daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2012, 01:17 AM   #1041
Bothar.G

Likes (Received): 1

This part of the N4 will soon be grade separated. It was opened in 2001 and ties in with the original Mullingar bypass. At the time, it was called "The Downs Realignment scheme"

Coming off the original Mullingar bypass:

The 2001 section:

These median openings will soon be closed off and replaced with overpasses:

120km/h zone begins here as the M4:
Bothar.G no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2012, 02:59 AM   #1042
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17503

the same sign we have in Brazil, no entry.

xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #1043
Bothar.G

The original Mullingar bypass opened in 1994 and has an underpass linking both Gas Stations on either side:

Old January 30th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #1044
Bothar.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrtn2 View Post

the same sign we have in Brazil, no entry.

Gee. I thought we were the only country adopting them.

Although these 'no entry' signs will soon be replaced according to a previous poster on the thread.
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #1045
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bothar.G View Post
Gee. I thought we were the only country adopting them.

Although these 'no entry' signs will soon be replaced according to a previous poster on the thread.
So sad.

xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 12:05 AM   #1046
Bothar.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrtn2 View Post
So sad.
Only the 'no entry' signs are being replaced to this type of one:

All other signs stay
Old January 31st, 2012, 03:50 PM   #1047
Bothar.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Yep, their merge warning signs are American or "new world".
The U.S merge warning signs are different to Ireland's. From what I can see, the black perimeter line is at the very edge of each diamond sign. The yellow color is also darker on the ones in Ireland.
Old January 31st, 2012, 06:16 PM   #1048
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bothar.G View Post
The U.S merge warning signs are different to Ireland's. From what I can see, the black perimeter line is at the very edge of each diamond sign. The yellow color is also darker on the ones in Ireland.
Do anyone have pictures of Irish and American warning signs so we can compare them?
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 07:50 PM   #1049
Bothar.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
Do anyone have pictures of Irish and American warning signs so we can compare them?
It's difficult to find an entire list of both because some are missing or they don't show the entire fleet of signs.

One example is the merging traffic sign. In the U.S, they appear to have two different types of merging sign:

In Ireland, this sign appears:

There are slight differences. That said, I have seen the second sign on the Mullingar bypass when I was heading westbound.
Old February 1st, 2012, 02:23 AM   #1050
shpirtkosova
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Warning signs in Ireland should be red triangles!!!
shpirtkosova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 02:54 AM   #1051
Bothar.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The current N6 for example is mostly dual carriageway with large roundabouts. They could make some dive-unders. You don't need a 100 meter wide ROW to get a high-standard road. It's cheaper to relocate a few businesses than to build a completely new alignment that is only a solution for 5 - 10% of the traffic.

By the way Galway seems to have seen significant development in the past decade.
They are presently building signalized intersections in Galway. It's disappointing they took the cheaper option this time due to financial constraints and inefficiencies. They removed two roundabouts recently replacing them with traffic lights. The most recent opened on December 8th at Briarhill:

They plan to remove the Bodkin roundabout, Font roundabout (Tuam Road) and Morris roundabout (Ballybane). Traffic is expected to be severe during this construction. Work will start in March.

Plans for the Morris roundabout:
Old February 1st, 2012, 04:38 AM   #1052
Uppsala

One thing I dont understand is why they most of the times only have the text "Yield" at the give way sign. They should have the text "Géill Slí" at them too. Most of the signs in Ireland are written in two languages. And I know there are groups in Ireland who are working hard to really keep the Irish language. So I think the give way signs should have text on both languages. Or maybe make it easier, take of the text and only have the signs without text like most other countries in Europe.
Old February 1st, 2012, 02:32 PM   #1053
Bothar.G

They do have "Géill Slí" on some roundabouts and intersections across the country, sometimes both. I do agree it should be Géill Slí all of the time. I think the "Yield" is to help our American tourists and expats from America. There are cultural differences in European countries, btw.
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:19 PM   #1054
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
One thing I dont understand is why they most of the times only have the text "Yield" at the give way sign. They should have the text "Géill Slí" at them too. Most of the signs in Ireland are written in two languages. And I know there are groups in Ireland who are working hard to really keep the Irish language. So I think the give way signs should have text on both languages. Or maybe make it easier, take of the text and only have the signs without text like most other countries in Europe.
Too much text I think, to fit in a little triangle and, signs like 'CAUTION CHILDREN CROSSING' are in English only as well, as are many signs up up by roadworkers and a few of the brown tourism signs, like this:

DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:05 PM   #1055
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
One thing I dont understand is why they most of the times only have the text "Yield" at the give way sign. They should have the text "Géill Slí" at them too. Most of the signs in Ireland are written in two languages. And I know there are groups in Ireland who are working hard to really keep the Irish language. So I think the give way signs should have text on both languages.
No, it absolutely should not Uppsala. You do not understand how complex this issue is. A small number of Irish people want more Irish on signs for political (not practical) reasons, but most of them ignore it or find it annoying. There are people pushing and pulling here and you should not get involved in the fight.
In the case of a warning sign we want less, not more, text. Personally I would not have any Irish on signs at all (since it is only put there for political reasons), but that's my opinion.
There are far more Polish and Lithuanian speakers in Ireland than Irish speakers. Also many people living in the Gaeltacht (Irish-speaking area) do not actually speak Irish!
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:54 PM   #1056
Bothar.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
No, it absolutely should not Uppsala. You do not understand how complex this issue is. A small number of Irish people want more Irish on signs for political (not practical) reasons, but most of them ignore it or find it annoying. There are people pushing and pulling here and you should not get involved in the fight.
In the case of a warning sign we want less, not more, text. Personally I would not have any Irish on signs at all (since it is only put there for political reasons), but that's my opinion.
There are far more Polish and Lithuanian speakers in Ireland than Irish speakers. Also many people living in the Gaeltacht (Irish-speaking area) do not actually speak Irish!
I wasn't "pushing and pulling". I actually think there is a big cultural difference between people in Dublin and the rest of this country. The phrase "dublin jackeen" or "west brit" is sometimes used to describe Dublin people with such superior views. On the Highway signs, I do in fact share the consensus about too much font. But that is because (in my opinion), they are placing too many secondary locations instead of primary ones. It is also because of the size of the sign being too small.
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:17 PM   #1057
Uppsala

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Too much text I think, to fit in a little triangle and, signs like 'CAUTION CHILDREN CROSSING' are in English only as well, as are many signs up up by roadworkers and a few of the brown tourism signs, like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
Yes I can understand it's to much text on the sign if they put the both languages on them.

And I know Irish is a very small language. Most people don't understand it. But I also know there are people who think the Irish language is a very important part of the Irish identity.

But why not make this "problem" very easy instead? Why not have signs without text? Most other European countries dont have any text on those signs. And all people know what they means.

Look here:

If they had those signs without text in Ireland too, I think all Irish people know what the signs means in Ireland too, if people can understand them in rest of Europe. And if they have tham without text they should be more neutral with the languages in Ireland. So why don't they make this thing easy?
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:40 AM   #1058
Bothar.G

If it works, don't fix it
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:49 AM   #1059
etchy

Quote:
3. Junctions are called "Exit".
No. Junctions are called junctions. The part of the junction that you use to exit the road (i.e. off ramp/slip road) is called the exit. In reality both terms are used interchangeably, but on traffic reports and for giving directions, you'll generally hear junction.

For example:
National Roads Authority travel time info
AA Roadwatch - the main provider of traffic information

On both of the above websites you'll notice that junctions are referred to as Jx (the J standing for Junction, if that's not obvious).It's worth noting that the term Exit is not particularly American in any case, as it's widely used in the UK too, albeit not written on signs like in Ireland.

It's true that there is some use of American terms in Ireland, but this is quite limited, and certainly not as much as some posters here would seem to imply. I don't know if Bothar.G has some kind of point to make in persistently using terms such as freéway and divided highway (at one stage actually avoiding the use of the word motorway by referring to it as a "120km/h zone as M4"), but virtually nobody uses those words in Ireland. They are dual carriageways and motorways.

As for merge signs, on sections of motorway with more than two lanes in each direction, more complex signs are required. So you'll see signs like this. Anyone who's really interested in seeing more Irish signs can view the 2010 Traffic Signs Manual (TSM).

xrtn2, Irish mandatory and prohibitory signs used to be almost exactly the same as the Brazilian ones, but for the last ten years or so, mandatory signs have gradually started turning blue, in accordance with those used in the rest of Europe. The blue signs became the only official mandatory signs in the 2010 TSM, which I've linked to above.

The 2010 TSM also introduced the switch to European-style No Entry signs. This change is going to be very gradual, with both types coexisting during the changeover, so the majority of them will stay the same as Brazil for a good few years to come.

Last edited by etchy; February 3rd, 2012 at 12:59 AM.
etchy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:15 AM   #1060
Bothar.G

No need to be pedantic about me, Etchy. We speak the same language but your unprofessional grammar police style correction is immature, unwarranted and unnecessary. Btw, in the traffic reports on the radio or T.V, you will more than often hear the word "exit" being used. There are many different people who don't fit into your stereotype and you are wrong to box them into the one category of your preference. The word "Highway" is often used in lawsuits across Ireland. It must therefore have some relevance.