daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 02:55 AM   #1101
Bothar.G

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
I presume it has to do with lack of funds and/or insufficient traffic levels. In general, though, road construction is an ongoing non-stop process in Ireland, with many 2-lane sections being upgraded and then, in turn, many roundabouts being replaced; these highways converted to interchanges. For this reason, the number of roads in Ireland classified as true highways is relatively low at the moment, but many other roads provide a very highway-like driving experience.
Technically it's still possible. The Naas Road could be upgraded to 120km/h if they installed guardrails and screens bordering certain buildings such as the one on the right:

Alternatively, they would issue a compulsary purchase order (CPO) to demolish them. They would also need to re-engineer some of the entrance and exit ramps. They would have to close some or else build new ones on stilts to overcome the 90 degree turn:

Last edited by Bothar.G; March 5th, 2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Pics resized
Bothar.G no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2012, 07:03 PM   #1102
Highwaycrazy

Likes (Received): 0

I'm in love with how Ireland designs those super long exit and entry ramps on the new highways. If you were to have Newlands Cross a 120 kmh free flow section, they would probably need to build a really long overpass on pillars at the M50-N7 interchange. Some of those ramps would need to be about as high as the buildings next to the interchange. As for the rest they could take some of the median which would narrow it. But they definitely have the space to accommodate more upgrades. The highest speed limit on the Naas Road is 100 kmh, most highways if not all are 120 kmh, however most people dont drive that, i would guess it flows at a average speed of about 75 kmh on this freeway during non congested hours.
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 07:05 PM   #1103
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

(my..space..bar..is..broken!)Preferred..design..selected..for..M8/N25..interchange..in..Cork....Dig..in!

http://www.n8n25dunkettle.ie/display.html

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #1104
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19209

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
(my..space..bar..is..broken!)Preferred..design..selected..for..M8/N25..interchange..in..Cork....Dig..in!

http://www.n8n25dunkettle.ie/display.html
Thanks.

It looks interesting.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #1105
Bothar.G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
I'm in love with how Ireland designs those super long exit and entry ramps on the new highways. If you were to have Newlands Cross a 120 kmh free flow section, they would probably need to build a really long overpass on pillars at the M50-N7 interchange. Some of those ramps would need to be about as high as the buildings next to the interchange. As for the rest they could take some of the median which would narrow it. But they definitely have the space to accommodate more upgrades. The highest speed limit on the Naas Road is 100 kmh, most highways if not all are 120 kmh, however most people dont drive that, i would guess it flows at a average speed of about 75 kmh on this freeway during non congested hours.
I think that local elected leaders want a shift in our nation’s transportation policy. First and foremost — and particularly in a time of tightening budgets — they want to prioritize repairing and maintaining what we’ve already built. I think the Naas Road from Newlands Cross to Highway 9 should be 3 lanes by utilizing some of the wide median on Highway 7. The Naas Road drops from 3 lanes to 2 lanes at exit 9. This area is manic for heavy traffic and tailbacks during peak hours and beyond. The Newlands Cross interchange seems to be a short-medium term solution but definitely room to go further.

But new capacity projects across all modes are now leanly pursued more strategically, according to economic merit rather than default. Under the current transportation program, we make priority small things for new tarmac, drainage, new signs, bridge repairs.

They would place a lower priority on building new roads. Local budgets have been severely squeezed over the last 3 years and it is becoming increasingly difficult just to maintain the existing roads and transit systems. Building new roads just looks unattainable at the moment. Furthermore, as urban density increases, it is obvious that we need to move people more efficiently and need more capacity on our transit systems. Despite these facts, one-size-fits-all funding and policy paradigms will not address the diverse range of problems facing transportation infrastructure in all regions of the country. We need flexible, sustainable solutions that meet the needs of different populations, environments and geographies, and local economies. In many cities that answer is definitely shoring up existing assets and expanding transit.
Old February 26th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #1106
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Actually, Etchy has a point. Your Americanism (Highway 7) is somehow odd. You know you're in Europe, right?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #1107
Highwaycrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bothar.G View Post
I think that local elected leaders want a shift in our nation’s transportation policy. First and foremost — and particularly in a time of tightening budgets — they want to prioritize repairing and maintaining what we’ve already built. I think the Naas Road from Newlands Cross to Highway 9 should be 3 lanes by utilizing some of the wide median on Highway 7. The Naas Road drops from 3 lanes to 2 lanes at exit 9. This area is manic for heavy traffic and tailbacks during peak hours and beyond. The Newlands Cross interchange seems to be a short-medium term solution but definitely room to go further.

But new capacity projects across all modes are now leanly pursued more strategically, according to economic merit rather than default. Under the current transportation program, we make priority small things for new tarmac, drainage, new signs, bridge repairs.

They would place a lower priority on building new roads. Local budgets have been severely squeezed over the last 3 years and it is becoming increasingly difficult just to maintain the existing roads and transit systems. Building new roads just looks unattainable at the moment. Furthermore, as urban density increases, it is obvious that we need to move people more efficiently and need more capacity on our transit systems. Despite these facts, one-size-fits-all funding and policy paradigms will not address the diverse range of problems facing transportation infrastructure in all regions of the country. We need flexible, sustainable solutions that meet the needs of different populations, environments and geographies, and local economies. In many cities that answer is definitely shoring up existing assets and expanding transit.

If the Irish economic recovery gains further momentum, I had something like this in mind for the M50-N7 interchange:

The alternative could be pillars on both sides. This route could go above Newlands Cross and be a long-term solution alleviating daily traffic like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoF1mY6RAbs

If necessary, they would also be able to extend much further west too. That would leave the Naas Road underneath and the new 120 kmh highway above. Rising traffic congestion is an inescapable condition on this route because it connects 3 cities and other towns or villages. I hope the U.S will facilitate and enhance economic assistance to Ireland.

Last edited by Highwaycrazy; February 26th, 2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Youtube
Old February 27th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #1108
Bothar.G

Thank you my friend for this recommendation, I like it. They should definitely consider it and I hope they do. The planning process here is sometimes inconsistent but hopefully they will reform. Try driving down through here around 4 p.m, you'll go from 100km/h to 0 in a hurry. The 'car culture' really puts a damper on all of it.

Down in Cork, it was beginning to look very similar until they started upgrading it:

Last edited by Bothar.G; March 5th, 2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Pics resized
Old February 29th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #1109
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 260

Can people please STOP posting links to extremely large images? It is very hard to view these.

Can we stop having the endless "UK vs. Ireland" argument. It is really boring at this stage.

Bother G, you idea about widening the M7 as far as the M9 is going to happen very soon. When the M1 widening at Swords is finished in November 2012 they will start the M7 shortly after, maybe in 2013 or 2014.

Geogregor, yes I agree the Dunkettle M8/N25 junction will be interesting, but very controversial is that the movement M8 (top of junction) to N8 (west of junction) is not allowed for! Here in Ireland we are annoyed about this on the discussion groups. This is one of the most important moves in the junction and means that if you drive from Dublin to Cork you will still have to stop at traffic lights.
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:06 AM   #1110
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
Geogregor, yes I agree the Dunkettle M8/N25 junction will be interesting, but very controversial is that the movement M8 (top of junction) to N8 (west of junction) is not allowed for! Here in Ireland we are annoyed about this on the discussion groups. This is one of the most important moves in the junction and means that if you drive from Dublin to Cork you will still have to stop at traffic lights.
I've seen discussion on Boards.ie and Irish Skyscrapercity (I do follow a lot of threads about Ireland
My guess is that authorities want to discourage that particular route into Cork to avoid to much traffic on the N8 into city center, which later becomes 1x1 road.
If it is good or bad policy I don't know.
Old March 3rd, 2012, 06:03 PM   #1111
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 260

I've created a map that animates over time the development of the major roads in Ireland.
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 06:20 PM   #1112
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

Very nice

Maybe you should consider claiming your own domain name. ideasforcheapstuff.com doesn't exactly say "info about Irish motorways".
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:29 PM   #1113
etchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
I've created a map that animates over time the development of the major roads in Ireland.
Very nice, and obviously had a lot of hard work put into it. Some sections of road there whose opening dates I had no idea of.

One tiny thing, if you don't mind, is that I wouldn't colour N3 J1-J4 as red. Although it's wide median with good junctions, it's got a couple of direct accesses that mean it's not quite up to motorway standard.
etchy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 02:16 AM   #1114
odlum833

Here is a clip from youtube in the last couple of days of a drive around parts of south Dublin alot of which is on the M50 (from 4:20)

Old April 19th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #1115
odlum833

Video of crossing the border from south (Republic) to north (UK)

Most obvious change is the yellow hard shoulder turns white when in the North.

Old April 20th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #1116
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Video of crossing the border from south (Republic) to north (UK)

Most obvious change is the yellow hard shoulder turns white when in the North.
Why dont they have a sign that tells about you pass a border. A sign like this one?

Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 04:05 AM   #1117
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
Why dont they have a sign that tells about you pass a border. A sign like this one?
Due to some, let say, "historical disagreements" they would be quickly devastated.
If I'm not wrong they tried to sign the borders couple of years ago but most signs didn't survive for long.
Old April 20th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #1118
Highwaycrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
Because it's a disputed territory that most outsiders (and indeed some west brits) don't understand. The local council would possibly refuse to erect those signs.
Old June 25th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #1119
Bothar.G

Random shots from the Gort bypass:

Old June 25th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #1120
geogregor

I see that Irish summer is almost as good as British summer