daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2008, 11:50 PM   #141
SpiderMonkey

Likes (Received): 37

May 1, 2008

And a couple of The Maxwell

SpiderMonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:41 PM   #142
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Alright, 3Mass is above street level. She will be rising quickly now!
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #143
SpiderMonkey

Likes (Received): 37

The Steele is Going Up Fast.

SpiderMonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #144
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

This is such an exciting project and one of the best infill projects around! I can't wait to see this rise above the surrounding structures.
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #145
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 116

SpiderMonkey, any photos you could update us with? It has been about 3 weeks...
unvrsty07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:07 PM   #146
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

These are already a little old, but here are a couple shots I took of 3 Mass during the forum meetup (June 14th?). They're definitely up to the 4th floor already and may even be working on the 5th by now.

Old July 30th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #147
CorrND
Moderator Chris

No photos for now, but as of yesterday they're working on the steel structure around the 8th floor. Steel work is fully done through 6 floors (the main facade before it starts to step back) mostly done on the 7th and some of the vertical steel is up for the 8th. This building is going to have quite the presence in that area.

Last edited by CorrND; July 30th, 2008 at 03:54 PM.
CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #148
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

It may be my inner-nerd but in the last photo the Schmidt associates have the same logo as the triforce from the Zelda games.

Last edited by socrates#1fan; July 30th, 2008 at 11:39 PM.
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #149
ablerock

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
It may be my inner-nerd but in the last photo the Schmidt associates has the same logo as the triforce from the Zelda games.
LOL!
Old July 31st, 2008, 10:51 PM   #150
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

It's a shame that thanks to the historic district overlay put in place on Mass Ave., we'll never get another building like 3Mass on that street again.
Old July 31st, 2008, 11:12 PM   #151
SwimINindy
Drew

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
It's a shame that thanks to the historic district overlay put in place on Mass Ave., we'll never get another building like 3Mass on that street again.
I am not going to lie, I am totally ignorant of what a historic district overlay is... and why it prevents future buildings like 3Mass Ave. Could some one fill me in ?
SwimINindy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:08 AM   #152
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimINindy View Post
I am not going to lie, I am totally ignorant of what a historic district overlay is... and why it prevents future buildings like 3Mass Ave. Could some one fill me in ?
It doesn't specifically prohibit buildings as tall as 3Mass, but they're unlikely to allow something that tall again. 3Mass had two things going for it: one, it was approved before the land it sits on was officially incorporated into the historical district and two, it sits at the extreme southern end of Mass Ave, very close to the very tall structures in the CBD (One Indiana Square specifically).

Here's what the historical district plan says in the recommendations for Mass Ave commercial subsection:

Massachusetts Avenue is the primary commercial corridor and represents an urban streetscape that possesses a “big city” feel. The area was designated in 2004 as one of Indianapolis’six cultural districts, due to its concentration of art galleries, performing arts theatres, eclectic shops, and public art. Historic commercial buildings front the corridor and generally range in height from 2-4 stories.

They're likely to push for any new construction to generally be in that 2-4 story range. Somebody might be able to get 5 through, but probably not 6 and certainly not 10 like we're seeing with 3Mass.
Old August 1st, 2008, 12:10 AM   #153
arenn

The entire core length of Mass Ave is in a historic district. That means that any proposed development needs to go through the IHPC, which is enthalled to neighborhood groups that are largely anti-density. I believe the targeted design standards for the area also specify a maximum building height of 4-5 stories.
Old August 1st, 2008, 06:20 PM   #154
SwimINindy
Drew

Likes (Received): 1

All right, Thanks for the info CorrND! Thats slightly unfortunate to hear about those restrictions but perhaps with time, gentrification, and a push from the public, mass ave will have no where to go but a little higher up.
SwimINindy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 12:33 AM   #155
IndyYeah

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimINindy View Post
All right, Thanks for the info CorrND! Thats slightly unfortunate to hear about those restrictions but perhaps with time, gentrification, and a push from the public, mass ave will have no where to go but a little higher up.
Mass Av. is not very long if I am not mistaken. I always feel like I am missing an area when I am there. Is there alot of room for many more projects on that road? Larger buildings can be put up in many parts of downtown, so I do not feel that Mass Av. is really missing anything if another 10 story residential building is not put up.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 12:38 AM   #156
IndyYeah

Wikipedia wants the Mass Av. profile updated.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 01:06 AM   #157
pig
oink^

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyYeah View Post
Mass Av. is not very long if I am not mistaken. I always feel like I am missing an area when I am there. Is there alot of room for many more projects on that road? Larger buildings can be put up in many parts of downtown, so I do not feel that Mass Av. is really missing anything if another 10 story residential building is not put up.
There are still a half-dozen or so undeveloped lots of decent size on Mass.
pig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 01:14 AM   #158
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig View Post
There are still a half-dozen or so undeveloped lots of decent size on Mass.
I am glad that Todd Mauer was able to get 3 Mass passed, and now being built. I must say, in Chicago, and recently in Louisville, 10 story or more buildings in high density places with sidewalk traffic seem to grab my attention. The whole scene, but not sure anything over 4 stories will happen again on Mass Av..
Old August 2nd, 2008, 04:23 PM   #159
arenn

There is a ton of vacant land on Mass Ave and the surrounding streets. As I've often noted, to some extend Mass Ave. is like one of those fake western towns on a Hollywood set. Look behind the facade (or the one building fronting Mass Ave) and there is nothing there.

The land prices in the area are astonishing, however. Given the relatively low cost of land-banking, people are holding out for very, very high prices for lots. Combine this with a neighborhood and city that doesn't want you to build much on your very expensive lot, and you send up with what we see: limited development and extremely expensive condos that end up as pieds-à-terre for race car drivers who are only in town one month a year.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 07:30 PM   #160
GarfieldPark

Likes (Received): 1219

The main area where I hope to see much future development is around the area at the intersection of College and Mass Ave. There are about four or five blocks along College - between North and up to 10th that could be developed with a bunch of 3 - 6 story buildings - maybe higher. That area is a little bit away from Chatham Arch and Lockerbie - and in order to get units with views, a few of them would need to be taller than the Mill #9 and 757 Mass Ave Buildings. With five blocks of 4 - 5 story residences with first floor commercial - you could add 500 - 700 or more hopefully - new residential units.
GarfieldPark no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
indianapolis