daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 15th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #861
Furet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 81
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordisk celt83 View Post
Thanks for sharing csd. You say the Limerick southern bypass M7 route comes to an end at the M20/N18 exit 30... Does this route then connect directly with the Shannon tunnel from this point on???
Yes, it does, and then onwards as the N18/M18 to north of Gort.
Furet no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #862
nordisk celt83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway and Enniskerry, Wicklow
Posts: 1,060
Likes (Received): 57


Good to hear; thanks for info!
nordisk celt83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:43 AM   #863
spacetweek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dublin
Posts: 836
Likes (Received): 255

The austerity measures in Ireland have meant that many people thought there would be no new roads being built for a while, but that's not the case.
Here are all the roads projects starting nationwide in 2011:

Motorways
M17/18 Gort to Tuam (57 km) (really big project!)
M11 Arklow to Rathnew (16 km) (including a services area)

Dual carriageway
N70/N69 Tralee bypass

Single carriageway
N3 Belturbet Bypass
N5 Longford Bypass
N87 Ballyconnell Relief Road

Interchanges
N4 Downs Grade separation
N7 Newlands Cross
N25 Cork Southern Ring Road Interchanges

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...288249098.html
__________________
Latest information on road building in Ireland, and detailed information on all Irish motorways
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/ine...s/current.html
My proposals for roadbuilding 2015-2040:
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:58 AM   #864
dizee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dublin, IE
Posts: 113
Likes (Received): 0

Well to be honest it makes sense to proceed if we can.

You can't get out of an economic slump by cutting spending and not investing. If anything we should be putting more money into it. Labour seem to be making the right noises in this regard at least.

Anyway the big ones are PPPs so as long as finance is available they should be ok. The big bonus is the construction prices will be much cheaper.

I am really looking forward to the M17/M18 but it's disappointing how the M20 has disappeared off the radar. Hopefully the next government will give more consideration to it, it's the last real gap in the motorway network with Limerick to Galway already dual carriageway for maybe ~3/4 of the route. Both schemes should proceed.

There must be huge "bang for the buck" in the N7 Newland's cross and N25 interchange upgrades. Not the biggest scale but hugely important.
dizee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #865
Highwaycrazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 141
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizee View Post
Well to be honest it makes sense to proceed if we can.

You can't get out of an economic slump by cutting spending and not investing. If anything we should be putting more money into it. Labour seem to be making the right noises in this regard at least.

Anyway the big ones are PPPs so as long as finance is available they should be ok. The big bonus is the construction prices will be much cheaper.

I am really looking forward to the M17/M18 but it's disappointing how the M20 has disappeared off the radar. Hopefully the next government will give more consideration to it, it's the last real gap in the motorway network with Limerick to Galway already dual carriageway for maybe ~3/4 of the route. Both schemes should proceed.

There must be huge "bang for the buck" in the N7 Newland's cross and N25 interchange upgrades. Not the biggest scale but hugely important.
The Galway beltway?
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #866
dizee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dublin, IE
Posts: 113
Likes (Received): 0

Now that you mention it, Galway badly needs its outer bypass too. The traffic congestion there is terrible, way beyond what it should be considering the population.
dizee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #867
Chris_533976
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 210
Likes (Received): 27

The M17/18 project is looking shaky as the winning consortium to build the PPP project is having trouble getting finance from the banks.

Edit: And the Galway bypass should be 2nd priority, after the N7/M11 scheme. For the size of the city the traffic is just ridiculous. Unfortunately a bunch of eco-warriors are fighting it tooth and nail and its currently mired in the European court.
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #868
Highwaycrazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 141
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizee View Post
Now that you mention it, Galway badly needs its outer bypass too. The traffic congestion there is terrible, way beyond what it should be considering the population.
Looking at your maps, Galway already has a small beltway albeit broken up by Roundabouts. Why not retrofit the existing one by removing these roundabouts and building overpasses along with interchange improvements? Of course there would be an extra few Km's remaining beltway towards the N59 needed to be built, but it would be cheaper than building another beltway from scratch. The designers of the original scheme were seemingly very short-sighted and poorly planned this. Now it may cost millions more of your tax payers money.
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #869
Chris_533976
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 210
Likes (Received): 27

Contrary to popular belief it would be possible to grade seperate them but it would be too expensive as there are houses etc built right up to the side of them all.

What Galway needs as well is a fifth bridge. For a town the size of Galway with its car dependency, having only four bridges is just not enough. Also, if you look carefully at the maps, to get from west to east you have to use one of three possible roads at one point. Unsustainable. That bypass has to be built somehow.
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #870
Highwaycrazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 141
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_533976 View Post
Contrary to popular belief it would be possible to grade seperate them but it would be too expensive as there are houses etc built right up to the side of them all.


Very bad planning.... Most municipality councils never give permits to build right beside a Highway. If true, that would definitely be considered a screw-up by our standards, in which case, the person/s who made that decision would get fired. [/QUOTE]


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_533976 View Post
What Galway needs as well is a fifth bridge. For a town the size of Galway with its car dependency, having only four bridges is just not enough. Also, if you look carefully at the maps, to get from west to east you have to use one of three possible roads at one point. Unsustainable. That bypass has to be built somehow.
Agreed. A beltway only addresses some of the problems. They still need to upgrade inner-city routes. For example, the N6 which crosses the Corrib River would need to be under/over passed (with on/off-ramps) under/above those Roundabouts so that traffic is free-flowing.
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #871
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,572
Likes (Received): 19366

New beltways outside the existing urban area are only useful when there is significant through traffic or a fast development of industrial / urban areas. There isn't much west of Galway, so it seems most traffic would have a destination in Galway. Upgrading the existing infrastructure may be a better solution than building new infrastructure for relatively few traffic.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #872
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,428
Likes (Received): 890

It's hard to upgrade infrastructure in the middle of a city and I'm sure you know that.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #873
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,572
Likes (Received): 19366

The current N6 for example is mostly dual carriageway with large roundabouts. They could make some dive-unders. You don't need a 100 meter wide ROW to get a high-standard road. It's cheaper to relocate a few businesses than to build a completely new alignment that is only a solution for 5 - 10% of the traffic.

By the way Galway seems to have seen significant development in the past decade.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #874
Chris_533976
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 210
Likes (Received): 27

The big problem with Galway is that everyone lives in the west and works in the east. The bus service is unspeakably bad and there is no commuter rail worth mentioning.

The bypass would be a distributor road, but having a grade seperated bypass is extremely important. It would only be the first step in fixing the city, but it would help a lot especially on Friday evenings.

The old mantra is that if two people left home at the same time, person A at the start of the M6 motorway to Dublin, and Person B left Knocknacarra (west side of Galway) in rush hour traffic, an hour later person B would be just at the M6, while person A would be HALFWAY ACROSS THE COUNTRY.
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #875
transport21
Registered User
 
transport21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 231
Likes (Received): 0

Road infrastructure in Galway is the poorest of all cities in the Republic. Limerick, Waterford and Dublin have 1st class bypasses now and Galway is falling back in investment. The M6 was the only improvement Galway ciy has seen in a long time. The M17/M18 PPP needs to ahead and also the GCOB to bring the crazy traffic situation that is seen there daily under control. Also a bypass of Claregalway on the current N17 is needed. Cork also needs investment with the M20 and ring road. The schemes I have mentioned above are the priorities over the next 5 years as well as the N7 Newlands Cross junction upgrade and the M/N11 to Rosslare from Dublin.
__________________
.
transport21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:26 AM   #876
Highwaycrazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 141
Likes (Received): 0

I researched the History on the N6 - it's 26 years since the construction of this inner city beltway (1985). This highway is undivided in parts, as well as the aforementioned Roundabouts. It crosses the River Corrib too.
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 03:12 AM   #877
geogregor
Registered User
 
geogregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 15,491
Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Originally Posted by transport21 View Post
The schemes I have mentioned above are the priorities over the next 5 years as well as the N7 Newlands Cross junction upgrade and the M/N11 to Rosslare from Dublin.
You know that probably most of mentioned schemes won't be build in the next 5 years. In current economic situation of Ireland only really small projects will go ahead. Maybe Newland Cross from mentioned.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #878
transport21
Registered User
 
transport21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 231
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
You know that probably most of mentioned schemes won't be build in the next 5 years. In current economic situation of Ireland only really small projects will go ahead. Maybe Newland Cross from mentioned.
Yeah there is no capital funding at all. We got to hope the PPP process will work for us over the next 5 years or else all we will see is small 2km bypasses and minor junction upgrades.
__________________
.
transport21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:49 AM   #879
geogregor
Registered User
 
geogregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 15,491
Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Originally Posted by transport21 View Post
Yeah there is no capital funding at all. We got to hope the PPP process will work for us over the next 5 years or else all we will see is small 2km bypasses and minor junction upgrades.
But PPP success depends on credit worthiness of Irish state and it is at the moment close to zero. I wish you good luck but I'm highly skeptical if any PPP will go ahead any time soon. Banks won't be willing to take the risks.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 03:01 AM   #880
Dimenzion
Registered User
 
Dimenzion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
But PPP success depends on credit worthiness of Irish state and it is at the moment close to zero. I wish you good luck but I'm highly skeptical if any PPP will go ahead any time soon. Banks won't be willing to take the risks.

The markets suddenly turned against Ireland. Heavier indebted countries like the U.S and U.K can still get low market borrowing rates and retain low bond yields, ironically... The Euro is also under attack - since the beginning of 2010. That's not to say Ireland didn't make mistakes either. The biggest mistake was guaranteeing Bank bondholders. That was an overnight decision made by a folly finance minister back in 2008.

Last edited by Dimenzion; February 24th, 2011 at 03:18 AM.
Dimenzion no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium