daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 27th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #741
sotonsi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx☢Power View Post
Metric signs are perfectly legal in the US.
but the one and only major road with kilometres on signs (and kilometre-based exit numbers) is being converted to miles (it opened with kilometres on signs). Part of it is because there's a ton of stimulus cash rolling about, but still, they are changing it back.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #742
Gareth
Keltlandia
 
Gareth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 8,879
Likes (Received): 66

Hmm...

Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #743
Maxx☢Power
BANNED
 
Maxx☢Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 387
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
but the one and only major road with kilometres on signs (and kilometre-based exit numbers) is being converted to miles (it opened with kilometres on signs). Part of it is because there's a ton of stimulus cash rolling about, but still, they are changing it back.
I didn't say they're popular

Actually, I read there are protests against changing I-whateveritis in Arizona back to caveman measurements for the same reason people protest the opposite in the UK: That it's unnecessary and a waste of money, and businesses along the road think they'll lose customers because the exit numbers will have to change.

Last edited by Maxx☢Power; October 27th, 2010 at 05:37 PM.
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #744
csd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 143
Likes (Received): 49

Here we go again...

While I love a good old-fashioned metric vs Imperial units debate, this has been done to death! Do we really have to go around that block again? Ireland is metric because the derogation from the EU expired and we didn't want to extend it yet again. The benefit is we have the same measurement system for fuel, distances, weights, and speeds, and it's the same system used by most of the rest of the world.

And as for that other old saw, Ireland-chose-yellow-diamonds-to-be-different-from-the-UK, as Gareth said, Ireland chose these BEFORE the UK adopted red triangles.

/csd
csd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #745
Highwaycrazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 141
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
Nope. Northern Ireland has a devolved government, not 'the north of Ireland'. If you don't know the difference between the two things, then you're probably not in any position to be going on about whether the UK government 'wants' Northern Ireland or whether Northern Irish people would be happy to change over to metric road signs.

Furthermore, every US state has 'devolved government' too, but any independent effort by a state to introduce metric signs would be stamped on. In fact, I have a feeling it's happened before already.

And where the hell UK spending cuts come into any of this, I really do not know.
Albeit, the people of those 6 counties are subjected rather than 'want' to change over to metric signs and speed limits. Unless they're offered the opportunity to hold a referendum on switching...

The north of Ireland has always (and will be) known here in the US as a disputed territory. US support for Ireland by the Irish American lobby actually increased awareness of this plight.

Metric signs are propping up across the US. There will always be resistance to change. Old habits die hard. But I am completely in favor of going Metric. It's good for the US.
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #746
Maxx☢Power
BANNED
 
Maxx☢Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 387
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post
While I love a good old-fashioned metric vs Imperial units debate, this has been done to death! Do we really have to go around that block again? Ireland is metric because the derogation from the EU expired and we didn't want to extend it yet again. The benefit is we have the same measurement system for fuel, distances, weights, and speeds, and it's the same system used by most of the rest of the world.

And as for that other old saw, Ireland-chose-yellow-diamonds-to-be-different-from-the-UK, as Gareth said, Ireland chose these BEFORE the UK adopted red triangles.

/csd
Maybe add Northern Ireland to that list of dead horses too?
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #747
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob
 
Map Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bristol
Posts: 115
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
Albeit, the people of those 6 counties are subjected rather than 'want' to change over to metric signs and speed limits. Unless they're offered the opportunity to hold a referendum on switching...

The north of Ireland has always (and will be) known here in the US as a disputed territory. US support for Ireland by the Irish American lobby actually increased awareness of this plight.

Metric signs are propping up across the US. There will always be resistance to change. Old habits die hard. But I am completely in favor of going Metric. It's good for the US.
Because the people of Northern Ireland have at the top of their agenda, the unit of measurement for their speed limits don't they?! Get a grip buddy, the official name is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland so instead of stirring the pot once again, leave it to the people actually living there and putting up with the Troubles to argue about it. There's a hell of a lot more important things to discuss in Northern Ireland than it's speed limits. When the country is all well and good ready, it's own people will decide whether to remain in the Union or join with the Republic. If there's one thing that grates me, it's not the arguements that will inevitably spring up between the two countries, it's the Yanks wading in thinking they're the big hard guys, saying what they want when they have no bloody right to do so.

Stick to your dead straight roads, turning circles and crappy signage, and if you've got something to comment on relating to either the Republic or the UK, leave it to roads cos then at least you'll have some clue of what you're talking about.
__________________
James

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!

The rest of my Flickr photos - motorsport, roads and more!
Map Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #748
Highwaycrazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 141
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Guy View Post
Because the people of Northern Ireland have at the top of their agenda, the unit of measurement for their speed limits don't they?! Get a grip buddy, the official name is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland so instead of stirring the pot once again, leave it to the people actually living there and putting up with the Troubles to argue about it. There's a hell of a lot more important things to discuss in Northern Ireland than it's speed limits. When the country is all well and good ready, it's own people will decide whether to remain in the Union or join with the Republic. If there's one thing that grates me, it's not the arguements that will inevitably spring up between the two countries, it's the Yanks wading in thinking they're the big hard guys, saying what they want when they have no bloody right to do so.

Stick to your dead straight roads, turning circles and crappy signage, and if you've got something to comment on relating to either the Republic or the UK, leave it to roads cos then at least you'll have some clue of what you're talking about.
Why is your etiquette so poor? no really, i am curious. what is the name of the little village you come from in Coventry? where did you cultivate this incredibly inspiring local view?! if you can tell us, we can all move there and learn how to get BSE and sit on our asses hoping for more budget cuts to our roads... I just want to know the name of the ass pimple that is your tiny meaningless village?
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #749
niterider
niterider
 
niterider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 413
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
Albeit, the people of those 6 counties are subjected rather than 'want' to change over to metric signs and speed limits. Unless they're offered the opportunity to hold a referendum on switching...
By that logic the England Scotland and Wales are also 'subjected' to mph...
NI is in the UK and the majority wish to remain so at the present time. The UK uses imperial...rightly or wrongly. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
The north of Ireland has always (and will be) known here in the US as a disputed territory.
Who gives a fu*k? Its not your busuiness so instead of sprouting bullshit about subjugation perhaps instead let the people who live there make that decision....
niterider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #750
Highwaycrazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 141
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
By that logic the England Scotland and Wales are also 'subjected' to mph...
NI is in the UK and the majority wish to remain so at the present time. The UK uses imperial...rightly or wrongly. Deal with it.

Who gives a fu*k? Its not your busuiness so instead of sprouting bullshit about subjugation perhaps instead let the people who live there make that decision....
You should be more objective before speaking. Yes, put it to a referendum!!

....do I need to remind you that your highways (and economy) in Israel is supported by the US?
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #751
niterider
niterider
 
niterider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 413
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
You should be more objective before speaking. Yes, put it to a referendum!!

....do I need to remind you that your highways (and economy) in Israel is supported by the US?
You're avoiding the point.

My highways? Please tell me, where did I discuss 'my' Israeli highways? Esepcially as I'm not Israeli or even live there! Nice beaches there though...and don't get me started on the nightlife...

Perhaps it is up to the people living there whether they wish for a referendum rather than someone dictating their political situation to them.
niterider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 02:34 AM   #752
Gareth
Keltlandia
 
Gareth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 8,879
Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
Albeit, the people of those 6 counties are subjected rather than 'want' to change over to metric signs and speed limits. Unless they're offered the opportunity to hold a referendum on switching...
Right, I'm not going to go into your completely ignorant political views about something you clearly know nothing about, but here's a quick geography lesson...

The Republic of Ireland (Green) & Northern Ireland/UK (Orange).




The provinces of Ireland. The 'north of Ireland' is the province of Ulster and arguably northern parts of Leinster and Connacht. Three of Ulster's counties are not a part of Northern Ireland, which is a political, not geographic region, nor are any neighbouring parts of Leinster or Connacht.




I did namedrop Donegal to give you a clue but you probably think a donegal is a memory stick you put into your computer to store data.

Moral of the story, if you're going to be a smart arse, at least try and cover some bases, so it's not so obvious that you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Last edited by Gareth; October 29th, 2010 at 02:48 AM.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 03:05 AM   #753
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob
 
Map Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bristol
Posts: 115
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
Why is your etiquette so poor? no really, i am curious. what is the name of the little village you come from in Coventry? where did you cultivate this incredibly inspiring local view?! if you can tell us, we can all move there and learn how to get BSE and sit on our asses hoping for more budget cuts to our roads... I just want to know the name of the ass pimple that is your tiny meaningless village?
Haha oh my friend how old are you?! Get a grip on the fact that you're clearly out of your depth and concentrate on what you do know, like I said before. You want a civil debate on BSE right? PM me sometime, I'd be happy to hear your views and I'll gladly return the favour. And if you'd like enlightening on the history and current situation with regard to Northern Ireland and the Troubles, I'm sure any one of our resident Irish contributors will happily fill you in, albeit in a mature adult-like manner.

Oh and by the way, Coventry has a population of 300,000 and quite a nice inner ring road too
__________________
James

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!

The rest of my Flickr photos - motorsport, roads and more!
Map Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 03:38 AM   #754
Highwaycrazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 141
Likes (Received): 0


whatever.

I suggest you don't bet your ass on it, unless you're into that kind of thing.

More people identify themselves as Irish than British in Northern Ireland according to a recent poll in the Belfast Telegraph.

Over 1000 people were interviewed for the survey:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...nd/8567619.stm


The north of Ireland (the more diplomatic term) works just fine for me, Gareth....

Afterall, it's a disputed territory and you shouldn't forget that, no matter what your patriotic agenda you so delicately ended your comment on.
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #755
Gareth
Keltlandia
 
Gareth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 8,879
Likes (Received): 66

It's not a more diplomatic term at all. Just one you incorrectly use to mean Northern Ireland, no matter what your ignorant, naīve American view. It's no more correct than calling the Republic of Ireland 'the south of Ireland'. Feel free to visit the UK & Ireland section to have your hyperbole corrected on many levels, unless you've actually got something to say about Irish roads here.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:53 AM   #756
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter
 
Comfortably Numb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 2,521
Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post

whatever.

I suggest you don't bet your ass on it, unless you're into that kind of thing.

More people identify themselves as Irish than British in Northern Ireland according to a recent poll in the Belfast Telegraph.

Over 1000 people were interviewed for the survey:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...nd/8567619.stm


The north of Ireland (the more diplomatic term) works just fine for me, Gareth....

Afterall, it's a disputed territory and you shouldn't forget that, no matter what your patriotic agenda you so delicately ended your comment on.
How do 1,000 people interviewed in a poll account for the 1.7 million people living in Northern Ireland? BTW, it is called "Northern Ireland", so deal with it. Nobody with more than 1/4 of a brain refers to it "the north of Ireland". The north of Ireland would translate to being the northern part of the Republic Of Ireland.
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #757
Gareth
Keltlandia
 
Gareth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 8,879
Likes (Received): 66

Or as likely, the island of Ireland, a I mentioned above.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #758
sotonsi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 5,562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
More people identify themselves as Irish than British in Northern Ireland according to a recent poll in the Belfast Telegraph.
And they are Irish, as in purporting to the island of Ireland! The question not "do you want to be part of the UK?", but asking something else that may or may not be that question to the answerer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
....do I need to remind you that your highways (and economy) in Israel is supported by the US?
If talking about Ireland - then no, they aren't. This is surprisingly on-topic for you, but once again, unsurprisingly ignorant for you!

First it was EU funding, then it became because of the growth in economy (to richer, per head, than the UK, and also to a net benefactor to the EU) that paid for the roads in Ireland.

About the only economic thing the USA has done for Ireland in recent years is it's government making it's banks give out loans backed by the Feds, to people who very likely couldn't pay them. This, of course, completely crippled their state's finances, which was based on debt (like in the UK, there was a case of building up debt when times were good, rather than following Keynes and building up a surplus to allow you to spend a lot more when times go sour).
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #759
Maxx☢Power
BANNED
 
Maxx☢Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 387
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
You should be more objective before speaking. Yes, put it to a referendum!!

....do I need to remind you that your highways (and economy) in Israel is supported by the US?
May I suggest that you remove the "Highway" part of your name to better reflect your distorted perception of reality?
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #760
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,431
Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
How do 1,000 people interviewed in a poll account for the 1.7 million people living in Northern Ireland? BTW, it is called "Northern Ireland", so deal with it. Nobody with more than 1/4 of a brain refers to it "the north of Ireland". The north of Ireland would translate to being the northern part of the Republic Of Ireland.
No it wouldn't, especially if you're Irish.



Oh and by the way, Northern Ireland is not officially a disputed territory since the Good Friday Agreement, and the respective amendment to the Irish Constitution.

Anyway, this isn't the place for a discussion on Irish political affairs.

--------------------------------------



R668 between Lismore and Clogheen, this was taken on the Clogheen (TS) side.

This is the Vee

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; October 29th, 2010 at 07:08 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium