daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #201
Furet

Likes (Received): 1

I find the Collins Road Atlas of Ireland (Touring Edition) to be the best. It's easy to read, and clearly laid out (main colour is green, with brown for high ground. Contours are ommitted unless stark. roads are coloured yellow (regional); reddish (secondary); green (primary); blue (motorway).

The most recent publication I have is the 2007 edition.
Furet no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #202
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Can NRA object and veto developments alongside DC as well? Or just alongside the motorways?
They can object as much as they like, but planning laws in this country are so lax (and corrupt) that they frequently get ignored by vested interests.
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #203
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19163

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
They can object to any development beside a National Road (begins with N, e.g. N1, N2, N3 etc).

Do you live in London? I would try to get hold of an Irish map of Ireland, e.g. the one produced by OSI, "Complete Road Atlas of Ireland".
Yes, I do live in London.
We stock OS Ireland. We have all sheets of 50k Discovery maps, we also keep atlases mentioned above. But to be honest OS Ireland maps are even less up to date than road maps from other publishers like Collins or Michelin.
I'm waiting to see if we will get the new 2009 editions from some publishers (not everyone publishes new edition every year). There might be some updates. I especially wait for the new Collins. I like their cartography.

Quote:
They can object as much as they like, but planning laws in this country are so lax (and corrupt) that they frequently get ignored by vested interests.
But to build new junction there has to be NRA approval. I hope so.
Can local authorities decide to put new junction on existing motorways or grade separated DC?

I don't have anything against new developments next to existing junctions. That's what motorways are for. Not only to connect distant population centres but also to stimulate development alongside (industrial estates, logistic centres but also housing).
That's why I was asking about motorway projects towards north west of Ireland.

Last edited by geogregor; January 14th, 2009 at 09:17 PM.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #204
Furet

New photos of M-F M8 scheme, all taken 16/01/09.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I got handed this leaflet at the toll booth today.

Last edited by Furet; January 16th, 2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: New photos of M-F M8 scheme, all taken 16/01/09.
Old January 16th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #205
Furet

Quote:
There might be some updates. I especially wait for the new Collins. I like their cartography.
Can you let me know if Collins are publishing a 2009 edition please? I'd like to get one.
Old January 16th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #206
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Do they also have these of Ireland?
[IMG]http://i42.************/16apqc5.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #207
Furet

Yes, I have one. I prefer the Collins atlases though - much more reader friendly.

For anyone interested, here is a video of M8 construction in County Cork today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdM9sgQnoE0
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #208
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furet View Post
Yes, I have one. I prefer the Collins atlases though - much more reader friendly.

For anyone interested, here is a video of M8 construction in County Cork today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdM9sgQnoE0
Great video!
I love those big dump trucks. Did you realise how little space they need to turn around?

By the way, when dump truck is unloading concrete into machine which lays the surface, does driver drive truck or machine just pushes it? It seems to move very slowly and it must be difficult to drive truck so slowly and evenly.
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #209
geogregor

Quote:
Can you let me know if Collins are publishing a 2009 edition please? I'd like to get one.
We got map but not atlases yet. I'm not sure if they will publish one.
2009 Collins map which we got still have HQDC to Athlone rather than M6. So it's not very up to date. I guess all the publication process takes few months so map was probably done in middle of the 2008, definitely before redesignation.
They mark all the schemes under construction but in such a way that you don't know if it's going to be motorways or HQDC.
Once we got atlas I'll let you know guys.

When they finish construction around Fermoy and Mitchelstown, only missing link between Cork and Dublin is going to be M7/M8 PPP.
Am I correct?
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #210
Furet

Quote:
Great video!
I love those big dump trucks. Did you realise how little space they need to turn around?

By the way, when dump truck is unloading concrete into machine which lays the surface, does driver drive truck or machine just pushes it? It seems to move very slowly and it must be difficult to drive truck so slowly and evenly.
Good question! I don't know...I got the impression that the dump truck was being pushed forward by the wide machine, but I'm not sure.
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #211
ardmacha

Gantry road sign at N7/M50 intersection blows over in storm force winds and hits rear of a car, whose driver and passenger were very lucky.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fergusmcna ... 682219932/
ardmacha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #212
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
We got map but not atlases yet. I'm not sure if they will publish one.
2009 Collins map which we got still have HQDC to Athlone rather than M6. So it's not very up to date. I guess all the publication process takes few months so map was probably done in middle of the 2008, definitely before redesignation.
They mark all the schemes under construction but in such a way that you don't know if it's going to be motorways or HQDC.
Once we got atlas I'll let you know guys.

When they finish construction around Fermoy and Mitchelstown, only missing link between Cork and Dublin is going to be M7/M8 PPP.
Am I correct?
I'm very frustrated by mapping of Ireland. The Irish OSI maps are correct but not updated frequently; the British and European maps are full of errors.
I know about the way the Collins map marks roads - this is probably because they weren't sure if they were getting redesignated motorway or not. Hopefully the 2010 editions will be more certain

Yes, the M7/M8 Y-shaped motorway will be the only remaining scheme. The next event will be the redesignation of the dual carriageway between Cork and Fermoy. If this happens, it will occur in March. After that, in May/June, will be the Mitchelstown Motorway. Finally the M7/M8 will open around the end of 2010.
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #213
Furet

Just to follow up on the construction video I posted upthread, a few people wondered what layer was being applied in the video. I believe this is called CBM, which stands for Cement-Based Material. This is tipped in front of the asphalt laying machine, which then gathers it, distributes it, levels it and compacts it. This is the process shown in the video.

Next, rollers follow the laying machine and further compact it, as can be seen in this picture:
image hosted on flickr

A little further back we have another machine, shown in the picture below, which sprays what I presume is bitumen onto the CBM to form an adhesive layer. Onto this go three layers of asphalt.
image hosted on flickr
Old January 25th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #214
geogregor

If I understand correctly the central barrier is constructed on top of the final layer of asphalt. How do they fix concrete segments to the surface? Some sort of bolts?
Furet could you take some pictures when they will be doing this?
Old January 25th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #215
Furet

geogregor,

Here is a post from boards.ie that explains the process: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...61&postcount=7

The concrete median is laid on the penultimate (second last) layer of asphalt.

Quote:
Concrete Barrier

First off concrete can only be poured in temperatures above 3 celcius. The concrete barrier must be poured after the base layer or the second layer and always before the final layer. Thats the foundation. These barriers are heavy, extremely heavy. 10 trucks could hit one at the same time and might possibly move it slightly.

The barrier is poured using a specific machine imported from the US....The machine can be fitted with different shaped "shuttering" to create different types of barrier, kerb, shouldering etc. It's sooo god damned slow. Truck arrives with very contentious looking concerete. You cannot pour wet or even slightly wet concrete into it because it would collapse coming out the other side. It's a 'slump' of 40, if that means anything to people. Wet concrete for foundations is usually a slump of 140. This stuff is nearly dry. It's very hard to work with but that dryness creates the shape. Prior to it being laid there are many many steel rebars welded together over the long stretch and the machine scoops these up in the line and into the machine. These then become part of the concrete barrier providing its support in the central part of it.

Later after the barrier is dry we cut bore holes in it where required. It may be required on a sloped corner to allow water to pass from one side to the other for fear of creating a large puddle.

Time between laying layers in Tarmac. You have to wait as long as the engineer needs to test the previous layer of tarmac. If the previous layer is not tested you are not allowed to lay over it. This is the NRA guidline and if a guy is laying your driveway don't expect it. However, essentially you could lay another layer of tarmac over it within 3 hours. You might have seen during a light rain driving past tarmac layers that their are masses of steam coming from the road. That truck that just delivered the tarmac could have been sitting there over 90minutes yet the tarmac is still piping hot. As soon as its leaves the confines of being squashed together in the truck and laid out it will cool quicker. You can realistically drive on tarmac after its laid in around 30 minutes. I used to walk on it instantly and if you stop your stuck but if you keep going your feet squash in a bit but instantly pop back into a flat area as soon as you clear it.
I will take a photograph if I happen to be in the right place at the right time. It all depends on whether or not I happen to be driving past the construction site when they're building it. I don't live beside the new road you see; I only pass by it maybe two or three times per week and often take a detour to observe progress/works.

Last edited by Furet; January 25th, 2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #216
geogregor

Thanks.
I guess the steels reinforcement must be somehow fixed to the surface before applying concrete.

I asked you about pictures because you seems to be the most reliable picture provider on IRL thread. It is pity they mostly from N8/M8. I guess it is on your commuting way
I wish we have more commuters like you using other routes alongside other road projects in Ireland
This thread would be them much more lively.
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #217
Furet

Quote:

I wish we have more commuters like you using other routes alongside other road projects in Ireland
This thread would be them much more lively.
I would personally love to see pictures of the M3 and M7 schemes in particular. But they are too far away from me, and no one else seems to be able or willing to take a few photos.

I do it mostly because I think that 30 years into the future it will be nice to have a pictorial archive of the works. I am a trainee historian, so I have a compulsion to preserve historical sources that might interest people in the future (as well as people like you in the present) whenever I can.
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #218
Furet

These are the only two photos of median construction I have in my collection, but the quality is poor and you can't see much detail unfortunately.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3354637...50094/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3354637...26220/sizes/o/
Old January 25th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #219
Furet

I forgot to say that there's a pretty good website for the Limerick Tunnel project here: http://www.limericktunnel.com/index.html

And for the N25 Waterford Bypass here: http://www.waterfordcity.ie/n25bypass/index.htm
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #220
geogregor

Quote:
I forgot to say that there's a pretty good website for the Limerick Tunnel project here: http://www.limericktunnel.com/index.html

And for the N25 Waterford Bypass here: http://www.waterfordcity.ie/n25bypass/index.htm
Thanks for links. I've seen Waterford bypass website before but I didn't know Limerick tunnel website.
The tunnel website is excellent and very up to date. I wish other projects have such good websites.

Especially M7/M8 PPP (Portlaoise - Cullahill/Borris-in-Ossory) scheme seems to have very little publicity for such important junction of two crucial motorways. The same with next part of N7/M7 from Borris-in-Ossory to Nenagh. It is really hard to find any information about this projects.

There is also surprisingly little information about M3, for project so close to the capital.