daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #641
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Awesome roads.
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2010, 12:22 AM   #642
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 850

Courtesy of YouTube (not mine!) -

Dublin to Cork (M7/M8):

Galway to Dublin (M6/M4, also includes a bit of the M50 Dublin ringroad):

Both are available in HD.
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #643
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

Quote:
M50's €1bn upgrade to be completed by next month

Thursday August 12 2010

THE four-year €1bn upgrade of Dublin's M50 will be finished next month, road bosses promised yesterday.

Once the country's most notorious traffic jam, with 16km tailbacks not uncommon, the National Roads Authority (NRA) will announce the completion of the massive upgrading project in the coming weeks.

Gone are the hated toll booths and the Mad Cow Roundabout, both replaced with barrier-free tolling and free-flow interchanges.

Junctions

Four lanes of motorway now run on each carriageway along the 31km route, and 10 junctions have been replaced.

The massive upgrading project is now in its final stages, the NRA said yesterday, with most of the mainline carriageway now fully complete.

This year has seen upgrading of five interchanges -- at Ballymun, Ashbourne/Finglas, M3 Blanchardstown, N81 Tallaght and Scholarstown/Firhouse -- with the final piece of the jigsaw, the M3, to be finished at the end of the month.

NRA spokesman Sean O'Neill has previously referred to the upgrading works as being like "doing open heart surgery on someone going to work". This was because the motorway was rebuilt underneath the wheels of 100,000 cars using the motorway every day, while all the time keeping traffic moving.

"The M50 was the Achilles' heel of the network; if there was a problem people felt it everywhere," he said.

"The final section of the M50 will be finished at the end of the month. We are approaching the finish line, believe it or not. Hopefully we will have a definitive date at the end of the month."

The M50 Dublin bypass was first proposed in the 1970s but not until 1990 -- when the private sector built the bridge over the Liffey Valley and introduced a tolling system -- was it complete. A plan to make all interchanges freeflow was rejected because of the high cost, put at €63m.

However, just 15 years later, the road was in trouble. There wasn't enough capacity and the junctions were overloaded, meaning motorists had to queue to get on to the road and the toll plaza was forcing motorists to wait up to an hour for the privilege of paying the toll.

The upgrading project was approved by An Bord Pleanala in 2005, and it included the introduction of a barrier-free tolling system, which generates €80m a year in fees.

The AA welcomed the news yesterday.

"It is a magnificent piece of infrastructure and the city badly needed it," spokesman Conor Faughnan said.

Revitalised

"Just a few years ago traffic congestion was strangling the city, particularly on the south side. With the recession traffic volumes have dropped a bit, but the revitalised M50 has made a big difference.

"The only blot is the AA's ongoing complaint that the tolling devalues the M50. We were of the view at the time that rather than install a barrier-free system, they should have allowed it to become a toll-free system.

"It raises €80m but costs €20m to run. The presence of the toll does deter traffic from using it. That's particularly the case for people commuting on it. It could be €10 a week in tolls, and they're still turning up in places like Blanchardstown and the Phoenix Park to avoid it," Mr Faughnan added.

- Paul Melia

Irish Independent
Independent.ie

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #644
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

That's great news. I'm hoping to get back to Ireland next year to visit family; it will be interesting to take a look at this and a few of the other schemes that have been opened in the last few years. I bet I won't recognise the place!
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #645
odlum833

These pics taken by JBK on boards of new M9 section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBK
M9 heading north just before Junction 8 - Kilkenny
image hosted on flickr

M9 heading south just after Junction 8 - Kilkenny
image hosted on flickr

M9 Heading south at Nore river bridge
image hosted on flickr

M9 Nore river bridge
image hosted on flickr

N10 Kilkenny to M9 link road taken from farmer over bridge. M9 runs from left (Dublin) to right (Waterford) in foreground
image hosted on flickr

Old August 30th, 2010, 02:52 AM   #646
csd

Likes (Received): 49

Approaching Dublin from the west (M4 & M6)

Folks,

Here's a series of photos of the M6 and M4, from near Rochfortbridge in Co Offaly to just outside the city centre.

1. Between Rochfortbridge and Kinnegad, the M6 through a peat bog. This peat is cultivated and used in power stations and for domestic heating.

2. Newer motorways have these low-specification parking areas along the mainline. They seem quite dangerous to me, but since the National Roads Authority has been slow to provide proper service areas, I guess they're better than nothing.

3. Nice weather today.

4. Motorway junctions are signed 2km, 1km, and 500m in advance, as well as at the exit itself. We're approaching Kinnegad and the M4 here.

5. Located between the 1km and 500m advance signs, this one shows info on the towns bypassed by the approaching tolled M4.

6. Junctions are signed like this or using overhead signs.

7. This is at the M4/M6 split: the M4 is carried over the M6 on this bridge.

8. The M6 has priority through the junction eastbound; here we see the M4 merging on the left.

9. Won't be long till we're in Dublin city!

10. SOS phone.

11. Three motorway service areas are currently under construction on behalf of the NRA, two on the M1 and this one near Enfield on the M4, which is due to open in October.

12. Fuel prices will be displayed using this sign.

13. The exit sliproad to the service area is still under construction.

14. Taken from a nearby overbridge, here's a view of the service area, currently under construction.

15. Shortly after the MSA, the junction for Enfield approaches.

16. Enfield junction. Notice the toll booths on the exit ramp. Since we haven't gone through the mainline toll plaza at this point, the exit here has its own toll collection facilities.

17. Route confirmation and distance sign at Enfield.

18. Approaching the mainline toll plaza.

19. At €2.90 for a car, the Kilcock - Kinnegad section of the M4 is the most expensive section of tolled motorway in the country (apart from the M50 Dublin port tunnel).

20. Express lane for tag holders on the right.

21. East of the toll plaza, approaching the end of the tolled section which runs from Enfield to Kilcock.

22. 500m advance sign for the Kilcock exit.

23. We're now on the Maynooth bypass, the earliest section of the M4 to open.

24. The verge planting is well established on this section, which is 16 years old.

25. Maynooth exit.

26. Traffic gets heavier as we approach Dublin city.

27. Leixlip is host to a huge Intel factory, which paid for this exit off the M4.

28. Only 20km from the city centre now.

29. End of motorway in 2km. The road continues as the N4 after this.

30. Leixlip east was the only exit for this town until Intel paid for junction 6 to be built.

31. End of motorway is right here under the bridge for J5, but where have the End of Motorway signs gone? Speed limit drops to 80 km/h here too, and the road continues as the N4.

32. We gain two lanes here, a bus lane and a general traffic lane. The direction signage changes from blue to green to signify we're now on a national route that does not have motorway restrictions.

33. Overhead gantries.

34. No hard shoulder here -- we get a bus lane instead.

35. This section was upgraded last year from 2x2 to 2x3 lanes.

36. Eastern Lucan exit.

37. Approaching Liffey Valley, a huge shopping mall.

38. Exit 1 is for the M50, Dublin's bypass and the busiest road in the country.

39. The interchange with the M50 was upgraded to be fully free-flowing as part of the recent upgrade works. Previously there was a signal controlled roundabout on the N4, which led to heavy congestion.

40. Not a good place for a bus stop!

41. We're heading for the city centre, so middle lanes for us!

42. Just before we pass over the M50, the M50 northbound to N4 eastbound ramp merges on the right.

43. This bridge was part of the original roundabout junction, and was incorporated into the new interchange design.

44. We're east of the M50 now, and the M50 southbound to N4 eastbound slip road merges in from the left.

45. This section of about 1 km has traffic lights and a 60 km/h limit.

46. Approaching Chapelizod now.

47. Chapelizod bypass, where the limit increases to 80 km/h. This section has a bus lane (hence the solid white line on the left), and because it's the main approach to the city from the west, can see 2 km long tailbacks in morning rush hour or when events are being staged in the city.

48. End of the Chapelizod bypass, at Ballyfermot. Back down to 60 km/h and more traffic lights.

49. Speed limit is 50 km/h now, and lots more traffic lights await us. The main Dublin - Cork railway line is behind the wall on the right.

50. End of our trip, at the junction with the south circular road.
csd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:39 AM   #647
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 850

Brilliant photographs, csd. Thanks!
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #648
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19163

Great photos. Would be nice if we could get such detailed photo-trips for other Irish motorways.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #649
CairnsTony

Wonderful stuff. I was right when I said before I wouldn't recognise the place!
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #650
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Likes (Received): 16

Superb, especially the original section of M4 which is looking nice now with the trees and hedges alongside. It will be nice when most of the network is looking in the same sort of way, making journeys more pleasant than they often are now, with some of the newer schemes simply leaving huge banks of earth either side of the motorway with little consideration for landscaping.

Also good to see how the improvements have affected the N4 on the approach to the M50, the network around Dublin now must be pretty much sorted, I keep meaning to go over to that area myself and check it out, the only time I'm over in Ireland is down in the south west around Limerick and Cork...

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!

The rest of my Flickr photos - motorsport, roads and more!
Map Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #651
nordisk celt83

Likes (Received): 57

Great photos csd, thanks for sharing them!!!
nordisk celt83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #652
nordisk celt83

Mapguy

From what I can gather the motorway ringroad around Dublin including the motorways (M1/M2/M3/M4/M/N7 and M11 *they don't all seem to be mapped above*) flowing into it are functioning rather well. (with the exception of the M7, which increases to a 6-8 lane non-motoroway status N7 on approach to Dublin with traffic lights at its end near the m50)

You're right about landscaping too. It's one of the reasons why I dislike the above motorway above all others.
Although, landscaping in general is disgraceful on some of the newer sections of Irish motorways, with little evidence that they are trying to resolve this problem. Many say it's a waste of money, but fail to see that it gives off a negative impression of the country to be both tourists and prospective investors alike. So, in trying to save a few cents now, in the long-term it could have negative repercussions for Irish tourism and the economy as a whole.

Also, the south-west of the country is a good choice!!! Not the cities mind you, but some great spots down there nonetheless...
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #653
nordisk celt83

And oh, besides poor landscaping is grim for the driver!!!
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #654
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordisk celt83 View Post
You're right about landscaping too. It's one of the reasons why I dislike the above motorway above all others.
Although, landscaping in general is disgraceful on some of the newer sections of Irish motorways, with little evidence that they are trying to resolve this problem. Many say it's a waste of money, but fail to see that it gives off a negative impression of the country to be both tourists and prospective investors alike. So, in trying to save a few cents now, in the long-term it could have negative repercussions for Irish tourism and the economy as a whole.
I agree, there's nothing worse than driving for hours on plain, uninspiring motorways, surrounded by banks of mud. Whilst many of the motorways in Ireland pass through some stunning scenery (see the M8 through the Galtee Mts) there are others like the M6 further north that pass through the comparitively flat Midlands and with no landscaping it gives the impression the project has been a bit of a half-finished job which is a shame. Over time though even without the landscaping work things will improve. I imagine most of the banks/cuttings will have grass on them next year at least, just need to let nature get on with its work!

Quote:
Also, the south-west of the country is a good choice!!! Not the cities mind you, but some great spots down there nonetheless...
Yeah got some relatives down there, though I haven't been down since this time last year which is annoying, especially with all the new stretches of motorway opening this year. Beautiful scenery, and it also gave me a chance to have a look at the N22 and N25 around the south and east of Cork. I remember there being talk of the N22 being reclassified as a motorway past Ballincollig, it's definately up to standard, though the following stretch of N25 could probably do with some work, and the junction with the M8/N8 after the Jack Lynch tunnel needs sorting in a similar way to the junctions on the M50 before any upgrade is considered. I suppose if they end up doing the northern and western section once the M20 is (eventually) done then an upgrade to motorway must surely be the right way to go.

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!

Old August 31st, 2010, 12:29 PM   #655
odlum833

Quote:

Mapguy

From what I can gather the motorway ringroad around Dublin including the motorways (M1/M2/M3/M4/M/N7 and M11

Here is a more up to date map

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53...oom=9&layers=M

Last edited by odlum833; August 31st, 2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:05 PM   #656
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Thanks Odlum, that looks superb, I guess the map publishers are having a hard time keeping up with all the new sections opening all the time!

One question I do have, and that is about the M20. What's the latest news on that one? Looking at the map, it's the last real link left to be done and having seen some of the sections of the N20, it's definately needed as soon as possible.

Old September 1st, 2010, 08:09 PM   #657
odlum833

Yes Mapguy - I have not been able to buy an up to date map of Ireland for 10 years!

Big news today for the Dublin Ring Motorway

Quote:
TRANSFORMATION OF THE M50 MOTORWAY COMPLETED WITHIN BUDGET AND FOUR MONTHS AHEAD OF SCHEDULE - FINAL SECTION OPENS TODAY, WEDNESDAY 1ST SEPTEMBER

The Minister for Transport, Mr. Noel Dempsey, T.D., will today open the completed 32km M50 Upgrade Scheme that has transformed the M50 from a two-lane heavily congested road with toll barriers and signaled interchanges into a modern free-flowing motorway that has reduced journey times by up to 50%. The upgraded M50 has resulted in shorter, more reliable and safer journeys that improve commuters' quality of life, increase efficiency for businesses and help Dublin to be more competitive in order to attract more foreign inward investment. The one billion euro project was carried out over four and a half years, in the midst of 100,000 moving vehicles per day and was completed four months ahead of schedule. The final section of the upgraded M50 Motorway, the new and improved Junction 6 (N3 Blanchardstown Interchange), will open to traffic at 5.30pm this evening, Wednesday 1st September.

"This upgrade scheme will future proof the M50 by helping to reduce traffic congestion and providing very significant time savings for hard pressed motorists," said Mr. Noel Dempsey, T.D., Minister for Transport. "I particularly thank the regular M50 motorists for their patience during the construction phase of this project. It was not easy for anyone as this huge engineering project got underway and I think you will agree that the upgrade has made a real difference and was worth the wait. This investment and the billions more that we are spending on the provision of world class transport infrastructure is helping to boost our national competitiveness. This Government will continue to invest in transport because we are committed to having the proper infrastructure in place to make the most of our economic recovery."

"The transformation of the M50 has dramatically improved the daily commuting experience for every road user in and around Greater Dublin. The M50 Upgrade has proven its value to the entire national network by fulfilling its role as the key motorway hub linking Greater Dublin with the major Interurban Network, benefitting all strategic traffic from wherever they are travelling. It truly is the backbone of our national roads network," said Mr. Peter Malone, Chairman, National Roads Authority. "I congratulate all those who contributed to the planning, design and construction of the M50 Upgrade; it was a highly challenging project that is in an engineering and construction triumph. The entire M50 project could not have been accomplished if it were not for the patience and support of the general public and the dedication of all national and local governmental organisations, including South Dublin County Council, Fingal County Council, Dublin City Council, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, the National Roads Authority, the Department of Transport and the Minister for Transport, Noel Dempsey, TD."

"The M50 Motorway is now amongst the highest quality modern road infrastructure in Europe and we in M50 Concession Ltd are very proud to have helped deliver such an important venture that enhances Ireland's economic and social development and improves the quality of life for road users," said Mr. Javier Galera, General Manager, M50 Concession Ltd.

The M50 Upgrade Scheme comprises:-

Widening of 32km of motorway from two to three-lane standard in each direction between Junction 3 (M1) and Junction 14 (Sandyford)

An additional fourth auxiliary lane in each direction between Junction 3 (M1) and Junction 12 (Scholarstown)

Full free-flow interchange at four junctions Jct 3 (M1), Jct 5 (N2 Ashbourne/Finglas), Jct 7 (N4 Palmerstown), Jct 9 (N7 Red Cow)

Partial free-flow interchange at six other junctions Jct 4 (Ballymun), Jct 6 (N3 Blanchardstown), Jct 10 (Ballymount), Jct 11 (N81 Tallaght), Jct 12 (Scholarstown), Jct 14 (Sandyford)

Removal of the West-Link toll plaza to provide barrier free tolling

Establishing a segregated corridor for Luas at Jct 9 (N7 Red Cow), thus removing the need for traffic and trams to cross each other.

The removal of the West-Link Toll Plaza and its replacement with a fully electronic barrier-free tolling system was a crucial element of the strategy for easing congestion on Ireland's busiest roadway allowing drivers to travel unencumbered at the legal speed limit along the M50. As we reach the second anniversary of the commencement of barrier-free tolling, traffic volumes on the toll section are approaching an average of 100,000 vehicles per day, equating to2.9 million transactions being processed per month.

Since the commencementof e-flow over 3 million individual vehicles have used the system. Almost 75% of trips on the toll section of the M50 are by motorists who have opened a toll account with 60% of customers having an electronic tag account and 15% availing of the video account option. The account option allowsmotorists to avail of lower toll rates than available for motorists who choose not to have an account. The revenue raised through e-flow tolling is being used to fund the M50 motorway upgrade costs along with the future operation and maintenance costs of the road.

The M50 Upgrade Scheme was funded by the Irish Government under the National Development Plan and Transport 21 and was delivered through the National Roads Authority's PPP mechanism.

The NRA appointed M50 Construction Ltd as the PPP partner to deliver Contract 2, to upgrade 24km of motorway between Jct 3 and Jct 6 and between Jct 10 and Jct 14, and operating and maintaining the full M50 Motorway from Jct 3 to Jct 17 for 35 years, until 2042. M50 Concession Ltd is a Joint Venture that comprises of Spanish Infrastructure Developers Global Via Infraestructuras S.A. (GVI) and Sacyr Concessions Ltd. and Irish firm PJ Hegarty & Sons Ltd.

Contract 1, the upgrading of the 8km section between Jct 7 (N4 Palmerstown) and Jct 10 (Ballymount) was carried out by SIAC Ferrovial M50 Joint Venture, comprising Irish firm SIAC and Spanish firm Ferrovial Agroman S.A. This section of the M50 Upgrade Scheme included the transformation of Junction 9, the infamous Red Cow Interchange, to a free flowing interchange with a segregated corridor for LUAS. Contract 3, the removal of the West-Link Toll Plaza and widening of the motorway between Jct 6 and Jct 7, was delivered by Jons Civil Engineering Ltd.

I wil see if I can get some new images of the junctions.....somewhere!

The M20 is still in the planning process. A decision won't be made till early next year at the earliest.

Old September 1st, 2010, 09:17 PM   #658
sotonsi

The 4th edition of the AA map decided to aim to the future and is up-to-date for the next few months. IIRC, OSI and Collins have done something similar too.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:31 PM   #659
CairnsTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
The M20 is still in the planning process. A decision won't be made till early next year at the earliest.
Is that the planned motorway between Limerick and Cork?
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:13 PM   #660
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
Is that the planned motorway between Limerick and Cork?
Yes it is. There is a map here

http://www.corkrdo.ie/files/M20BacksmlFINAL.pdf