daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2014, 02:25 AM   #1381
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Half classic cable stay profile and half extradose ....from memory. It will not be low profile like a fully extradosed bridge as there will be two noticeable towers.

The illiterate journalist who wrote that piece wanted to say it would not be tolled, I think.

But I honestly could not say what they meant to say.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2014, 02:09 AM   #1382
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19209

I have questions about the Irish tendering procedures.

In Poland after choosing the preferred bidder there is 30 days for competitors to fill official complains.
If there is a complain the Road Authority can accept it and choose other bidder or reject the protest.
If there are no complains there is 30 days for control of the tender by the National Procurement Agency (a public body which has to check and approve any large tender in the country)
Then there is contract signing and finally contractor gets access to the site.
That's if I remember correctly.

How does it look in Ireland?
When can we realistically expect any movement on the ground. In the article there is mention of "mid 2015" but it is a bit vague.
Do you have any strict time limits in such tendering processes?
Were there any other bidders?
Can they protest and delay the whole thing?

BTW
On page 14 of this document:
http://www.eib.org/infocentre/register/all/52323257.pdf

I found this info:
Quote:
The Barrow Bridge will be an Extrados Type Bridge and is illustrated in Figure 2 below. Tree of the bridge piers will extend through the bridge deck, with the centre pier extending approximately 25m above the bridge deck and the two side piers extending approximately 15m above the bridge deck.Inclined stay cables will link these three piers to the centre of the bridge deck. The overall length of the bridge is approximately 900m with the two main central spans approximately 230m in length. The vertical alignment for the Barrow Bridge allows a 36m clearance envelope above Mean High Water Spring (MHWS) for navigation of the river.
It looks like an interesting design. I haven't yet seen a bridge with different height of the towers. It seems that the tallest one will have about 65m (40m to the deck and 25m above), two lower ones about 55m

Last edited by geogregor; December 24th, 2014 at 02:15 AM.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #1383
sponge_bob

There is a standstill period everywhere under the "Procurement Remedies Directive" 2007/66/EC. I think a losing bidder has 2 weeks to go to court in Ireland during this standstill period. Not sure if standstill is 15 or 30 days.

If no court case is taken by the end of the standstill then the tender award is final and contracts can be signed next day with machinery on site same day.
Old January 7th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #1384
geogregor

Few shots from Cork SRR.
First approaching new flyovers over the Bandon roundabout:

And two more further along the route:

Also, I have a question about the future M6/M17/M18 junction.

It is planned as a grade separated roundabout so MSA serving all the motorways could be fitted onto the roundabout.

If I remember correctly initially NRA didn't get planning permission for it but since then they submitted new application for the MSA.

Let say they get it this time, does NRA already owns the land needed for the services or will they have to CPO it in a separate process?

I'm asking because I wonder if it could be build at the same time as the junction itself. At least they could prepare the space for it, build parking and access roads etc. The services could be added a bit later once the operator is chosen.
That's how it is done in Poland. During road construction the future MSAs are built but without the services itself. Slip roads are constructed, parking provided and site is fenced off. Then, once operator is selected, they just have to build filling station, restaurants and all the other needed buildings. It takes them usually only a few months and there is no need to impede traffic on the mainline.
Old January 7th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #1385
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Interchange M50-M1
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #1386
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Also, I have a question about the future M6/M17/M18 junction.

It is planned as a grade separated roundabout so MSA serving all the motorways could be fitted onto the roundabout.

If I remember correctly initially NRA didn't get planning permission for it but since then they submitted new application for the MSA.
The new link of the project page: http://www.galway.ie/en/services/roa...ojects/m17m18/ (but I couldn't find info about the junction).

It says "Work on the construction of new motorway between Gort and Tuam in Co Galway will begin in January 2015."

The groundbreaking ceremony took place in May 2014:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Taoiseach turns sod on Gort-Tuam motorway link

The Taoiseach has turned the sod for the next phase of a planned motorway between Gort and Tuam in Co Galway.

The non-toll route, which is costing €550 million, will be open in 2018.
Full report: http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0509/616349-motorway/
Has anyone seen ongoing works or have only advanced/preliminary works been done meanwhile?
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2015, 12:30 AM   #1387
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post

Has anyone seen ongoing works or have only advanced/preliminary works been done meanwhile?
Nothing apart from a bit of fencing and a site compound near that MSA.

No new application has been made for an MSA at that M18/M6 junction either. It is in the policy document from 2014 and the one around 8km east of Athlone is now under construction but they first need to shift a whole Esker from the look of that job.

http://www.nra.ie/policy-publication...st2014-(2).pdf

MichiH liked this post
Old January 23rd, 2015, 03:04 AM   #1388
geogregor

User "mackerski" posted this on boards.ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackerski View Post
Here is some drone footage of a few locations on the scheme, starting at the Beehive junction and progressing southwards via Jack White's:

Old January 30th, 2015, 11:00 AM   #1389
sponge_bob

Drove through the M17/M18 Gort-Tuam site in the dark earlier and I could see some Orange lights in the distance on both sides of the old road. I can therefore confirm that work has started on Gort - Tuam.

Site clearance has started as it is imperative to clear off all the hedges and trees between now and the end of February before the hedge cutting ban kicks in on 01 March. This ban will remain in place until 31 August and will prevent contractors from doing site clearance/fencing works all summer in effect.

On the northern section of the route (north of the M6) I hear a civils contractor named Coffey got involved in that somehow and that their workers are on strike already. The name Coffey puts the fear of God into anybody who remembers their cost and time overrun epic in Galway City only a few short years ago. I think Roadbridge have the middle bit including the interchange and Sisk the southern bit so I am not too worried about progress being made there. I saw the lights on the Sisk or Roadbridge bit.

Coffey were also involved in the "Bog of Doom" farce on the M7 as part of the consortium that got the contract along with Mota Engil....and that was where they found the deepest bog in Ireland and then hired some cheap and nasty geotechnical 'experts' over in London to tell them how to 'deal' with it.

This photo from 5 years back shows Mota Engil back working on the road across the Bog of Doom AFTER the consortium built it ( note even the barrier is present) . They had to use piles 45m long to stabilise it.

I would think the upshot is that the Southern half of Gort - Tuam will open before the northern half, somehow. I'll get some photos when the days are longer.

MichiH liked this post

Last edited by sponge_bob; January 30th, 2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old February 10th, 2015, 09:33 PM   #1390
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

Enniscorthy bypass inches closer as BAM Iridium Consortium is preferred tenderer

The BAM Iridium Consortium has been named as the preferred tenderer for the M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy Public Private Partnership (PPP) Scheme with the contract expected to be signed by this summer.

The M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy PPP Scheme is approximately 41Km in length incorporating a new 27Km motorway and tie-in to the east of Enniscorthy, an 8Km single carriageway bypass to the west of Enniscorthy, a 4Km dual carriageway section linking the N30 and N80 that crosses the River Slaney, and associated side road improvements.
Full report: http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/enn...-30980943.html
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #1391
sponge_bob

Bam Iridium are also preferred bidder on the New Ross scheme nearby .

Here is a map of the two schemes. It could take until christmas or even later for the contract to be signed and I doubt anyone will be onsite on either scheme in 2015.

Old February 11th, 2015, 02:14 PM   #1392
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Here is a map of the two schemes. It could take until christmas or even later for the contract to be signed and I doubt anyone will be onsite on either scheme in 2015.
Bam stated that they would commence construction of the New Ross bypass in "mid to late summer".
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 10:34 PM   #1393
Map Guy
Cartographic Nutjob

Likes (Received): 16

It doesn't look like there'll be a junction on the New Ross Bypass for the N25 to go to/from Wexford! Someone please tell me that isn't the case!

Britain's Lost Motorway Network: My Flickr set of map scans A collection of all the bits of motorway we didn't build that made it onto a map. And a few that weren't planned at all!

The rest of my Flickr photos - motorsport, roads and more!
Map Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #1394
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Guy View Post
It doesn't look like there'll be a junction on the New Ross Bypass for the N25 to go to/from Wexford! Someone please tell me that isn't the case!
It's not the case

And I'm not just saying that as you asked - this document says: "Three at-grade roundabout junctions at Glenmore (N25), Ballymacar Bridge (N25) and Corcoran’s Cross (N30) and a compact grade separated junction at Camlin (R733)"
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2015, 12:46 PM   #1395
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Guy View Post
It doesn't look like there'll be a junction on the New Ross Bypass for the N25 to go to/from Wexford!
Where did you get that idea? This bypass is the new N25 so of course it must link to the old one.
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2015, 11:55 PM   #1396
csd

Likes (Received): 49

Ennis - Limerick

Folks,

Some photos from the N85 and M18/N18 (including the Limerick Tunnel). This is in the opposite direction to that covered in verreme's video of last year.

1. On the N85, which forms a southern and western bypass of Ennis, the main town in Co Clare.
IMG_1372 by csd75, on Flickr

2. Most of the N85 is single carriageway, of varying standard. Some of the better single-carriageway route is near Ennis.
IMG_1375 by csd75, on Flickr

3. There is a short (3km) section of dual carriageway N85 near the M18.
IMG_1382 by csd75, on Flickr

4. Junctions on the dual carriageway section are either roundabouts or LILOs.
IMG_1385 by csd75, on Flickr

5. Approaching the eastern terminus of the N85 at the M18.
IMG_1388 by csd75, on Flickr

6. These unusual signs seem to be confined to counties Clare and Limerick. Perhaps this is because motorways are a more recent arrival to this part of the country.
IMG_1390 by csd75, on Flickr

7. We head south on the M18 towards Limerick.
IMG_1394 by csd75, on Flickr

8. This section was originally opened as a dual carriageway, but was reclassified as motorway in 2010.
IMG_1395 by csd75, on Flickr

9. Junctions on the Newmarket-on-Fergus bypass.
IMG_1406 by csd75, on Flickr

10. Ballygirreen is where the HF radio that covers the north atlantic air corridors is located.
IMG_1401 by csd75, on Flickr

IMG_1403 by csd75, on Flickr

11. Approaching the junction for Shannon airport.
IMG_1417 by csd75, on Flickr

12. The motorway section ends at the junction ahead, hence the green signs.
IMG_1425 by csd75, on Flickr

IMG_1429 by csd75, on Flickr

13. Dual carriageway standard road for the rest of the way to Limerick and the tunnel.
IMG_1433 by csd75, on Flickr

14. This section of the road is still quite high standard, but has frequent junctions.
IMG_1438 by csd75, on Flickr

IMG_1445 by csd75, on Flickr

15. While all median crossings have been removed, some of the entry/exit ramps are the original substandard examples.
IMG_1450 by csd75, on Flickr

IMG_1459 by csd75, on Flickr

16. Approaching the tunnel.
IMG_1467 by csd75, on Flickr

17. Leave here for the city centre, everyone else take the tunnel (and pay the toll!)
IMG_1474 by csd75, on Flickr

18. This section was built as part of the tunnel project.
IMG_1482 by csd75, on Flickr

19. Toll charges.
IMG_1489 by csd75, on Flickr

20. A view of the approach to the toll plaza. The industrial complex in the background is the Irish Cement factory at Castlemugret, the other side of the river Shannon.
IMG_1491 by csd75, on Flickr

21. We'll take the express lane, for vehicles with tags.
IMG_1493 by csd75, on Flickr

22. Approaching the tunnel portals.
IMG_1497 by csd75, on Flickr

23. The tunnel is a twin immersed-tube structure, 675 metres long under the river Shannon. Rising near the border with Northern Ireland and flowing through much of the midlands, the Shannon is the longest river in Britain and Ireland.
IMG_1501 by csd75, on Flickr

IMG_1507 by csd75, on Flickr

24. Exiting at the eastern portal.
IMG_1511 by csd75, on Flickr

25. Junction 2.
IMG_1514 by csd75, on Flickr

IMG_1516 by csd75, on Flickr

26. Dublin is less than 2 hours away now that there is motorway or high-quality dual carriageway standard road down the entire length of the N7.
IMG_1519 by csd75, on Flickr

27. N18 junction 1 or M7 junction 30.
IMG_1520 by csd75, on Flickr

IMG_1524 by csd75, on Flickr

IMG_1530 by csd75, on Flickr

28. Left for Limerick, Cork, and Killarney; straight on for Dublin.
IMG_1532 by csd75, on Flickr

29. That's it!
IMG_1535 by csd75, on Flickr

/csd
Old March 23rd, 2015, 12:17 AM   #1397
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Awesome pictures. Irish dual-carriageways in N-routes (N18 in Limerick, N6 in Athlone or N11 in co. Wicklow) have a very high standard, with no roundabouts or at-grade intersections, and hard shoulders.

csd liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 12:25 AM   #1398
csd

Likes (Received): 49

New speed limit sign

Folks,

A new "rural speed limit" sign will be rolled out on minor roads across Ireland.

See the Road Safety Authority's website for details.

The desire is to replace a numerical limit with a generic sign, to prevent those who see a signed number as a target rather than a limit from travelling excessively fast on Ireland's narrow rural roads. The limit itself remains at 80 km/h.

/csd
csd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 12:47 AM   #1399
sponge_bob

Ireland has a very large road network (on a per capita basis it is 3x plus that of most EU countries) and most of that is rural single lane road by length.

stats > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_network_size

And yes that is grass growing up the middle, which is typical of these roads.

Old March 23rd, 2015, 01:32 AM   #1400
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

It's reasonable, numerical limits on such roads (well I would argue, on any road) are silly

but I think the use of the "end all restrictions" when a numerical limit is still legally in force is a bad / confusing idea, you just give drivers confusion.