daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2008, 05:19 PM   #161
cwilson758
Cory

Likes (Received): 15

lots of development options on Mass Ave. The intersections have been tragically ignored and IMO, are what needs targeted in the very near future. If we could get some nice flat-iron buildings at all the intersections, or at the very least, good, solid midrises, then the area will be much better.

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2008, 06:24 PM   #162
mobyhead
Coleman the Barbarian

Likes (Received): 14

Taken 8/3....

mobyhead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 08:34 PM   #163
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

It seems a bit out of place.
If I remember correctly the only tall structure in the Mass ave area was some brutalist apartment building near the Murat.
I don't understand everyone and their thrill for skyscrapers. Skyscrapers should ONLY be constructed when needed. The only highrise development I see like this in Mass ave ever again would be purely residential. 3 Mass Ave has some decent architecture. It is done in a smart way. Timeless yet sleek.
My question is, why is there this love for highrises? If there was such a demand for that area why arent they constructing 10-20 highrises on empty lots rather than townhouses and single units?
Building highrises is risky business. It is easy to have a dozen half-filled highrises and to me, that sort of vacancy isn't worth it.
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:25 PM   #164
Babbage08

Likes (Received): 0

Socrates - how exactly did you find this site anyway? Skyscrapercity? I think you'll find a higher proportion of people in favor of skyscrapers around here. Besides, who doesn't like a cool looking skyline that you can see from miles away?
Babbage08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:46 PM   #165
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

No one advocates skyscrapers on Mass Ave, but 2-4 stories is not reasonable. There is a long history of midrise structures in the area. And 6-10 stories with appropriate step backs would be just fine there.

I agree that east of College out of the historic district is the best place for more infill like 707 E North St. I'd lot to see somebody stick a 10 story tower on the Scholar's Inn parking lot, but I hear the restaurant wants a fortune for it.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 10:47 PM   #166
indyfiend
INDYFIEND

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarfieldPark View Post
The main area where I hope to see much future development is around the area at the intersection of College and Mass Ave. There are about four or five blocks along College - between North and up to 10th that could be developed with a bunch of 3 - 6 story buildings - maybe higher. That area is a little bit away from Chatham Arch and Lockerbie - and in order to get units with views, a few of them would need to be taller than the Mill #9 and 757 Mass Ave Buildings. With five blocks of 4 - 5 story residences with first floor commercial - you could add 500 - 700 or more hopefully - new residential units.
Totally agree. New developements at Mass Ave and College, along with the developement of the old Coke plant would really add a whole new dimension.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:42 PM   #167
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

If I had my drothers, the area of Mass Ave I'd like to see tackled first is the intersection of Alabama, Mass and Vermont. There's already a pretty good vibe around there. However, if you look at the intersection itself, only 2 of 6 points are developed. Of the 4 undeveloped points, one is a pocket park and the other 3 are well-used parking lots that will probably be tough to acquire without somehow replacing the spaces.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:56 PM   #168
IndyYeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
It seems a bit out of place.
If I remember correctly the only tall structure in the Mass ave area was some brutalist apartment building near the Murat.
I don't understand everyone and their thrill for skyscrapers. Skyscrapers should ONLY be constructed when needed. The only highrise development I see like this in Mass ave ever again would be purely residential. 3 Mass Ave has some decent architecture. It is done in a smart way. Timeless yet sleek.
My question is, why is there this love for highrises? If there was such a demand for that area why arent they constructing 10-20 highrises on empty lots rather than townhouses and single units?
Building highrises is risky business. It is easy to have a dozen half-filled highrises and to me, that sort of vacancy isn't worth it.
Indianapolis will have its fill of skyscrapers in the future. Right now we should at least be thanksful that what is going up is going up! 3 Mass, and the JW could easily have be cut shorter a few floors or more each, with terrible architecture. I want to see more skyscrapers, and one day the market will be able to absorb it. Again, What is the JW considered, a highrise, mid, or a skyscraper?
Old August 4th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #169
ak72

Likes (Received): 1

JW is a highrise.

As for skyscrapers in Indy, no skyscrapers are being built or planned right now, and only one one highrise is in the works. I think what will really be beneficial to Indy as a true urban center is filling in all those parking lots with some sort of development, those spots can be put underground or withing the building itself. I think in a few years we will see a lot of projects in Indy. If all of this (707 North, 757 Mass, 3 Mass, Maxwell, Cosmopolitan, Ralston, ect) is a time of economic uncertainty, imagine the development in the next economic boom time.

Getting the super bowl practically pays for the stadium. Mark my words, once it gets a little closer, there will be a lot of development around the luke. Indy is growing, and if gas stays high, some of hose folks from outside the loop will start moving back in. The future for the city of Indy looks bright. Now it is up to our leaders to guide us in the right direction.
ak72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #170
arenn

You all know my view: skyscraper/high-rise design in Indianapolis has been terrible, and the need for lots of parking leads to most awful designs that are bad for the urban fabric.

I'd much rather see a downtown full of 3Mass and 707 E. North St. than a bunch of high rises like the AUL Tower or the Indiana National Bank building.
Old August 4th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #171
UrbanIndy

Likes (Received): 27

I agree with Arenn on this one. Our mass transit is too poor to handle skyscrapers without too much of a sacrifice for cars. Heck even the mid-rise Ralston Square has over 500 spaces planned.

I'd like to comment to Babbage08 and Socrates#1fan, for the most part I'm not a big fan of skyscrapers, and I realize that's a crazy thing to post on a site called "skyscraper city". My favorite part of NYC is Brooklyn, my favorite parts of Chicago are the surrounding neighborhoods outside the loop, the list goes on. 3 Mass Ave is more in the neighborhood mold than the skyscraper mold, which is why I'm excited about it.
Old August 16th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #172
arenn

Pic from last week.

image hosted on flickr
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #173
IndyYeah

Love this! How much higher will they go? Getting close to the top.
Old August 16th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #174
ak72

That picture shows 8 stories, if you look at the webcam today they have all 10 stories finished in steel. I don't know much of construction but should they start the facade soon?
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:49 AM   #175
runwaydiva

3 Mass Avenue (I think) ha

It's having an impact..

runwaydiva no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 03:35 AM   #176
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Wow, I didn't realize that 3 Mass would be visible from I-70/I-65!!

This building will have more of an effect on the skyline than I thought.
Old August 19th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #177
arenn

It's also going to be visible from pretty far west along New York St.
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #178
ak72

The people on top will have some nice views!
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:28 AM   #179
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Who's going to be occupying these units? Urban dwellers, wealthy middle managers, or athletes a few days out of the year?
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 02:33 PM   #180
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

I noticed the other day that while the building is tiered back from the Hammond Block building and Mass Ave, there's a substantial wall all the way up to the 10th story on the NE edge of the building. It will be a dominant aspect of the view walking SW on Mass Ave., so I hope they considered the design of that space and didn't think of it it as a throw-away, "backside of the building" kind of aesthetic. We haven't seen a rendering of that view. If done well, it could really help with the visual massing building from the end of Mass Ave up to One Indiana Square.

Tags
indianapolis