daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #1181
Angulo

Likes (Received): 3662

Quote:
Show me a better motorway as this one in Poland.
With pleasure.
http://www.kocjan.pl/displayimage-82-0.html
A1 in Silesia with A1/A4 interchange.
Angulo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #1182
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angulo View Post
With pleasure.
This is definitely a good motorway and junction, I know it well and use it regularly.
But the whole discussion started from your post post:

Quote:
In Poland we have more more better motorways.
What that suppose to mean? You posted it as a replay to someone who simply appreciated M50. No one mentioned Poland and then you come with your silly childish comment. Why? What for?
This is thread about Irish motorways no Irish vs Polish or any other.

Coming back to M50, it is a good motorway. It is not perfect but you have to consider that it was upgraded in limited land footprint so obviously it was impossible to build junctions covering hectares like on Polish A1/A4 junction.
And still, M50 handles very big ADDT rather well.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #1183
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

Some snaps around some interchanges. Due to the fact it's an urban motorway space is at a premium at interchanges. If anything this is a very big design challenge.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596

Last edited by odlum833; November 9th, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #1184
csd

Likes (Received): 49

M11 Arklow - Rathnew now pushed back to February...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...327258708.html
csd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #1185
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post
M11 Arklow - Rathnew now pushed back to February...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...327258708.html
I hope they will eventually start all the three PPP projects mentioned in the article. I guess it would help Irish construction sector as there is not much building going on at the moment.
The only meaningful active road project I can think about are the flyovers on the Cork south bypass.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 05:31 AM   #1186
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I hope they will eventually start all the three PPP projects mentioned in the article. I guess it would help Irish construction sector as there is not much building going on at the moment.
The only meaningful active road project I can think about are the flyovers on the Cork south bypass.
If all goes well, the PPP projects will start:
M11 Wicklow/N7 Newlands Cross: March 2013
M17/M18 Gort to Tuam: End 2013
M11 Enniscorthy/N25 New Ross: 2014

Fingers crossed
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:45 AM   #1187
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angulo View Post
With pleasure.
That's a lovely interchange, but you're trolling. You do know that Ireland has only fairly recently expanded its motorway network?

As for the interchange, it would be a dime a dozen here in the US and nothing special. Same goes for the UK...the M8/M74 interchange in Glasgow would swallow your interchange with a hiccup and burp. No offense.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 03:37 PM   #1188
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
That's a lovely interchange, but you're trolling. You do know that Ireland has only fairly recently expanded its motorway network?

As for the interchange, it would be a dime a dozen here in the US and nothing special. Same goes for the UK...the M8/M74 interchange in Glasgow would swallow your interchange with a hiccup and burp. No offense.
Let's not start silly discussions "country vs. country" style.
I already explained to my fellow countryman that his remarks were at least out of place if not rude.
Old February 13th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #1189
geogregor

Wow, the Irish roads thread really got quiet
Anyway, I have few questions.

There is quite a few road projects going on at the moment which completely escaped my attention. OK, they are not full blown motorways but quite a few bypasses are being build.
The one I was aware of is the Tralee bypass. There are pictures online and it seems to be getting along nicely.

But, until yesterday I was totally unaware about the Belturbet bypass along the N3 which should open mid 2013. Do you guys have any recent photos? Apparently they are building nice bridge along it but I can't find any recent shots.
Maybe someone local would take some pictures?

Also, I wasn't aware about the start of Ballaghaderreen Bypass along the N5.
Any updates on that (preferable with pictures)? I know they started recently but there must be some movement.

Time to make this thread a bit more lively guys, come on, get your cameras out.
Take example from Polish forums where people battle snow drifts to post some pictures on Skyscrapercity
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #1190
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

Quote:
New Gort to Tuam motorway to begin before end of year
Updated: 18:39, Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Funds cleared for construction by Department of Public Expenditure

Work on the construction of new motorway between Gort and Tuam in Co Galway is to begin before the end of the year, after funding was approved for the project.

The Department of Public Expenditure has approved the allocation of money to cover the Exchequer element of the scheme.

The National Roads Authority says it will now re-engage with the preferred private contractor to complete the new N17/ N18 route.

The construction of a 57-km motorway - part of the so-called Atlantic Corridor on the west coast - will take thousands of vehicles out of Clarinbridge, Claregalway and Tuam each day.

It will be constructed as a Public Private Partnership project.
There will be no tolls on the route. Instead the State will pay the private contractors an annuity over 25 years.

The NRA says hundreds of jobs will be created during the construction process.

It is expected the motorway will take up to three years to complete at a cost of €550 million.

An environmental assessment of the proposed route has already been done, along with an archaeological review.

In addition, compulsory purchase orders required to develop the road have been completed.

The project stalled in 2010 when the bidders first selected as the private contractor were unable to secure funding to carry out the work, due to the economic downturn.

The contract was subsequently awarded to Direct Route - a group made up of several contractors including Lagan, Roadbridge and Sisk.

That consortium has already been involved in the construction of the Limerick Tunnel.

A spokesperson for Direct Route said this afternoon they were ready to start work on the Gort to Tuam motorway, pending completion of the procurement process.
Good news for the area. This motorway will have 4 interchanges including one with the M6 motorway Dublin - Galway and will be 57km's long. Half will be "M17" and half "M18". It will join with the M18 already built from Gort to Limerick.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596

Last edited by odlum833; February 28th, 2013 at 12:04 AM.
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #1191
geogregor

I won't believe it until I see photos showing actual construction.
There were so many false hopes already.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:06 PM   #1192
csd

Likes (Received): 49

The M50 Westlink bridges near Dublin, at sunset this evening.

image hosted on flickr

M50 pano by csd75, on Flickr
csd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 09:40 AM   #1193
Nafianna

Likes (Received): 0

M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV View Post
In Poland? Excuse me, but lol. The geometric solutions of the M50 are supreme and make it to handle very well its AADT. Show me a better motorway as this one in Poland. The only minus in M50 is left-side traffic
Great to see the interest in the m50. It is indeed a great motorway that was a long time in the making.
I worked on a section of it and loved every bit of it. The south and east sections cut through millions of m3 of granite. Very hilly ground and a lot of traffic management at tie ins.

The new free flow interchanges were threaded through the eye of a needle and look amazing. Aadt aside, very complex jobs.
Polands motorways look amazing too. It's a pity the government there pulled the plug and put a lot of contractors in trouble to pay for the stadiums
Nafianna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 12:42 PM   #1194
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

So which motorway leads to Saoirse?
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 02:16 AM   #1195
geogregor

I have just came back from Ireland and I have to say it was one of my favorite countries to drive around.
I did about 1800km in six days on anything from the M50 Dublin orbital motorway to some single lane tracks on Beara Peninsula.

First thing I noticed is the fact how quiet the roads are in comparison to the UK or even Poland. Amazing. I drove mid week at different hours between Dublin and Cork and between Galway and Dublin and motorways really felt deserted. There were moments when I couldn't see any car in front or behind me. It was kind of weird. The only exception was obviously M50.

I found local drivers pretty good. They drive quite fast but with purpose and confidence. Some occasional slow moving vehicles were clearly rentals driven by tourists. I guess that aspect gets worse as the tourist season progresses and more foreigners arrive to tour the island. I can imagine tour buses might be a pain, especially in county Kerry or in Connemara.
Fortunately at this time of the year we encountered relatively few lost Americans or coaches full of old Germans

Here are few shots from the drive between Galway and Dublin.

Athlone bypass

M6 again

Last edited by geogregor; April 25th, 2013 at 02:32 AM.
Old April 25th, 2013, 02:26 AM   #1196
geogregor

M50

One shot of the flyover under construction on the N40 Cork ring road

Most of my pictures consist roads like this:

Or even this:

Let me know if you want to see more, I have plenty of shots.

I also spotted plenty of signs like this:

One can clearly see that Ireland has a lot of foreign tourists
Old April 25th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #1197
TranslatorPS

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
(...)
Or even this:

(...)
Did you stumble upon any 80km/h signs preceding those roads?
Old April 26th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #1198
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranslatorPS View Post

Did you stumble upon any 80km/h signs preceding those roads?
Yes, but to be honest I love Irish approach of posting generous speed limits. That way you drive accordingly to your skills, car abilities, road geometry etc. rather than to arbitrary number.
It is much less frustrating than ridiculously low limits in the US.
And to be honest I could easily drive about 80km/h (or a bit more but shhh.. ) on many of the local roads.

Here are few shots:

Highway to hell??

Old April 26th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #1199
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

Great photos! The landscape is amazing.

Is there any news regarding the construction of M11 between Wicklow and Arklow? A few months ago there was a media report about construction starting in April 2013.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #1200
Catmalojin

Likes (Received): 850

Quote:
Over 1,000 jobs to be created in roads upgrade
Updated: 16:05, Tuesday, 30 April 2013

The contract is worth €282m

Over 1,000 construction jobs will be created in the next two years as part of a major upgrade of the N11 and N7 road networks.

BAM Contractors today signed a public-private partnership contract worth €282m with the National Roads Authority on behalf of the Department of Transport.

The project will see BAM design and build a new freeflow junction at Newlands Cross on the N7 and carry out several works on the N11.

There will not be any tolls on the new sections of road that they are constructing.

As part of the deal signed, they will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of the road sections for 25 years.

The new junction at Newlands Cross will enable motorists to drive from the south to the north of the country without hitting any traffic lights.

The works on the N11 include the construction of a 16km dual carriageway linking the end of the Arklow bypass with the end of the Ashford bypass, as well as two new interchanges at the Beehive junction and at Jack White's crossroads.

A service area will also be built at Ballyellin on the Gorey bypass.

Construction on the projects is expected to begin in May.

The N11 works will be completed within 28 months and it is planned that the new section of the N7 will be completed within 21 months.

Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Brendan Howlin said the European Investment Bank will provide around €120m for the projects.

AA Ireland's Director of Consumer Affairs Conor Faughnan has welcomed the announcement of the new projects.

Speaking on RTÉ's News at One, Mr Faughnan said there should be no major disruption to traffic flow during the construction of the freeflow junction as a clause in the contract states that three flowing lanes must be maintained in both directions at all times.

"At long last we're starting to have a continuous, connected modern motorway network," he said.

Mr Faughnan said that while the infrastructure is expensive, we have never built a piece of infrastructure that we regretted.

Story from RTÉ News:
http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0430/388...truction-jobs/
Catmalojin no está en línea   Reply With Quote