Mindanao Railways project will hopefully push through. Is it even possible for the old Cebu rail network to be revived? As far as I know the ROW is now occupied by other structures.

Finally, I think it's unfair to label Philippine infrastructure development as being only Luzon-centric. Like in Indonesia, where half of that country's population lives on only one island (Java), it's not our fault that half of the country's population lives on Luzon, and transportation infrastructure on Luzon is already stretched to its limits.
Old April 29th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #828
ruffaramboo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

filipino are very irritating creatures that's why there is no progress in your country everyone is sick and rotten
ruffaramboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #829
jacknjill
BANNED

Northrail Contract Faces Cancelation

http://business.inquirer.net/money/t...es-cancelation
Old May 1st, 2011, 06:15 PM   #830
jacknjill
BANNED

Latest News

Latest News about Northrail. See: http://www.sunstar.com.ph/pampanga/l...s-want-recall-
Old May 1st, 2011, 06:22 PM   #831
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknjill View Post
Wow a six year delay to the completion of the first segment. That's grim. Btw I find the Inquirer's indexing system amusing in a perverse way:

Quote:
Filed Under: Railway, Government Contracts, Conflicts (general), Graft & Corruption
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:04 AM   #832
Sky Harbor

Some pictures from the Philippine forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepeng_agimat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 915bungohunter View Post
Tutuban Depot

Old May 4th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #833
ruffaramboo
BANNED

Wow world class!
Old May 4th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #834
Sky Harbor

It's getting there, and I hope it gets there.
Old May 12th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #835
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Harbor View Post
It's getting there, and I hope it gets there.
It is possible for it to get there.

However
When certain people would not be willing to increase fares (even just a bit) to improve the quality and standard of our rail transportation services, there is nothing much we can do, is there?

Imagine this, I've been hearing some people clamoring that they are annoyed at overcrowded trains, trains breaking down or encountering numerous mechanical/technical problems more than once a month, poor services at train stations etc etc.

And yet they do not want to increase fares........

Well, if that's how they want it, then fine. However, yeah, simple cause-and-effect. What you pay is what you get:

Abysmally cheap fares = Abysmally cheap and poor quality rail transport services

I just hope that these militants and extremists do not complain since they brought this upon themselves when they oppose the fare hike........

@to all the overseas forumers here

Just to gain some opinions (from others on a more international perspective):

Alright, to all people who are from other countries and territories (outside of the Philippines) who are reading this thread right now. Let me ask you this:

Do you think it's possible to run or operate rail transportation services that are world-class.........if fares and pricing are so unreasonably low and cheap?

*In your respective countries/territories I mean*

Thanks
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #836
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Do you think it's possible to run or operate rail transportation services that are world-class.........if fares and pricing are so unreasonably low and cheap?
It depends on how much operations are based on farebox revenues- you can charge the existing rates if the government is willing to bear the costs by subsidizing it. Perhaps there should be a marketing study done- and from that generate a suitable fare structure i.e. make rail a bit more expensive (but with better service) to attract a higher income crowd, and have buses and jitneys serve the lower income brackets. Also, fence off the right of way, enforce anti-squatting (trespassing) laws, and clean up the litter- if a place looks like a dump, people will continue to treat it like a dump- it's human nature.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #837
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
It depends on how much operations are based on farebox revenues- you can charge the existing rates if the government is willing to bear the costs by subsidizing it. Perhaps there should be a marketing study done- and from that generate a suitable fare structure i.e. make rail a bit more expensive (but with better service) to attract a higher income crowd, and have buses and jitneys serve the lower income brackets. Also, fence off the right of way, enforce anti-squatting (trespassing) laws, and clean up the litter- if a place looks like a dump, people will continue to treat it like a dump- it's human nature.
You do have a point.

However, to add to the political and social dilemma, there unfortunately lies a problem regarding:

1) Subsidies

The problem with current subsidies is that it hits on those who do not ride the train. The principle in that lies on the notion that "you only pay for the services that you use or will ever use". It does make sense in a way because why the hell would you pay for something that you would never use in your lifetime.

The ones that are hit hard are those from the rural provinces. They don't get to use these rail services at all.........and yet they are still paying for these either way.

That is what most of these extremist and militant scumbags fail to see.

2) Overcrowding

I guess it's more of a supply and demand thing. The issue though here is that yes, they priced it too low and lots of people were using the service and thus revenue slightly increased. However yeah, it reached a point where it created new problems in the process. Things like pushing and shoving to passengers getting in and alighting on trains, longer dwell times beyond usual (that lasts for minutes)............and trains breaking down due to higher stress and fatigue brought about by extreme crowding and overcapacity.

Well for me, if they wanna keep fares absymally low and continue with these high subsidies, well fine by me.

However, if majority of people would choose that option, then they should know what to expect and not complain if rail services degrade or stagnate in quality, trains break down more often than usual, trains get overcrowded and so on so forth.

It gets frustrating IMHO to hear complaining about subpar quality and services of our local rail transport but are opposed to the fare hike.

Let's be real here. People want something like this:

But only want the fare to stay the same at 10-15 pesos per train ride. WTF???

Heck, I believe that it's not even possible to get doors and gates at such extremely low cost fares.

And some people believe that 10-15 pesos per train ride can get stuff like those. Talk about delusional.......

I guess some people do not understand how expensive it is to operate a rail transportation service as well as to buy trains, maintain them and handle stuff like collections, logistics, staff, equipment, etc etc.

Oh well, if that's what they want fine. In short, the principle here is:
What you pay is what you get.

In this case, cheapshit fare = cheapshit services.

I think some locals tend to be delusional to think that they clamor for world-class train services yet don't want to pay at all. Thing is, this is not some utopia but this is real life. Furthermore, the main purpose (or at least one of the main purposes) of any rail transport business is to make money. It seems unreasonable that militant and extremist groups want to attack them when a fare hike is really needed and is justifiable.

Well, are the rail companies obliged to give you free rides 24/7?

Hayzz, I guess some people can be really hard to get to.......

P.S.
Come to our thread and you'll really understand what we mean:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...351569&page=30
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #838
Sky Harbor

To be fair, this is the international PNR/Northrail thread, not the LRT/MRT thread. Unlike the LRT and MRT, the PNR has not been hit by all these protests surrounding the fare hike because they haven't bothered asking for it even though it seems likely that it will be necessary. However, it does belong in the greater scheme of things.

It begs the question: rail services are indeed public services. But why do other rail systems charge more for better service? Or, to take it further, why are some rail companies privatized and still offer the same reliable service? These are questions which are notoriously absent from the entire debate on Philippine rail infrastructure and fare hikes and privatization.
Old May 16th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #839
ruffaramboo
BANNED

WORLD CLASS!!!

Old May 17th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #840
philippine_railways
RAILWAY ADVOCATE

Likes (Received): 83

philippine_railways no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags