daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #341
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
Those architects obviously know what they're doing, whereas the "designers" of 3 Mass, Schmidt (looks like) Ass-ociates do not.

Seriously, Schmidt Associates should be banned from creating another building in Indy.
I actually think 3 Mass Ave is much nicer than that (as far as architecture goes).
Don't you think it is a little much to say such things?
This isn't the greatest design, but it isn't a bad one either.
I think they should have worked on using more brick where they used EIFS and on street level shops but other than that I like the design.
It reminds me of structures in Athens (and I'm not talking about classical).

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #342
AmericanDirt

Likes (Received): 3

Is it just me, or does the fenestration on the first floor appear almost to discourage retail? It seems far more suitable for FIRE or other white-collar offices, but it would be hard for me to believe a good restaurant or merchandiser would want to locate there.
AmericanDirt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 09:31 PM   #343
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Rock View Post
Apparently 21 of the 44 units have been "sold". That's nearly half and this building isn't even complete yet. I'd say that is pretty impressive.
If their online unit sales are up-to-date, just one unit has been sold in the four months since Indy Rock's update back on 4/30 (though I noted back then that the majority of those sales occurred near the groundbreaking). Sales on the cheaper floors are good: 17 of 21 units sold on floors 3-5. Sales of the larger, more expensive units are abysmal: just 5 of 23 units sold on floors 6 and above.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 05:10 PM   #344
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae

Likes (Received): 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
If their online unit sales are up-to-date, just one unit has been sold in the four months since Indy Rock's update back on 4/30 (though I noted back then that the majority of those sales occurred near the groundbreaking). Sales on the cheaper floors are good: 17 of 21 units sold on floors 3-5. Sales of the larger, more expensive units are abysmal: just 5 of 23 units sold on floors 6 and above.
Most people in the Indianapolis area dont have a million or so to spend on a home. If they do, most are not urban dwellers. The pricing on any of the recent condo buildings is not practical for the population that actually wants to live downtown. Villagio still has some vacancy....if you look at the properties for sale downtown...you can buy a lot nicer than any of the newer projects in a refurbished building in the wholesale.
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:22 AM   #345
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

I was told that this will not have on-site parking. I thought that the basement part was a parking garage. Just a discussion I had with a local the other day. Seems odd if it is true.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:54 AM   #346
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
I was told that this will not have on-site parking. I thought that the basement part was a parking garage. Just a discussion I had with a local the other day. Seems odd if it is true.
There's parking. Just go to http://3mass.com/ and click on 'Floor Plans' and you can see that there are two underground parking levels.

Urban Times has a small article this month mentioning that one of the retail spaces on the Mass Ave side has been leased, to open as a "quiet bar" called The Hub.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 03:51 AM   #347
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrND View Post
There's parking. Just go to http://3mass.com/ and click on 'Floor Plans' and you can see that there are two underground parking levels.

Urban Times has a small article this month mentioning that one of the retail spaces on the Mass Ave side has been leased, to open as a "quiet bar" called The Hub.
Thanks. The person that I was talking to must have been thinking of another building. Seems as though these were the condos in question. Thanks again.
Old October 6th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #348
cailes

Likes (Received): 102

Since there hasnt been a picture posted proper in a while, I snapped this on the way home from school last night

image hosted on flickr
cailes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 02:26 AM   #349
IndyYeah

How is this thing coming along? I still feel that it would be something that Austin, Tx. would have. However, it would look nicer, in my opinion.
Old October 21st, 2009, 03:51 AM   #350
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1229

It pretty much is done. I suppose they're doing plenty of interior work still - and there is supposed to be a new restaurant / lounge going in on the first floor pretty soon. Primarily, they're still trying to sell the upper floor condos at this point. About half of the condos have been sold - mostly on the lower floors, where the lower priced units are located.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:03 PM   #351
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Did we talk about the "quiet bar" that's going in on the first floor?

http://www.urbantimesonline.com/?p=786
Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:26 AM   #352
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Likes (Received): 33

Pictutres of 3 Mass from 10/21/2009

EddieB317 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 01:34 AM   #353
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Cruise Ship

I think that it looks like they chopped the top off of a cruise ship and plopped it on top of a building. I like it!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:28 PM   #354
IndyYeah

Something about "the deck", I thought would not have the framing look to it. I thought it would be smooth on the rounded parts.
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #355
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

3 Mass Picture Update 10/28/2009

It seems odd to me that the fire department water supply would be in such a bad place. I think they should have put more emphasis on the entrance of the building. (I suppose that they did have rather limited space, but still...)

Old October 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #356
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

Thanks for all of the pics EddieB!

I really like the front-looking shot from above Mass Ave. I think this is easily the best infill the downtown has seen in quite some time.
Old October 29th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #357
IndyYeah

The Fire Dept. thing looks odd there.
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #358
quigley
Brandon

I wonder if it is against code to put two large planters in the entry way to hide it. I'm sure it is but it would also help bring focus on the entry way.

------
Brandon Quigley
theqstyle.com
quigley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #359
EddieB317
DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX

Yeah, but there also isn't much room to put planters. The sidewalk is bigger than many in Indianapolis, but this is still rather narrow for most downtown areas.

As for the entire entrance, I think that this building should have had a great permanent glass/stainless awning to really add curb appeal to the condo's. They could have also looked to get the city to let them incorporate the parking divider in front of the entry into some kind of grander entrance walkway...

The building is still great, but I think it could have added more to the community feeling on the street level of Mass Ave.

I happen to think that things are going to happen for Indianapolis...
Old October 30th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #360
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB317 View Post
Yeah, but there also isn't much room to put planters. The sidewalk is bigger than many in Indianapolis, but this is still rather narrow for most downtown areas.

As for the entire entrance, I think that this building should have had a great permanent glass/stainless awning to really add curb appeal to the condo's. They could have also looked to get the city to let them incorporate the parking divider in front of the entry into some kind of grander entrance walkway...

The building is still great, but I think it could have added more to the community feeling on the street level of Mass Ave.
My guess is that they're not done with the ground level flourishes. There will almost certainly be awnings for the retail spaces, they might just be waiting for businesses to move in. Actually, if you watch the fly-through video on their site, it shows awnings. Interestingly, it also shows a glass awning above the resident entrance -- you may get your wish yet!

Tags
indianapolis