daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2014, 02:27 AM   #1301
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19255

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
I know, the southern half of the scheme was 'supposed' to go to tender around April 2008 with construction starting early 2009. There were 20 parties in the PPP negotiations, including the consortium members and the EIB, and they all had to be dragged along together.

Next up is the New Ross Bypass but I do not expect that to finally get over the line before H2 2015 and if it is delayed to election time 2016 then the N11 Enniscorthy scheme around H1 2017...which is why I said there would be 1000km of motorway by around 2019 ( not before)
Are those N25 and N11 schemes really that important? Looking at the map of Ireland the M8 between Cork and Limerick seems to be the most important missing link. The Enniscorthy and New Ross bypasses seems to mainly improve road from Waterford to Dublin. But there is already M9-M7 link.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2014, 04:00 AM   #1302
sotonsi

you miss off the large port at Rosslare in that SE corner of Ireland
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:08 AM   #1303
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2206

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Are those N25 and N11 schemes really that important? Looking at the map of Ireland the M8 between Cork and Limerick seems to be the most important missing link.
You are absolutely correct. That is the most important missing motorway link.

The remainder of the N11 should be done as 2+2 ( Gorey to Wexford town) as should the N25 (3 separate sections around New Ross and near Cork and Dungarvan, not as Motorway). Rosslare is not that important as a port, it is way behind Cork and Dublin ports in importance. I would leave the Wexford - Rosslare bit as is, good 1+1 road.

In many cases where Motorway standard road is required is perhaps for 10km out of a City and then reducing to 2+2 for a section and finally to 1+1, the Cork N71 SW approaches from Bandon would be such an example. The Cork N28 S approach from Ringaskiddy is another although that should be 2+2 with Motorway only for perhaps the most northerly 8-10km. In both cases the existing roads are completely crap.

They may be built to Motorway standard and not designated as motorways but as 120kph DC roads ( we have a few of those already as you know)

The N24 is another road where a mix of Motorway and 2+2 is required but not much motorway, mainly 2+2 Expressway.

Last edited by sponge_bob; May 1st, 2014 at 10:21 AM.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:51 AM   #1304
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
not much motorway, mainly 2+2 Expressway.
What's your difference, expressways are motorways w/o hard shoulders?
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 11:16 AM   #1305
sponge_bob

In the Irish context an expressway is a motorway with no hard shoulder and a 100kph profile rather than a 120kph profile and with some online roundabouts rather than GSJs. Not many have been built so far. Quite a few are stuck in planning. Sweden and Finland use this sort of road design a lot in rural areas and the Irish Roads Authority got the design profile from Sweden.

Ireland does not build motorways as such, it builds a high quality dual carriageway (HQDC) to motorway standards first and then designates it to motorway by ministerial order after it is built. This shortens the planning process in theory. A road with no hard shoulder can never be designated as a motorway save where it terminates on a motorway at one end like some Italian superstradi do, none exist in Ireland right now.

However some HQDC sections with 120kph limits are officially left as Dual Carriageways ( tractors permitted) and are not designated as motorways, generally where there is no _practical_ alternative route.

As for the scheme announced yesterday it is 57km long of which 53 km will eventually be designated as motorway and where the most northerly 4km is being built as 2+2 ( around Tuam).

In the space of 15km one will go from Motorway to 2+2 to Good 1+1 to a really crap 1+1 while dropping from 20k AADT to maybe 12-14k on the 2+2 section and eventually to around 8-9k AADT as well.

MichiH liked this post

Last edited by sponge_bob; May 1st, 2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old May 9th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #1306
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

M17/18 Gort - Tuam

Taoiseach turns sod on Gort-Tuam motorway link

The Taoiseach has turned the sod for the next phase of a planned motorway between Gort and Tuam in Co Galway.

The non-toll route, which is costing €550 million, will be open in 2018.
Full report: http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0509/616349-motorway/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH, Rapter liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 09:38 PM   #1307
marmurr1916

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Are those N25 and N11 schemes really that important? Looking at the map of Ireland the M8 between Cork and Limerick seems to be the most important missing link. The Enniscorthy and New Ross bypasses seems to mainly improve road from Waterford to Dublin. But there is already M9-M7 link.
The route between Cork and Limerick is the N20, not the M8.

Almost the entire route will eventually be replaced by a motorway, M20.

Neither Enniscorthy nor New Ross are on the route between Dublin and Waterford.

The main purpose of these bypasses (Enniscorthy - N/M11, New Ross - N25) is to improve access to Rosslare, where the major ferry port with services to the UK and continental Europe is located.

When the Enniscorthy bypass is completed, there will be continuous motorway and dual-carriageway (expressway in ssc lingo!) from Dublin to south of Enniscorthy on the M11/N11 (E1) route.

The remainder of the route from Enniscorthy to Rosslare port is a good quality single-carriageway road (one lane in each direction, with hard shoulder), including a bypass of Wexford with some at-grade roundabouts.

The N25 connects Cork to Waterford and then to Wexford and Rosslare port.

It is part of the E30 route, from Cork to Omsk in Russia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_route_E30
marmurr1916 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #1308
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmurr1916 View Post
The route between Cork and Limerick is the N20, not the M8.

Almost the entire route will eventually be replaced by a motorway, M20.
Yep, sorry, my mistake.

I would say that for Ireland M20 is more important than bypasses of Enniscorthy and New Ross.
It will connect three largest population centers in the republic (outside Dublin).

And the whole "E" route system in case of Ireland should be completely irrelevant.
Old May 15th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #1309
csd

Likes (Received): 49

NRA - A Decade of Progress

Folks,

The NRA have published a 100-page booklet outlining the €16 billion motorway construction programme that took place between 2000 and 2011 in Ireland.

The booklet is available from the NRA site here.

There's nothing really new here, but it does provide a handy summary of the programme in a single document.

/csd
csd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2014, 02:59 PM   #1310
geogregor

Barack Obama Plaza
http://www.independent.ie/business/i...-30316133.html

I love weird places like that so now I have reason to drive the M7 during my next visit to Ireland
Old June 30th, 2014, 07:50 PM   #1311
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Hi guys,

I'll be visiting Ireland later this week and I wonder if some of you know some good roads to drive on, be it for the scenery along them or for features of the road itself.

I promise to get back with a bag full of videos to share with you
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #1312
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Hi guys,

I'll be visiting Ireland later this week and I wonder if some of you know some good roads to drive on, be it for the scenery along them or for features of the road itself.

Most of the roads in coastal Cork and Kerry are great to drive.
Ring of Kerry, Ring of Beara, Dingle Peninsula, most of roads in Connemara.
Ireland has so many great drives to offer you could drive them for months.
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #1313
csd

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Hi guys,

As geogregor says, the Ring of Kerry (N70/N71 loop around the Iveragh Peninsula) is very nice, but avoid it this Saturday (July 5th) as it will play host to the largest charity cycle in the country. 10,000 cyclists will be doing the Ring and there will be road closures. Here's the view from Moll's Gap, on the N71 between Kenmare and Killarney, during last year's cycle:

Moll's Gap by csd75, on Flickr

The N59 between Oughterard, Clifden, and Leenaun is also spectacular. This shot was taken from near the R344 in the Maamturk mountains, looking towards the Twelve Bens. If you like hillwalking then a visit here is a must:

IMG_0809 by csd75, on Flickr

Nearer Dublin, the R759 Military Road, built by the British Army after the 1798 rebellion, is also spectacular. Here's a photo taken between Laragh and Sally Gap in Co Wicklow:
Military Road, Co Wicklow by csd75, on Flickr

/csd

verreme liked this post
Old July 1st, 2014, 12:00 AM   #1314
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Thanks a lot! I promise a full video report when I come back
Old July 1st, 2014, 02:27 AM   #1315
sponge_bob

Do the peninsulas around Bantry Bay on the saturday and go no further west than Kenmare that day, should take all day to get from Cork City > Clonakilty > Skibberreen > Mizen Head > Bantry > Castletown Bere > Allihies > Kenmare. You can do the ring of Kerry from Kenmare and finish up in Dingle ( via the Conor Pass route ) on Sunday.
Old July 1st, 2014, 06:11 AM   #1316
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post

IMG_0809 by csd75, on Flickr

/csd
wow! That looks like a desert.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 11:26 AM   #1317
Skyline_

Likes (Received): 985

I thought Ireland was green, everywhere....
"Aristarchus [310 BC – 230 BC] has brought out a book consisting of certain hypotheses: His hypotheses are that the fixed stars and the Sun remain unmoved, that the Earth revolves about the Sun on the circumference of a circle." (Archimedes 287 BC –  212 BC).
http://www.pepkm.gr/web/guest/en_home
http://cor.europa.eu/en/regions/page...berList=Member
http://www.pkm.gov.gr/
Skyline_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 09:15 PM   #1318
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline_ View Post
I thought Ireland was green, everywhere....
It is now, that photo was taken between December and March from the look of it. Here is a different view of Connemara in late March 2012 .
Old July 1st, 2014, 11:03 PM   #1319
csd

Yes, that "desert" pic was taken in March, before the spring/summer growth. There's actually a lot of water under the yellow -- most of that area is bog -- the yellow is bog grass.

Here's a shot from the same mountain range (in a different direction) taken in September.

IMG_6188 by csd75, on Flickr

/csd

sponge_bob liked this post
Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:14 AM   #1320
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post
Yes, that "desert" pic was taken in March, before the spring/summer growth.
Thought so, in that case you are looking at the wettest desert in the world underneath all that brown.