daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 28th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #941
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19163

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Oh green catseyes, those are for junctions
No, not the one for junctions but temporary ones in the colour of green high visibility jackets. They are used to mark temporary lanes and lane changes. Sometimes after removal you can still see small holes they used to fix them to the surface.

EDIT
Like these

Last edited by geogregor; June 28th, 2011 at 08:31 PM.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #942
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Fair enough. I've never seen/noticed that though
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #943
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #944
DanielFigFoz

I have definitely not seen that, without white lines
Old June 29th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #945
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I remember when they first opened the M1 the tunnel was free. I haven't been there for a while now, do they accept cards?

They want to keep traffic out of the city centre, but the only plausible route going westbound when you get off the ferry in the mornings is THROUGH the centre. The M50 is always clogged.....
Are you sure the Port Tunnel was ever free? I don't remember that.
Going westbound from the port, car traffic can use the quays, but trucks must use the tunnel and the M50. The M50 rarely suffers from any congestion since the rebuild of 2006-2010.
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #946
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
Are you sure the Port Tunnel was ever free? I don't remember that.
Going westbound from the port, car traffic can use the quays, but trucks must use the tunnel and the M50. The M50 rarely suffers from any congestion since the rebuild of 2006-2010.
Yes it was free. This is going back roughly two years now, but I remember getting off the ferry, heading towards Belfast - the tunnel only just opened and it was free. Coming out straight into the M1 roadworks, and I remember tolls further up the M1 going over a bridge...
Old June 30th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #947
etchy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Yes it was free. This is going back roughly two years now, but I remember getting off the ferry, heading towards Belfast - the tunnel only just opened and it was free. Coming out straight into the M1 roadworks, and I remember tolls further up the M1 going over a bridge...
Perhaps it was free for a day or two to mark its opening but the tunnel was built specifically for HGVs and has been tolled for cars from the beginning. Indeed it used to be more expensive than it is now. The simplified €3 off-peak/€10 peak toll was brought in about a year and a half ago. Before that there was a tiered €3/€6/€12 toll, depending on the time of day.

EDIT: Have just seen that you say it was roughly two years ago. Either you're remembering wrong or there was some kind of exceptional event. As I said, the tunnel has always been tolled for cars. If the NRA had decided to slap a toll on a previously free road there would've been uproar.
etchy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #948
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchy View Post
Perhaps it was free for a day or two to mark its opening but the tunnel was built specifically for HGVs and has been tolled for cars from the beginning. Indeed it used to be more expensive than it is now. The simplified €3 off-peak/€10 peak toll was brought in about a year and a half ago. Before that there was a tiered €3/€6/€12 toll, depending on the time of day.

EDIT: Have just seen that you say it was roughly two years ago. Either you're remembering wrong or there was some kind of exceptional event. As I said, the tunnel has always been tolled for cars. If the NRA had decided to slap a toll on a previously free road there would've been uproar.
Might have been some kind of exceptional event, then. I only remember the tolls further up north for a bridge. I sometimes don't pay tolls in Italy. They're either on strike, or the automatic credit cards machine doesn't work, in which case they print me a charge with my registration on it, which I don't pay in a million years, or they just leave the barrier open...
Old July 16th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #949
IRELAND

Likes (Received): 0

Hay Bales on M50!

Quote:
Motorists are experiencing serious delays on the M50 Northbound following an incident in which a lorry carrying hay bails accidentally knocked off half of its load.

Gardaí are currently at the scene.

Drivers are being asked to slow down and approach with care.

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/breakingnews/...#ixzz1SHH3OdVC
Irish Examiner

Last edited by IRELAND; July 16th, 2011 at 05:14 PM.
IRELAND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2011, 02:36 AM   #950
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

I know this can be dangerous. But I think hay bails on a motorway looks quite funny.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 04:05 AM   #951
Bothar.G

I think the truck driver failed to properly ensure his trailer load was secure. Unfortunately, there is little enforcement of vehicle safety checks by our Traffic Cops in Ireland. They really don't show much initiative and there is a lack of commitment to enforce many truck inspections here. One thing I notice is many street/city signs damaged because trucks hit them.
Bothar.G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #952
Road_UK
BANNED

Funnier are overturned lorries with bottles of beer on board. Saw it with my own eyes: happy hour on the M1 near Northampton...

Two years ago a Dutch lorry overturned in Austria near the Hungarian border with live chickens on board. They were all over the road. It gives the joke why did the chicken cross the road a whole new meaning!
Old July 28th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #953
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 27

Kitten on the M50

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0720/freeway.html
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #954
Bothar.G

Wide Medians

In U.K airports, they use ''Way Out'' whereas we use ''Exit'' for all categories of transport (road, rail, etc.)

Exit on this sign:

Notice the shorter median width for the newer schemes (above)

In contrast, the old schemes were built with wide medians. Bushes were planted along the median as an anti-dazzle measure. Initially, wider medians were built because there were no guardrails present on the medians of our highways/motorways and drivers were expected to re-gain control by themselves.

However, crashes like this soon changed that in 2004 when the NRA initiated a €15m program to erect guardrails on all divided highways in Ireland:

Some now use rope guardrails:
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #955
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 850

Also, in road construction news:

Quote:
Final link in Cork ring road expected to cut travel times

MICHELLE McDONAGH

Sat, Jul 30, 2011

MINISTER FOR Transport Leo Varadkar has turned the sod on works on the N25 Cork southern ring road, which it is anticipated will bring a major reduction in journey times.

The proposed scheme is the final link to a free-flowing route from the western end of the N22 Ballincollig bypass to the northern end of the Jack Lynch Tunnel.

The N25 South Ring Interchanges Scheme comprises the upgrading of 3km of the route and involves the demolition of footbridges at the Bandon and Sarsfield Road roundabouts and the construction of parallel link roads.

“This project will improve road safety, inter-regional connectivity and improve the quality of life for people living and working in Co Cork,” Mr Varadkar said.

“With an investment of €98 million on the construction of the N25 Cork Southern Ring Road, it is tangible evidence of this Government’s commitment to road safety and economic growth.”

National Roads Authority chief executive Fred Barry said: “The N25 Cork Southern Ring Road project will deliver more consistent journey times to and through the Cork region by providing a high quality link between the N22 and N71 in the southwest with the N8, N25 and N28.”

Gerard Goodwin, senior engineer with Cork City Council, said the new stretch of road would be of motorway standard, although it had not yet been decided whether the route would be upgraded to a motorway.

“At the moment, there is severe congestion for most of the year at those two roundabouts,” Mr Goodwin said. “The new works will eliminate all of these and create a free flow of traffic. We estimate that journey times will be reduced by 75 per cent at peak times.”

During the Minister’s visit, Cork Chamber president John Mullins called on Mr Varadkar to publish an integrated transport policy for an exporting economy that established the sustainable funding basis for infrastructure.He called on all Cork Ministers, TDs and elected officials to show their support in opposing the introduction of an opportunistic toll on the Jack Lynch Tunnel. “Tolling will have significant adverse affect on users, operators and the general public.”

© 2011 The Irish Times
Surely the 'final link' in the Cork ring road will be the Northern Ring Road project?

Project information from the National Roads Authority.
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 04:16 PM   #956
Bothar.G

Going back to Highways, this is the A2 in Derry which opened to traffic in February of this year. It connects the Airport with the city and is 6.8km in length.

No shoulder lane, funnily enough.

Pedestrian bridge.
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:17 PM   #957
niterider
niterider

Likes (Received): 0

Does anyone know the reason for yellow shoulders? Personally, I like think white shoulders blend into the countryside better but then again I also think a yellow central diving line is a great way to indicate opposing traffic on roads, as used in North America and elsewhere
niterider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 09:08 PM   #958
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Does anyone know the reason for yellow shoulders? Personally, I like think white shoulders blend into the countryside better but then again I also think a yellow central diving line is a great way to indicate opposing traffic on roads, as used in North America and elsewhere
I prefer yellow shoulders. I see the logic of them in countries that experience a lot of snow - easier to see. Also, they are more aesthetically pleasing than the white shoulders. Just my opinion.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; August 3rd, 2011 at 12:34 AM.
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 01:43 AM   #959
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post

Does anyone know the reason for yellow shoulders?

You want to know the answer? It's not British looking................no really - that's the only reason everyone seems to come up with. Isreal uses it too AFAIK but no other EU country does. I don't think there is any safety argument for or against it. Seems to me to be different just for the sake of being different.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 02:04 AM   #960
DanielFigFoz

That is the reason I think, and the reason for the yellow diamonds too .

I'm surprised that Portugal hasn't done the same thing to be different from Spain