daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #301
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

Definitely at NE corner of Mass and College. Also - the SW corner of Mass and Alabama - just across Alabama Street to the west from Marsh / O'Malias. That parking lot needs to be replaced with a new flat-iron.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #302
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Let us protest for flat-irons!!

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #303
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
Definitely at NE corner of Mass and College. Also - the SW corner of Mass and Alabama - just across Alabama Street to the west from Marsh / O'Malias. That parking lot needs to be replaced with a new flat-iron.
Why don't we just say they need to be at pretty much any undeveloped intersection along what is left of the diagonals! That includes the soft spoken loner, Fort Wayne Avenue.
Old February 14th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #304
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
Why don't we just say they need to be at pretty much any undeveloped intersection along what is left of the diagonals! That includes the soft spoken loner, Fort Wayne Avenue.
About a year ago, a building by the Zipper Building was up for sale. Cannot remember what happend with it. It had a small triangle lot. My point is maybe some day a neat lot will get snatched up and someone will give the city back a cool Flatiron. I think that small lot was a triangle, either way it looked neat for a cool vision.
Old March 4th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #305
cailes

Likes (Received): 102

Was on the end of the avenue last night getting some pizza. Had my point and shoot. Thought a few would work here on the board.

Enjoy

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
cailes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:36 AM   #306
IndyYeah

I like the cavernous type feel that 3 Mass gives the area. Instead of openness, feels neighborhoody.
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #307
socrates#1fan

Am I the only one who dislikes the ground level?
They could have done something great with it, like stores and a more interesting entrance.
The entrance looks like a copy of McNivens(or whatever it is called) except stripped of decorations.

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:07 AM   #308
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
Um, nope. I've been bitchin' about it for weeks.
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #309
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
They could have done something great with it, like stores and a more interesting entrance.
The entrance looks like a copy of McNivens(or whatever it is called) except stripped of decorations.
Yeah, the ground level is pretty bad. I'm less impressed with the architectural details of this building every day. Sure, the massing and land use are good, but they stopped well short of making this an interesting building.

The fly-through video shows awnings above the retail spaces and some flare sticking out above the main entrance. We'll see how those turn out.
Old March 6th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #310
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post

The fly-through video shows awnings above the retail spaces and some flare sticking out above the main entrance. We'll see how those turn out.
I rewatched the fly-through. I just noticed that the street-level windows are tinted in it. If they do that, so help me... :-)
Old March 6th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #311
IndyYeah

I was picturing a wider-more enticing entrance. I had seen the video, and went too fast for me. Maybe There was a way to stop it to take it all in. Still like the big feel of it, but that ground level?
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #312
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
I rewatched the fly-through. I just noticed that the street-level windows are tinted in it. If they do that, so help me... :-)
Thankfully the odds of that are pretty low! The windows are already in. To tint them now would require pimpmobile-style aftermarket tinting, which doesn't really make sense. Not that tinting makes sense in general....
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #313
IndyYeah

Still like this building and the height. When I was downtown at the circle 2 weeks ago, I am still floored that the newer replacement buildings on the circle are so bland, no real dramatic touches. Still like the Germanic looking one. As for this building, at least it is somewhat in the right direction and has some character. I would have went further, but the step is at least not a plain-bad building.
Old March 8th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #314
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
Still like this building and the height. When I was downtown at the circle 2 weeks ago, I am still floored that the newer replacement buildings on the circle are so bland, no real dramatic touches. Still like the Germanic looking one. As for this building, at least it is somewhat in the right direction and has some character. I would have went further, but the step is at least not a plain-bad building.
What are you talking about?

I do think, that glass bank on the circle needs to be faced in some kind of stone (it doesn't have to be ornate) so it can go with the sort of formal limestone feel.

Old March 8th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #315
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae

Likes (Received): 187

This building looks like its giving the middle finger to the near northeast side in the same way the villagio gives the finger to fountain square.I have officially wiped my butt with any respect I had for this building.
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #316
IndyYeah

Quote:
What are you talking about?

I do think, that glass bank on the circle needs to be faced in some kind of stone (it doesn't have to be ornate) so it can go with the sort of formal limestone feel.
Go to the circle, look at the newer or refaced buildings and that is what I am talking about. If you like the newer ones, or if they were refaced with a newer look, that is my point. I do not like them, I am not going to say that I like them, to act as though everything on the circle is beautiful! Not everything is. Got it?
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #317
ak72

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday_Bloody_Sundae View Post
This building looks like its giving the middle finger to the near northeast side in the same way the villagio gives the finger to fountain square.I have officially wiped my butt with any respect I had for this building.
Let them finish first. And comparing this to the villagio is a stretch. At least this aligns to the street and is mostly brick.

As for me, I will wait to see the finishing touches to judge.
ak72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #318
ablerock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak72 View Post
Let them finish first. And comparing this to the villagio is a stretch. At least this aligns to the street and is mostly brick.

As for me, I will wait to see the finishing touches to judge.
Your point about aligning to the street is right, but this building definitely isn't mostly brick. :-)

I'd say it's probably 25% brick and 75% EIFS, minus the glass and limestone, of course. The brick is really only on the first 6 floors of the Mass Ave Facade. It's also on the base of the building and there's a tiny bit along New York, but other than that this building is made out of beige EIFS.
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #319
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
Go to the circle, look at the newer or refaced buildings and that is what I am talking about. If you like the newer ones, or if they were refaced with a newer look, that is my point. I do not like them, I am not going to say that I like them, to act as though everything on the circle is beautiful! Not everything is. Got it?
Which structure?
The one where the English hotel used to be?
I'm confused!

Old March 9th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #320
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday_Bloody_Sundae View Post
The Villagio is a cheap ass attempt at 'traditional'.
It looks like suburban traditional.
It is a complete insult to that area.

This, I'm not sure, at least it sort of flows well and is faced with brick.
I am angry that it does not have street level retail.

Tags
indianapolis