daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #241
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

Its pretty cool looking of what I have seen, bricktown is pretty cool, its a mix of the canal district and the wholesale district, which has its benefits and its costs, but overall it is a nice urban stadium...
unvrsty07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:19 AM   #242
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by unvrsty07 View Post
Its pretty cool looking of what I have seen, bricktown is pretty cool, its a mix of the canal district and the wholesale district, which has its benefits and its costs, but overall it is a nice urban stadium...
Any similarities between DT Indy and OKC? Both have a DT canal with new development and new sports stadiums, etc.
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #243
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

Um, in a word, NO... lol DT Indy for lack of a better term "kicks its ass."

I just want to share some stuff with you Indy folks... If anyone dares to make a statement such as suburban, un-walkable, rust-belt, boring, or un-creative to describe Indianapolis, then I would shrug it off and ignore them, cause they do not have a damn clue what they are talking about!! I have been all over this country for the last two months and I have to say, Indianapolis has its act together!!

Oh by the way, to call indiana or indianapolis conservative is a joke!! After some of the places I have been too. It is amazing how after traveling around you begin to get a sense of place and character. By far the coolest city I have been to has been St. Louis which was a happy and very welcomed surprise, But DT Indianapolis is seriously cracking the top ten in American DT cities (and I will defend that statement too)!! The sun belt is so much bull shit!! It is a fake and does not even feel like real cities, and besides the warm weather, it was 66 today I can not wait to get the heck out of here... (I apologize in advance, I know I am going to hear it from some one)
unvrsty07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #244
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

I just want to share some stuff with you Indy folks... If anyone dares to make a statement such as suburban, un-walkable, rust-belt, boring, or un-creative to describe Indianapolis, then I would shrug it off and ignore them, cause they do not have a damn clue what they are talking about!! I have been all over this country for the last two months and I have to say, Indianapolis has its act together!!

Oh by the way, to call indiana or indianapolis conservative is a joke!! After some of the places I have been too. It is amazing how after traveling around you begin to get a sense of place and character. By far the coolest city I have been to has been St. Louis which was a happy and very welcomed surprise, But DT Indianapolis is seriously cracking the top ten in American DT cities (and I will defend that statement too)!! The sun belt is so much bull shit!! It is a fake and does not even feel like real cities, and besides the warm weather, it was 66 today I can not wait to get the heck out of here... (I apologize in advance, I know I am going to hear it from some one)
I defend that whole letter to us. I get down about architecture, however I will say downtown Indy and the city really has alot going on. I really feel in 10 years we will really have a major downtown happening,neighborhoods and all. There is a reason that I said Indy is my favorite city. Not that everything is there now like I would like to see, but the potential, that goes with it that I like, even though I am a sucker for Mass Av...Thanks!
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:29 PM   #245
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

I know I've read about the concerns of various people that the entire east side of 3 Mass Avenue will be styro-board or whatever (myself included). But - looking at it recently, the entire east side is basically covered with large windows. Much, much better than what I was expecting. I was afraid it was going to be another tan, completely ugly, gigantic wall - but I think with all the windows, it shouldn't look too bad. (I mean it definitely isn't going to look like the south side of the Benouly (or whatever that big square building is down at the intersection of South Street, East Street and Virginia Avenue.)) I think it is going to be very urban looking as you view that side of the building, showing a view of much urban, residential life downtown - which should look real good.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:24 AM   #246
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

Maybe I spoke too quickly. The eastern side of the building bends, with three different sections of the wall facing basically in an easterly direction. The two sides of the wall that face east and southeast look ok (with many windows). The section of wall that faces northeast doesn't have as many windows - and likely will have more of the tan and ugly "styro-board" (my made-up term) visible. That is the view that you see as you are looking toward the Southwest down Mass. Ave. That's too bad. Oh well - at least the other two parts of the eastern side of that building shouldn't look too bad.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 07:41 PM   #247
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:

Indiana is a center state with perhaps a slight lean center right with center left large towns and left cities(like Indianapolis and Bloomington.).
OKC is also about half of Indy's age. In the 19th and early 20th century Indianapolis was on a totally different level. By the time OKC was being established Indianapolis was already turning into a major city. We were building palace hotels when they were building shacks!
Politically the power of Indiana's minorities and left have been flexed. The GOP has sort of taken Indiana for granted like the democratic party does Illinois. Now it is a battle ground state with demographic change in the direction of the left as well as economic scars that are pushing many right center hoosiers to the center and center left. Hoosiers are very center. They elected a republican governor(who is a center sort of governor.) and senate, while keeping a sort of check democratic house so everyone is balanced out.
Not to mention the large number of young hoosiers that are now registered does not favor conservatives(which is not mean the GOP.) or the Indiana of yesterday. The CURRENT GOP will have to fight if it wants to keep Indiana.
Yay we are a battleground state boys and girls!
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:14 PM   #248
ak72

Likes (Received): 1

Any recent pictures of 3 Mass? I haven't seen any in a while.
ak72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #249
SpiderMonkey

Likes (Received): 36

The brick work appears to be complete on the Mass Ave. side of the building.
SpiderMonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #250
benjaminooo
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 32

Found this picture on Flickr today:

image hosted on flickr
benjaminooo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #251
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

I kindof wish it would stay purple. At least it's interesting with that color.

When the beige EIFS is slathered on, all one will be able to think of is birthday cakes and cruise ships when looking at that building.
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #252
SkywlkrSnd

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post

I kindof wish it would stay purple. At least it's interesting with that color.

When the beige EIFS is slathered on, all one will be able to think of is birthday cakes and cruise ships when looking at that building.
A cruise ship! LMAO! Hadn't heard that one before. Now that's all I'll be able to think about. Now all it needs is some porthole windows...
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #253
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Ablerock, I tend to agree. Driving by on the interstate it definitely sticks out with the purple
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #254
cailes

Likes (Received): 102

My father in law stayed with us for the holidays and when we took him down on the avenue, his words, "Its going to be purple??"

*doink*

The funny thing though is that after explaining it, he seemed to think it was going to be a nice place once finished as long as it didnt end up purple. LOL
cailes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #255
IndyYeah

I thought the same cruise ship thingy. I keep thinking of the movie Titanic when they are peering over the edge-scene. Kinda like the purple. But you know the thing does look imposing at that angle.

Last edited by IndyYeah; January 10th, 2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added a word.
IndyYeah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #256
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
My father in law stayed with us for the holidays and when we took him down on the avenue, his words, "Its going to be purple??"

*doink*

The funny thing though is that after explaining it, he seemed to think it was going to be a nice place once finished as long as it didnt end up purple. LOL
Or in other words, as long as it doesn't stick out in the crowd and blends in like a nice little clone.

My parents would probably say the same thing. :-)
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #257
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

I'll try to remember my camera next week. The window I look out at work looks down on 3 Mass. I'm on the 12th floor of Indiana Square. It's coming along nicely.
mobyhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #258
IndyYeah

Are the balconies going to be a real curve, or have the flat part like the frame of it is?
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #259
sbstn

Likes (Received): 5

i think its ganna be pretty cool. i passed by there today and cant wait for it to be done.
sbstn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #260
runNgunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
I thought the same cruise ship thingy. I keep thinking of the movie Titanic when they are peering over the edge-scene. Kinda like the purple. But you know the thing does look imposing at that angle.
From that angle, it looks like it will be a good anchor for Mass Ave. (Bad pun intended.)
runNgunn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
indianapolis