daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #61
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaptownBoy View Post
Actually, I'm serious. The old City Hall has been used for a myriad of functions and has shown its age since the 70's. Once the core expands eastward, it could be sitting on some nice real estate.

Don't get me wrong--if they (potential developers) can find an adaptive re-use for the building, that's fine. I would much rather see that than another Firehouse Square, or a gravel surface lot.
You've got to be crazy. I'd rather see the old city hall sit on that sight over even a 60 story highrise anyday!
Thats a major chunk of Indy history! We already lost the courthouse.
I'v been inside the old city hall, it is in pretty good shape. It could use some work, but I dont think it needs demolished.
You make it sound as if the old city hall is an eyesore. That structure is of extreme signifigance beyond most structures in downtown Indy(architecture and historical wise).

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #62
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
You've got to be crazy. I'd rather see the old city hall sit on that sight over even a 60 story highrise anyday!
Thats a major chunk of Indy history! We already lost the courthouse.
I'v been inside the old city hall, it is in pretty good shape. It could use some work, but I dont think it needs demolished.
You make it sound as if the old city hall is an eyesore. That structure is of extreme signifigance beyond most structures in downtown Indy(architecture and historical wise).
I never implied that building was an eyesore at all. What I did imply was that it for the most part, the old City Hall has run its course and once the core densifies, there wont be much practicality of a 4 story building (plus the parking lot) in the immediate core. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but the city's eventually going to expand in that direction.

And like I said, if they can re-use it, that's fine too.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #63
Unionstation13

Quote:
I never implied that building was an eyesore at all. What I did imply was that it for the most part, the old City Hall has run its course and once the core densifies, there wont be much practicality of a 4 story building (plus the parking lot) in the immediate core. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but the city's eventually going to expand in that direction.

And like I said, if they can re-use it, that's fine too.
How far can downtown expand eastward though?
Indianapolis has been very good about historic preservation in its past few years, but I dont think the city hall would be demolished just do to the fact that its the old city hall. Even in the next century when downtown has many more highrises, lowrise historical structures would probably reused, and just added onto(like the Omega communications building is being reused in the penn centre). Downtown will probably expand eastward, untill it reaches Lockerbie and Chatham arch, which are pretty strict historical districts.
I really see downtown expanding southward, big time.
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:00 AM   #64
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
How far can downtown expand eastward though?
Indianapolis has been very good about historic preservation in its past few years, but I dont think the city hall would be demolished just do to the fact that its the old city hall. Even in the next century when downtown has many more highrises, lowrise historical structures would probably reused, and just added onto(like the Omega communications building is being reused in the penn centre). Downtown will probably expand eastward, untill it reaches Lockerbie and Chatham arch, which are pretty strict historical districts.
I really see downtown expanding southward, big time.
Emporis says that city hall was put on the national historic register in 1974. Can these historic buildings eventually be brought down? Out of neglect? Or considered unusable? As many old buildings as possible need to be saved.
IndyYeah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:32 AM   #65
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
Emporis says that city hall was put on the national historic register in 1974. Can these historic buildings eventually be brought down? Out of neglect? Or considered unusable? As many old buildings as possible need to be saved.
I do not approve of keeping a dangerouse unsalvagable structure up because it is historic.
Its possible, many medival structures in Europe today have been torn down do to rotten frames.
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #66
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Now if only we can only get someone to pitch a 12-story for the City Hall site...we'd be in business then.
Cease with the crazy-talk!

We've got enough parking lots to go around for decades. There is no reason to tear that building down anytime soon, if ever.

I did notice a new For-Sale sign for the definitely-needs-to-be-torn-down Bail-Bonds shop and lot across the street from the City Hall and Firehouse Square. That needs to be developed into a mid-rise. Then they can tear down Firehouse square and build another one.
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #67
Unionstation13

I wish someone would restore the strip of lowrises near the city market where another bail-bonds is.
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #68
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

They were pumping concrete on the site this morning. That's all I can tell other than the deep whole.
mobyhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #69
SpiderMonkey

Likes (Received): 36

They are pouring the pylons for the garage and the garage walls. Not much else. I have a great vantage point as our office sits right across the street. We can look right down into the hole. I'll post an update once I see some more activity going on.
SpiderMonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #70
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMonkey View Post
They are pouring the pylons for the garage and the garage walls. Not much else. I have a great vantage point as our office sits right across the street. We can look right down into the hole. I'll post an update once I see some more activity going on.
I take it you're in the Marrott? Yes keep us posted. The webcam at 3mass.com doesn't do any justice right now.
mobyhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #71
cityfan

Likes (Received): 1

Those terraces are gonna be beautiful.

The construction cam view is terrible. They might as well put the camera out by the airport.

Indianapolis: Fastest growing metro (over 1,000,000) in the Midwest. Growth rate of 7.04% between 2000 and 2005.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...bsa-01-fmt.csv
cityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:14 PM   #72
SpiderMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobyhead View Post
I take it you're in the Marrott? Yes keep us posted. The webcam at 3mass.com doesn't do any justice right now.
Yeah, I'm in the Marrott. Great views of 3 Mass, cultural trail and the reclad. I find myself just staring out the window everyonce in a while taking it all in.
Old December 28th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #73
SpiderMonkey

They have began laying the concrete for the garage floor. They also were doing some digging yesterday and it looks like they have hit the water table. There is a nice hole filled with water about 10 feet below the area where they are laying concrete. They are making nice progress though. Once the garage is complete I think they will really start to make progress in the spring.
Old December 29th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #74
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMonkey View Post
They have began laying the concrete for the garage floor. They also were doing some digging yesterday and it looks like they have hit the water table. There is a nice hole filled with water about 10 feet below the area where they are laying concrete. They are making nice progress though. Once the garage is complete I think they will really start to make progress in the spring.
I love seeing the steel framework of buildings going up. But that Mass area is such a neat place to walk around. This building will really blend in.
IndyYeah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #75
IndyIndependent

Any new PICtures of this and/or One Indiana Square would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you...

Last edited by IndyIndependent; December 29th, 2007 at 09:18 PM.
IndyIndependent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #76
SpiderMonkey

They have started to add the second level to the garage along New York. They also started place pvc for drainage I am guessing.

I will bring my camera in tomorrow and try to post some photos of 3 Mass from my office across the street.
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #77
Babbage08

Quote:
They have started to add the second level to the garage along New York. They also started place pvc for drainage I am guessing.

I will bring my camera in tomorrow and try to post some photos of 3 Mass from my office across the street.
Please do. I've looked at the webcam on their site a couple times, can't really tell whats going on other than that there's a large hole in the ground.
Babbage08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #78
SpiderMonkey

Here are a couple shots from the office. Sorry for the poor quality, I was dealing with the windows and the rain, but it should give everyone at least an idea of where they are to date.

Last edited by SpiderMonkey; January 8th, 2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #79
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Man, great shots. You've really got the angle! I'm sure I speak for everybody when I say we'd love it if you could provide a couple shots like those every once in a while.
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #80
SpiderMonkey

Not a problem.

Tags
indianapolis