daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:19 PM   #261
SpiderMonkey

Likes (Received): 36

Here are a few pics from earlier today.

SpiderMonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:17 AM   #262
ak72

Likes (Received): 1

It still amazes me how much of an impact this building makes. Certainly an entirely brick building would have looked better but... I don't think the white will look horrible. We'll have to see the final project. At any rate, this is a great infill project.
ak72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:42 AM   #263
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

It isn't white, it's egg shell you serf! >=0
Anyhow, I like it. It is modern yet blends in with the victorian beauties around it.
I love the height too.
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 12:57 AM   #264
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMonkey View Post
I'm not sure about that first floor yet. It looks like any business entrances will be via lobby.

ak72...

One day we'll be farther north on Mass Ave, say at the Old Point. We'll be looking south at the great new glass on One Indiana Square, but our view will be partially obstructed by a giant beige wall. The view from Omalia's parking lot says it all. If you haven't had a chance yet, check it out.

It's going to look like a giant beige Carnival Cruise ship just docked on Mass Ave.

I applaud your optimism, but it's really going to damage the Mass Ave Neighborhood skyline when viewed from the north or east. The only things that are going to save the view are decent-height developments on the lots north and east of it. (Which the developer probably anticipated and is why they went with such a craptastic surface.)
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:41 AM   #265
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

I wonder what the eventual height limit, and how high buildings in the future will top out at on Mass Av? We discussed this somewhat last summer, I am sure it will be some time before another building goes up. I am thinking 4 or 5 floors like the race car guys place up the road.

Last edited by IndyYeah; January 23rd, 2009 at 03:42 AM. Reason: changed run-on sentence.
IndyYeah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:55 PM   #266
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Able- I don't share your concerns. I think this is great for the area and any time you get a chance to add more foot traffic, all the better.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:04 PM   #267
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
Able- I don't share your concerns. I think this is great for the area and any time you get a chance to add more foot traffic, all the better.
Are you referring to my first floor comment or my disdain for giant beige walls?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:01 PM   #268
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

IndyYeah is right - the historic district overlay put in after 3Mass will guarantee nothing over 5 stories goes in, more or less.
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #269
socrates#1fan

What do you propose we do with historic districts?
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #270
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

I think there are some probably truly genuine historic districts. The North Meridian district and perhaps Lockerbie Square come to mind. But I would rather see is individual structure landmarking rather than districts. Also, where there is a district, the guidelines should be written to make it much more difficult for arbitrary rejections that use the guise of historic preservation to achieve other land use goals like density reduction.

Finally, we need to encourage redevelopment and density, not be against progress or throwing red tape in the way of development. Today it requires almost herculean determination - or boatloads of clout - to build anything in the center city.

Speaking of which, a more pressing concern is a new zoning ordinance for central Marion County that doesn't mandate suburban style redevelopment.
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #271
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
Are you referring to my first floor comment or my disdain for giant beige walls?
The design being a "cruise ship."
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #272
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson758 View Post
The design being a "cruise ship."
So you're in the "I see a birthday cake" crowd?
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #273
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
I think there are some probably truly genuine historic districts. The North Meridian district and perhaps Lockerbie Square come to mind. But I would rather see is individual structure landmarking rather than districts. Also, where there is a district, the guidelines should be written to make it much more difficult for arbitrary rejections that use the guise of historic preservation to achieve other land use goals like density reduction.

Finally, we need to encourage redevelopment and density, not be against progress or throwing red tape in the way of development. Today it requires almost herculean determination - or boatloads of clout - to build anything in the center city.

Speaking of which, a more pressing concern is a new zoning ordinance for central Marion County that doesn't mandate suburban style redevelopment.
I like your ideas about changing guidelines and limitations.
However, I think when it comes to historic buildings themselves it is pretty well done. Districts are designed to preserve whole historic areas. However, if there is empty space or structures without historic value(like a 1960's gas station.) they should be cleared and developed in a dense fashion. A 30 story tower next to 19th century mansions probably wouldn't work, but rowhouses, condos, etc shouldn't be an issue. As a city we should preserve the areas of history we have(especially after we razed half the city in the 20th century).
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #274
SpiderMonkey

Likes (Received): 36

They have removed the plastic from the above photos to reveal a light tan colored nearly stucco looking finish on those two floors. It doesn't look too bad but it is toned down with it sitting between brick. I anticipate that this is about what it will look like over the rest of the building as well. Very reminiscent of the look to the Villagio.
SpiderMonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #275
pig
oink^

Likes (Received): 65

Taken this weekend:

pig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #276
socrates#1fan

The Vienna(the building on the corner in the mid-right.) used to have a corner tiled dome with finials. Just a spoon full of history there.
I like it. That avenue lot to the left needs to be filled with some small development.
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #277
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMonkey View Post
Very reminiscent of the look to the Villagio.
That's what I was afraid of.
Old January 28th, 2009, 04:10 AM   #278
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

At least this is a "nicer" version of the Villagio. This is not as cheap looking as that thing! I am glad some nice small buildings that are quite old are around. Nice to have some historic buildings decorate the area.
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #279
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
At least this is a "nicer" version of the Villagio. This is not as cheap looking as that thing!
You're right, 3 Mass Ave got things right for the most part, regarding urban development. It's just lacking in the aesthetic department.
Old January 31st, 2009, 05:20 AM   #280
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

I saw the new "white" part on the fifth and sixth floors of the NW side of 3 Mass Ave today. It looked better than I was expecting. While driving past, the view of the white material looked more like a "stony" (limestone type?) surface as opposed to a pseudo-pressed stucco look, like I was afraid of. Not too bad. Now my concern is what the upper four floors will look like. If it is all the same white material, I think it will be a little too much of that. Hopefully there will be a few other materials to provide at least a little more contrast. Perhaps the balconies will have some metal or brick trim or something to provide a change from all white. Also - with its green roof, I guess there will be some green plantings up there as well that will help add a little color. I guess we should know by April or so --- maybe sooner.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
indianapolis