daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 10th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #241
rosn19
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furet View Post
A few photos. Still very much on track for opening on 25 May.

The new overbridge concrete barrier style - no bulge on the carriageway to accomodate the bridge supports:
image hosted on flickr

Three kilometres south of junction 13:
image hosted on flickr

Same position, looking north:
image hosted on flickr

About 2.5 km south of junction 13:
image hosted on flickr

Same position, looking south:
image hosted on flickr

ADS:
image hosted on flickr

More ADS:
image hosted on flickr

The wearing course:
image hosted on flickr
Ireland has such beautiful natural landscapes. The Irish scenery reminds me a-lot of the highlands of central Mexico; and the way motorways are built in Ireland, I've noticed most lack a large space in the middle, in Mexico most motorways are built like that because of the topography. You guys have very nice roads. Also, I suppose by looking at those signs that BAILE in Irish Gaelic means CITY, in Spanish BAILE means A DANCE! Do most folks in Ireland speak English or Irish Gaelic? What's the speed limit on your motorways? Here in Mexico most motorway speed limits are of 110km/hr to 120km/hr with a +10 km/hr tolerance. Do you guys use kilometres or miles in the republic of Ireland? Does the U.K. us KMs or Ms?

Last edited by rosn19; May 10th, 2009 at 06:50 AM.
rosn19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #242
transport21

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosn19 View Post
You guys have very nice roads.
Cheers were seeing some good progress made now on our major routes with less time on the road with the new motorways.

Quote:
Also, I suppose by looking at those signs that BAILE in Irish Gaelic means CITY, in Spanish BAILE means A DANCE!
Yep baile means a city!

Quote:
Do most folks speak English or Irish Gaelic?
Generally the whole population is able to speak english but some rural areas in the Gaeltacht prefer to speak Irish

Quote:
What's the speed limit on your motorways? Here in Mexico most motorway speed limits are of 110km/hr to 120km/hr with a +10 km/hr tolerance
Speed limit on motorways are 120km/hr. Dual Carriageways(Expressways) 100km/hr

Quote:
Do you guys use kilometres or miles in the republic of Ireland? Does the U.K. us KMs or Ms?
We switched from miles to kms a few years ago. The U.K uses miles. It can be quite annoying when crossing the border in the north to change to miles.
transport21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #243
transport21

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Any news or, even better, pictures from Newry bypass construction?
I know it is technically in UK but it is important project for Irish motorway network.
So, please.....
The most important construction at the moment IMO is the M8/M7 link scheme. 30km of M8 mainline and linking up to the M7 with under 10km of M7. Anyway I have a link for the Newry bypass page. It has pictures of construction at the bottom of this page and also says what progress has been made:

http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/...cloghogue.html
Old May 10th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #244
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19255

Quote:
Originally Posted by transport21 View Post
The most important construction at the moment IMO is the M8/M7 link scheme. 30km of M8 mainline and linking up to the M7 with under 10km of M7. Anyway I have a link for the Newry bypass page. It has pictures of construction at the bottom of this page and also says what progress has been made:

http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads/...cloghogue.html
Thanks, I've seen this website.
I hoped more for pictures from someone driving or living there.

I agree that M7/M8 is crucial for the whole Irish Motorway System.
But fast and safe link to Belfast is also important. Then you could drive from Belfast all the way to Cork in speed and safely.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #245
Furet

Likes (Received): 1

geogregor, what do you think of the LOR or (DOOR) proposal?

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases...,16141,en.html
Furet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #246
transport21

N7(M7) Limerick ring road

Phase 1- completed

Phase 2 - under construction due completed 2010

Last edited by transport21; May 11th, 2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #247
rosn19
BANNED

what i like most from those pics is the scenery! i'm sure it looks very beautiful all covered with snow during the winter months. Oh and what you said (transport21) about the kilometres in ireland and miles in the UK, im sure its very anoying! here, when we visit the US our cars only have kilometres in the speed metres, and the speed limits in their highways are in miles. but im sure overthere is even weirder if you're from Ireland or the UK and decide to visit mainland europe or viseversa. it must feel very odd when you guys have your steering wheel on the left side of the car and everybody else has it on the right side of the car. why is it like that anyway?

Last edited by rosn19; May 11th, 2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:47 AM   #248
transport21

Quote:
what i like most from those pics is the scenery! i'm sure it looks very beautiful all covered with snow during the winter months. Oh and what you said (transport21) about the kilometres in ireland and miles in the UK, im sure its very anoying! here, when we visit the US our cars only have kilometres in the speed metres, and the speed limits in their highways are in miles. but im sure overthere is even weirder if you're from Ireland or the UK and decide to visit mainland europe or viseversa.
The scenery is very good but even some motorways like the M1 and M9 have very few photos posted here and there stunning. Actually we rarely see any snow here even in the winter. Yeah I have only kilometers on my speedometer also and I just tend to do the Irish speed limits.

Quote:
it must feel very odd when you guys have your steering wheel on the left side of the car and everybody else has it on the right side of the car. why is it like that anyway?
A good question but I wouldnt be sure on the answer. Some of the other guys on this forum and boards.ie would have a better knowledge of this and may be able to answer that question.
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #249
sotonsi

Napoleon changed from the Roman thing of driving on the left, and places like the US flipped over just to annoy the UK.

Only kidding - something about long distance stagecoaches and whipping. As the UK is an island, we didn't need these bigger coaches to travel 1000s of miles, so had no reason to change, nor any reason to change since, given that there is no land borders with anyone except RoI (who I'm surprised didn't change, after all, they seem to love making the road network different to the UKs - different lines, semi-new world signage (rather than european), km rather than miles).

Cost of conversion to right hand driving for the UK would be in the hundreds of billions (and rather a lot for Ireland, especially annoying as most of the roads that would have to change the geometry of are less than 10 years old) - so not worth it (changing the UK roads to metric signage would be pushing £50 billion, or take about 30 years and still cost a shedload to deal with speed limits)

Note that Japan and Indonesia, as well as various former UK colonies also drive on the left. These are big countries, that we didn't colonise, that do it 'UK style'.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:04 AM   #250
rosn19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Napoleon changed from the Roman thing of driving on the left, and places like the US flipped over just to annoy the UK.

Only kidding - something about long distance stagecoaches and whipping. As the UK is an island, we didn't need these bigger coaches to travel 1000s of miles, so had no reason to change, nor any reason to change since, given that there is no land borders with anyone except RoI (who I'm surprised didn't change, after all, they seem to love making the road network different to the UKs - different lines, semi-new world signage (rather than european), km rather than miles).

Cost of conversion to right hand driving for the UK would be in the hundreds of billions (and rather a lot for Ireland, especially annoying as most of the roads that would have to change the geometry of are less than 10 years old) - so not worth it (changing the UK roads to metric signage would be pushing £50 billion, or take about 30 years and still cost a shedload to deal with speed limits)

Note that Japan and Indonesia, as well as various former UK colonies also drive on the left. These are big countries, that we didn't colonise, that do it 'UK style'.
Thanks for your extensive answer! I'd love to visit Ireland one day, and ride one of your cars but on the front passenger side it would feel so weird to sit on the seat where I would normaly find the steering wheel.
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #251
rosn19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by transport21 View Post
The scenery is very good but even some motorways like the M1 and M9 have very few photos posted here and there stunning. Actually we rarely see any snow here even in the winter. Yeah I have only kilometers on my speedometer also and I just tend to do the Irish speed limits.

A good question but I wouldnt be sure on the answer. Some of the other guys on this forum and boards.ie would have a better knowledge of this and may be able to answer that question.
Hardly any snow? wow! by judging your high lattitude I thought you guys had snow for 9 months out of the year Here in my town in northern Mexico, we are at about 30.7N and we get around 1 to 3 crappy snowfalls winter.
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #252
transport21

Quote:
Thanks for your extensive answer! I'd love to visit Ireland one day, and ride one of your cars but on the front passenger side it would feel so weird to sit on the seat where I would normaly find the steering wheel.
Its a better option than the awful public transport we have.

No what we have in buckets is rain. Not much sun and hardly ever snow. Thats our climate basically!! Were on a good patch of sun lately but that will change very soon!
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:01 AM   #253
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furet View Post
geogregor, what do you think of the LOR or (DOOR) proposal?

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases...,16141,en.html
Interesting project but kind of futuristic in current economic climate.
Maybe in 10-20 years we will see some progress.

Few points, I have:

Why is it so far from M50? They write about preventing sprawl. But sprawl is there already. Radial links to Dublin fuel sprawl, not orbital links.

It brings the next question. Is it going to be mainly for transit purposes or for local journeys? If it is for local journeys it indicates more sprawl just further from Dublin.

So if we agree that it will increase sprawl why move this sprawl far to the countryside. Keep sprawl close to Dublin.
IMO it should be closer to Dublin.

And I would like to see first, how M50 works after finishing all current improvements. Maybe improving some secondary and local roads will be then enough and full blown extra motorway won't be needed.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #254
ardmacha

This post deleted in protest against politically biased moderation.

Keep politics out of the roads forum.

Last edited by ardmacha; March 27th, 2010 at 04:46 AM.
ardmacha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #255
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardmacha View Post
The issue is not the latitude, but the elevation.
No - it's the closeness to the sea and the North Atlantic Drift as well as the elevation. The NAD is the biggest effect - look at the Baltic states as an example - low-lying, near sea, roughly the same latitude, but snowy in winter.

You did mention the sea though - that's important - sea warms and cools slower than land, so in the depths of winter it's still cooling from the summer, and when it's at it's coldest it's March. This makes February the cold month.

Elevation is important too - think top of Kilimanjaro, on the equator, with snow all year (and very very cold temperatures).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #256
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

What sets the region apart though is mainly the NAD alone.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #257
ardmacha

Old May 12th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #258
transport21

Derry airport link dual carriageway to be ready in 18 months

Quote:
A dual carriageway between Derry and City of Derry Airport should be completed in 18 months, it was announced today.

Roads Minister Conor Murphy made the announcement as he awarded the £24m (€26.8m) contract for the 6.6km of road to the Belfast headquartered company Lagan Construction.

The work is expected to begin before the end of the month.

Mr Murphy said: “In the current economic climate the commencement of this construction contract will be welcome news, as it will now allow workers to begin construction on this road and will no doubt contribute towards the continued economic development of the north west.”

The minister said it was an important step for the area that the upgrade of the A2 road from Derry to Belfast via Coleraine was being undertaken.

“The provision of a new all-purpose dual carriageway will help ease congestion, resulting in a safer, faster and more attractive route for traffic on the A2.”
http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/d...hs-410494.html
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #259
ardmacha

Old May 13th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #260
transport21

very nice piece of engineering!

To continue on the road quest of Ireland I have a few photos of the N18 Sixmilebridge-Limerick dual carriageway. This road was constucted in the 80's so it is well underspec for a motorway with some bad junctions. The adjoining dual carriageway goes to outside Crusheen and most of that section is up for motorway redesignation. From the earlier pics, the end of the dual carrriageway will be short lived as Crusheen-Gort construction is well underway.