daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #221
ardmacha

Likes (Received): 1

Road programme for 2009

This post deleted in protest against politically biased moderation.

Keep politics out of the roads forum.

Last edited by ardmacha; March 27th, 2010 at 04:41 AM.
ardmacha no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #222
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 27

Due to the collapsing finances of Ireland, the axe has fallen. Everything bar four potential PPP programs has been put on hold. The four PPPs may not go ahead either, with Ireland horrific banking situation PPP funding may be untenable too.

Quote:
THE GOVERNMENT has ordered a halt to planned spending on almost 80 national road-building schemes, worth billions of euro, until further notice.

The instruction was issued to the National Roads Authority late last month. Under it, the NRA is forbidden from spending on all capital projects which are not already under way, unless each new project is individually sanctioned by the Department of Finance.

The curbs will affect 78 major construction projects in the NRA Roads Programme, 55 of them national primary roads and 23 national secondary roads.

The curb will also extend to road maintenance where contracts for items such as road resurfacing will also need to be pre-approved by the Department of Finance.

A spokesman for the NRA said the authority was “very concerned”, particularly as a lot of current inter-urban schemes were ahead of schedule, and would be completed this year.

Under normal circumstances the NRA would then move ahead with 55 planned improvement schemes on national primary routes, including those linking Dublin with Monaghan, Sligo, Mayo and Wexford, as well as inter-regional routes, such as Limerick to Waterford and Limerick to Cork, and national secondary roads.

In effect the move means that as the inter-urban routes are completed over the coming 20 months, the NRA will gradually run out of work, unless schemes are individually approved by the department.

The department confirmed yesterday that all new capital projects now need to be pre-approved. A spokesman acknowledged that this new requirement had been imposed “in the light of changing economic circumstances”.

The only exception to the Government’s edict is to be the 6km Castleisland bypass in Co Kerry, sanctioned by the Department of Finance on March 19th.

Credit for the sanction was yesterday claimed by the Independent Kerry TD Jackie Healy Rae, who said he had used his position as a Government supporter to “at all times put the interest of the people [of Kerry] first”. He said the Opposition should “stop trying to jeopardise the further items that I have an agreement on”.

The instruction to the NRA mirrors that issued to local authorities ordering them to halt €500 million worth of work on regional and local roads, pending approval of each scheme from the department.

The Construction Industry Federation met Department of the Taoiseach secretary general Dermot McCarthy in recent weeks to express its concern at the Government’s instruction.

The federation said the halt in spending was “right across the board in relation to the National Development Plan commitments on water, housing and roads”. In relation to the roads it said the instruction was “absolutely savage”.

“At our emergency meeting with Dermot McCarthy we pointed out that every €100 million invested in infrastructure carried with it 1,000 jobs and returned €50 million to the Government in taxes and reduced social welfare payments . . . it is a major bone of contention,” federation spokesman Martin Whelan said.

The inter-urban motorway programme that was announced by the Government in 1999 comprised motorways to the Border and the regional cities of Galway, Limerick, Cork and Waterford.

Road schemes affected

Two schemes between Kells, Co Meath and Belturbet, Co Cavan on the N3

Three schemes on the N2 between Ashbourne and Co Monaghan

Three schemes on the N4 between Mullingar and Castlebaldwin

Three schemes on the N16 in counties Sligo, Leitrim and Cavan

Four schemes between Longford and Westport on the N5

Six schemes on the N25 between New Ross, Co Wexford and the Cork Southern Ring

Four schemes on the N13/N14/N15 group of roads in the northwest

Five schemes on the N22 between Tralee and Cork

Seven schemes on the N24 in Co Tipperary

23 schemes on national secondary roads.

These schemes will not now go ahead unless specifically sanctioned by the Department of Finance.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...243317036.html

78 major projects, originally scheduled to be done by 2015 at the latest, have now been culled for the time being.
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #223
Fluff
Fluff

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_533976 View Post
Due to the collapsing finances of Ireland, the axe has fallen. Everything bar four potential PPP programs has been put on hold. The four PPPs may not go ahead either, with Ireland horrific banking situation PPP funding may be untenable too.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...243317036.html

78 major projects, originally scheduled to be done by 2015 at the latest, have now been culled for the time being.
Following on from this article; today's Irish Independent:

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...t-1683737.html

At least the key motorways will be completed
Fluff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #224
Furet

M7 Nenagh to Limerick photos

I have a few photographic updates of the M7 Nenagh to Limerick scheme. A good bit of progress with the pavement and concrete barrier has been made, but we're still at least five or six months away from an opening. This is unfortunate, because the road was due to open in a few weeks' time.

This photo is taken from an overbridge west of the end of the Nenagh Bypass. You can access it by taking the first right turn up a narrow lane after you clear the bypass heading from Limerick. I photographed the same position last February; that picture is upthread.

This photo is taken from the same overbridge, this time looking towards the Nenagh Bypass and Dublin:

This photo, which looks east, was taken from an overbridge close to the turn off for Silvermines:

Taken from the same position, looking to Limerick:

Taken from an overbridge on the Limerick side of Daly's Cross, looking east:

Taken from the same location, this time looking west:
Furet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #225
ardmacha

Aerial picture

Old April 28th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #226
ardmacha

Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:07 AM   #227
Furet

M8 Mitchelstown to Fermoy, 1 May 2009

A few photos. Still very much on track for opening on 25 May.

The new overbridge concrete barrier style - no bulge on the carriageway to accomodate the bridge supports:
image hosted on flickr

Three kilometres south of junction 13:
image hosted on flickr

Same position, looking north:
image hosted on flickr

About 2.5 km south of junction 13:
image hosted on flickr

Same position, looking south:
image hosted on flickr

ADS:
image hosted on flickr

More ADS:
image hosted on flickr

The wearing course:
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Furet; May 2nd, 2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:18 PM   #228
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

I have to say, I love Ireland's new roads. The motorways look amazing, the signage is very clear (better than the UK's signage, IMO). For such a relatively sparsely populated country, Ireland is going to have a very extensive motorway network.

Even looking at Ireland's roads from Google Earth is impressive. A lot of the 'N' roads around Dublin look like they're pretty much motorway standard.

I also like Ireland's mixture of European and "new world" signage.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:30 PM   #229
Furet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
I have to say, I love Ireland's new roads. The motorways look amazing, the signage is very clear (better than the UK's signage, IMO). For such a relatively sparsely populated country, Ireland is going to have a very extensive motorway network.

Even looking at Ireland's roads from Google Earth is impressive. A lot of the 'N' roads around Dublin look like they're pretty much motorway standard.

I also like Ireland's mixture of European and "new world" signage.
Thank you. Things are shaping up quite well. The new roads are making an enormous difference in terms of safety as well; fatalities are down by a significant amount.

There are some excellent photos of the M9 (under construction) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/munurty...7617480146039/ as well as here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...372962&page=19
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:41 PM   #230
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

How busy is M50 ?
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:22 PM   #231
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furet View Post
Thank you. Things are shaping up quite well. The new roads are making an enormous difference in terms of safety as well; fatalities are down by a significant amount.

There are some excellent photos of the M9 (under construction) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/munurty...7617480146039/ as well as here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...372962&page=19
Impressive....useful site for info & updates too.

Tell me, have the Irish ever considered switching to driving on the right? I think I'm right in saying that Sweden made the switch back in the 70's....it surely could be done in Ireland too?

Also, what's the widest (most lanes) stretch of motorway in Ireland right now? I read somewhere that parts of the M50 were being widened to 4x4...is that correct?
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:59 PM   #232
ardmacha

Quote:
How busy is M50 ?

Last edited by ardmacha; March 27th, 2010 at 04:45 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:52 AM   #233
Furet

It's also worth posting pictures of some of the new signage for detrunked former primary roads.

Someone did a very nice job re-signing the old N8 between Cullahill and Cashel:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:50 PM   #234
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 27

Unfortunately thats the exception rather than the rule. Most schemes there is absolutely no replacement of signage along the old route.
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:41 PM   #235
Furet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_533976 View Post
Unfortunately thats the exception rather than the rule. Most schemes there is absolutely no replacement of signage along the old route.
Well, there's a local election coming up. I have contacted the councillors of South Tipperary to complain about their tardiness in updating signage on the detrunked routes, and I hope that others (living along the old N6 for instance) will do likewise. I think you'd have to concede, though, that the new signage (when it does go up!) is generally excellent.
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:42 AM   #236
transport21

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
2.How about II Phase of motorway redesignation? When is it going to happen? Does anyone have list of new motorways? Is Athlone bypass included?

I checked all the maps of Ireland available here in UK and none shows redesignated motorways so far. With all this legal changes and also due to fast construction mapmakers can't keep up with all the changes
Hi Geogregor,

Regarding the phase 2 of motorway redesignations, complaints have been received by the NRA so the redesignation wont be announced until the summer. Some farmers, developers and Learner drivers are opposed to the new motorways and want to keep them dual carriageway.
transport21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #237
transport21

N18 Ireland Gort-Crusheen Dual Carriageway/Motorway

Construction Photos of the high quality dual carriageway from Shannon - Gort in midwest Ireland. Construction started December last year.

tubber-gort overbridge

mainline

north of gort

Gort grade seperated junction

Last edited by transport21; May 7th, 2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #238
transport21

recent photos of the soon to be M18!!!

Old May 7th, 2009, 03:36 AM   #239
transport21

Here is the N18 Limerick - Shannon road which gort-crusheen will tie in with at barefield

Last edited by transport21; May 7th, 2009 at 03:55 AM.
Old May 10th, 2009, 04:34 AM   #240
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19255

Any news or, even better, pictures from Newry bypass construction?
I know it is technically in UK but it is important project for Irish motorway network.
So, please.....
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote