daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 04:15 PM   #661
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2181

This was the final junction to be upgraded on the M50 - it opened a couple of days ago. A bizarre layout.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53...382065&zoom=17

It connects the M50 with the N3/M3 National route.

It has triple levels with a railway and canal in the center and a Fitness center in the middle!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596

Last edited by odlum833; September 3rd, 2010 at 04:36 PM.
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2010, 05:44 PM   #662
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Likes (Received): 16

That is bizarre, but with all the new freeflow junctions on the M50, they've done a bloody good job in shoe-horning them into the land space available which like this M50-N3 junction is barely anything at all. Great piece of engineering!

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!

The rest of my Flickr photos - motorsport, roads and more!
Map Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 11:38 PM   #663
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

It shows there Navan road as being half the N3?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #664
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
This was the final junction to be upgraded on the M50 - it opened a couple of days ago. A bizarre layout.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53...382065&zoom=17

It connects the M50 with the N3/M3 National route.

It has triple levels with a railway and canal in the center and a Fitness center in the middle!
Unfortunately they didn't manage to make N3 free flow from Dublin outbound
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #665
transport21

Likes (Received): 0

M18 Gort-Crusheen August updates

Looking south from the Crusheen-Tubber local rd overbridge

Looking north from the Crusheen-Tubber local road overbridge

Looking south from Gortavoher overbridge

Looking north from the Gortaoher overbridge

Lookin north from Rathwilladoon overbridge

Looking south from Rathwilladoon overbridge

Looking south from the Shanaglish overbridge

Looking north from the Shanaglish overbridge

Mainline looking south at the Gort-Tubber overbridge

Looking northbound with some verge crash barrier errected

Looking north toward the Gort junction from the R460 overbridge, no concrete barrier laid here just yet.

Looking south from the R460 overbridge, concrete barrier ends just south of the overpass

Tie in at the Cragard overbridge in the distance.

Old September 9th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #666
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
M9 Carlow to Knocktopher Opening Completes Dublin to Waterford Motorway!

A new 40km section of the M9 motorway from Carlow to Knocktopher was officially opened today (9/9/2010) by Minister for Transport, Noel Dempsey T.D.

This new section of motorway completes the fourth inter-urban motorway by connecting Waterford to Dublin via the new M9. The completion of the Carlow to Knocktopher scheme is estimated to save approximately 30minutes at peak journey times. Overall it is now estimated that it will take approximately 90minutes to travel from Dublin (M50) to Waterford City.

This scheme came in on budget at €467milion and 3 months ahead of schedule. Additionally, this motorway will remove unnecessary through traffic from Stoneyford, Knocktopher, Kilkenny City, Paulstown, Gowran, Dungarvan and Thomastown giving back to all these communities their respective village, town and city centres.

The Minister for Transport, Noel Dempsey T.D. said, "The new M9 motorway linking Dublin, Kilkenny and Waterford is now complete. This final 40km section of motorway between Carlow and Knocktopher opens another significant region of the country and it will prove vital in assisting local, national and international competitiveness.

As always, it is very important to acknowledge the major road safety improvements that go hand in hand with all the new motorways opened over the last few years and the significant time savings and efficiency created with a new Inter-Urban Motorway Network. It is estimated that journey time from the M50 in Dublin to the City of Waterford will be made in less then two hours.”

Peter Malone, Chairman National Roads Authority stated “The opening of the M9 Carlow to Knocktopher project completes the entire M9 motorway and provides a high quality link between Dublin and the major population centres of Carlow, Kilkenny and Waterford. Overall it will improve road safety, increase business opportunities and attract a wider audience to come and see for themselves the offerings on hand from the entire tourism industry throughout the region.

The transformation of road infrastructure throughout Ireland over last few years is historic in proportion and will offer a significant return on investment for generations to come. The National Roads Authority is one step closer in delivering a fully functioning modern motorway network for the benefit of the entire country.”

Additional Background Information

Towns Bypasses: Knocktopher, Stoneyford, Kilkenny, Paulstown, Thomastown, Dungarvan and Gowran.

Time Savings: Over 30 minutes on Waterford to Powerstown

This road runs through the central spine of both Kilkenny and Carlow and provides high quality connectivity between the major population centres of Waterford City, Kilkenny City and Carlow. It also improves access to Waterford Regional Airport, Belview Port, Waterford Institute of Technology, Waterford Regional Hospital, Carlow Institute of Technology and the various tourist attractions in the region.

* The new road provides high quality linkage between Dublin and the major population centres of Carlow Kilkenny and Waterford.
* The road will improve access between the major population centres while at the same time it will remove traffic from the villages of Stoneyford, Knocktopher, Kilkenny City Environs, Paulstown, Gowran, Dungarvan and Thomastown. It will improve road safety since it will remove traffic from the very poorly aligned sections of the old N9 and N10.
* This is the largest capital scheme ever undertaken by Kilkenny County Council-together with the recently opened section from Waterford to Knocktopher it means over 63 km. of new Motorway has been completed this year.
* The three major river crossings of the Kings River, Nore and Barrow presented significant challenges because of their location within a cSAC.
* The road will improve the environment in the bypassed villages and towns and the rural settlements on the existing national routes N9 and N10 by reducing noise and improving air quality
* 110 Archaeological sites were resolved prior to the commencement of construction of the road.

Mapped on OSM

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52...965332&zoom=11

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #667
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Wow awesome

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #668
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Interesting that both carriageways are built together as one and the crash barrier added later. I haven't seen that before.

I also notice that Ireland uses a national (N), regional (R) naming system like South Africa. Does anyone know its origin, or is it purely co-incidental?
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #669
ilyan

Likes (Received): 861

How many motorways (stretches) u/c now in Ireland? When they should be finished?
ilyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #670
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed110220 View Post
Interesting that both carriageways are built together as one and the crash barrier added later. I haven't seen that before.

I also notice that Ireland uses a national (N), regional (R) naming system like South Africa. Does anyone know its origin, or is it purely co-incidental?
The road "letters" are:

M - Motorway
N - National (broken down into two types, National Primary N1-N50, National Secondary N51-N99)
R - Regional
L - Local

There used to be a different system, T for "Trunk road" and L for "Link road" this roughly corresponds to N and R today. This was changed to the current system in 1977, though "Local" road signs have only started to appear in the past few years.

Wiki's "Roads in Ireland" article explains it pretty well. As far as I know, the similarity with South Africa is probably coincidental!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyan View Post
How many motorways (stretches) u/c now in Ireland? When they should be finished?
I'm not sure of the exact number under construction, but by the end of this year there will be just over 1,000km of motorways in the country.

By 2015, assuming all goes well, there should be around 1,110km.
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #671
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 255

I've drawn on the OSM to indicate the next round of motorways in Ireland.
Dark blue roads will open by the end of 2010.
Light blue are not started yet and have their opening date noted.
Green are important motorway-standard dual carriageways. The two beside the M20 (Limerick to Cork road) will be built as part of the M20 but there is no date set for when the rest will be built.

In the future there may be many other motorways too. For example, it's being decided now whether the final part of the M11 (south east coast motorway) will be dual carriageway or motorway. Even though it doesn't get much traffic, to my surprise I heard that they are seriously considering making it a motorway.

Then there are other roads that will probably be made into motorways in the future. These include the Athlone Bypass, the Cork Southern Ring Road and the new tunnel under the Shannon west of Limerick.

There are also roads which won't be motorways but should be, like the Galway Bypass, the Cork Northern Ring Road and the Adare Bypass. These will be dual carriageways but built to motorway specifications.

There are also a lot more dual carriageways going to be built (at least another 600 km), but these won't be to a high standard.
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #672
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Are there plans for a Cork - Waterford motorway?

I'm glad to see Ireland doesn't get stuck like Hungary.*

* that is, a radial network from the capital only, while tangential connections do not gain ground.
Old September 10th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #673
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

I was under the impression that there were plans for upgrades (motorway? DC?) between Cork and Waterford and also Limerick and Waterford; Waterford and Wexford; Dublin and Sligo; and a motorway from Dundalk to Derry. The last project I understood was to be mainly funded by the Republic government despite running mostly through Northern Ireland.

With the severity of Ireland's recession, I imagine these plans have been scaled right back, and perhaps I've not quite got my facts right on what sort of upgrades were planned...
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #674
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Is this list I compiled correct about the Ireland motorway network?

M1 80
M2 13
M3 51
M4 62
M6 144
M7 112
M8 149
M9 117
M11 37
M18 22
M20 10
M50 45
total 842 km
Old September 10th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #675
nordisk celt83

Likes (Received): 57

I don't think there's a definitive answer atm... I'd imagine that figure is around right for the network as it stands, with additional km's to be added on the M18 and M7 in the coming weeks/months.
I think the M7 will be the longest section of motorway in the country when it's completed, but I may be wrong??? I also think the M3 may be 60km, but I've seen 51/52km elsewhere...
nordisk celt83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #676
nordisk celt83

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
I was under the impression that there were plans for upgrades (motorway? DC?) between Cork and Waterford and also Limerick and Waterford; Waterford and Wexford; Dublin and Sligo; and a motorway from Dundalk to Derry. The last project I understood was to be mainly funded by the Republic government despite running mostly through Northern Ireland.

With the severity of Ireland's recession, I imagine these plans have been scaled right back, and perhaps I've not quite got my facts right on what sort of upgrades were planned...

There certainly are plans, but whether they'll come to fruition in the near future is another question.
I'd imagine some of the DC roads will be built, but motorway construction will probably come to a halt.

The connection between Cork and Limerick and Galway is of importance, but something like a motorway between Waterford and Limerick can't be justified atm. They both have a population of around 50,000 with very little between them, so it's a bit overkill.
I'd hope an underground eastern-bypass of Dublin would be constructed before a motorway between Limerick and Waterford.

The Dublin-Derry motroway looks like it will go ahead, they seem quite eager on the northern side of things!
Old September 10th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #677
spacetweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Is this list I compiled correct about the Ireland motorway network?

M1 80
M2 13
M3 51
M4 62
M6 144
M7 112
M8 149
M9 117
M11 37
M18 22
M20 10
M50 45
total 842 km
Scroll to the end of this page for the yearly totals. I don't know what year your 842 km refers to - do you mean right now, or by the end of 2010, or the end of 2009?
Old September 10th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #678
spacetweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post

Here's the situation with all of those:

Cork-Waterford-Wexford: Some short stretches of dual are planned, but they'll be 10 years or more before they're all finished as they aren't a priority right now. The gaps in between may never be filled.
Limerick-Waterford: No plan to ever have a dual between these. It isn't clear what's happening here actually. Some bypasses will take place but they may be single carriageway and it will be 2020 at least before they're all done as again, the road is not a priority right now.
Dublin-Sligo: Yes, the part Mullingar-Longford will be built as a dual carriageway by 2015. There's a strong plan to finish the rest to Sligo, but it might be after 2020.
Dundalk-Derry: Yes, there is going to be some type of route from Dublin to Derry, but it looks like it'll only be a dual carriageway (not motorway) and it won't start at Dublin. It will either start at Drogheda or Dundalk. Traffic will use the M1 for the remainder of the trip. There's no timeframe for this new road though, but politics from Northern Ireland might be an influence.
Old September 10th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #679
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
Scroll to the end of this page for the yearly totals. I don't know what year your 842 km refers to - do you mean right now, or by the end of 2010, or the end of 2009?
Right now. But the opening of M7 will increase that figure to around 900 km by the end of the year I guess...
Old September 10th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #680
nordisk celt83

Spacetweek, what do you think the chances are of the Dublin Eastern by-pass or the Dublin Outer Orbital getting built in the next 10years or so?