daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 16th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #701
transport21

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
A motorway service area will also be built as part of the scheme apparently - to be attached to the 3 level stack!
Nope that was scrapped months ago now. The project is massive and delighted it's going ahead to construction early next year.

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:24 AM   #702
csd

Likes (Received): 49

M9 final section to open

Folks,

Here are some photos of the final section of the M9 to open, which is between junctions 6 and 9. This section bypasses Kilkenny city to the east, and is mapped on OpenStreetmap.

To continue the journey south to Waterford, see my earlier post here.

These were taken yesterday between heavy showers!

1. Start of the new section, south of Carlow.

2. Just after J6.

3. Overbridge.

4. 2km ADS for J7.

5. Fuel, dinner, and a round of golf. What more could you want?

6. Gantry for J7.

7. RCS after J7. Hard to believe that Waterford is less than half an hour from here now.

8. Another bridge.

9. 2km ADS for the new Kilkenny link road (N10).

10. 500m ADS. Northbound, the exit is also signed for Durrow.

11. Small sign, extra-long gantry arm. The N10 interchange is via a trumpet which goes below the M9 mainline.

12. 25 mins to Waterford from Kilkenny.

13. High bridge over a cutting south of Kilkenny.

14. Approaching the end of the newly-opened section. Apologies for the blur, but it was raining heavily and the light was poor.

15. J9 marks the end of the section opened two weeks ago.

Continued here.
csd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 01:48 AM   #703
csd

Likes (Received): 49

N25 Waterford bypass

This set of shots is taken yesterday is a continuation of these, from the end of the M9 to the N25 near Kilmeaden, west of Waterford. It shows the new N25 Waterford bypass and Suir bridge, and the sequence goes from A to B as shown below.

Note the M9 is incorrectly shown as the N9 in Google Maps!

1. There is a short dual carriageway (600m) section of N9 between the end of the M9 (at the N24 roundabout) and the N25. It seems a rather strange way to join two motorway-standard roads, but anyway, we're going to go right and the roundabout and down onto the N25, which has priority through the junction.

2. Heading down the on-ramp from the roundabout on the N9, the bridge over the river Suir is right in front of us.

3. Nice big bridge, but you have to pay! €1.90 for a car. There are no tolls at all on the M9 to Dublin, but to bypass Waterford you must pay this toll.

4. Over the other side of the Suir (western bank), this forest of signs greets you as you approach the toll plaza.

5. Toll plaza. As usual, the express lane for electronic tag holders is on the right.

6. First junction west of the Suir bridge.

7. The N25 is part of Euroroute 30. I wonder if anyone has traveled the full length from Cork to Omsk...

8. Although fully grade-separated, and having no private accesses, this section of dual carriageway is very twisty...

9. ...and has some very steep gradients (for a road of this standard in Ireland, anyway).

10. Having bypassed Waterford and the village of Kilmeaden, the dual carriageway section ends at a roundabout.

11. For most of the rest of the route to Midleton in County Cork, the road is like this. The final section between Midleton and around the south ring of Cork city is dual carriageway standard.
csd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 03:11 AM   #704
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Likes (Received): 16

Great pics csd, I travelled the full length of the N25 from Rosslare to Cork a year ago, just before the Waterford bypass was open, I bet that has transformed journey times along the south coast. The New Ross bypass is also needed badly though, we had to mess around in the town centre through mini roundabouts that were being negotiated by artic. trucks at the same time! Hopefully that scheme is started sooner rather than later.

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!

The rest of my Flickr photos - motorsport, roads and more!
Map Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:30 AM   #705
nordisk celt83

Likes (Received): 57

Thanks for sharing these great pics csd. Drove this road recently, and it's great quality pretty much all the way, but yet again landscaping is really poor. Sorry to harp on about it, but the least the county councils could do is cut the grass and weeds along the verges.
nordisk celt83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #706
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Opening of Nenagh-Limerick motorway link

Tuesday, 28 September 2010 11:40

A section of the M7 Dublin to Limerick motorway that was delayed due to subsidence during construction will be officially opened this afternoon.

The section between Nenagh and Limerick was originally due to open last year, but the project was delayed because of subsidence on a stretch of road through Annaholty bog.

Transport Minister Noel Dempsey said the opening of the new section at Birdhill will remove high volumes of traffic from serious accident locations like Daly's cross and Yellow Bridge and improve road safety for all motorists.

It is expected that journey times between Nenagh and Limerick will be reduced by 10 minutes initially, and journey times to Dublin will be reduced further when the final section of the M7 from Castetown in Co Laois to Nenagh, which will bypass Roscrea, Moneygall and Toomevara, will be completed by the end of the year.

Work started on the 12.5km section in 2006. It was originally scheduled to open in May 2009.

The problem was caused by the failure of supports driven into the bog on which the road was constructed.

As a result, a 100m section had to be excavated and rebuilt from scratch.

Extensive load testing has been carried out in recent months to ensure the road is fit for purpose.

The final section of the motorway between Castletown and Nenagh will be finished by the end of the year.

Story from RTÉ News:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0928/m7.html

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:42 PM   #707
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Wow, that's a coincidence, I wast just looking into this, and wanted to post it here
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 11:42 AM   #708
odlum833

I just had to get in there first

Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:47 AM   #709
transport21

M18 Gort-Crusheen September updates

The scheme is now certainly entering it's final stages with wearing course covering nearly the entrie scheme on the northbound lane and the southbound carriageway is not far behind. Junctions are advanced with lamp posts erected and also fencing for noise is starting to go up. No signs up yet.

Crusheen Interchange

Half Gantry erected beside the Lahardan overbridge

Tubber-Crusheen Overbridge looking south

Tubber-Crusheen looking north

Gortavoher looking north

Gortavoher looking south(why was the road dug up?)

Shanaglish looking south

Shanaglish looking north

Old October 2nd, 2010, 01:04 AM   #710
transport21

Also it's worth mentioning that roads in the republic can now be viewed in google streetview.

Plus there is a designated forum now for roads on boards.ie here
Old October 8th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #711
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek
Limerick-Waterford: No plan to ever have a dual between these. It isn't clear what's happening here actually. Some bypasses will take place but they may be single carriageway and it will be 2020 at least before they're all done as again, the road is not a priority right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
Thanks for that! That certainly makes things clearer.
No worries, but I want to correct myself. I've got some updated info on the N24 Limerick-Waterford road.
In 2007 it was announced that this *would* be dual carriageway all the way eventually. Most progress is being made on the section Limerick-M8 motorway. This is likely to be completed by 2020 or earlier. However there has been very little progress made on M8-Waterford so I anticipate 2025 for that.
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #712
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
No worries, but I want to correct myself. I've got some updated info on the N24 Limerick-Waterford road.
In 2007 it was announced that this *would* be dual carriageway all the way eventually. Most progress is being made on the section Limerick-M8 motorway. This is likely to be completed by 2020 or earlier. However there has been very little progress made on M8-Waterford so I anticipate 2025 for that.
It looks like the Irish government will have to bail out the banks again at the cost of many billions. I've head one figure quoting a quadrupling of the national debt!

I think I can confidently say that a lot of these projects won't see the light of day any time soon...
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #713
Highwaycrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
It looks like the Irish government will have to bail out the banks again at the cost of many billions. I've head one figure quoting a quadrupling of the national debt!

I think I can confidently say that a lot of these projects won't see the light of day any time soon...
As their finance minister said: we will paddle our own canoe.

You won't see the Irish come begging to the IMF or EUR zone for money, like Greece. The Irish also had to contribute the second biggest for the Greek bailout after Germany (EUR 280 per person), I believe. How were they thanked for this? They got their rating cut to add insult to injury.

Last edited by Highwaycrazy; October 9th, 2010 at 12:55 AM.
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 01:20 AM   #714
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furet View Post
I walked for about 3km west of J22 today.

New style of signage pole:

Looking west:

Looking west:

Looking east towards J22:

ADS approaching J22:

Looking west to Limerick:

Nice vista looking east about 2km from J22:

Gap in barrier:

Looking to Limerick:

M7 pics taken by Furet.

Opening in November maybe by the 15th.

Map

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52...976562&zoom=13

Old October 25th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #715
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Likes (Received): 16

Is J22 on the M7 built as a LILO as the ADS doesn't depict a fork, but a 90 degree turn off?

Looking good though, thats nearly it all done now! Pretty impressive to say the least for Ireland.

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!

The rest of my Flickr photos - motorsport, roads and more!
Map Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #716
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Not really known with the local usage of Irish - but is it really necessary to have all these signs in Irish as well, or is it language promotion? Because signage is not meant for that reason in my opinion. For example this sign would've been much better in one language.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #717
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Well, it's an official language and as such has to be on official signage I guess. I find the English translations a little weird, most of them seem to be just something that sounds like the Irish name but doesn't really mean anything in English..
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #718
Highwaycrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Guy View Post
Is J22 on the M7 built as a LILO as the ADS doesn't depict a fork, but a 90 degree turn off?

Looking good though, thats nearly it all done now! Pretty impressive to say the least for Ireland.

I thought the exact same....! Maybe it was a local company making the signs who made the mistake. In any case, bad workmanship in the manufacturing. I would actually insist on that sign being replaced free of charge.

I wouldn't want to make a 90 degree turn-off at 120 km/h!
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #719
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

It's political, no government that put monolingual English signs up would ever be re-elected. It's also cultural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx☢Power View Post
Well, it's an official language and as such has to be on official signage I guess. I find the English translations a little weird, most of them seem to be just something that sounds like the Irish name but doesn't really mean anything in English..
That's exactly what they are, it's how the English officials heard them a few hundred years ago.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #720
dizee

Exit 22 is a LILO however I assume (/hope!) that the slip roads and curves would be at the correct motorway standards. It's a good idea to give a visual indication of this on the sign anyway.

Irish is officially / constitutionally the first language. However it is basically for promotion. You have to give people the chance to use the language. I like having bilingual signs but maybe there's a clearer way of doing it, maybe different colours would be better than italics. Though it's not a problem as an Irish person reading them, we're used to them. There is more space between the destinations as well as a result.

And yeah the English names are almost always just some meaningless phonetic rendering of the Irish version. The Irish name tells you the meaning. (If you can understand it.) It's pretty inconsistent though it depends on who wrote the map at the time, sometimes they'd know a few words and not the rest, for example Cill Droichid -> Celbridge, they got the "bridge" part but not the "church" part.
dizee no está en línea   Reply With Quote