daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:39 AM   #1061
Bothar.G

Likes (Received): 1

Also, the blue mandatory signs have already been in place for almost 15 years now:

They are regulated under

S.I. No. 181/1997 — Road Traffic (Signs) Regulations, 1997

• Sign No. RUS 011 is being completely replaced.
  • Sign No. RUS 018 is sometimes used in tandem with this type of one:

The yellow diamond shaped signs stay and theres no consensus to replace them. It's very unlikely the Government would replace them with triangle signs.
Bothar.G no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:07 AM   #1062
Bothar.G

In Galway, the Seamus Quirke Road upgrade was meant to be completed by now but because the City Council didn't include a penalty clause in their contract with Coffey construction, the scheme is currently running 5 million EUR over budget. The estimated cost of the scheme was 10.3 million EUR. Right now, that figure has risen to 15.5 million EUR. It's still a work in progress but it's been extremely slow and under-staffed during most of 2011. Work seems to have moved up a gear during the past 3 months. In the meantime, the City Council is proposing to apply for an additional 8 million EUR loan to complete the project. They anticipate the scheme will be completed in March - more than four months behind schedule.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 03:54 AM   #1063
etchy

Bothar.G, my post isn't really addressed at you. You're more than welcome to use whatever language you like. I'm just explaining to other posters from abroad, who seem to be interested, that the language you use isn't at all representative of the road-related terms used in Ireland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bothar.G View Post
unprofessional
I'm not in work

Quote:
grammar police style correction
Not really correcting your grammar, just pointing out that you're choice of words is odd.

Quote:
is immature, unwarranted and unnecessary.
Probably not necessary, but warranted, maybe, definitely relevant to the conversation at hand in any case. I don't really think maturity comes into it, not really sure what you mean by that.

Quote:
Btw, in the traffic reports on the radio or T.V, you will more than often hear the word "exit" being used.
Actually in my experience you'll more often than not hear Junction. That's almost always the word AA Roadwatch use, which is why I posted their website as an example.

Quote:
There are many different people who don't fit into your stereotype
It's not really a stereotype, as you'll note I did qualify my statements by saying that use of American terms is limited, not nonexistent.

Quote:
and you are wrong to box them into the one category of your preference.
I wasn't really talking about my preference, just the reality of the language used in this country.

Quote:
The word "Highway" is often used in lawsuits across Ireland. It must therefore have some relevance.
Absolutely, "highway" is a legal term referring to roads open to the public. As you've pointed out, it's usually only used in a legal context. It is not used to refer to large multi-lane roads like it would generally be in American English. For those roads we would say "dual carriageway" or "motorway"

I didn't know that about the blue signs, thanks for pointing it out.
etchy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:01 AM   #1064
etchy

Quote:
The yellow diamond shaped signs stay and theres no consensus to replace them. It's very unlikely the Government would replace them with triangle signs.
Agreed, they would cost a fortune to replace and they're better than red triangles anyway. They're covered in the Vienna Convention, there's more space for a warning image in a diamond than a triangle, and the yellow is more attention grabbing.

Various mainland European people who keep wading into this thread to say Ireland should change its signs to match the rest of Europe seem to have a strange OCD-esque obsession with standardization.
etchy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:09 AM   #1065
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchy View Post
Various mainland European people who keep wading into this thread to say Ireland should change its signs to match the rest of Europe seem to have a strange OCD-esque obsession with standardization.
The UK thread has similar Borg-assimilation attempts over the UK having non-metric signs.

Quirks and differences should be celebrated, not seen as something bad.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:58 AM   #1066
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17485

[QUOTE=Bothar.G;88178519]Also, the blue mandatory signs have already been in place for almost 15 years now:

[\QUOTE]

This is the currently mandatory signs in Brazil, Ireland followed that standard ??

Old February 4th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #1067
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Some of them are used in Ireland
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #1068
Bothar.G

The Dublin Port Tunnel is making a loss of 5 million EUR a year, despite a 10% rise in traffic:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfqlqlqlkfau/rss2/

So have they reduced the tolls enough to get a marginal increase in car traffic or it is because car registrations have increased? Can someone clarify? Thx.
Old February 5th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #1069
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Trucks are usually a major source of toll income. I also wonder if that € 15 million figure operational costs include debt. 15,000 vehicles per day is also not much.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #1070
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Trucks are usually a major source of toll income. I also wonder if that € 15 million figure operational costs include debt. 15,000 vehicles per day is also not much.
The 12 euro each way charge on weekdays for cars is the reason for that. They should really reduce it to get more out of it.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #1071
Bothar.G

And with Irish truckers now refuelling in Luxemburg, it's gonna bite the Government real hard. Tolls have risen so has VAT since the beginning of 2012. Gasoline has gone through the roof. I'm so glad I gave up my car in November. I find the bus soooo much cheaper than paying 1.51 EUR a liter not to mention road tax, vehicle inspection/NCT, car insurance and traffic madness.

I've no plans to go back driving and think these new highways will be ghost-highways soon. Prices are just crazy and unsustainable for a country like Ireland where people aren't used to savage cuts.
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #1072
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2181

Widening of the M1 north of Dublin begun in the last few days, exit 4 is also being reconfigured

Quote:
Work on 3rd lane of M1 from Drinan (J3) to Lissenhall (J4) begins on 25th of January

Construction of an additional lane in each direction of the M1 between Junction 3 (Drinan) and Junction 4 (Lissenhall) is due to start on Wednesday 25th January next.

The works will be carried out in the central median from the northern end of the current M1 Lane Improvement Scheme and construction is expected to be completed by the end of November 2012.

Upgrade works will also be carried out at the Lissenhall Junction starting in February and lasting approximately five months.

Statutory speed limits will be in operation during the works and drivers are expected to observe these reduced speed limits at all times and to drive with extra caution in the vicinity of the road works.

Fingal County Council regrets any inconvenience or delays this work will cause to motorists.
Information

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/Schem...oposed3rdLane/

You can observe progress on traffic cameras

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #1073
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 233

Question:

When traveling on road between Dublin (Republic of Ireland) and Belfast (Northern Ireland) via M1/N1 roadway, are there any immigration and/or border control facilities along the route??? (i.e. to check passports of foreign tourists who are outside EU)

I ask this because I didn't see any while checking Google Maps (or maybe I didn't search well enough). And at first I found it odd since Republic of Ireland has their own visa requirements

If there *really* is no border control, then I guess I can fly from Heathrow Airport (London), land at Belfast International and take a land vehicle to get to Dublin without having my passport checked??? (rather than using Heathrow and landing at Dublin Airport where they will check my passport)

Just curious
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #1074
sotonsi

No permanent border controls between the UK and Republic of Islands (and Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man) form a common travel area.

Flying across the Irish Sea will require a passport (unless you happen to have an EU driving licence, but even then they prefer passports). But yes, you can then, at Belfast, go to Dublin without getting your passport checked.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #1075
MattN

Likes (Received): 91

I flew to Belfast with Bmibaby at the weekend, no problems with a driving licence. They do clearly state that they accept any valid form of photographic ID, which you would expect for a domestic flight. According to Wikipedia, Ryanair demand passports for Common Travel Area flights but driving licences should be fine otherwise. Good job really, otherwise the CTA wouldn't have much relevance! I noticed they had a separate door for domestic and CTA arrivals at East Midlands Airport but presumably that's because different controls are needed, since for those not from CTA countries it wouldn't count as a 'domestic' flight.

Obviously if you are from the Philippines this won't apply, I'm just speaking generally. The 'Republic of Islands' sounds quite odd though, are we all unifying?
MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 03:24 PM   #1076
Bothar.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Question:

When traveling on road between Dublin (Republic of Ireland) and Belfast (Northern Ireland) via M1/N1 roadway, are there any immigration and/or border control facilities along the route??? (i.e. to check passports of foreign tourists who are outside EU)

I ask this because I didn't see any while checking Google Maps (or maybe I didn't search well enough). And at first I found it odd since Republic of Ireland has their own visa requirements

If there *really* is no border control, then I guess I can fly from Heathrow Airport (London), land at Belfast International and take a land vehicle to get to Dublin without having my passport checked??? (rather than using Heathrow and landing at Dublin Airport where they will check my passport)

Just curious
No, That's wrong. There are daily inspections on Buses, Trains and some checkpoints by Immigration officials.

You wouldn't be able to live in the Republic because you need a social security number to rent (all landlords must officially register their tenants), you cannot work legally and there is a huge crackdown on any work that's done off the books. Tax officials/inspectors would find you very quickly. Most immigrants are actually leaving Ireland because there are no jobs here. The cost of living is very expensive also. It's very similar to the situation in Greece.
Old February 8th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #1077
Bothar.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
But yes, you can then, at Belfast, go to Dublin without getting your passport checked.
I got checked when I traveled from Belfast last month. I have also been checked on some other roads coming from the 6 counties.
Old February 8th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #1078
Blackraven

Ah I see.

Anyways, I'm reading your replies and responses and I'm trying to think about this as well.

But the question remains: As a foreign tourist (from the Philippines), would I still need to apply for an Irish tourist visa to legally enter into Dublin? (just a UK Tourist Visa and an EU Schengen Visa)

Or can I just use the 'loophole': Rent car from Belfast Airport->travel along M1/N1 roadway->enter into Dublin?

since there are no immigration or border controls after all when driving an automobile (on M1/N1)

Still possible?
Old February 8th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #1079
Bothar.G

Well, I recently got checked when I was driving my car from Belfast on the M1. They can stop you through various ways. Both Government's are now sharing info, btw.
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #1080
Blackraven

Quote:

Well, I recently got checked when I was driving my car from Belfast on the M1. They can stop you through various ways. Both Government's are now sharing info, btw.
Yikes, so looks like there no choice then. I'll really need to get a tourist visa when visiting the Republic of Ireland.

Anyways, I forgot that we were off-topic. I guess it's time to get back to discussion on-hand.

How about this one: The Atlantic Corridor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Corridor