daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM   #141
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
Info on the M7 can be found here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M7_motorway_(Ireland)

It will be the longest single number motorway in Ireland. The Motorway will connect to 3, possibly 4, other motorways - the M9, M8 and M20.

[IM G]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d0/M7Motorway.JPG/800px-M7Motorway.JPG[/IMG]

pics wiki
And here we have an example of how bad they are at putting 'end of motorway' signs on the sliproads
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:20 PM   #142
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Hi!

This is the best I can find - only current planned projects and those under construction. There are others (the M20 from Cork to Limerick for example and M17) but delays in the new economic environment seem inevitable.

M1 Dublin - Border
M2 Dublin - Ashbourne
M3 Dublin - Kells
M4 Dublin - Kinnegad
M6 Kinnegad - Galway
M7 Dublin - Limerick
M8 Dublin - Cork
M9 Dublin - Waterford
M11 Dublin - Wexford
M17 Tuam - Galway
M18 Galway - Limerick
M20 Limerick - Cork
M21 Limerick
M25 Waterford
M50 Dublin
Outer Orbital Motorway for Dublin - number unkown (not 2012)
Dublin Eastern Bypass (M50) tunnel (not 2012)

All appart from the M20 Cork to Limerick and M17 are U/C. The M1 is complete.

You are right that they actually don't look particularly 'European' - the yellow hard shoulder and usually wide medians and those yellow diamond signs probrably contribute to that. In the UK, for example typically there is a narrow median, the hard shoulders are white and the signage is the European standard white and red. Don't know why things are different here - it's a bit Irish to be odd I suppose!...or maybe we just like America....

I do like the yellow hard shoulders though.....and prefer the yellow diamonds.

There are some narrow median sections aswell

This is the new M8 in County Tipperary for example

Pic by Furet
Beautiful highways, even more beautiful scenery to go with them.

Ireland's going to have a pretty extensive motorway network for a country of only 3-4 million people. It's a shame NI can't keep its side of the bargain up and complete the motorway link from the border to Belfast, but I'm guessing it's a political thing?
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:30 PM   #143
odlum833

Likes (Received): 2182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
but I'm guessing it's a political thing?
No, it's actually financial on their side. We are funding significant portion of new roads in the North - for example a motorway from Dublin to Derry but realistically it is up to them to be connected properly with Dublin from Belfast. We have done our bit. In fairness to them they are building DC from Belfast to Newry which will link with the M1 at the border. It should just be motorway though and not kind of mickey mouse stuff. Dublin is the biggest city on the Island - every other city except Belfast will be connected by motorway. I don't understand the logic really. Having said that the DC to Newry is going to be of high enough quality. It's just it should be 'M' for consistency.

In terms of motorway density the AA reckon that upon completion of the roads under construction, given Ireland's smaller size, there will be 23kms per 100,000 people of motorway - the equivalent in Britain is 11km per 100,000 so yeah it's pretty extensive for the country's size. Of course no one wants to see motorways everywhere either......public transport will have to get priority in future.
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:02 AM   #144
Comfortably Numb
Goddess of Winter

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
No, it's actually financial on their side. We are funding significant portion of new roads in the North - for example a motorway from Dublin to Derry but realistically it is up to them to be connected properly with Dublin from Belfast. We have done our bit. In fairness to them they are building DC from Belfast to Newry which will link with the M1 at the border. It should just be motorway though and not kind of mickey mouse stuff. Dublin is the biggest city on the Island - every other city except Belfast will be connected by motorway. I don't understand the logic really. Having said that the DC to Newry is going to be of high enough quality. It's just it should be 'M' for consistency.

In terms of motorway density the AA reckon that upon completion of the roads under construction, given Ireland's smaller size, there will be 23kms per 100,000 people of motorway - the equivalent in Britain is 11km per 100,000 so yeah it's pretty extensive for the country's size. Of course no one wants to see motorways everywhere either......public transport will have to get priority in future.
Dublin and Belfast deserve a full motorway link though -- shame the British government won't come up with the cash to finance it. Those are the 2 biggest cities and they deserve both a motorway and high speed rail link.

It looks like there's plenty of space in Ireland, so I can't see anything getting ruined by these new roads. On the contrary, they will probably alleviate traffic from bottleneck roads and will help boost your economy, both long term and short term.

Anyway, I知 contemplating a trip to Ireland later this year and if I do come, I値l look forward to driving on some of these fantastic new motorways.
Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying

My Panoramio
Comfortably Numb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:43 AM   #145
sotonsi

Dublin-Belfast not being a motorway is very political - blue lines in the UK demand massive traffic flows - the UK is motorway-phobic. If a road has blue signs it's very likely to attract all the hard-core swampyists to do a sit in, if it has green, it gets less attention.

It's also not viable to make it a motorway without massive upgrades to horizontal, vertical alignments, slip road layouts, full alternative route (the main reason why the new-ish cross-border road isn't motorway). Much of the route, while a perfectly acceptable grade-seperated dual-carriageway that copes with the traffic demand rather well, is completely substandard to be a motorway. See also the N4 and N7 between the M50 and the M4 and M7 respectively (the M3 and M2 also won't reach the M50 under current redesignations), ditto the N18 between Limerick and Shannon, which would also mean that the not-yet-opened N7 between the M20 and N18 won't be motorway. The M9 won't quite reach the M25 Waterford City Bypass.

Once the Northern Irish plans are complete, there would be no at grade crossings between Dublin and Belfast, however some of the road, between Dundalk and Lisburn would have green signs not blue. Big whoop! There's only just been a connection between the English motorway network and the Glaswegian one (Edinburgh isn't connected to Glasgow by motorway yet - soon to happen, but the green-sign section isn't the problem section, which is the 2 lane (each way) motorway section nearer Edinburgh). While it's nice to have blue signs, it doesn't mean that the route is that good - take the lane drop that used to happen as you transitioned from the A2 to the M2 - the A2 had better standards than the M2 - wider and better junctions.

Traffic figures in the UK demand something like 35k VPD for a motorway, the Republic needs something like 12k.

As for Dublin being connected to all the cities on the island, Derry is looking very unlikely to be a full DC, even if the Republic fund a motorway across the UK section (it's far far more likely to be a much lower standard dual carraigeway). Lisburn and Newry clearly won't have motorways to Dublin and Bangor doesn't even have a motorway with Belfast. Not to mention that Cork, Limerick, Kilkenny, Waterford and Galway which will all fail at the Dublin ends. How many cities is that? zero?
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:39 AM   #146
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
How many cities is that? zero?

Don't worry, we have a legal instrument to deal with that now. Lets get the routes finished first!

Last edited by odlum833; January 3rd, 2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 02:42 AM   #147
odlum833

Quote:
I値l look forward to driving on some of these fantastic new motorways.
Alot of them are still under construction but large sections have been finished...so don't expect too much just yet!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:50 AM   #148
Furet

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Anyway, I知 contemplating a trip to Ireland later this year and if I do come, I値l look forward to driving on some of these fantastic new motorways.
Several more schemes should be finished by July. The motorways look very good on a sunny day when you're photographing them from an overbridge (as I've done), but unfortunately the landscaping along them has been very poor indeed, causing many to appear unsightly and weedy as you drive.
Furet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 05:34 PM   #149
sotonsi

<double post>
Old January 3rd, 2009, 05:39 PM   #150
sotonsi

Quote:
Don't worry, we have a legal instrument to deal with that now. Lets get the routes finished first!
But the legal instrument has been used and is due to be used again. Neither of those deal with the N7 or N4. It's not going to happen - I mean, the N4 needs nothing AFAIK (it must as decent as the Athlone bypass), yet despite two rounds of making roads motorway, it doesn't get it.

But then again, the question is "does it matter that much what colour the signs are?". The answer is no. That is the main point I'm making.
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #151
nordisk celt83

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furet View Post
Several more schemes should be finished by July. The motorways look very good on a sunny day when you're photographing them from an overbridge (as I've done), but unfortunately the landscaping along them has been very poor indeed, causing many to appear unsightly and weedy as you drive.
Furet, I have to concur. Some serious landscaping will have to be done in futue. Some of the roads are very unsightly!
nordisk celt83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:21 AM   #152
odlum833

We have Europe's largest motorway building progamme right now. Whilst some issues around landscaping may be true - tbh routes that are in the middle of nowhere - why should they be landscaped? I mean is this not true of all countries with routes that are not near urban centers?

For the record alot of motorways here are very tastefully landscaped. It aint all about the M8!
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #153
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

M9 Dublin - Waterford

As promised, the pics:

Bridge over the new motorway:

I also cycled on this new highway with my cousin. Forgot my photocamera that day though. After a while a car was coming up, I thought: huh? --> Highway security, some polish workers told me to go home, but I couldn't understand them actually, they were saying: This is not, This is not, Go home

Anyway, here are the pics from my short stay near Knocktopher
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nrburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lbeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Dsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zrich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, M疝aga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbhel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #154
Furet

Quote:
Whilst some issues around landscaping may be true - tbh routes that are in the middle of nowhere - why should they be landscaped?
With respect, all of the issues surrounding landscaping are true, the roads are not in the middle of nowhere, and of course the verges should be planted - for a myriad of reasons that I'm sure you're perfectly aware of.

Quote:
I mean is this not true of all countries with routes that are not near urban centers?
Not all other countries are called the Emerald Isle and have cultivated the (false) image of being ridiculously green - this photo is a good example of the brown ugliness that accompanies almost all of the new roadways due to a lack of even rudimentary planting: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3216/...7b9d8d57ef.jpg

Quote:
For the record alot of motorways here are very tastefully landscaped.
Almost none of the new ones are.
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #155
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

Landscaping in the winter is difficult
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #156
Furet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsiej13 View Post

Thanks for uploading your photos. That picture looks very hilly for a motorway!
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #157
odlum833

Great pics Thanks! Dont forget to post your pics here btw http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=726678&page=3

Yeah looks pretty hilly and im guessing relatively high too by the terrain. Looks very advanced too. Opening this year? This is the section south of Carlow?

Furet I really don't see landscaping as much of an issue. All the motorways around Dublin are fine. Just have to agree to disagree!

Last edited by odlum833; January 7th, 2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #158
Furet

Quote:
All the motorways around Dublin are fine
Oh, that's okay then. NOT!
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #159
odlum833

Quote:
Motorists face new tolls to cover cost of 4bn Dublin Bay tunnel
By Paul Melia

Wednesday January 07 2009

MOTORISTS will be tolled to cover the potential 4bn cost of an ambitious motorway under Dublin Bay.

A new report obtained by the Irish Independent reveals details of the proposed 11km Eastern motorway running from the Port Tunnel to the M50.

The bypass would complete a full ring motorway for the capital, closing the gap between the Port Tunnel and the M50, and could be built within 10 years.

The scheme was first mooted in the 1970s, and is an objective in the Dublin Transportation Office's Platform for Change strategy, published in 2000.

According to the new report, costs could be as high as 4.35bn, calculated at 2015 prices.

And the consultant's report prepared for the National Roads Authority says it is technically feasible and economically viable, with the economic benefit running at more than double the construction costs.

It would be tolled, and could take in 38m a year in revenue, while the bypass would cost 14m to maintain.

But the project has serious implications for the future of Dublin Port.

Two studies are under way on the future of Dublin Bay, and a decision will have to be made on whether the port should remain in its current location or move to free-up large tracts of land near the city centre.

Traffic

The bypass would do much more than take traffic out of the city centre and off the M50 on the west side of the city. An objective of providing the road is that the Poolbeg Peninsula and South Port area could be developed to provide homes and businesses in the heart of the city, instead of continuing expansion on the outer fringes of the capital.

The report says it is possible to "largely avoid" impacts for buildings and communities by following existing road reservations, but it notes the protected status of much of Dublin Bay.

Parts are deemed to be natural heritage areas and special protection areas, meaning that wildlife must be protected.

It says that undeveloped lands along the proposed route could be reserved, in particular the grounds of the Radisson St Helen's Hotel at the Stillorgan Road. It rules out the complete project being tunnelled.

This first feasibility study into the scheme splits the proposed route into four sectors.

The first deals with the section from the Dublin Port Tunnel toll plaza through the Port and to Sandymount, and recommends that a tunnel or a high viaduct or bridge just downstream of the East Link bridge should be built, to take between 32,000-56,000 vehicles a day.

The second section, at Sandymount Strand, could see a tunnel built along the coastline or a viaduct constructed 1km off-shore. Traffic will travel through the third section, from Booterstown to the N11 at UCD, via a tunnel with 1.2km running underneath UCD, before continuing underground to the Sandyford interchange of the M50 via Kilmacud, completing the ring-road.

Three options have been finalised, costing between 3.95bn and 4.35bn at 2015 prices. At 2007 costs, the bill would run from 2.6bn and 3.2bn.

- Paul Melia

Quote:
Route options for motorway

Independent.ie By Paul Melia

Wednesday January 07 2009

Route Option One (3.95bn at 2015 prices): 2.5km viaduct, nine metres above the ground, across Dublin Port, tunnel under Dublin Bay, viaduct across Sandymount strand with a tunnel under Booterstown and tunnel from the N11 to Sandyford interchange.

Route Option Two (4.2bn): High viaduct across the Port, with a tunnel under bay, across Sandymount Strand, under Booterstown and from the N11 to Sandyford.

Route Option Three (4.35bn): Cut and cover tunnel across the Port. Tunnel under bay, across Sandymount Strand and under Booterstown and a part tunnel from the N11 to Sandyford.

THE TIMESCALE:

2008-2011: Statutory procedures, including planning and design stage.

2012: Land purchases.

2013: Contract awarded.

2018: Eastern bypass opens.

Furet do you not think your taking minor landscaping issues a little seriously? The objective is not to have landscaping - it is to have good roads. In tougher economic times im afraid the latter is priorty.
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #160
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 259

I've completed a site on roads in Ireland. It mainly deals with motorways, now that there's enough of them to create an entire site about!

http://ideasforcheapstuff.com/inex/roads/index.html

Some schemes have pics, e.g. M1, M9, M50.

A frequently updated list of major road openings is here:
http://ideasforcheapstuff.com/inex/r...isc/index.html

I'll put some of the pics on here too, just to mirror them.

Last edited by spacetweek; January 7th, 2009 at 03:56 PM.
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote