daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #1081
etchy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
As a foreign tourist (from the Philippines), would I still need to apply for an Irish tourist visa to legally enter into Dublin? (just a UK Tourist Visa and an EU Schengen Visa)
If you are, as I assume, a citizen of the Philippines, then unfortunately you need a separate Irish visa.

However, the Irish government relatively recently introduced a waiver for some UK visa holders from Belarus, Montenegro, the Russian Federation, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, India, Kazakhstan, the People's Republic of China and Uzbekistan. Details here.
etchy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #1082
Bothar.G

There's really no point coming to Ireland because there are no jobs and the country is heavily in debt like Greece. Really, I don't see why it's "unfortunate" for someone to go through the legal process like anyone else. There would be better prospects in the UK than living in Ireland.
Bothar.G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #1083
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

I think he wants to visit Ireland not move to Ireland
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 12:53 AM   #1084
Bothar.G

Driving from Dublin to Waterford via Highway 7 & 9. The width of this video was slightly stretched to fill the 2:39 duration, but I hope the quality is OK.

Old February 11th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #1085
etchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bothar.G View Post
There's really no point coming to Ireland because there are no jobs and the country is heavily in debt like Greece.
The poster in question has actually said that they're a tourist, visiting mainland Europe and the UK. What a tremendous encouragement you've provided to them to come and spend some money in our heavily indebted economy. "No point coming" indeed.

Quote:
Really, I don't see why it's "unfortunate" for someone to go through the legal process like anyone else.
It's unfortunate from Blackraven's point of view as it's a pain to apply for a third visa for his/her European trip.

It's unfortunate from an Irish point of view as a tourist who might otherwise have casually dropped over to Ireland for a couple of days while spending time in the Europe and the UK may be put off by the additional hassle of acquiring a third visa in addition to their UK and Schengen visas.

In posting on this thread Blackraven has demonstrated to us the attitude of many potential Asian and Southeast Asian tourists. They're not going to fly all the way over to Europe purely to visit Ireland. They may visit Ireland as part of a wider trip to Europe or the UK, but it's not the be all and end all of their trip. Having to get a separate visa for the UK is already a pain, stretching that to a third for Ireland means lots of people just won't bother.

The government has addressed this to an extent by bringing in the visa waiver programme for the countries I mentioned above. They've obviously made a decision that it's not worth the risk of extending this to certain other countries and I'm sure it's for good reasons. But from a potential Filipino tourist's point of view it is, as I said, unfortunate.

Quote:
Driving from Dublin to Waterford via M7 & M9. The width of this video was slightly stretched to fill the 2:39 duration, but I hope the quality is OK.

FYP. As I said in an earlier post, you are of course entitled to use whatever language you like, but renaming roads is another kettle of fish. The M7 and M9 are simply not called Highways 7 and 9. End of.
Old February 11th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #1086
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by etchy View Post
FYP. As I said in an earlier post, you are of course entitled to use whatever language you like, but renaming roads is another kettle of fish. The M7 and M9 are simply not called Highways 7 and 9. End of.
That video has non-motorway parts of N7 and N9 (as well as part of the motorway part of N7 - on signs and in common parlance as M7, and the whole of the motorway part of N9 - commonly referred to as M9).

Whether N7 and N9 are called 'highways 7 and 9', rather than National routes is a different matter, but while odd-sounding, conveys the meaning and isn't factually correct (as calling non-motorway roads motorways is), thus is perfectly acceptable - while not, perhaps, best usage - English.

Plus there's some R Roads in Waterford that got totally ignored!
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #1087
etchy

Sotonsi, I'm not referring to common parlance or best usage English. I'm referring to the actual names of the roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
That video has non-motorway parts of N7 and N9
Indeed it does, but I was ignoring those, as the majority of the video is M7/M9, and as other roads appear too.

Quote:
(as well as part of the motorway part of N7 - on signs and in common parlance as M7, and the whole of the motorway part of N9 - commonly referred to as M9).
You're muddying the waters by referring to the M7 and M9 as "the motorway part of N7/N9". You are of course correct in legal terms, but such a way of thinking only exists in legislation.

The term "common parlance" is open to interpretation I suppose, but I think in using it you understate the extent to which M7 and M9 are correct. Mx is, to all intents and purposes, official. It is used in all contexts except legislation.

Quote:
Whether N7 and N9 are called 'highways 7 and 9', rather than National routes is a different matter, but while odd-sounding, conveys the meaning and isn't factually correct (as calling non-motorway roads motorways is), thus is perfectly acceptable - while not, perhaps, best usage - English.
Bothar.G does not use the term "highway 7 and 9" in order to avoid the rather awkward N7/M7/M9/N9 construction (which, at a stretch, might be some kind of reasonable justification, although I would disagree), but rather because of a strange habit this poster seems to have of avoiding the official terms used to describe roads in Ireland.

Last edited by etchy; February 11th, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #1088
Bothar.G

Quote:

but rather because of a strange habit this poster seems to have of avoiding the official terms used to describe roads in Ireland.
Hey etchy,

don't feed the stereotype troll. I've a hunch that's another comment dead-on and well written. All I can do in contribution is extend kudos! Makes a man reconsider posting any further

Last edited by Bothar.G; February 11th, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old February 11th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #1089
Bothar.G

Quote:
but renaming roads is another kettle of fish. The M7 and M9 are simply not called Highways 7 and 9. End of.
Super comment - reflects a lot of well founded pre-thought. Your reply to this is mind 'bottling'. Let's see, where do I start? OK, (as almost an aside) the shear quantity and volume of comments you have posted on this subject suggests, very strongly, a conditional characteristic you have cavalierly corrected others herein - obsessive zealotry. Far-fetched? - maybe - or maybe not, but humor me on this one and try to agree to differ. Remember, the scenario I painted is well within the freedom of choice available to the SSC community.
Old February 11th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #1090
etchy

Bothar.G, I genuinely cannot understand most of either of your last two posts. You seem to be having problems understanding how to use some of the bigger words.
Old February 11th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #1091
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Didn't we go down this road last summer?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #1092
Bothar.G

Quote:
Bothar.G, I genuinely cannot understand most of either of your last two posts. You seem to be having problems understanding how to use some of the bigger words.
I like this denominations: Motorways, Highways, and the biggest world problem, the STUUPIIDS…
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #1093
Highwaycrazy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Driving from Dublin to Waterford via Highway 7 & 9. The width of this video was slightly stretched to fill the 2:39 duration, but I hope the quality is OK.

Interesting to see the Waterford - Dublin highway. I feel like I just saw
Houston or LA. This sure is different than the Ireland I last saw a good
while back. Folks who have never been on a US Interstate highway, you have
seen what they are like. Great way to show how Ireland has come along.
Ireland has very very good highways, and trust me i drove cross the states from south carolina to santa monica Ca, but the Irish highways are
GREAT. Thank you for the video.
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #1094
etchy

Quote:
I like this denominations: Motorways, Highways, and the biggest world problem, the STUUPIIDS…
You have demonstrated precious little ability to directly address the points that others make or to engage with a discussion in any meaningful way (not to mention very little grasp of the English language) so I'm going to just leave it there.

Last edited by etchy; February 11th, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old February 11th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #1095
Bothar.G

Thanks for the compliment Highwaycrazy. It's good to know some people on this forum can be more constructive in their comments. I wish that we had the Naas Road section redesignated a 120km/h Highway like the rest.
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #1096
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 850

Well, this is embarrassing...

Quote:
RSA issues motorway driving booklet
Updated: 20:09, Monday, 13 February 2012

The Motorway Driving Booklet is aimed at helping drivers use motorways safely

The Road Safety Authority has said driving in the wrong direction on motorways and roundabouts is now a daily occurrence.

The authority has issued new safety advice to drivers and urged some to take special lessons after an increase in serious or fatal incidents on the nation's roads.

The Motorway Driving Booklet is aimed at helping drivers use motorways safely.

As part of its campaign the RSA has also encouraged drivers unfamiliar with motorways or roundabouts to consider taking special lessons with an approved instructor to brush up on their skills.

Ireland's national road network has grown to 5,515 kilometres, which includes 1,187km of motorway network.

"This changing road environment may pose challenges for some drivers who have no previous experience of driving on a motorway," said RSA Chief Executive Noel Brett.

"It is very important that people understand the Rules of the Road when driving on motorways or using roundabouts."

Story from RTÉ News:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0213/driving.html
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #1097
Bothar.G

The RSA puts in a huge amount of effort promoting safety and I can recall their recent T.V advert saying people should enter a roundabout on the left. I've often seen people driving through mini-roundabouts.

There is also a major problem with drivers using their phone without a hands free device. I see that nearly every hour on the streets and beyond. In traffic, you will often see drivers texting behind the wheel. If the Gardaí were to begin a crackdown on this, they would collect massive revenue for future road schemes.
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #1098
Bothar.G

N5 Charlestown bypass going eastbound (opened in 2007):

N17 Overpass:

Last edited by Bothar.G; February 21st, 2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:48 PM   #1099
Highwaycrazy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

Thanks for the compliment Highwaycrazy. It's good to know some people on this forum can be more constructive in their comments. I wish that we had the Naas Road section redesignated a 120km/h Highway like the rest.

I presume it has to do with lack of funds and/or insufficient traffic levels. In general, though, road construction is an ongoing non-stop process in Ireland, with many 2-lane sections being upgraded and then, in turn, many roundabouts being replaced; these highways converted to interchanges. For this reason, the number of roads in Ireland classified as true highways is relatively low at the moment, but many other roads provide a very highway-like driving experience.
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:42 AM   #1100
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
For this reason, the number of roads in Ireland classified as true highways is relatively low at the moment, but many other roads provide a very highway-like driving experience.
By "highway" do you mean freeway, motorway, expressway?
If yes it seems like strange choice of word. Highway just means road, doesn't it?
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote