daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #981
Highwaycrazy

Likes (Received): 0

This would have been a better sign for Ireland to adopt:

[IMG]http://t2.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgwyBAq_Fgpg8DOPUUhlWsfwipQJPqFjcEz_Ey2Iqr0LFCAHi_[/IMG]
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #982
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

I still don't understand what so hideous with the Irish sign. And most people from other European countries can understand they should not drive at a road with this sign.

But maybe the Irish version is older than the version we have in rest of Europe?

When did Ireland start to use this one?

When dit the rest of Europe start to use this one?

Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #983
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
This would have been a better sign for Ireland to adopt:

[IMG]
Speaking of hideous.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #984
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
I still don't understand what so hideous with the Irish sign. And most people from other European countries can understand they should not drive at a road with this sign.

But maybe the Irish version is older than the version we have in rest of Europe?

When did Ireland start to use this one?

When dit the rest of Europe start to use this one?
At the invention of one-way roads I guess
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #985
Uppsala

Here is another special sign for Ireland. Compare:

Ireland:

Rest of Europe:

I do not know which one is the best.
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #986
DanielFigFoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx☢Power View Post
Apart from just being aesthetically unpleasing, if I were to encounter that sign (I didn't even know it existed until someone posted it here) it would take me a few headscratching seconds to figure out what it means, and even then it'd just be a guess.

And it is important that people understand unambiguously what this sign means. Driving the wrong way down a one way street could cause a serious accident.

Same thing with this sign. I know what the latter means, the first I could only guess. I know now that they (probably) mean the same, but only because you posted them together.
I think that they are both pretty obvious
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #987
IRELAND

Both no overtaking signs are pretty obvious. I don't know how someone could understand the European one and not the Irish one, if anything the Irish one is easier to understand.

Even though I referred to the No Entry sign as 'hideous', it does work, I haven't heard of anyone driving the wrong way down a one way street because of the sign!
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #988
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:

Ireland:

Rest of Europe:

On the rest of Europe picture these cars are obviously driving away from you. On that Ireland picture, they are either coming towards you, which means you should run, or they are both right-hand drives.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #989
périphérique

Like the no overtaking sign, many existing road signs have not been officially adopted in Ireland. In consequence, the design of these signs is not uniformized.
For example, on some signs, (series of curves, falling rocks crosswinds) the form of the symbol can have differents designs and the angle of the red line on prohibition signs is sometimes aleatory
périphérique no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #990
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

Quote:

Ireland:

Rest of Europe:

There's one mistake: On the rest of Europe we drive on the right, so red and black cars should be swapped.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #991
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
There's one mistake: On the rest of Europe we drive on the right, so red and black cars should be swapped.
So the UK isn't Europe? Malta? Cyprus? (OK, Cyprus is Asian, but it's in the EU, so it's geographically Europe according to them).

And anyway, it makes sense to have the signs directly comparable by having both drive-on-left.

In the UK, when they were bringing in the new standard signs, there were discussions as to whether that No Overtaking sign was clear enough and whether it needed a line through it. The off-centre line didn't help as it looked wrong. For No Cycling and No Pedestrians, etc there are fairly vocal campaigns to add the red bar, as these signs have the least recognition as to what they mean and many people think it's saying the opposite of what it's saying.

The Irish 'No Parking' sign is better IMV than the crossed out blue, as it's intuitive as to what it is. As for the whole 'letter P' is English only, the parking sign in England is a white P in a blue rectangle.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #992
DanielFigFoz

The parking sign in the rest of Europe is a P ina blue square like in the UK, I think, at least it is in Portugal.

Anyway, I don't have an issue with Irish signage, the old no entry sign even makes more sense, and the no overtaking sign probably does to
Old August 12th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #993
Uppsala

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
The parking sign in the rest of Europe is a P ina blue square like in the UK, I think, at least it is in Portugal.

Anyway, I don't have an issue with Irish signage, the old no entry sign even makes more sense, and the no overtaking sign probably does to
The parking sign looks like this in all European countries, and thats means for example Ireland, Portugal, Germany, the UK, France, Sweden and Spain for example.

The different sign is the no parking sign.

In Ireland they look like this.

In rest of Europe they look like this, compare.

I think the Irish version is better. It is more logic with a P in the sign.

And another funny thing is the no stopping sign.

In Ireland they look like this.

In rest of Europe they look like this.

I think the no stopping sign in Ireland are quite similar to the signs in rest of Europe. But I dont know if someone from other countries can missunderstand it?
Old August 12th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #994
sotonsi

In Indonesia, they use S in a circle with a line through it for "no stopping". Their word for stopping doesn't start with S. It's less intuitive than the parking thing though as S isn't as linked with stopping as P is to parking.
Old August 13th, 2011, 12:32 AM   #995
DanielFigFoz

Like in South Africa I think

Quote:
The parking sign looks like this in all European countries, and thats means for example Ireland, Portugal, Germany, the UK, France, Sweden and Spain for example.

In Ireland they have one like their no parking sign but without the line

image hosted on flickr

---

When I was little, i.e not very long ago, (say I was 6 10-11 years ago (, I can remember seeing no entry signs in the UK with "no entry" written on the white stripe, which I haven't seen in a long time , like this:

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; August 13th, 2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old August 13th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #996
Uppsala

The text inside the old UK-sign is interesting.

I think sometimes they are a little bit to obvious in the UK. They sometimes think they must have a text on it and people don't understand the symbol. So they made very European symbols but sometimes they put a text on it too, just so people really can understand.

So look at this UK sign:

Most other countries in Europe don't have any text inside it, but in the UK they have the text GIVE WAY.

But look at this sign from Spain:

Exactly the same symbol, in same colour and everything is the same, but no text on it.

If they take of the text in the UK sign I think there is no problem. The people in the UK know what this sign means, even without the text.

But, back to Ireland again, this thread is about Ireland and not the UK or Spain.

Look at this Irish version of this sign.

Still exactly the same symbol like the UK and Spain. And Ireland are little bit to obvious about it like they are in the UK because they have a text inside it. But now it's the text YIELD, like American English. And the text YIELD is like in the US. But the sign has European style, not American. It's quite interesting Ireland using the American word for this sign and not the British word.

And at last, a sign in Irish language. Now it's called GÉILL SLÍ.

Old August 13th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #997
DanielFigFoz

The British used to use "Yield" and "Halt" but stopped in the 1960s when the new signs came in, the Irish didn't (well they did with "halt").

"Loss of priority" signs in the UK before the 60s were like white boxes that said things like "Halt at the main road", and they kept that, but put it in the triangle, but I guess it was copied from the Americans (the sign) but the road sign people probably didn't want it to be too American so they put "Give Way" instead. In Wales all the give way signs are bilingual and say:

Whereas in Ireland you only get the Géill Slí in the Gaeltacht, where official direction signs are only in Irish, but you still get warning signs in English, because most of the through drivers probably wouldn't understand Irish.

Signs such as the Caution Children blah blah blah which can come in a yellow rectangle comes in English and Irish in the Gaeltacht, rather than just English, although most unofficial signs, e,g put up by workers on private property to say that lorries will come out, are only in English.
Old August 13th, 2011, 03:10 AM   #998
sotonsi

Quote:
The people in the UK know what this sign means, even without the text.
Yes indeed, without the text it's a warning to a Give Way that is ahead, by a distance marked on a supplementary plate underneath. Oh, no plate... confusing! :P
Old August 16th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #999
grogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Does anyone know the reason for yellow shoulders? Personally, I like think white shoulders blend into the countryside better but then again I also think a yellow central diving line is a great way to indicate opposing traffic on roads, as used in North America and elsewhere
That's actually brilliant! I can't count how many times I was wondering what is the traffic direction on the next lane...
grogi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #1000
grogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Maybe it's hideous but I find it logical. Apart from being different from other European countries what's wrong with it?
Very simple thing: the "no entry" and "one way street" look almost the same - same shape, colors and most of the picture. The same applies to "no parking"/"parking" or "no left turn"/"left turn only" signs - the only difference is the little red bar.

Driving can be stressful enough not to add additional difficulties as hard to differentiate signs.
grogi no está en línea   Reply With Quote