daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:13 AM   #41
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Very nice pictures. Those National roads in Ireland look very wide designed.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:29 PM   #42
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_533976 View Post
While I think of it.

One of the biggest fights in Ireland thesedays is speed limits.

Motorways are 120kmh.
High Quality Dual Carriageways (Motorways in everything but name, legal issues and to please farmers) 100kmh.
Standard Dual Carriageways 100kmh

Roads Bill 2007 allows direct reclassification of HQDC to motorway, but none have been done yet.

Other general speed limits, 80, 60kmh.

However, with the S2 100kmh national roads, the roads authority took a direct decision to mark most/all of the small roads that come off it as 80kmh. So you end up with tiny boreens with ludicrous speed limits.

One example I saw was up in Galway, where an 80kmh speed limit existed on a road that was barely wide enough for a car and ended 200m after the sign.

This tongue in cheek article sums it up.

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com...rticle&sid=634

There are HUNDREDS of examples of this farce in Ireland, and there are always big forum fights about "Drive to the conditions, not the limits" vs "The limit should reflect road conditions, it should not be a target"

Here we have te exact oppsitre problem dual carrigeway's with hardsholders with a 50 kmh speed limit.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #43
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 27

A new section of the N8 (main road between Cork and Dublin, second and first cities) has opened. Currently large sections of this route are still single carriageway windy road with no hard shoulders but will be fully motorway or HQDC (motorway in all but name and speed limit) by the end of 2010.

New section open is the first half of the Mitchelstown to Cashel scheme. The 10 mile section from Cashel to Cahir has been opened, with the Cahir to Mitchelstown section due in a few months.

Quite impressive for a project that wasnt scheduled to be complete until 2009.

Heres a link to a page with a map of the scheme. All current and future schemes are on this website, take a look.

http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity...,10687,en.html
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #44
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Good news. Will there ever be a motorway between Cork and Limerick, btw?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #45
Chris_533976

Three schemes are in planning.

From the Cork direction -

Cork - Blarney (all of 2 miles) is dual already.

Blarney - Mallow -> http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity...,10712,en.html

Mallow - Croom ->
http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity...,10630,en.html

Croom - Patrickswell ->
(already WS2 to be made into DC)
http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity...,10643,en.html

Patrickswell - Limerick is already DC.

Mallow - Croom is in a horrific state with dreadful curves, narrow roads, no hard shoulder and little overtaking opportunities. The NRA are trying to push this section, but the Government are heel-dragging until the politically better Interurbans (Dublin to Belfast, Limerick, Cork and Waterford) are done in 2010. The plan is at the moment to have this section done by 2015 along with a host of other stuff, no idea yet how accurate that'll be.

We're all assuming that Cork - Limerick will be HQDC/Motorway, but I've been a bit worried that they might make it the new 2+2 - dual carriageway with no hard shoulder and median crossings (no GSJs). They are going to use that for schemes that were to be new-build 2+1s. No idea yet if they'll do that to the Cork-Limerick section, hopefully not!
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #46
Wallaroo

Likes (Received): 1

Irish motorways, or lack thereof

Ireland only had around 30 kilometers worth of motorways last time I looked at a road map.

I wonder if they are planning some new motorway projects, or if they wanna continue being a third world country in that regard?

Wallaroo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #47
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

There is already an Irish thread.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #48
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

And, judging by these pics, there's nowhere near enough traffic to warrant more motorways.

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #49
Chris_533976

Theres a massive motorway building project in Ireland at the moment. The Interurban routes from Dublin to Cork, Waterford, Galway and Limerick (N 8/9/6/7 ) are being upgraded to motorway standard by 2010. A lot of these routes have AADTs of only about 10k on their middle sections, but are being done as motorway just for safety reasons, future proofing and because of bottlenecked villages en-route causing 30-40 mins delay in some cases.

Dual Carriageways are being put on other routes too, for example N 11/18/20. You need this when the main routes between big cities are like this -

If you want a good site with all Irish road projects look here -

http://www.nra.ie/mapping/index.jsp

Yeah this should be merged with the Irish thread
Old October 25th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #50
ardmacha

Quote:
Ireland only had around 30 kilometers worth of motorways last time I looked at a road map
Perhaps time to acquire a new map! The pictures of the M1 above are 80km from its start in Dublin, to say nothing of the other routes. More than 30Km opens each year.

Moderators perhaps merge this with the existing Irish thread.
ardmacha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #51
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardmacha View Post
Moderators perhaps merge this with the existing Irish thread.
When we get new ones.
Old November 5th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #52
Chris_533976

New section of the N2 has opened, bypassing Castleblayney.

Not a DC, but still another piece of antiquated road replaced

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1105/roads.html

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhmhojkfsnau/
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #53
Verso
Islander

^ These 16 km are expected to reduce travel time by 40 minutes? What kind of a road was there before?
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #54
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Looking on Chris_533976 pictures it's hard to believe that Ireland is one of the richest countries in Europe.
I used to complain about roads in Poland and other eastern european countries but I wont anymore
Some of the pictures of narrow roads with trucks really rise hair on my neck.
Such narrow roads in Poland or Czech Republic are only verry local villige roads.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #55
Chris_533976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
^ These 16 km are expected to reduce travel time by 40 minutes? What kind of a road was there before?
The old road was probably very narrow and ploughed through the center of the villages, I've never been down it myself. Its a common thing in Ireland for a short enough bypass to give a seemingly disproportionate journey timesaving, but even with an AADT of ~10k per day, lots of bottlenecked villages give ridiculous tailbacks of several kilometers.

Gorey on the N11 was also bypassed recently, but because it never had a bypass before, traffic had to go through the middle of it. Frequently you'd be 30 minutes getting through at rush hour, with delays of an hour being fairly common too.
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #56
Chris_533976

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Looking on Chris_533976 pictures it's hard to believe that Ireland is one of the richest countries in Europe.
I used to complain about roads in Poland and other eastern european countries but I wont anymore
Such narrow roads in Poland or Czech Republic are only verry local villige roads.
There are some parts of those roads that are genuinly scary to drive, you get two lorries coming in opposite directions and it is a bit hair raising! Its an example of the government delaying matters and the fact that the country got rich very quickly.

The roads that are being built at the moment, Dublin to Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford, were originally supposed to be complete in 1999, then delayed to 2006, then to 2010. Various reasons for this, but a lot of the blame was given to the government.

The scary thing is that the pics above that I posted of the N18 and N20. Those roads (especially the N20) are going to be like that until at least 2010, if not 2012 or 2013. They're low on the priority list for political reasons.
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #57
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20252

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
That's because Ireland got rich by slashing taxes, that means there wasn't much money available in the short term for infrastructure building to keep up with the economic boom. It is slowly getting better though as infrastructure becomes more of a priority.

You have to remember though that when a poor country becomes 'rich' in a short period of time, it can still look 'poor' in many places for a long time because the housing, transport, cities etc are a product of several decades or longer and for most of that time Ireland was relatively poor.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #58
ardmacha

Quote:
These 16 km are expected to reduce travel time by 40 minutes? What kind of a road was there before?
This post deleted in protest against politically biased moderation.

Keep politics out of the roads forum.

Last edited by ardmacha; March 27th, 2010 at 04:30 AM.
ardmacha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #59
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_533976 View Post
There are some parts of those roads that are genuinly scary to drive, you get two lorries coming in opposite directions and it is a bit hair raising! Its an example of the government delaying matters and the fact that the country got rich very quickly.

The roads that are being built at the moment, Dublin to Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford, were originally supposed to be complete in 1999, then delayed to 2006, then to 2010. Various reasons for this, but a lot of the blame was given to the government.

The scary thing is that the pics above that I posted of the N18 and N20. Those roads (especially the N20) are going to be like that until at least 2010, if not 2012 or 2013. They're low on the priority list for political reasons.
How is Ireland scoring in safety statistics?
Anyone have any data comparing accidents deaths on roads with other eruopean countries?
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:10 PM   #60
Chris_533976

One of the problems in Ireland is that the new roads being built connecting Dublin with Cork/Limerick/Waterford/Galway ( N8,7,9,6 respectively) are being built as "High Quality Dual Carriagway", which is motorway in design quality, but with a 100kmh speedlimit and no restrictions. As far as I know it was planned like this because farmers complained that they couldn't take their tractors on motorways.

Therefore, about 6 months ago, the Roads Bill 2008 was published which gave powers to declare a national road a motorway - ie: turn these HQDCs into motorways giving them new signage and 120kmh speedlimits. Finally, documents have been published giving the first schemes to be changed. Now not all these are built yet, but all will be in construction (at least) this year.

Heres the bumpf -

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp...g=ENG&loc=2270

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/10193-0.pdf
http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/10193-1.pdf
http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/10193-2.pdf
http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/10193-3.pdf

This has only been published in the last few days, so its yet to see the backlash from learner drivers, farmers, cyclists, horse & carriage owners etc.